Marijuana

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: Marijuana

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Some bourbon-infusion therapy and he'll be right as rain.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Forgot my gummies on my trip to Tucson so went to a dispensary there. Just our luck, they had a special going where for new customers if you buy something, you get a 2nd one for free. You could do that 3 times, so my wife and I each made our own purchases and went there 3 days in a row. That ended 12/31/22 though.

I ask the budtender for some 20mg gummies. He said that only medical can get those. Out here in Cali, the medical and recreational menus are the same, just that the medical doesn't pay the taxes on it.

So I can't buy 20mg gummies, so I just buy the 10mg and take 2. Not sure what the deal is. I can buy 100mg gummies here.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Yeah Arizona is weird with recreational. I get my medical card so I have access to the full menu.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Quite a hilarious NY Post article on how high Manhattan’s morning commuters are getting since New York ushered in legal weed last month:

“The ubiquitous reek of pot smoke is making NYC’s streets stink to high heaven. And with NYC’s first legal dispensary for recreational marijuana open since late last month — and more to follow — the haze is no longer limited to neighborhoods popular with nightcrawlers. Now it’s pervasive on Midtown sidewalks during the morning commute — and irking 9-to-5’ers.”

“A police officer stationed near Grand Central Terminal also observed a noticeable a.m. uptick in high risers, telling The Post anonymously: “It’s [coming from] people going to work, maybe on their way to deal with a horrible boss — smoke a little bit, and do the job,” he told The Post.”

“So, who are the folks lighting up on their way into the office…"A joint is therapeutic,” Samir, 32, an assistant at a Midtown real estate law firm near Bryant Park, told The Post before promptly putting out the joint he was smoking Tuesday morning.”

“Similarly, Skye Lorenzo, 21, who handles packages for UPS in Midtown West, said she was more productive when she smokes before starting the labor-intensive early-morning shift…She said she lights up as early as 3 a.m. before her shift starts, and again at 9 a.m. when she takes a break. She never smokes while at work, however.”

“Adam Giladi — who pregames his mornings writing creative copy at a marketing startup with a hot cup of coffee and a hit of his weed pen — said that nobody in his office seems concerned with policing pot on the job.”
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Teen cannabis abuse has increased 245% over 20 years, study finds

"Research led by Oregon Health & Science University reveals adolescent cannabis abuse in the United States has increased drastically — by about 245% — since 2000, as alcohol abuse among teens has steadily declined."

"The findings, published today in Clinical Toxicology, found more than 338,000 instances of intentional abuse or misuse among American children aged 6 to 18. Misuse and abuse of substances — cannabis, alcohol and others — among youth remains a serious public health challenge in the United States. The study aimed to learn more about the patterns of this behavior among school-aged children and adolescents."
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

This will lead to it being weaponized by the shiteaters as a wokeway drug.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not saying it's a good thing kids smoking weed, but reducing alcohol consumption had to be.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I wish I hadn't smoked so much in high school and college.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:49 am I wish I hadn't smoked so much in high school and college.
I didn’t start until my junior year, and only contined for 20 years…

… I don’t regret a thing about that!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:49 am I wish I hadn't smoked so much in high school and college.
Nothing relaxed me more in college than some weed. My 4 years in the Air Force and 4 more in college I was a daily smoker.

I stopped for a few decades while raising kids but like many boomers got back into it. No more flower though, just mostly gummies and some vape cartridges.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

So, when a past pothead is a parent, there is the inevitable question of how to respond to a child who asks about smoking pot.

How would/have you chosen to respond?? At what age do you have a "real" discussion??

One of my friends had a pretty good response - when it came to an actual discussion, he chose: "When you're smoking pot, you're wasting your time. That's not necessarily bad, since we all can. should and will occasionally waste some of our time. Just don't ever think that you're being productive when you do."
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:05 am
Nothing relaxed me more in college than some weed. My 4 years in the Air Force and 4 more in college I was a daily smoker.

