UArizona

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

UArizona

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Re: UArizona

Post by Chicat »

UofA ‘til I die.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Totally tone deaf!!!

U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; U of A; ....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Weird
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No thanks
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

whichever administrator thought of this can fuck off and die

U of A
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Nope
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I really enjoy hearing the "U OF A U OF A U OF A" at non-McKale games on TV. That better not stop.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I hope they paid a lot of money to a marketing company to come up with this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:I hope they paid a lot of money to a marketing company to come up with this.
Eh, they probably made it the Marketing 340 class assignment for the semester and got a ton of free ideas.

But you get what you pay for...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dumb.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I hope they paid a lot of money to a marketing company to come up with this.
Eh, they probably made it the Marketing 340 class assignment for the semester and got a ton of free ideas.

But you get what you pay for...
Remember when they redesigned the "A" and paid an outside design agency for it? Maybe they learned from that debacle.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't care much because "UA" was already a bastardization of the "U of A", and it will always be the U of A for me.

By the way, the stupidity is underscored by not just going with "Arizona". Don't tell me about web searches. There will never be a UMichigan.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Same here LH, it has always been: "THEE University of Arizona". Rather have tUA like tOSU uses. There are advantages of being first, in this case 1885 for tUA.

I work for Cal Poly, and the school spent $340K to an outside firm to rebrand.

https://mustangnews.net/cal-poly-launch ... -branding/" target="_blank

and the university community hated it.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/opinion/e ... 19179.html" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The thought process behind rebranding a university is so fundamentally flawed and driven by people looking for job security.

A public university’s greatest asset is its alumni base, so why would they go through a process whereby they change all the branding those alumni came to associate with their time at the school?

What do we hear on these boards? Bring back the Cactus. Make the A bigger on the helmets. Go back to the 1999 uniforms.

What does the University do? “Let’s change to UArizona so no one knows what to even call us anymore...”

:?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

All initiated by administrators with no connection to the university beyond their jobs, all of which are tenuous at best. Just ignore it. They can force employees to put that nonsense in their email footers, but nobody has to use it in daily life.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think the problem is that the people who decide to rebrand don't bleed the colors to begin with. But in the end, it's actually all the alumni who don't buy into the rebranding who gain special status. It helps to define who we are as old people. Meanwhile, the tradition lives on regardless.

I remember how pissed off we all were in 1988 when the administration didn't consult with Associated Students, and paid six million dollars to a marketing firm to design the new block A. We hated the new block A. We all love it now, and those of us who rock the old block A are like priests with supernatural powers.

I probably shouldn't type this out loud, but when I drive along Speedway and see all those banners displaying the evolution of the block A from the 1920s to the present, I tear up a little, and then I park and cry, and then find a patch of real Arizona dirt to bathe in, dropping a few handfuls down my shorts. Then I just say "fuck it" and pee all over myself. It only happens once or twice a week maximum. Maximum.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Apparently SNL took the piss over UArizona:

https://tucson.com/news/local/live-from ... 4a463.html
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Could have gone with UAZ like UVA or UGA.
-JB
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:All initiated by administrators with no connection to the university beyond their jobs, all of which are tenuous at best. Just ignore it. They can force employees to put that nonsense in their email footers, but nobody has to use it in daily life.
I believe most media is going along with the request....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Apparently SNL took the piss over UArizona:

https://tucson.com/news/local/live-from ... 4a463.html
I somehow missed this.
And no, not all publicity is good publicity Miss Entry Level Marketing Assistant Trying to Put on a Brave Face.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I can't begin to tell you how often Robbins makes giant rooms full of people squirm, but sometimes it makes the news.

Today there's a story in the Daily Star where he walked up to a bunch of Native American students in a class, uninvited, and announced that he believes he's part Cherokee, and took a DNA test that discounted his belief, but he doubts the results and wants to take another test because he has "very high cheekbones."

This guy does not belong on a college campus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Heeke reads like a Trumpster, oblivious to scientific evidence.

https://www.kold.com/2019/11/05/uarizon ... 346dmxNjMk" target="_blank

TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - The University of Arizona issued a clarifying statement after some misunderstanding of its name change from UA to UArizona.

According to the press release last week, the communications department said on all press releases and other information coming from the school, it would use UArizona in headlines and for second references.

The University said its adoption of the name change was to assist the school with search engine optimization.

That's defined as "Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of increasing the quality and quantity of website traffic by increasing the visibility of a website or a web page to users of a web search engine."

