The best fast food burger?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

The best fast food burger?

Post by Merkin »

Have one downtown where I work:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rd-of.html

I do have to say they are pretty decent since they have the caramelized onions, but I still like In-N-Out's double double protein style with grilled onions better. After having an In-N-Out in my town for 10 years or so my daughter finally convinced me to go. Not really a fan of fast food, but my eyes have been opened.
Longhorned

Re: The best fast food burger?

Post by Longhorned »

I love the Habit
GoCats13

Post by GoCats13 »

They need to open one in Tucson.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Opening two more stores in Phoenix.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog ... 2-new.html
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

There is one about 1/2 mile from where I live. At one time I'd be ecstatic, always wanted a Fatburger in Tucson. But now hamburgers are meh at best. I buy one of those Habit burgers and I could break it up into 4 meals.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

After recently having a Culver's ButterBurger it's shot to the top of my fast food burger list.

http://www.culvers.com/menu-and-nutriti ... erburgers/
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Of all the new fast food burger joints to hit Tucson (In-n-Out, Culver's, Freddie's, Five Guys, etc.), I like Smashburger the best.

Fuddruckers (not really fast food) and Carl's Jr. are my old school favorites.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

There has been a lot of new "high quality" chains haven't there. For plain fast food I'll take in n out and then whataburger. But i really like five guys too. Still haven't had smashburger
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Oh! You gotta! Menu:

http://www.letseat.at/standingroom/menu

SoCal. Redondo Beach, about 10 blocks from my place.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Not crazy about any of the fast food places in Tucson. I have no idea why In and Out or 5 Guys have any buzz. Not fast food but I did have a burger at the Hub the other day which was pretty good.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Anyone try a burger at Diablos?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Irish27 wrote:Anyone try a burger at Diablos?
Big fan, english muffin is a sneaky-good bun solution.

FAST Fast food burgers, I like Whataburger, followed by In-n-Out, Steak'n'Shake, and Freddy's, with a soft spot for Blake's (when I'm in NM). Wendy's and Carl's Jr in a pinch when I'm not in Tucson, but rarely ever. Didn't really like Culver's much except for their frozen custard. Used to like Jack-in-the-Box, but not so much anymore, and I avoid the rest.

FAST-CASUAL Fast Food burgers, I like Fuddrucker's the best, followed now by Smashburger. Love Five Guys' fries, they are my favorite, non-Ore-ida cut style fries, but their burgers are average. Fatburger is OK, nothing I'd go out of my way for, and haven't tried Habit yet.

"Other" burgers for me are a separate thread ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:After recently having a Culver's ButterBurger it's shot to the top of my fast food burger list.

I missed one today by this much.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Canadian Fatburger on the way to Calgary. I thought it was excellent. Note the gravy with the fries. Also excellent.

Like Smashburger too. Boise has tons of mom n pop burger joints and many are fantastic.

Never understood the love for In n Out. Way overrated if you ask me.
Merkin

Fast casual....

Post by Merkin »

Not a big fan of Red Robin, but it's OK and reasonable priced, and right next to the movie theatres in town.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/2014s-m ... 10711.html

Red Robin's "Monster" burger, with bottomless steak fries, and a Monster salted caramel milkshake has 3,540 calories, 69 g saturated fat, and 6,280 mg sodium. A 12-hour brisk walk would burn off the calories.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:After recently having a Culver's ButterBurger it's shot to the top of my fast food burger list.

I'm at a Holiday Inn Express in Rochelle. IL, and tonight I'll be having my first ever Culver's butter burger.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Which butterburger?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Which butterburger?
I don't know? Butterburger with cheese? The "deluxe" stuff looks like 1980s cop-out material.

For sides I'm thinking krinkly cut fries, Wisconsin cheese curds, and cole slaw. Just to have all the tastes.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Like Red Robin, though not fast, and the onion rings.

Whataburger is what I'd want most up here. Our Five Guys closed down, but it wasn't all bad news. If you need a quick mattress from the Mattress Outlet, that's there now.
Last edited by gumby on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:Which butterburger?
I don't know? Butterburger with cheese? The "deluxe" stuff looks like 1980s cop-out material.

For sides I'm thinking krinkly cut fries, Wisconsin cheese curds, and cole slaw. Just to have all the tastes.

Get the one with cheddar cheese, not the ones with plastic American 'cheese'-like product.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yep, that's the way to go. The Culver's are mutating like mad out here in central AZ. There's even one that opened up in Prescott a couple of months back.

