Digital Photography

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

beames

Digital Photography

Post by beames »

So, the wife and I are expecting our first child about a month from now and I feel like now we finally have an excuse to move up a rung on the camera ladder. I've been digital for well over a decade now, having had good luck over the years with various Nikon and Lumix models, but I'm ready to move on to digital SLRs. However, I'm not ready to dive in completely and would rather start small. The hypothetical situation I've been thinking about goes like this: spend something like $1000-1200 total now on a camera body in the $500-$700 range while buying one or two excellent lenses for $500+, then in a few years go all in on a $1500+ camera that will use those lenses I already have as well as some new, more diverse models. My question to you all (since I know there's at least a few actual experts here) is the usual: Canon, Nikon, or the field? For example, I was eyeing the Canon Rebel T5i bundled with the Canon 18-55mm EF-S IS STM lens for $750, as well as the 55-250mm IS STM lens for another $350. The Rebel looks to be a nice novice camera and both of these lenses seem to be worthy of usage on a future, pricier camera. However, like I said, I've had good luck with other companies in the past so I'm not quite ready to believe all the Canon hype just yet and would like opinions on the rest, including dark horses that offer more bang for the bunk.

Detailed explanations are very welcomed here! I want to actually understand why Camera A is better than Camera B, and, yes, I know ultimately it is just one's opinions. Fact is, I want to understand photography more completely, so any technical information would be greatly appreciated. In fact, I've always figured photography was my secret calling but life's obligations have always gotten in the way and it is an intimidating field to try to enter... Oh, look, another picture of Grand Canyon from the South Rim!

Also, anybody know any good sites for all things photography?
KaibabKat

Re: Digital Photography Advice

Post by KaibabKat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If we only had a lecturer at NAU here on this site who teaches digital photography.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Get the Canon Rebel t4i or t5i kit.

It has both advanced photography modes, but also allows for HD video, which you'll want. Canon are very intuitive with their DSLRs, and as the biggest brand, more quality non-canon lens companies make knockoffs of their lenses, so more, often times less expensive options for growing your rig.

Unless you're in the "Fuck Amazon" camp, I'd look there. My guess is for $1000-1200 you can get one of the kits.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

A quick search on Amazon and there's a number of t5i kits that include multiple lenses accessories, etc. in the $850-1,000 range.

Look at what you can get in that range, then supplement it with remainder of budget with:

1. Real fast (600+), real large (32+) memory card ($50-100)
2. Very stable, portable tripod ($75+) for video/photo
3. Large (500 GB +) External Harddrive ($75+) to store files (never store on computer)
4. Extra Batteries or extended grip battery ($50-100) for days/events of longer shooting

For $1200 you'll have a great rig.

If you have questions of clarification for lenses do what, etc, just ask.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Just to contribute to this camera is better than that camera:

In most times, whether Canon, Nikon, Sony, the equivalents are all very close in quality and what you get. Canon was the first to introduce HD Video to DSLRs, as well as the first to create a line of DSLRs approachable by the masses. For this reason I tend to recommend them. Sony's are great, but not the value with too few options for budgeted expansion, and Nikon is very good, but isn't always as intuitive, and specialty lenses tend to cost much more when expanding. Canon seems to get the most out of everything, while constantly updating and adding, fixing, and expanding what you can do with Cameras.

If you gave a good photographer a camera of each he'd get the same quality shot from each. Yes, certain models have better resolution, limited light sensors, or features, but the quality is comparable.

Where Canon excels is breadth and depth of market saturation, so you can get info, get help, get additional pieces, from many more outlets and at cheaper prices.

The Xt and t series changed the game. Sony and Nikon were late to the party and Canon ate all the cake. While each has brought significant innovation and ambition to cameras since mid-2000s, only Canon has done it with the novice in mind. For that reason Canon DSLRs are the best way to go as a beginner.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Sites for photography include Flickr and Lynda.com.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

This is a perfect kit. Then take last $200 and get yourself a fast, large memory card, and a large external Harddrive. If any left over, look into the tripod.

In the future look into a dedicated flash or light rig.
Attachments
What comes in kit
What comes in kit
image.jpg (162.69 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
T5i kit via amazon
T5i kit via amazon
image.jpg (139.83 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
beames

Post by beames »

I was under the impression that the kits available on Amazon, and there are many, often were a matter of quantity over quality, so I'll have to take another look. I hadn't thought about that secondary stuff though. It seems Canon is the easy choice for the first DSLR, especially since I can't hope to take advantage of any technical differences the other brands may have at this point. Thanks for the input, JMJ!

By the way, often I've seen "classes" offered by organizations like Arizona Highways or the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum at crazy rates for a few hours in the desert with a tripod. I want to learn the process as much as anyone, but I can't imagine this approach is very rewarding. As an educator what would you recommend as an alternative to the one-time class thing? Would I be better served enrolling at a community college and taking a (cheaper) class there?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

In the kit I linked, you get Canon gear. It's a great value.

