Phone plans

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Phone plans

Post by azgreg »

I'm in the market for a new phone plan. 4 lines and nothing fancy. I only need phone and text nothing else. My wife wants to go Tracfone but not me. Any ideas?
84Cat

Re: Phone plans

Post by 84Cat »

Ting or Republic wireless.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AT&T has the $160 4 smartphone plan. Share 10GB of data, and unlimited talk and text.

I switched to that from Verizon, and pay less with AT&T than I did with Verizon with only 2 smartphones and 2 non-smartphones.

However, with AT&T it is bring your own phone so just pick 4 off Swappa. I picked up a Note 3 for myself, Galazy S3 for my wife, and iPhone 4S for my kids.

They also gave my a 4G Samsung 10" tablet for an extra $3 a month so I have 5 smart devices.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote:AT&T has the $160 4 smartphone plan. Share 10GB of data, and unlimited talk and text.

I switched to that from Verizon, and pay less with AT&T than I did with Verizon with only 2 smartphones and 2 non-smartphones.

However, with AT&T it is bring your own phone so just pick 4 off Swappa. I picked up a Note 3 for myself, Galazy S3 for my wife, and iPhone 4S for my kids.

They also gave my a 4G Samsung 10" tablet for an extra $3 a month so I have 5 smart devices.

Yeah I joined that plan.

Just make sure the AT&T rep decides to take you out of your old plan. I suddenly had a near $400 monthly bill due to Nathan at the store not taking me out of the old plan. I still have yet to see an accurate bill from ATT
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We are with ATT now but our plan just expired so we are currently month to month. We are paying $148 including taxes and fees.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Bleh I'm trying to figure out what to do with my phone in the next 2 months. Been on a plan with my mother on Sprint for the last 4 years just to save some bucks by splitting it but she is moving to Texas soon. Not really into the idea of paying $160+ a month for two smart phones on a new plan but I absolutely hate Sprint's service. I am in the Speedway and Wilmot area right now and I have been on roaming for most of the day with no service intermittently.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Bleh I'm trying to figure out what to do with my phone in the next 2 months. Been on a plan with my mother on Sprint for the last 4 years just to save some bucks by splitting it but she is moving to Texas soon. Not really into the idea of paying $160+ a month for two smart phones on a new plan but I absolutely hate Sprint's service. I am in the Speedway and Wilmot area right now and I have been on roaming for most of the day with no service intermittently.
My business phone is with Sprint. They have the absolute worst coverage, even in the heart of a city as big as Chicago. Like, text messages rarely go through the first time and that kind of shit.

I have Verizon for my personal phone and have no complaints about the service. The bill on the other hand...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Counting the days till Dec when my plan with verizon ends and I get leave for something else like T-mobile or ATT.

I hate the fact that even though I bought my phone through verizon, I can't jailbreak it and take it to another service. Verizon has some sort of self-destruct in their iPhones that prevent transfer to another carrier.

Plus their bill $uck$ and its a huge PITA to set up their services with international travel.

fuck them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Bleh I'm trying to figure out what to do with my phone in the next 2 months. Been on a plan with my mother on Sprint for the last 4 years just to save some bucks by splitting it but she is moving to Texas soon. Not really into the idea of paying $160+ a month for two smart phones on a new plan but I absolutely hate Sprint's service. I am in the Speedway and Wilmot area right now and I have been on roaming for most of the day with no service intermittently.
My business phone is with Sprint. They have the absolute worst coverage, even in the heart of a city as big as Chicago. Like, text messages rarely go through the first time and that kind of shit.

I have Verizon for my personal phone and have no complaints about the service. The bill on the other hand...
What's the use of a business phone if the coverage is for shit? Why not just use your personal phone for business if your phone and texts are unlimited anyway?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:

What's the use of a business phone if the coverage is for shit? Why not just use your personal phone for business if your phone and texts are unlimited anyway?
I do use my personal phone to make business calls, but I can't get my business email on my personal phone and I don't trust my company enough, nor do I like Sprint's service enough, just to use my business phone for both. So I'm one of those dorks with two cell phones. A homeless guy the other day told me to give him one since I had more than enough.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My dad is on T-Mobile and I have considered getting added to his plan but T-Mobile's service is probably not any better from what I've seen than Sprint.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

scumdevils86 wrote:My dad is on T-Mobile and I have considered getting added to his plan but T-Mobile's service is probably not any better from what I've seen than Sprint.
This site will compare coverage from the different providers in your city:

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'm switching to Republic Wireless when my contract with Sprint is up in November. It's a lot cheaper and I'll get good service at several of the places I visit most (my brother's, my Mom's, my Dad's, and none of them exactly live in the middle of nowhere) because I'll be able to call over wifi.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I used to have T-Mobile, and I couldn't get service from Times Square, Shinjuku Station, or the areola of Vanessa Williams's deflated left breast.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Anybody ever hear of Freedom Pop?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Anybody ever hear of Freedom Pop?
No. But I fear it's for the demographic that stays at Country Inn and flies on Family Airlines.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

So I'm getting a new phone today probably. I think i'm going to go with Verizon because they are currently offering an unlimited text/talk plan with 2 GB data ( i use normally about 3 GB a month so I'll have to dial that back a little) for only $60/month right now. That is a much better deal than what I was expecting.

Either way...do I get the HTC One (M8), the LG G3, or the Samnsung Galaxy S5? They all have pretty equal reviews and specs and cost about the same.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

scumdevils86 wrote:So I'm getting a new phone today probably. I think i'm going to go with Verizon because they are currently offering an unlimited text/talk plan with 2 GB data ( i use normally about 3 GB a month so I'll have to dial that back a little) for only $60/month right now. That is a much better deal than what I was expecting.

Either way...do I get the HTC One (M8), the LG G3, or the Samnsung Galaxy S5? They all have pretty equal reviews and specs and cost about the same.
I'm not saying you're wrong or the deal isn't true but make sure you have all the details. With Verizon's new plan structure (as of like a year ago) what they do is charge you $40/month for each phone (for "line access" or some BS) and then you share the 1GB, 2GB, 3GB of data, etc between however many phones you have at $40/month per phone.

I'm on the 2GB data with unlimited talk and text and it's only $50/month but then I get whammed with the $40 "line access" so my bill is really $90/month. I get a good discount thru work but that's besides the point. So yea either that's an amazing deal and I'm jealous(!) or this is Verizon's way of luring people in.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah I get a 10% discount through work so I just want to make sure it is a real deal. I know of course I would have to pay the taxes and device insurance fees on top of the 60/month but it really seems like this deal they have is for 60/month with the 2 gigs of data. if it is i'm definitely doing that.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

well as long as the rep isn't lying...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was so glad to get off Verizon onto AT&T.

Saw Sprint has unlimited text/data/calling for $50 a month, plus the cost of the phone. Unfortunately Sprint is real bad where I live.

I have the Note 3, and love it, although I only use 10% of the features and never use the S-Pen.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Republic Wireless has a plan for unlimited talk/text (WiFi and cell) and unlimited data (WiFi) for $10 month. However, you have to buy the phone from them. The phone choices are the Moto X for $299 or the Moto G for $149.

https://republicwireless.com/
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

well ASUHATER just checked in person at Verizon and the rep there (still always suspicious) confirmed that the plan is indeed $60/month for unlimited talk/text and 2 gigs of data.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

well ASUHATER just checked in person at Verizon and the rep there (still always suspicious) confirmed that the plan is indeed $60/month for unlimited talk/text and 2 gigs of data.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Don't ever get a Samsung phone ever - the amount of bloatware and bad software (software skin on top of android) it has is horrendous., HTC One or G3 (probably the best) is the way to go of those 3 choices.

I have an iPhone 5 & nexus 5 but read and know quite a bit about mobile tech.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i've had the samsung s3 for the last 2 years and the phone itself is fine (except for the fact that it has died on my twice in 23 months). i never fill up the memory on my phone and the battery life is fine and it never slowed down or anything like that. it is a little annoying to have so much software that i don't use on it though.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i'm getting the htc one remix. looks good
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
devilswin99

Post by devilswin99 »

I have a One Plus One with service through T-Mobile. Best phone I have owned yet!!!!!
it's a great time to be a pothead - Chicat
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I am still grandfathered into my unlimited data plan with Verizon. I dont care if they throttle my speeds, I am sucking as much data per month as I can get from them.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I just hope I can stick to 2 gigs of data.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i used the data calculator and it said i'd probably use 2-3 gb per month. i just gotta make sure that whenever i can i use wifi.

Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Question for those with smart phones. I got the LG-G2 last year and while I like the phone, I use it basically for emails, texts, calls, calendar, pictures and some internet. I'm on Verizon which squeezes you on data but I mostly work where there is wifi. I don't play games on my phone. I've used the video a few times but not much. I don't care that much about social media. Aren't most smartphones basically bloat? I really miss my Blackberry which had a great keyboard for emailing and texting. The virtual keyboard is such a drag comparatively. The Blackberry was terrible as an internet user as its screens were too small and it was too slow etc. So basically the question is what phone does what you need it to do without all the extra bells and whistles? What is the point of most of the things they put on these phones?
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Most Android phones you can root and not have all that bloatware.