The fried chicken basket there isn't actually half bad. Their curds are okay, but their root beer seems overkill, particularly if you're going to have one of their mixers for dessert.

Steak 'n Shake needs to come west. Like now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I like American cheese on my burger. Is it weird American cheese at Culver's? I'm actually getting scared now and might order a low quality middle of nowhere pizzeria pizza. Or Wendy's, guh. I think Steak and Shake is just for the deepest depths of drunk.
Last edited by Longhorned on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My gf is originally from semi rural Wisconsin and says that the cheese curds at Culver's are "weird" and that she never saw anyone eat them like that in Wisconsin when she was growing up.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Ok, thanks guys. Disaster averted. I'll hit up Wendy's, which is awful, but at least not gross.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I ate at Culvers once.

The taste wasn't too bad, at first. But the amount of grease/butter became overwhelming. Only ate half the burger.

On the positive side, all that grease/butter helped when it came time to expel it.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

The Tucson 5 Guys ownership group was a recent client of mine. The buzz was there in the beginning. Their numbers have dropped every month thereafter. Crazy corporate restrictions on advertising. All I have to say is if you live in Tucson and like their burgers/fries, eat em while you can. I love their fries.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

thenewazcats wrote:The Tucson 5 Guys ownership group was a recent client of mine. The buzz was there in the beginning. Their numbers have dropped every month thereafter. Crazy corporate restrictions on advertising. All I have to say is if you live in Tucson and like their burgers/fries, eat em while you can. I love their fries.
I must have gone on a bad day for them (think it was 2-3 months after open), but the one time I ate there their fries were limp and lacked flavor.

Burger was decent, but didn't feel worth the money and wait to me. Guess I shoulda went after some of the buzz had died.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:The Tucson 5 Guys ownership group was a recent client of mine. The buzz was there in the beginning. Their numbers have dropped every month thereafter. Crazy corporate restrictions on advertising. All I have to say is if you live in Tucson and like their burgers/fries, eat em while you can. I love their fries.
I must have gone on a bad day for them (think it was 2-3 months after open), but the one time I ate there their fries were limp and lacked flavor.

Burger was decent, but didn't feel worth the money and wait to me. Guess I shoulda went after some of the buzz had died.
It really is too expensive. In Westwood there is a 5 Guys about half a block away from an In-n-Out, and the former is virtually always empty while the latter is virtually always packed. 5 Guys just can't compete on price.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I picked up Culver's anyhow. I can only suspect that the franchises are inconsistent. Nothing remotely unappealing about it. Very bland and non-descript, which may be a blessing when it comes to fast food. That makes it one of the best fast food burgers I've ever had.

Here are my current rankings (chains only):

1. Fatburger
2. The Habbit
3. Meatheads
4. Whataburger
5. Blake's
6. In-n-Out
7. Gourmet Burger Kitchen
7. Five Guys
8. Culver's
9. Wendy's
10. McDonald's
11. Burger King
12. Jack-in-the-Box

If it's not on the list, then I haven't tried it. Especially Umami Burger.

Steak and Shake doesn't count because waiters are involved.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

I love their fries - best non-Ore-Ide krinkle cut fries in Tucson IMO - but like all good fries, you have a 7-8 minute window to enjoy them before they steam out and lose their crispness & fluffyness.

Never have liked their burgers - I appreciate the customizing options that basically let you replicate the style you like from other places, but it never measures up, and their basic set-up is relatively bland. Want to try a hot dog before they disappear.
PieceOfMeat wrote:I must have gone on a bad day for them (think it was 2-3 months after open), but the one time I ate there their fries were limp and lacked flavor.

One time I took dinner home from there, and the fries had steamed out in the paper bag on the way home so they were limp when I started eating them. Even eating at Five Guys, I dive into the fries first before eating the burger. Then again, I've basically stopped ordering fries anywhere unless I eat them right then and there, and the few times I don't do that, I enjoy them in the car on the way home.
Bruins01 wrote:It really is too expensive. In Westwood there is a 5 Guys about half a block away from an In-n-Out, and the former is virtually always empty while the latter is virtually always packed. 5 Guys just can't compete on price.
True. Their price points are wack, the value just isn't there if I have to spend $11-13 on a regular-sized meal I could get for $5-8 elsewhere that is better or just as good.
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Steak and Shake is the tits.

