Kids

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Kids

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea there is always a small chance of ones you don't know of...but as far as I know the timeline only works perfectly for the one seen above!

I'm definitely enjoying the newness of it all but am under no illusion of everything being hunky dory for the next 20 or so years!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My mom and my dad’s brother are both big into Ancestry.com and have done 23&Me both for themselves and bought it for close family members.

I mention this because I feel like that pretty much confirms that the one night stand in New Orleans I had 20 years ago didn’t result in a baby. But I’m still just a tiny bit nervous every time the doorbell rings.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I really thought I had messed up about 10 years ago. I started "seeing" a coworker who just happened to be cheating on her fiance to spend time with me. She moved to Phoenix, we broke it off, it was ugly. About 10 months later I was working in Phoenix and we "reconnected" for one evening. About 10.5 months later I heard she had a kid. A first I did the math wrong and thought it was more like 9.5 months... We haven't talked since!

I learned the hard way to never shit where you eat with that whole mess. Work relationships are never good.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You went from cad to dad! :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:00 pm My mom and my dad’s brother are both big into Ancestry.com and have done 23&Me both for themselves and bought it for close family members.

I mention this because I feel like that pretty much confirms that the one night stand in New Orleans I had 20 years ago didn’t result in a baby. But I’m still just a tiny bit nervous every time the doorbell rings.
And I don't see anybody registered under Cajuncat...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:00 pm My mom and my dad’s brother are both big into Ancestry.com and have done 23&Me both for themselves and bought it for close family members.

One nice thing, if they are 20, then no child support, or very little. Even in CA you can only go back 3 years for retroactive child support.

But since they never looked for you, they probably didn't want any, or to get the father involved.

When this person contacted me through ancestry DNA (actually my niece first) she was already way over 50 years old.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So I grew up in a very church going family, with very church going grandparents that raised their children going to church. Very few of my cousins or cousins kids have stayed very far. We are a very close family, my father grew up in a quaker church in southern Michigan. My mother went to a presbyterian church growing up in western Michigan.

This last year we found out through ancestry that my dad's father is likely not the son of his mother's husband, but a family friend who was a doctor in a neighboring town.

Talk about a scandal!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I just got the biggest smiles and almost a giggle from my daughter. Best moment of my life. She's already 5.5 weeks old!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Congratulations. You've reached the high point of your relationship. It's all down hill from here.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:39 am Congratulations. You've reached the high point of your relationship. It's all down hill from here.
Not true. My grandson is 18 months and is a giggling fool. We can just look at each other and he starts laughing. Of course I don't have to deal with all the bs and I don't do dirty diapers either. Being a grandparent is all it's cracked up to be
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Last year, this annoying hippy guy I know replaced me as my kid's object of affection. She spent months begging my wife to divorce me and marry him instead, and cursing fate for making me her dad instead of him. He's the father of a school friend of hers. He's against any kind of house rules, so his house is basically destroyed and filthy.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I genuinely don't care about the diapers currently. Hasn't bothered me at all. And we're cloth diapering and doing all the laundry for it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:27 am Last year, this annoying hippy guy I know replaced me as my kid's object of affection. She spent months begging my wife to divorce me and marry him instead, and cursing fate for making me her dad instead of him. He's the father of a school friend of hers. He's against any kind of house rules, so his house is basically destroyed and filthy.
Maybe a piano will fall on him. Then you can look your kid in the face and say “Maybe he shouldn’t have been such a cockmunch.”
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm sure our 2nd kid will be a nightmare to even this out but man, this first 6 weeks has been "easy" compared to what everyone has told me. I slept 9 hours last night (as I have almost every night with a newborn), the house is always clean, I still dabble in cooking projects, laundry is always put away etc. My wife slept from 830p-130a and again from about 330a-600a. I do feel bad though because our best couple friends have a 6 month old who still won't sleep more than about 1 to 2 hours at night. They're husks of human beings at this point. I'm so damn grateful so far!

