TOS Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

TOS Discussion

Post by Longhorned »

I'm putting this thread here because this discussion's importance merits it. And this is a separate question from our "Forum" thread, which I think is about our forum.

Can somebody please articulate why we should be invested in the free boards at TOS, rather than investing in this new site? There should be pluses and minuses for us to consider.

In my mind, the minuses of returning are pretty clear, and the only pluses I can come up with are the tradition of the old board and its archived content. Those are some pretty big pluses. But they're hard to reconcile with the heavy hand of whoever is running that site, who appears to be concealing his identity, and who appears to be lying to us, and who threatens to eliminate those boards in any case.
azgreg

Re: TOS Discussion

Post by azgreg »

The archived content is one thing, but to me the free boards were about the posters and not the admin.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have no intention of going back.
biggles

Post by biggles »

I give up... what does TOS stand for?
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

the other site
biggles

Post by biggles »

Makes sense. Saw it used on the other site, but it seemed like there could be several potential meanings there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dosia wrote:the other site
It does, but in another post LH modified it slightly to refer to "The Old Site".
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I know that people go where other people go...so...if people go...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

merkin wrote:
Dosia wrote:the other site
It does, but in another post LH modified it slightly to refer to "The Old Site".
I didn't mean to, but that fits.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

As long as the current admin runs TOS I'm staying here. You should all do the same
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

For some of us really old farts it would seem almost criminal to lose "The official Old School AZ basketball thread" at the old site. There is more Wildcat history in that one thread than any other single place on the internet.

Does anyone know of a way to migrate that thread or at least preserve it someplace else? How does the WayBack Machine work?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The WayBack Machine won't work for migrating data from the discussion boards. Thinking of something.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I tried stripdir.com on the Old School thread and it didn't work other, although it did pick up LH's avatar.

Here is something on soundforge to leech threads off VB sites: http://vbleecher.sourceforge.net/
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Question I have is...who owns the content, for UGC?

Plainly speaking can GOAZCATS come after this site for taking threads that we created?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am not sure how anyone could come up with a compelling reason to the plusses of the old board as we know it. Maybe the fact it has some great old threads and the fact it was once the pre-eminent wildcat site on the net.

Hey but all sites must start somewhere and thsi is pretty exciting, building our own history.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, starting to look like none of us can come up with a reason.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah because there are none. we can start our own history (besides we'll have a lot of the old threads on here that we can just keep contributing to again).

those that don't want to leave TOS like voltronx, hsp and kv wont' really be missed.

i just hope that some of the people that came here don't leave if storey puts the old vbulletin back on goazcats. i have a feeling some of the people that came here will get suckered in to going back. but i think if we keep updating this site and molding to how we like in the next couple weeks that we'll have a solid base and we can retain a good 2/3 of the top posters from TOS here permanently.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

lets tone down the rhetoric.

People can be free to do what they want. I liked the contributions of HSP and VoltronX.

I do share your same concerns about the StoreyLand
prh

Post by prh »

ASUHATER! wrote:yeah because there are none. we can start our own history (besides we'll have a lot of the old threads on here that we can just keep contributing to again).

those that don't want to leave TOS like voltronx, hsp and kv wont' really be missed.

i just hope that some of the people that came here don't leave if storey puts the old vbulletin back on goazcats. i have a feeling some of the people that came here will get suckered in to going back. but i think if we keep updating this site and molding to how we like in the next couple weeks that we'll have a solid base and we can retain a good 2/3 of the top posters from TOS here permanently.
That is indeed what's going to happen over there, it was posted earlier today. I'll go where all the people go. The one thing I liked about vBulletin over phpBB is the front page link takes me to where I left off, instead of the most recent post. I never knew all the other efficient ways of reading, so if someone has a suggestion for phpBB, I'd love to hear it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

it's happening there as a sign of schizophrenic desperation by the admin. anyone that truly wants the real goazcats community to thrive, work for itself and control it's destiny, then they should absolutely stay here and say good riddance to storey and his dying site.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The only other concerns I'd have here are name recognition for attracting new fans and good people splintering off. 97 Cats and Winger brought a lot of stuff and a full community transplant would make the biggest difference for me personally. If it's a full transplant, I have no attachment to goazcats domain name.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

still work to be done, but it already feels like a good 85% transplant. been more involvement and discussion here than any time in the last 2 months on the old board. we just have to keep at it and mold things how we want and potentially use the advertising ideas and community donations to get the word out there. even if this place doesn't blow up and become some 5000 user massive arizona site...who cares? is it so bad if it's just the 100-200 more dedicated people from goazcats doing things how they want and discussing arizona sports and life how they want? that would be worth it to me personally.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My thing is, if it's a less accessible site with fewer people, that inevitably draws down to zero. Less traffic makes people seek more traffic, then you have a snowball effect.