Say what you want, but I do enjoy a Wendy's double cheese every now and again.

Slightly on topic...best Chicken Sando?, I prefer the spicy chicken sando.

1) Wendy's
2) Jack in the Box
3) Bojangles
4) KFC
5) Chick-fil-a
6) Mcdonalds.

Have yet to try Zaxby's but I've heard good things.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

CalStateTempe wrote:Steak and Shake is the tits.

Say what you want, but I do enjoy a Wendy's double cheese every now and again.

Slightly on topic...best Chicken Sando?, I prefer the spicy chicken sando.

1) Wendy's
2) Jack in the Box
3) Bojangles
4) KFC
5) Chick-fil-a
6) Mcdonalds.

Have yet to try Zaxby's but I've heard good things.

My fave is the Santa Fe Chicken Sandwich at Carl's Jr
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
gumby

Post by gumby »

Thanks for saying "sandwich."

Weird about Five Guys and advertising. Now that I think about it, never seen an ad. Price kept me from being a regular. I'd skip the fries and just eat the peanuts.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Optional, Sandwitch, Samwich, Sammy; or my personal pref----Samgwitch.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

gumby wrote:Thanks for saying "sandwich."

Weird about Five Guys and advertising. Now that I think about it, never seen an ad. Price kept me from being a regular. I'd skip the fries and just eat the peanuts.
The Murrell's, owners, have traditionally resisted investing in basically any advertising, instead dropping their marketing dollars into a secret shopper program that rewards employees on good reviews, and I have to say that it's worked in terms of the in-store experience. I've never had a complaint about the service or consistency in the product. Problem for these local guys is when breaking into a new market, you can generate buzz through some free PR and that buzz that comes along with anything new, so results were good in the beginning. But word of mouth, while a powerful marketing tool, has a shelf life unless you keep giving people a reason to talk about you. Due to corporate restrictions, these guys have had their hands tied in terms of spreading that word. I mean there is literally nothing they can do. We gave them a creative community outreach comm plan, and long story short, things fell apart, but that's basically the only thing they could do. Draw people in by giving back to the community, and letting people, particularly media, know and talk about it. More recently, the Murrells have reached out to Ogilvy and Mather, but I'm unaware whether the Murrells are actually bending on using real marketing tools or if its just a heavy PR campaign. Either way, I wish them luck, because I do like those fries and don't want to drive out to California to get them.

Fatburger has grown on me recently. I went to Vegas for a conference and for some reason they held it at the Red Rock, miles away from the strip, so food options were limited, but they did have a Fatburger on site which made things palpable.

I like Culvers and Freddys more than the old, tired options that have been around Tucson forever. They're not the world's best but at least they're new and decent. I haven't tried Smashburger yet. I hear good things.
gumby

Post by gumby »

EOCT wrote:Optional, Sandwitch, Samwich, Sammy; or my personal pref----Samgwitch.
I've begun calling mine Davis Jr.

"Love the brisket Davis Junior at the new deli."
gumby

Post by gumby »

thenewazcats wrote:

The Murrell's, owners, have traditionally resisted investing in basically any advertising, instead dropping their marketing dollars into a secret shopper program that rewards employees on good reviews, and I have to say that it's worked in terms of the in-store experience. I've never had a complaint about the service or consistency in the product. Problem for these local guys is when breaking into a new market, you can generate buzz through some free PR and that buzz that comes along with anything new, so results were good in the beginning. But word of mouth, while a powerful marketing tool, has a shelf life unless you keep giving people a reason to talk about you. Due to corporate restrictions, these guys have had their hands tied in terms of spreading that word. I mean there is literally nothing they can do. We gave them a creative community outreach comm plan, and long story short, things fell apart, but that's basically the only thing they could do. Draw people in by giving back to the community, and letting people, particularly media, know and talk about it. More recently, the Murrells have reached out to Ogilvy and Mather, but I'm unaware whether the Murrells are actually bending on using real marketing tools or if its just a heavy PR campaign. Either way, I wish them luck, because I do like those fries and don't want to drive out to California to get them.

Fatburger has grown on me recently. I went to Vegas for a conference and for some reason they held it at the Red Rock, miles away from the strip, so food options were limited, but they did have a Fatburger on site which made things palpable.