I'm sad I'll miss so much of my daughter's day to day life soon. I go back to work in 2 weeks and feel like I'll be so absent (even though I'll be working in my office outside 20 feet away).
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm glad you are enjoying this stage so much. The older my kids get, the more I miss those days...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Apparently my kid still believes in Jedd. Bear down!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

She no longer believes in Jedd.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Too damn cute to be yours.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:59 pm Too damn cute to be yours.
Ain't that a fact with me being ugly as sin!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w4BtnfwmXyfdtmXBA

1 year old today

Shoot doesn't like photos from my phone.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What would you do if you signed your kid up for some kind of sports league, and then you noticed how the team's coach had that whole toxic masculinity thing going on that Jon Gruden embodies?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:54 am What would you do if you signed your kid up for some kind of sports league, and then you noticed how the team's coach had that whole toxic masculinity thing going on that Jon Gruden embodies?
Happened to me playing might mite football in Tucson when I was in the 5th grade. It's the only team I ever quit. The coach was just an ass. I think he played for the UA. My parents didn't even object which was unusual. I wasn't the only one who quit either. Teach your kids to have fun when they are young. Life comes at them fast enough
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:54 am What would you do if you signed your kid up for some kind of sports league, and then you noticed how the team's coach had that whole toxic masculinity thing going on that Jon Gruden embodies?
Every time we signed one of kids up for a sports league we played a little internal family game between me, my wife and our kid... I called it "Who fucking hates this league the most?"

The kid usually won... but the games were always close...

Good times
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

My son coached my grandson's football through Middle School, and granddaughter's basketball & softball through grade school - mostly had to deal with the toxic masculinity of parents in all three!! It was crazy, the focus on playing time, winning and hating on refs!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

This little buddy is more than 4 months old now. She had her first cold all last week and it was terrible seeing her sick. Also, I think people were lying when they said the first 6 weeks is the hardest. That was a cake walk! Of course my wife and I were both home for 8 weeks and didn't have to work so that helped. This darn kid is more of a handful every day (she already won't shut up so it's just extra confirmation she's her parents' kid).

The 9 plus weeks I've been back at work has been super hard. My wife and I haven't had more than 5 minutes alone together since labor day. Her traveling pediatric nurse friend is hopefully going to be staying with us next week so maybe we'll get a couple hours to ourselves for the first time in 3 plus months!

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It gets easier.

Eventually she might even wipe her own ass.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

OTOH, wait until she learns to say "NO!!"... :o

And, then 12 years later when you'll really fear her saying "Yes"!! :lol:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

As soon as it starts to feel easy a new stage will begin that will seem like hell.

Enjoy it!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I still think she's too beautiful to be yours. Until your brother confirms it I'm just going to believe you find pics online and post them.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Same car seat 7 months apart. I can't even begin to describe what the last 7 and a half months have been like. The love I have for this kid is unreal. She's my best friend already and I'm so proud of her every day. She's so good too! Also, I'm proud of my wife for exclusively breastfeeding and getting this kid to the 95th+ percentile in all measurements (she's the size of an average 14 month old). She eats solid foods like a champ too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

She looks like she wants to punch me and take my lunch money.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That's the general idea. You should see this beast eat. She's borderline scary. Maybe she'll be the starting power forward for AZ women's basketball in 2040.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

She is a delight as a niece for sure. And yeah she's on track to be a 6' basketball player the way I've seen her eat.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

She is adorable in yellow!