When UA is typed into a search engine, Under Armour comes up first, generally followed by United Airlines and University of Alabama.

The University of Arizona is far down the list.

But type in UArizona, and the U of A tops the list.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:I can't begin to tell you how often Robbins makes giant rooms full of people squirm, but sometimes it makes the news.

Today there's a story in the Daily Star where he walked up to a bunch of Native American students in a class, uninvited, and announced that he believes he's part Cherokee, and took a DNA test that discounted his belief, but he doubts the results and wants to take another test because he has "very high cheekbones."

This guy does not belong on a college campus.

-JB
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote:Heeke reads like a Trumpster, oblivious to scientific evidence.

https://www.kold.com/2019/11/05/uarizon ... 346dmxNjMk" target="_blank

TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - The University of Arizona issued a clarifying statement after some misunderstanding of its name change from UA to UArizona.

According to the press release last week, the communications department said on all press releases and other information coming from the school, it would use UArizona in headlines and for second references.

The University said its adoption of the name change was to assist the school with search engine optimization.

That's defined as "Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of increasing the quality and quantity of website traffic by increasing the visibility of a website or a web page to users of a web search engine."

When UA is typed into a search engine, Under Armour comes up first, generally followed by United Airlines and University of Alabama.

The University of Arizona is far down the list.

But type in UArizona, and the U of A tops the list.
Try "U of A" - it's all Arizona!!!

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The talk of firing Robbins is growing exponentially this morning. Today's front-page investigative reporting in the Daily Star is quite a scandal. $14 million of university money on a no-bid contract to McKinsey & Co., the embodiment of corporate evil, for the university's new shit strategic plan.

And if I see him at the game tonight, I'm booing.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:The talk of firing Robbins is growing exponentially this morning. Today's front-page investigative reporting in the Daily Star is quite a scandal. $14 million of university money on a no-bid contract to McKinsey & Co., the embodiment of corporate evil, for the university's new shit strategic plan.

And if I see him at the game tonight, I'm booing.
Besides the consulting firm's associations with scandal (authoritarian governments, environmental exploitation, opioid marketing strategies, etc.), some of the tools mentioned seemed to be corporate boilerplate crap not suited to academic institutional environments.... $14 mil??? Damn!!!

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Exactly, pc, exactly
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

It will always be U of A.
It will always be Tempe Normal.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Here’s something annoying as fuck: the endless cordoning off of the Mall to keep the grass looking perfect. What is this shit? The Mall is for frisbee and naps and rolling around and shooting sharp retorts at Bible thumpers. When did this crap start?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

so i guess the administration is really going all-in on this? got an email blast from the school this morning calling themselves "uarizona". idk, maybe they've been doing it for some time and i haven't noticed until now. either way though, wtf? is it because they're conceding UofA / UA brandspace to bama and arkansas? alaska? akron? what a horrible decision, f this. and don't even get me started on the ARIZONA name mark design with the swooshy R! if i see someone wearing "uarizona" gear (with swooshy R) i will promptly asspunch them without second thought. now if you all excuse me, i'm gonna go yell at a cloud.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dirtbags wrote:so i guess the administration is really going all-in on this? got an email blast from the school this morning calling themselves "uarizona". idk, maybe they've been doing it for some time and i haven't noticed until now. either way though, wtf? is it because they're conceding UofA / UA brandspace to bama and arkansas? alaska? akron? what a horrible decision, f this. and don't even get me started on the ARIZONA name mark design with the swooshy R! if i see someone wearing "uarizona" gear (with swooshy R) i will promptly asspunch them without second thought. now if you all excuse me, i'm gonna go yell at a cloud.
"The U of A" has always been informal, and it will always be the real way people refer to ourselves in a way everyone knows what we're talking about. Formally, UA became the branding abbreviation used, and has people who use it -- really just administrators -- mark themselves as outsiders coming from somewhere else and on their way to another university as they "make their way up" the promotional ladder to more and more useless and higher paying administrative positions.

So good riddance to UA. The idiocy of the decision to use that is underscored by the reason given to do away with it from a branding perspective. The problem isn't Bama or Arkansas. The problem is United Airlines. And they can have it.

UArizona doesn't compete with United Airlines. Just plain "Arizona" will never disappear from the jerseys, so no worries about that. Feel free to ignore UArizona.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Under Armour also
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

United Artists
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I could not love this more.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Shout out to Jim Nintzel in that bit. Pretty cool.