I like Culvers and Freddys more than the old, tired options that have been around Tucson forever. They're not the world's best but at least they're new and decent. I haven't tried Smashburger yet. I hear good things.
Interesting. They do plaster their positive reviews all over the walls, and note that the taters come from nearby.

That's it, I guess.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

thenewazcats wrote:

I've spoken to regional managers about either doing directional advertising to their stores or pooling their resources to do branding in the market and every conversation has been a version of what you related above. Their hands are tied when it comes to marketing/advertising dollars. They don't understand why, and I certainly don't. I think everyone who wants to see the Five Guys brand grow outside of the buzz you mentioned with new store openings wants to see that change.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

gumby wrote:Interesting. They do plaster their positive reviews all over the walls, and note that the taters come from nearby.

That's it, I guess.
If the food were as stale as the signage, they would have been out of business yesterday.
Chicat wrote:I've spoken to regional managers about either doing directional advertising to their stores or pooling their resources to do branding in the market and every conversation has been a version of what you related above. Their hands are tied when it comes to marketing/advertising dollars. They don't understand why, and I certainly don't. I think everyone who wants to see the Five Guys brand grow outside of the buzz you mentioned with new store openings wants to see that change.
I know they really want to see something from Ogilvy. My gut reaction is they're going to be disappointed, and not because of the agency. I don't think the Murrells will break from what they think works. I know revamping their website and social strategy was part of the plan, but that was discussed in January and I haven't seen anything new yet.

One thing they're doing is finally offering milkshakes, or at least testing them out in certain markets -- not Tucson -- but how the hell would you know unless you thought, unprompted, about stopping by for a burger?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I actually enjoy culvers

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I like five guys every now and then. The little cheeseburger (one patty instead of two; I like bun ratio higher) isn't really little it's a standard freaking portion of dinner. Just get that for 4.99 and a little cajun fry for 2.69...decent taken home, but amazing dining in IMO.

Rey, the hot dog is pretty good, great buns haha. I usually just add it on to a burger meal when I'm really hungry tho.

Not all chains offer the exact same experiences too. We've all had sub par meals at places that we usually enjoy even. Disliking a certain place is definitely personal opinion so I understand if five guys didn't do it for anyone.

Re: the advertising: five guys really took off in, then around northern va. It was so easy for them in the surrounding states. Everyone knew what it was and wanted to go. Maybe they're too confident or simply stubborn in the Midwest and West. It's a whole different ballgame outside the mid-atlantic. Sounds like some of them aren't doing too well out West I guess.

And I just wrote way too much about five guys.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

only thing i've ever gotten at five guys is the small fries and the small bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions, lettuce and hot sauce. always liked it.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I agree, the key to Five Guys is to order the small size for everything, and the small fries should be shared. The prices end up the same as In and Out and you get the same amount of food. If you order the normal size, it's expensive because that's more food than otherwise eat.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Smashburger is my favorite, but for true fast food burger In N Out
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Just give me a good ole Whataburger....followed by a six dollar burger from Carl's Jr.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

pokinmik wrote:I like five guys every now and then. The little cheeseburger (one patty instead of two; I like bun ratio higher) isn't really little it's a standard freaking portion of dinner. Just get that for 4.99 and a little cajun fry for 2.69...decent taken home, but amazing dining in IMO.

Rey, the hot dog is pretty good, great buns haha. I usually just add it on to a burger meal when I'm really hungry tho.
Makes sense, skip the soda/tea and I can keep it under $8, which is still a bit hi-test, but OK. Will have to try a cheese dog soon as well ...
Longhorned wrote:I agree, the key to Five Guys is to order the small size for everything, and the small fries should be shared. The prices end up the same as In and Out and you get the same amount of food. If you order the normal size, it's expensive because that's more food than otherwise eat.
Still more expensive than In-n-Out out here, and about the same as a green chile double cheeseburger meal from Whataburger. I don't eat too many fast food burgers, maybe 2 on average in a month's time and when I do, I usually order a double, as otherwise, what fun is that? Also, the fries are ALL MINE DAMMIT!
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

http://www.boomersdrivein.com/menu/

Four words: Sweet. Potato. Waffle. Fries.

*drops mic*
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

For those who have lived in the south, is The Cook-Out worth a try?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just did take out from Meatheads. You guys have to try one of these.
gumby

Post by gumby »

As a kid, I recall seeing these listed with the other sandwiches on some menus. Would say "hamburger sandwich."

Then, like Jacko, it busted out and went solo.