I stopped for a few decades while raising kids but like many boomers got back into it. No more flower though, just mostly gummies and some vape cartridges.
I think weed intoxicates me more than it does most people. And intoxication as a general state during a period of life when you need to make important decisions and form important base behaviors that themselves establish future capabilities leads to diminished optionality. At least it did for me. Probably would have been better to develop a disciplined mind, and get the broad benefits of it, before enjoying weed.

Mastering a more conventional life structure would have given me the later mid-life opportunity to sit around and do heroin all day. I missed out on that, damn.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 am

I think weed intoxicates me more than it does most people. And intoxication as a general state during a period of life when you need to make important decisions and form important base behaviors that themselves establish future capabilities leads to diminished optionality. At least it did for me. Probably would have been better to develop a disciplined mind, and get the broad benefits of it, before enjoying weed.

Mastering a more conventional life structure would have given me the later mid-life opportunity to sit around and do heroin all day. I missed out on that, damn.
I smoked pot "regularly" during two years of graduate school (Philosophy and political science)... However, I was not at all in "intoxication as a general state"! I was almost never stoned while on campus in those days.

During that period, I probably read for 4-6 hours daily, attended/taught classes 2-4 hours daily, and then smoked pot in the night.

I agree that being stoned all the time ("intoxication as a general state") would be debilitating, and detract from personal, professional and other development...

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:37 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 am

I smoked pot "regularly" during two years of graduate school (Philosophy and political science)... However, I was not at all in "intoxication as a general state"! I was almost never stoned while on campus in those days.

During that period, I probably read for 4-6 hours daily, attended/taught classes 2-4 hours daily, and then smoked pot in the night.

I agree that being stoned all the time ("intoxication as a general state") would be debilitating, and detract from personal, professional and other development...
If you don't wake and bake you're not a player! Take a lap, rookie!

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Your insights in the Economy thread offer clarity on a number of matters I'm otherwise unsure of, so I don't think your brain suffered. At least not like this - from the Scientific American:

Heavy Cannabis Use Linked to Schizophrenia, Especially among Young Men; A huge Danish study shows that up to 30 percent of psychosis diagnoses in young men could have been prevented if these individuals hadn’t used marijuana heavily

"The research, likely the largest epidemiological investigation conducted to date that directly focused on the cannabis-psychosis question, delved into Danish health histories from 1972 to 2021. The study examined health records of 6.9 million people and found that up to 30 percent of schizophrenia diagnoses—about 3,000 in total—could have been prevented if men from 21 to 30 years old had not developed cannabis use disorder."

"The Danish epidemiology study does not offer hard-and-fast proof of the cannabis-schizophrenia connection, which could be accomplished only through randomized controlled trials. But this link is supported by the fact that marijuana use and potency have risen markedly—from 13 percent THC content in Denmark in 2006 to 30 percent in 2016—alongside a rising rate in schizophrenia diagnoses. “While this isn’t proving causality, it’s showing that the numbers behave exactly the way they should, under the assumption of causality, says Carsten Hjorthøj, the study’s lead author..."

"The researchers’ plunge into a nation’s health statistics probed gender and age risks. “We found that the proportion of cases of schizophrenia that were attributable to cannabis use disorder, and those that might have been prevented, was much higher in males than females and, in particular, younger males in whom the brain is still maturing,” Hjorthøj says."
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm gonna have to think about that, that, uh, um ..... what's that again, man?

~ Wilhoit's Law
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I don’t think that’s true, and neither does the voice in my head that tells me to burn stuff or a 10,000,000 year old cosmic space dog god will destroy the world.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I think weed has body-specific cognitive consequence. When I got high I couldn't read text and retain it. I was in total immediacy. There was essentially no serial memory retention. But my buddy could burn big fatties and do quadratic equations. If I was high right now I doubt I could post a coherent sentence without reading it 10 times. And even then .....

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sorry to read what happened to our former posters.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Wait.

6000 teens die from Marijuana EVERY DAY?

Holy cow!