She reminds me of the baby "Inventing Anna" which I saw that birthing episode tonight. Which also reminded how newborn infants on TV always look like your 7th month old.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It’s amazing how fast they grow change… looks like you are loving being a dad… it’s pretty great…. Until they become teenagers
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:46 am It’s amazing how fast they grow change… looks like you are loving being a dad… it’s pretty great…. Until they become teenagers
Got that straight...that's where the real fun begins.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

This kid is a beast. She's on the verge of moving into 18 month clothes. She's not even 8 months old yet.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

If she starts bowling at 2 you're in big trouble.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:46 am It’s amazing how fast they grow change… looks like you are loving being a dad… it’s pretty great…. Until they become teenagers
At the sports bar last night, catching the Suns game with two fans who have adult children. The one was lamenting and blaming his "enabling" for the situation he's in with his kids doing nothing week after week, loafing around the house. Was expecting ages of 18 or 22 but it turns out they are more my age - 27 and 33. :shock: Doesn't know what to do.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:14 am
At the sports bar last night, catching the Suns game with two fans who have adult children. The one was lamenting and blaming his "enabling" for the situation he's in with his kids doing nothing week after week, loafing around the house. Was expecting ages of 18 or 22 but it turns out they are more my age - 27 and 33. :shock: Doesn't know what to do.
Tough love and cutting them off was needed five years ago. At this point though I wouldn’t know what to do. After 30 years they’ll remain dependent children (mentally) forever.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At this point it's likely more shitty boomer parenting than anything
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm
After 30 years they’ll remain dependent children (mentally) forever.
Where did you get that formulation? It does seem true. An older friend of mine living at home after law school still had promise at 30. Really soon after that, he was just living at home. Eventually his dad died. Then when he was in his 50's his mom died, and he finally had to leave the house because it got sold. Big inheritance. With dread, he looked into getting his first apartment and starting his life, and suddenly died. What an existence.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Our baby has one more month in high school. She’s going out of town for uni.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:21 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm
After 30 years they’ll remain dependent children (mentally) forever.
Where did you get that formulation? It does seem true. An older friend of mine living at home after law school still had promise at 30. Really soon after that, he was just living at home. Eventually his dad died. Then when he was in his 50's his mom died, and he finally had to leave the house because it got sold. Big inheritance. With dread, he looked into getting his first apartment and starting his life, and suddenly died. What an existence.
I’ve seen the theory that the brain isn’t fully formed until a person is 28-32, and that’s always rung true for me. For those with parental support in their twenties, there seems to be a line where most say “Ok, I’m an adult and I shouldn’t be depending on my parents like I’m a child. It’s time to get my own car insurance.” But for some people, if no one forced them to come to that moment, they just won’t.

Ancillarelly (if that’s a word - if not… dibs!), a friend of my wife’s from UA, a very capable person who loved the party too much, has been living with her parents since graduation, tending bar at Red Lobster in a small town in Ohio. She, much like your friend, will probably experience a very rude awakening when her parents pass on.

I think I could have gone the same way, but my dad died when I was 24, and I was married at 26. I didn’t really have the opportunity to just do not a whole hell of a lot.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I didn't start acting like a fully formed adult until I met my future wife when I was just shy of 28. Didn't get my work life together until I was 32. So that makes sense.

Though I haven't had to rely on my parents financially since I was 18.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jesus, if the brain isn't fully formed until 32, I'm starting to worry about all the formation I stunted with all that pot. I thought I was out of the woods with my teenage years behind me. There's probably a lot of wires that fried before they ever connected.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 pm Jesus, if the brain isn't fully formed until 32, I'm starting to worry about all the formation I stunted with all that pot. I thought I was out of the woods with my teenage years behind me. There's probably a lot of wires that fried before they ever connected.
It's different for different people, but I know for a fact that weed intoxicated me more than it did to most people, and it has to have delayed the onset of adulting in my brain.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My daughter, 6 years old as of yesterday, was still in bed just now at 7:05 am.

"What do want for breakfast, buggle?" I asked her.

"Stop calling me stupid fucking names," she said.

I don't know whether to be more alarmed at the word itself, or at the completely correct usage.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh man Professor… you in trouble.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:13 am My daughter, 6 years old as of yesterday, was still in bed just now at 7:05 am.

"What do want for breakfast, buggle?" I asked her.

"Stop calling me stupid fucking names," she said.

I don't know whether to be more alarmed at the word itself, or at the completely correct usage.
Just saw this. I'm afraid this will be my daughter too lol