As for classes, look community college first. Only pay for those specialty trips if you're going to slot canyons like Antelope. The basically rope off parts of the canyon for those in tour to get good photos.

In my experience, the best way to cultivate an eye is to teach yourself and not be told "this is a good shot".

If you're looking into artistic photography, it's all about space usage, perspectives, and lines.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Look to make the obvious interesting through composition.
Attachments
Concrete Jungle
Concrete Jungle
image.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2500 times
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
image.jpg (728.41 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Under The Boardwalk
Under The Boardwalk
image.jpg (237.53 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Eastward The Sea
Eastward The Sea
image.jpg (611.14 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Sun Shower
Sun Shower
image.jpg (95.73 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
image.jpg (152.93 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
beames

Post by beames »

Oh, nevermind, you did the looking for me! I'll have to pull the trigger on it tonight. Thanks again for all of your help, JMJ.
beames

Post by beames »

Baby steps. I've always been told I take nice photos with my crappy cameras so I'm pretty sure I've got an eye for it, it's just a matter of taking the next step. I'm a big scenery guy, so I haven't even attempted the more artistic shots you posted there!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

No worries. That kit is real good, and Prime eligible if you have it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

beames wrote:Baby steps. I've always been told I take nice photos with my crappy cameras so I'm pretty sure I've got an eye for it, it's just a matter of taking the next step. I'm a big scenery guy, so I haven't even attempted the more artistic shots you posted there!
My advice for location is:

1. Identify the obviously photographable
2. Isolate, remove clutter through use of space
3. Add imbalance or perspective
4. Create lines or highlight them
5. Zoom in... Then zoom in more
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I have a lot of pictures that I need to back up, is flickr the best place? It just takes so long to upload. How about google+? What have any of you used that is user friendly?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat wrote:I have a lot of pictures that I need to back up, is flickr the best place? It just takes so long to upload. How about google+? What have any of you used that is user friendly?
Stay away from any cloud based stuff unless you want your stuff posted by the fappening.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

deleted
Last edited by 84Cat on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Just have to ask. JMJ, if you're still there, is that your work above?

Loved all the compositions, and "Concrete Jungle" just knocked me down! Wonderful work, man!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Yes, those are all my images.

As for backup, nothing beats an external Harddrive. But I'd recommend Flickr to anyone.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I'm looking to get my son(age 26) a good camera and I wondered if anything had changed since you posted the advice above? Are there any cameras that are lighter? My son may have difficulties with heavier cameras. TIA!

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T5i-75-300m ... s=t5i+kits
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

84Cat wrote:I'm looking to get my son(age 26) a good camera and I wondered if anything had changed since you posted the advice above? Are there any cameras that are lighter? My son may have difficulties with heavier cameras. TIA!

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T5i-75-300m ... s=t5i+kits
Almost all DSLR cameras will have heft to them. Varying lenses will only increase this. In addition to the T5i, look for a good monopod with a quick release head so he can balance the camera quickly if weight is an issue. They are great on hikes, for portraiture, etc.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Here you go... Good height, quick release head, and foot stabilizer.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (184.67 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Thanks JMJ? I'll check those out.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

84Cat wrote:Thanks JMJ? I'll check those out.
You're welcome, Ron Burgundy?
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Resident Expert...
I have an old t3i which has been with me for years. I'm no pro, definitely more of a hobby. Anyways, for the past few months i've noticed my photos coming in with way too much light, sort of like the whites are washing out everything in the picture. I think the sensor may be toast. Is this replaceable or should i just weep and start saving up for a new body? As a side question, do you think refurbished is acceptable for us poor folk?

Sincerely,
I Look Even More Pale In My Pics
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

LBdCactus wrote:Resident Expert...
I have an old t3i which has been with me for years. I'm no pro, definitely more of a hobby. Anyways, for the past few months i've noticed my photos coming in with way too much light, sort of like the whites are washing out everything in the picture. I think the sensor may be toast. Is this replaceable or should i just weep and start saving up for a new body? As a side question, do you think refurbished is acceptable for us poor folk?

Sincerely,
I Look Even More Pale In My Pics
If you know your way around settings and the visual isn't from iffy white balance or flawed exposure, then, yes, it's s sensor issue. I've not experienced this, but the adage I've heard if the repair is more than $300 or the cost of item is less than $500, then replace with more updated technology.

T3i is a good camera, but a refurbished t4i or t5i would be reasonably priced for body only. So long as the seller of refurbished is certified, that's a good way to go.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

I messed around with the white balance, and exposure... unfortunately it didn't help much. I might take it in to one of the local shops for an estimate but I'm glad to hear a refurb might work out. Thanks for the advice.
JMarkJohns

Re: Digital Photography

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'm going to be fooling around with star trails, long night exposures and light painting tonight. I'm pretty good at the latter two, or used to be (it's been years since I did artistic landscapes), but star trails is completely new. Hopefully I'll have a few shots to share here next week some time.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34090145
Mario Macilau was 14 and living on the streets of Maputo, the capital of Mozambique, when he got his hands on a camera. He taught himself to use it - and 12 years later he was holding a solo exhibition in Lisbon. Here he explains how he snapped his way out of poverty.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hey J, how's this for a setup?