Some developer even developed one one click root for almost all Samsung phones. Worked on my Note 3.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/towelroot-give ... galaxy-s5/
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I was never a big phone person, then I bought a HTC One M8. Love this thing, don't know what I would do without it.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

cats101 wrote:I was never a big phone person, then I bought a HTC One M8. Love this thing, don't know what I would do without it.
What does it do that you need?
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Salty

Post by Salty »

My father has some kind of super deal with Verizon from the early 90s that he refuses to break. 6 lines all with unlimited data, calling, and texting for $100.

I'm not sure that we can upgrade our phones though. I have a 2 and a half year old 4S which lasts about 2 hours with normal use, the sleep button is broken, and it shuts itself off fairly often.

Supposedly Verizon is offering iPhone 6's free with a new contract.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

They didn't have data in the early 90s soo...
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:They didn't have data in the early 90s soo...
:roll:

No shit, sherlock.

But Verizon does see the value is pleasing customers who have been with them for more than 20 years. Besides, my Dad works for Apple and has had an iPhone since 2007.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So it's not from the 90s. Plan had to have changed in the last 10 years.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Its just so hard to sort through salty's lies all the time.
Salty

Post by Salty »

What possible reason would I have to lie about that. :lol:

Anyways...
gumby

Post by gumby »

I go cheap on phones. $105 for three of us ($35 each) a month. Virgin Mobile. It's 3G, but I don't care. Can do what I want to do (text, social media, email). Use my tablet for video. Phones are HTC. Love how slim they are. Network is Sprint, I think. Almost useless in rural areas. Just need to find wi-fi in those circumstances.

Was with Verizon, which has the best coverage in NW. But bill was $140 for two. And that was with dumb phones.
Right where I want to be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Loving Verizon and this LG G3 so far. Muchhhh better than Sprint. And the $73/month price tag with Verizon is absolutely great.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

gumby wrote:Was with Verizon, which has the best coverage in NW. But bill was $140 for two. And that was with dumb phones.
Sorta thinking those phones were sneaky smart.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

gumby wrote:I go cheap on phones. $105 for three of us ($35 each) a month. Virgin Mobile. It's 3G, but I don't care. Can do what I want to do (text, social media, email). Use my tablet for video. Phones are HTC. Love how slim they are. Network is Sprint, I think. Almost useless in rural areas. Just need to find wi-fi in those circumstances.

Was with Verizon, which has the best coverage in NW. But bill was $140 for two. And that was with dumb phones.
Sd86 and I just switched to Verizon. They just changed their plans. For two people it's now cheaper to have two single line plans. $60 a month each for smart phones with 2gb of data. Plus taxes and insurance if you get it. Sd86 has a work discount but we'll pay maybe $150 a month for the two phones but that's including taxes and the high end $10 a month insurance. If taxes are less where you are and you don't get insurance you could potentially pay only like $125-130 a month

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

unless you turn it off. i've always had location reporting off so my map there is empty.

CatzManiac

Post by CatzManiac »

Daryl Zero wrote:Question for those with smart phones. I got the LG-G2 last year and while I like the phone, I use it basically for emails, texts, calls, calendar, pictures and some internet. I'm on Verizon which squeezes you on data but I mostly work where there is wifi. I don't play games on my phone. I've used the video a few times but not much. I don't care that much about social media. Aren't most smartphones basically bloat? I really miss my Blackberry which had a great keyboard for emailing and texting. The virtual keyboard is such a drag comparatively. The Blackberry was terrible as an internet user as its screens were too small and it was too slow etc. So basically the question is what phone does what you need it to do without all the extra bells and whistles? What is the point of most of the things they put on these phones?
I have a Nexus 5. Doesn't come with any bloatware. Always the first to get updates from google.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just signed my mom up for Sprint's $50 unlimited plan for Iphone6....ok wait, not yet. You can only get it by calling when you get the phone...still a good deal though, considering she already had sprint and was paying $90/month for her Iphone4s

http://www.sprint.com/landings/iphone/i ... ity:iphone
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

LG G3 us a great phone but....it doesn't work with auxiliary cables in my car or what not. I had to download a special app and go through a specific routine to make it work. Hm