I miss some of the more knowledgeable posters BC that variety of opinions is what I liked. I don't have any pretenses about being in the know, but other people were. Having everyone contribute regardless of station was nice. I worry without that edge, you just get the declining community.
KCF

Post by KCF »

Really hoping this forum takes off. Like everyone has said i enjoy reading the posts and insight of everyone and I could care less what the domain name is.
etank34

Post by etank34 »

Just as long as that little bitch killervibe doesn't come crying over here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:My thing is, if it's a less accessible site with fewer people, that inevitably draws down to zero. Less traffic makes people seek more traffic, then you have a snowball effect.

I miss some of the more knowledgeable posters BC that variety of opinions is what I liked. I don't have any pretenses about being in the know, but other people were. Having everyone contribute regardless of station was nice. I worry without that edge, you just get the declining community.
outside of people like 97, we mostly have everyone that was contributing before at least registered here already. few stragglers i hope come in though

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If TOS really cared about people leaving there and coming here why haven't they deleted any of my many posts / threads directing people over here?
KCF

Post by KCF »

Should we invite Basnight?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Katz raising hell on TOS at JimboStorey's post about reverting to 3.8.
MacKiernan

Post by MacKiernan »

It's pretty funny people giving the Goazcats admin a hard time about who he is. Lest we forget, part of the Arizona Athletics sanctions...

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/the-sco ... b6076.html

In an email to the Weekly, UA Athletics media-relations director Tom Duddleston Jr. said, "Our compliance people evaluated papers which showed James F. Storey as the current owner of goazcats.com. The dissociation from UA Athletics extends to enterprises he operates."

Paige latter added: "If information were ever provided to us showing Mr. Storey's renewed involvement, I'm certain we would disassociate again."
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Their explanation today was extremely curious timing and the "we couldn't post so that is why we hibernated for 2 weeks" excuse is total bullshit.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We're right where we want to be.
Right where I want to be.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I liked their explanation. The old "I run a website but only know one very distinct way to communicate to the people who use that website and it was like totally broken" excuse. They have an email address for every single member. Would it have been such a task to send one? I've gotten emails from them before, that's for fucking sure.

Mystery GoAZCats Overlord has been caught in lies so many times it's really not even funny. Why is it so hard to be honest with people? Although I guess the whole "you're a bunch of freeloaders and I hate you all" approach does contain a warped sort of honesty. At least he's honest about his feelings. :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

"Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!!!!"
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I am no regular or TOS superstar poster, but I would hate to see this community go back to Storeyland. I dislike the connection with premium...as much as people were pretty cool about just talking what they knew or heard, there would often enough be the "well, if you had premium, you would know" posts or people showing what they read in premium with wink/nod cryptic posts, and it is refreshing to just have a basketball-driven board with a solid community that doesn't have that hanging over the discussion. With basketball fanatics in a small community, premium content is generally known by enough people to not really be all that special or newsworthy. And the pay incentive drives some content providers (though the Arizona premium reporters have been much better than others) to live off of the "this is the scoop, but maybe isn't, so take this cool information that we reported but if it changes we told you it could and it probably will" post.

Then you have the aforementioned history of the site owner in relation to the program. And while I didn't participate enough to be the subject of the communications, that whole "free board posters are freeloaders" s**t was low rent. If pure profit motive is your drive, U of A internet message board probably isn't the best vehicle to make a killing. Again...it is a small community of hardcores who desire "inside information", and most of us have friends/acquaintances who are as well informed/placed as the internet reporters, or at least know someone through the message boards that knows someone, etc. The "premium" information provided is often already on the street in one form or another and certainly not worth the pay, with rare exceptions. The only motive I can see for premium is as a donation of sorts. When I see the owner of the board viewing a homegrown community of fans like TOS had as customers only, I don't think they are in the right business to begin with.

As long as the participants that made the goazcats board a community are here, who needs the name? The people make the board. Besides...it would be nice to see some new threads :)
Salty

Post by Salty »

I'm torn. I really am.

Over the years, I really enjoyed the GoAzCats community.

But the reason I joined GoAzCats in the first place was because I enjoyed the layout so much. vBulletin is really great in 3.8.5 and beats whatever forum this is.

Then there's the history over there...

And I never seemed to have a problem with the admin. While not necessarily supportive of the free boards, as long as we were free to do our own thing, I was fine with how the leadership acted. Contrast Storey with ACE, and you can see how things could be a lot worse. Plus, I feel bad for guys like Tracy McDonald, who is just trying to do his job and could lose it as a result of all that has happened.