A guy on a golf forum I frequent used it to take these:

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Love it. I'm looking to do something similar with my dad's telescope.

I have a friend who uses his sniper scope.

They make all sorts of adapters.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Took this earlier today. Knew as soon as I snapped it I would return to it. Love it. My niece and nephew in the photo. We always joke about my nephew starting a rock band with his sister White Stripes style. Looks like we got their album cover.

Note the shadowed "Lyric" overhead.
Attachments
Lyric
Lyric
image.jpeg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2115 times
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

BTW, it's a photo from my phone of my computer screen, hence the distortion.

Whatever. Couldn't wait to share.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Here's the finished image
Attachments
One Day, Kids...
One Day, Kids...
image.jpeg (813.86 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice work man! Looks great.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

The first song he requested to learn was "Keep Your Girlfriend Away From Me" by Local H.

Kid already is a rock star.
Attachments
Solo
Solo
image.jpeg (811.72 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Those are great, Jmark.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I was reviewing some older photos for a past client. Stumbled upon this scene. It is a double exposure, Background is High Key B/W and foreground is overexposed in Color, slightly staggered. I really like it. Enough I thought I'd share. Sure wish I had more time to play with this before my move. I took this in May and moved in June. So, I've titled it Faded Memories Of Time, a nod to True Detective Season 1, which the image kind of reminds me of.

ImageFaded Memories Of Time by John Hessinger, on Flickr
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Also found a series featuring these slender ladies...

ImageFade To Black by John Hessinger, on Flickr

ImageThreesome by John Hessinger, on Flickr
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

My friend and former colleague, Harun Mehmedinovic, main cinematographer for Skyglow Project and HBO’s Ice On Fire, is looking to complete his Portraiture as Art Trilogy series. Click the tweet from my arts/entertainment account and see some images from past books, and the link to support.
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

I haven't visited the board for awhile, but I can't believe I missed this thread. I love photography. Here's were I post my stuff for friends and family to view: https://www.tfcatfan.com" target="_blank

Only really got into it the Summer of 2017. But it's how I spend most of my free time when I can now. I have a few older galleries where I'm still edited and adding photos weekly. It takes a lot of time.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

TFCATFAN wrote:I haven't visited the board for awhile, but I can't believe I missed this thread. I love photography. Here's were I post my stuff for friends and family to view: https://www.tfcatfan.com" target="_blank

Only really got into it the Summer of 2017. But it's how I spend most of my free time when I can now. I have a few older galleries where I'm still edited and adding photos weekly. It takes a lot of time.
TC - Fantastic! Really beautiful shots. Well done.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

TFCATFAN wrote:I haven't visited the board for awhile, but I can't believe I missed this thread. I love photography. Here's were I post my stuff for friends and family to view: https://www.tfcatfan.com" target="_blank

Your low-light, soft-light shots are really intriguing/enticing, which is a great quality for photos to have. Can feel like a memory or an invitation.

You have some major travels!
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

Thanks guys! I I appreciate it. I'm still learning a lot of the basics, but I've made a good jump in the last four months, especially when it comes to getting things in focus. There a so many things that I wish I knew two years ago on some epic trips that would have made for much better images. I'm making two trips in the next three weeks to Door County, Wisconsin to shoot the Fall. Fingers crossed it goes well, the weather is hit or miss.

I plan to move from the Chicago suburbs to Las Vegas in the next 18 months, mostly because I want to get back out west and because I want to be surrounded by all the national parks for camping and photography.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Does anyone have any suggestions on learning to use my camera? I have a Canon 7D with a couple of lenses. My camera has been sitting for a few years and I would like some direction on the best way to learn to use the manual functions. I also want to learn to use Photoshop or similar photo editing software. Are there online classes anyone would recommend?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

OriginalAZ wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on learning to use my camera? I have a Canon 7D with a couple of lenses. My camera has been sitting for a few years and I would like some direction on the best way to learn to use the manual functions. I also want to learn to use Photoshop or similar photo editing software. Are there online classes anyone would recommend?
Best way to learn as a hobby is take pictures in a controlled dynamic of stationary objects, this way you can take a program’d shot, look at the settings, then determine how you want to adjust them in Manual, either with exposure of depth of field. Try all types of lightings, direct, indirect, cloudy, dusk, dark, natural, artificial, etc.

If you are willing to pay, Lynda.com was a secondary video tutorial service I used back in the day for my students. Not sure cost any more. I know there are book/dvd or software/streaming services that can help, but I never required books for my courses, so, I would google and read reviews.

As for software, it is very difficult to purchase and own the quality software. It’s all monthly licensed now. I personally love Lightroom, and they may still sell a basic software version of Lightroom.

But you can view Adobe website and see pricing. Sometimes they have sales, or if you purchases a year, discounts.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Lynda.com should get you access to Photo and Software tutorials for $25 monthly
Adobe Lightroom is $10 monthly