Why are we talking about a few kids getting shot?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It’s modern Reefer Madness.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:43 pm Sorry to read what happened to our former posters.
I love how they couldn't even get the weight right either. At least learn how to bullshit if you are going to bullshit.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Marijuana and Hallucinogen use, Binge Drinking reached Historic highs among Adults 35 to 50

Aug 17 2023: A National Institutes of Health-funded study also shows younger adults reported marijuana, vaping, and hallucinogen use at or near historically high levels

"Past-year use of marijuana and hallucinogens by adults 35 to 50 years old continued a long-term upward trajectory to reach all-time highs in 2022...Among younger adults aged 19 to 30, reports of past-year marijuana and hallucinogen use as well as marijuana and nicotine vaping significantly increased in the past five years, with marijuana use and vaping at their highest historic levels for this age group in 2022."

"While binge drinking has generally declined for the past 10 years among younger adults, adults aged 35 to 50 in 2022 reported the highest prevalence of binge drinking ever recorded for this age group, which also represents a significant past-year, five-year, and 10-year increase."

Other Findings:

Marijuana Use: "For adults aged 19 to 30, the percentages of those reporting past-year marijuana use and daily marijuana use reached their highest levels ever reported by the study. Past-year use was reported by approximately 44% of those surveyed in 2022...Reports of past-year marijuana use among adults aged 35 to 50 also reached an all-time high in 2022 (28%)"

Marijuana Vaping: "Past-year marijuana vaping was reported by 21% of adults 19 to 30 years old in 2022, the highest levels reported..."

Hallucinogen Use: "Among adults aged 19 to 30, 8% reported past-year use of hallucinogens, significantly higher than five years ago (5% in 2017) and 10 years ago (3% in 2012)...Past-year hallucinogen use reached historically high prevalence among adults 35 to 50 years old, reported by 4% in 2022."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't even remember last time I smoked flower. Just gummies and my stizzy.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just had my yearly physical last week, heart is all good!

Sure hope Snoop is OK. Maybe he is just switching to vape and gummies like I did. Can't even remember last time I smoked some flower.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Carnival gives woman lifetime cruise ban for packing CBD gummies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/c ... r-AA1jZBGj
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If she bought them at a drugstore in Texas, they are not marijuana gummies with THC, but hemp gummies.

They are like the fake ones Cheech and Chong sell online.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You’d have to pay me 100,000 weed gummies to go on a Carnival cruise.

Maybe 200,000
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Give me a lifetime supply and I'd do it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Saw people losing their minds this weekend at the idea Snoop was done smoking. I just figured he was switching to vapes.

That’s just great advertising.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:25 am I just figured he was switching to vapes.

Same here.
Merkin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:30 am Maybe he is just switching to vape and gummies like I did. Can't even remember last time I smoked some flower.

Comes a certain point for when you realize that putting on that smoke in your lungs can't be good for you. Weed has similar toxins that tobacco smoke has.

Along with no longer having that awful skunk smell.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s the smell for me. Living with an 11- and 14-year-old in a state where it is still very very illegal in all its forms presents some challenges to be sure.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:09 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:25 am I just figured he was switching to vapes.

Same here.
Merkin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:30 am Maybe he is just switching to vape and gummies like I did. Can't even remember last time I smoked some flower.

Comes a certain point for when you realize that putting on that smoke in your lungs can't be good for you. Weed has similar toxins that tobacco smoke has.

Along with no longer having that awful skunk smell.
As a former weed and tobacco smoker I kinda miss the upper sinus tweak of 1970s spicy Columbian gold, and the Italianate basil hit of Satanic southern Oregon Christmas tree bud. Thing is ... I have never in my life ingested anything but illegal herb ... and I kinda lean into that in my nostalgia. Y'all with your gummies and vape during City Council meetings, and pharma-lab gizmo delivery nothing-so-Medieval-as-match-to-pipe-nonsense take all the romance out of it. sigh

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We haven’t even talked about dabs and tinctures. Or the fact that in 3-5 years you’ll see weed drinks next to Corona tall boys in the coolers at convenience stores.