But the discussions with Chi and 97 and SD86 and UAdevil and CST and Merk and GWH and Eebs and SHB... And how every personality was unique and complimented each other oh so well... Reading the content of GoAzCats was like eating the perfect hamburger... Where the meat (97) was complimented by the pickles (CST), and the lettuce (Chi) was just so fresh, which was the perfect contrast to the crispy bun (Merk), and the lovely, perky mustard and ketchup (Bug and BeachCat), which finally was washed down by a delicious and refreshing coke (SHB), only to be chased by a few delicious fries (JMJ).

WHY CAN'T WE JUST HAVE IT ALL! I WANT TO HAVE MY BURGER AND EAT IT TOO.
4Life

Post by 4Life »

Chicat wrote:"Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!!!!"
Lol. Next up ... we are putting the Board back together.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Salty wrote:But the reason I joined GoAzCats in the first place was because I enjoyed the layout so much. vBulletin is really great in 3.8.5 and beats whatever forum this is.
vB3.8.5 was solid. But this site is good too, I haven't experienced any issues and it couldn't be easier to post and navigate. Over here we are guaranteed to have a say in the layout scheme and the additional features added. This is all in the works but will take some time as the base grows and we vote on what's what. I'm pretty positive by the end of the summer the only thing we will ever miss from goazcats is the history. But that is life, people must move forward....this will be a good experience for all involved. I already like how this is going.

I wonder if Storey saw that most people emphatically mentioned staying over here and he just punted reverting back to 3.8.5? It is a graveyard over there btw.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:But the discussions with Chi and 97 and SD86 and UAdevil and CST and Merk and GWH and Eebs and SHB... And how every personality was unique and complimented each other oh so well... Reading the content of GoAzCats was like eating the perfect hamburger... Where the meat (97) was complimented by the pickles (CST), and the lettuce (Chi) was just so fresh, which was the perfect contrast to the crispy bun (Merk), and the lovely, perky mustard and ketchup (Bug and BeachCat), which finally was washed down by a delicious and refreshing coke (SHB), only to be chased by a few delicious fries (JMJ).

Is that a weed reference?? :lol:
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Salty wrote:I'm torn. I really am.

But the reason I joined GoAzCats in the first place was because I enjoyed the layout so much. vBulletin is really great in 3.8.5 and beats whatever forum this is.

And I never seemed to have a problem with the admin. While not necessarily supportive of the free boards, as long as we were free to do our own thing, I was fine with how the leadership acted. Contrast Storey with ACE, and you can see how things could be a lot worse. Plus, I feel bad for guys like Tracy McDonald, who is just trying to do his job and could lose it as a result of all that has happened.

But the discussions with Chi and 97 and SD86 and UAdevil and CST and Merk and GWH and Eebs and SHB... And how every personality was unique and complimented each other oh so well... Reading the content of GoAzCats was like eating the perfect hamburger... Where the meat (97) was complimented by the pickles (CST), and the lettuce (Chi) was just so fresh, which was the perfect contrast to the crispy bun (Merk), and the lovely, perky mustard and ketchup (Bug and BeachCat), which finally was washed down by a delicious and refreshing coke (SHB), only to be chased by a few delicious fries (JMJ).

Salty, this forum has been around for 48 hours. If it continues to have solid migration I am sure it will look much different before the first football game this fall.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Salty wrote: But the reason I joined GoAzCats in the first place was because I enjoyed the layout so much. vBulletin is really great in 3.8.5 and beats whatever forum this is.
Salty, click on the phpBB in the little "powered by phpBB" down at the bottom of the page, and check out the mods available for php. This site is a very barebones build ATM, but there is plenty of features available.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Salty wrote:I'm torn. I really am.

I like how Salty sees me as bitter and crunchy, with an occasional acerbic aftertaste, but tolerable in small doses and a valued part of the whole!

Lot of genius in this post.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

TOS hasnt reverted back, yet. Mystery Admin Overloard said it would be done yesterday - I'm shocked!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Who termed Mystery Admin Overloard?
and
Was it intentional for the initials to be MAO?

:lol: I just got that... :lol: love it.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It dovetails perfectly with Katz's shop.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Who termed Mystery Admin Overloard?
and
Was it intentional for the initials to be MAO?

:lol: I just got that... :lol: love it.
I called him Mystery GoAZCats Overlord yesterday. I like Wyo's better.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think it might be racist.

Hey, we could be IThinkItMightBeRacist.com!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

So I went over to TOS, just to see what was shaking and did a "new post" search....11 hours was on top. The migration has had a big impact on TOS.