Vermont

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Vermont

Post by Catintheheat »

Anyone know anything about Vermont?

I am going to be moving to Vermont this summer at the earliest (that's when I graduate and get my credentials in healthcare). I want to leave Arizona as soon as possible.

Why am I moving to Vermont? Because I am a free spirit and Vermont is calling and enticing me to come based on all of all the outdoor activity. It has lakes, rivers, mountains, and forests. Well...and snow. I am getting to an age I want to spend as much time having fun as possible. And spend as much time outdoors before it is too late. I am already working on getting into great shape and plan to hold a job where I can work remotely from anywhere in the country, as long as there is reliable broadband.

I plan to go fishing, hiking, exploring the history of the New England area. I am going to ski for the first time, including cross-country skiing, ice-skate, and snowshoe. There are ski resorts everywhere. And shake hands with Bernie Sanders or Patrick Leahy. To me this is the last great adventure and my mind is just aching to try something new. I am also going to start following the Rex Sox since Boston is a 2-3 hour drive. Still a Cubs fan first. Montreal is going to be somewhere around 75 miles away so might start following the Canadians. And I am going to start learning French this summer.
Chicat

Re: Vermont

Post by Chicat »

I spent time in New Hampshire and Maine as a kid (summer camp and skiing in winter). Haven't spent too much time in Vermont beyond a few trips but it's all basically the same.

Anything in particular you would like to know?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I hear they have great mittens.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good one Greg!

Brrrr! You ever been in the snow/cold for an extended period? Quite the exact opposite of PHX weather. Instead of spending all summer indoors you will be spending all winter indoors.

But you are quite a bit younger than I am, so a good time to do it. My folks lived in Poughkeepsie NY for a while, near the Hudson river, which I would think is quite similar to Vermont. Absolutely beautiful in fall, and definitely a 4 season climate.

Check the yearly weather for Burlington

https://www.city-data.com/city/Burlington-Vermont.html

One of the worst things for me would not be seeing the sun for most of the winter. I grew up in MI and didn't realize the sun could be out and snow on the ground at the same time until I lived in CO. The movie Fargo is a good example of what the skies look like during winter.

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:34 am Good one Greg!

Brrrr! You ever been in the snow/cold for an extended period? Quite the exact opposite of PHX weather. Instead of spending all summer indoors you will be spending all winter indoors.

But you are quite a bit younger than I am, so a good time to do it. My folks lived in Poughkeepsie NY for a while, near the Hudson river, which I would think is quite similar to Vermont. Absolutely beautiful in fall, and definitely a 4 season climate.

Check the yearly weather for Burlington

https://www.city-data.com/city/Burlington-Vermont.html

One of the worst things for me would not be seeing the sun for most of the winter. I grew up in MI and didn't realize the sun could be out and snow on the ground at the same time until I lived in CO. The movie Fargo is a good example of what the skies look like during winter.

I am not much younger than you. Actually we are close to the same age. And Vermont is having a killer winter storm right now. They average 8 feet of snow a year. I grew up in Northern Indiana so understand cold. Vermont isn't as cold as northern Indiana. Although it is colder around Burlington because of Lake Champlain. although they definitely have much more snow. First thing I must find is a Subaru Forester. About half the people drive one in Vermont. I need snow tires and chains. A must. I plan to spend time in New Hampshire and Maine too. I've never spent time on the ocean and this will be an opportunity.

Vermont only has 625k residents and Burlington is the largest town at 42k, although the metro area is closer to 100k. I miss freshwater fishing a lot. Went to a high school called Lakeland. New Hampshire or Maine are fine if it is the right place. I don't have much of a desire to live in Massachusetts. I grew up on an 80 acre farm and in small towns.

Of course when I'm there I will regret everything, but I have to do it. :lol:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Vermont is very diverse. Not only are there old white people there, but also many young white people!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So happy for you CITH that sounds awesome!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Near me. Good skiing and maple syrup.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So CITH, what do you want to know?