It’s a brave new world my man.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Some of us still have jobs where we aren't able to partake (haven't since college). Will have to wait for retirement in 3 years or so.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I prefer vaping and edibles myself. Smell and lungs are the main reason I switched about 5 years ago. I have a Dr. Dabber switch, best investment I ever made. I do like the different effects of smoking though. I'll partake of a nice blunt or preroll with friends from time to time but not on the regular. They just hit different imo.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:44 pm As a former weed and tobacco smoker I kinda miss the upper sinus tweak of 1970s spicy Columbian gold
The Cuervo Gold, the fine Colombian, make tonight a wonderful thing

Mentioned it earlier, but weed is so much cheaper now than then.

I used to pay $40 an oz for Columbian, $25 for Mexican (Michoacán?) , or $100 for Hawaiian (Maui Wowie?). And that was in 1978 dollars.

Now I pay $8 for 10 10mg gummies, and last order they were 20% off, so $6 something a package.

They also had 1/2 gm Stiizy disposable vapes on sale for $13. I normally buy the Stizzy cartridges but they were actually more expensive.

Free delivery too from a neighboring city. The town I live in does not have any dispensaries due to the attitude that dive bars and run down liquor stores are better for the community than brand new dispensaries that have dual door security systems. A kid can walk into a dive bar, but it's near impossible in a dispensary. All they will see is the receptionist and security guard.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:32 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:44 pm As a former weed and tobacco smoker I kinda miss the upper sinus tweak of 1970s spicy Columbian gold
The Cuervo Gold, the fine Colombian, make tonight a wonderful thing

Mentioned it earlier, but weed is so much cheaper now than then.

I used to pay $40 an oz for Columbian, $25 for Mexican (Michoacán?) , or $100 for Hawaiian (Maui Wowie?). And that was in 1978 dollars.

Now I pay $8 for 10 10mg gummies, and last order they were 20% off, so $6 something a package.

They also had 1/2 gm Stiizy disposable vapes on sale for $13. I normally buy the Stizzy cartridges but they were actually more expensive.

Free delivery too from a neighboring city. The town I live in does not have any dispensaries due to the attitude that dive bars and run down liquor stores are better for the community than brand new dispensaries that have dual door security systems. A kid can walk into a dive bar, but it's near impossible in a dispensary. All they will see is the receptionist and security guard.
Economics in a vacuum. It's robbed weed of its romance. The thrill of danger as you pass a cop car so stoned you can't conjure your own name. The utter ridiculousness of youth doubled clutched in a lungful of minimum wage and a 15 dollar bag of fuck it.

Oh well those days are gone forever, I should just let 'em go but ....

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:04 pm The thrill of danger as you pass a cop car so stoned you can't conjure your own name.
Even to this day, my heart still jumps when a cop pulls up next to me, although I no longer drink and drive, and never even eat a gummy until I am home for the night. I spent decades being DUI and no doubt spent up all my good graces so won't risk it now.

Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:01 pm We haven’t even talked about dabs and tinctures.
One time my youngest son brought his boyfriend up for a visit. He was about 5'5" and very slight. I am 6'5" and go 220. This kid could really put down the dabs. I had one hit, and was on the couch for the night. I don't like being that stoned.

Reminds me when edibles first came out for medicinal use and were not regulated.

This cookie isn't doing shit. Better take another bite. Then next thing you know I am hallucinating.

I grew 3 plants a few years ago. Probably ended up with 6 ounces, maybe more. But ended up throwing all the flower out. Was going to make butter with it, but too much trouble.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Glad to let the good ol’ days go into the dustbin of history if I never again have to take my life in my hands dealing with some shady tweaker who insists I give him the money and THEN he’ll show me the weed.

These younger generations will never know the flopsweat-inducing fear of knocking on a door that’s been recently kicked in to talk to some insane heroin addict who insists you come inside and stay awhile in his dirty hoarder apartment to hang out instead of just giving you the weed you paid for and letting you go on your way before you get caught in the middle of a drive-by shooting or random person OD’ing. And thank god for that. I’d pay 3x for weed not to have to go back to the bad old days.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:21 pm Some of us still have jobs where we aren't able to partake (haven't since college). Will have to wait for retirement in 3 years or so.
Same

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Embedding doesn't seem to be working, similar to youtube.

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDalton/stat ... 4855444693