As Ari pointed out, it's a REALLY White state. One of the least diverse in the nation. On the flip side, people are for the most part fairly liberal and not bogged down by inherited religious dogma.

There is a fairly large dichotomy between economic classes. You'll find very poor rural areas as well as more cosmopolitan areas where the household income is quite high.

Lots of very nice small towns and beautiful natural areas. Some places to check out are the Green Mountain National Forest, Stowe, Killington, and Mount Mansfield. Also, I'm not sure if you're into this, but Vermont has a ton of really beautiful covered bridges. Many people travel there in the fall to get pics of the leaves changing around the bridges. Makes for some very picturesque scenery.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

When we lived in Connecticut, we used to visit Vermont occasionally. One of the prettiest states in the Union. You're gonna love it!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:16 pm So CITH, what do you want to know?

As Ari pointed out, it's a REALLY White state. One of the least diverse in the nation. On the flip side, people are for the most part fairly liberal and not bogged down by inherited religious dogma.

There is a fairly large dichotomy between economic classes. You'll find very poor rural areas as well as more cosmopolitan areas where the household income is quite high.

Lots of very nice small towns and beautiful natural areas. Some places to check out are the Green Mountain National Forest, Stowe, Killington, and Mount Mansfield. Also, I'm not sure if you're into this, but Vermont has a ton of really beautiful covered bridges. Many people travel there in the fall to get pics of the leaves changing around the bridges. Makes for some very picturesque scenery.
I am learning piece by piece. I am coming to the conclusion that Vermont is a weird state. But that's okay with me. I will fit right into the mix. The number one priority is I must live in a place that has reliable internet. I am receiving a degree and a credential in Health Information Technology but I am specializing in Hospital-based Medical Coding. If I really dedicate myself to this I can make almost 6 figures by reputation and building my own clients. That means I can work remotely and live anywhere in the US. I believe it is a great profession for someone my age. I don't plan to retire until 70 and plan to be a PRN even then. But, reliable broadband is essential.

What I am looking for is a balanced life. When I work I want to be dedicated, but off work I want to have fun. I believe that is a perfect life balance. Work hard, play hard. I am learning about cities in Vermont and will gravitate to the more educated cities. If I can't find that in Vermont New Hampshire is fine. I strongly believe I will fit into this piece of the country. It will ignite my thrill for life. I find Arizona stale now.

You are waiting for me to ask questions. Yet I'm not sure what to ask, at least right now. Amtrak runs through Rutland, VT where I can travel into NYC. It's big enough where my priorities could me met. And with Amtrak I have a direct route into NYC. That is enticing.

There is so much to learn. And I value your input, specifically because you've spent time here and have memories. I love history which makes this area even more enticing. What I am looking for is input for where I will settle. Modernization balanced with tradition. This is the right move. I have time to find the right place.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Based on your description of what you are looking for, I don't think you may not like Rutland. Take a look at Woodstock
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 am Based on your description of what you are looking for, I don't think you may not like Rutland. Take a look at Woodstock

CITH may be familiar with it, but when I was looking to relocate, I used City Data a lot.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Rutland-Vermont.html

Has a lot of economics of the city regarding home prices and income, closest universities, weather, and so on, even politics. Rutland went for Hillary in 2016.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I wanted to move there back when Vermont was paying young professionals to move there. My wife refused when she saw how winters would be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I love city-data
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I dont know that I could live anywhere except Burlington.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Live in CT for a few years and took a few trips to Vermont. Its a pretty rural place overall from what I could tell, but I never quite made it to Burlington. The only thing I will say about New England is everything starts to look the same after the initial month or so you're there. Although, this is how I feel about a lot of the east coast. I also weirdly felt claustrophobic driving around because you're basically driving through tunnels of trees all the time. At least northern New England has some bigger mountains to see in spots so its not quite as bad but still.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea that's something I can't get over whenever I leave the west. Especially in more suburban or rural areas. You can't see far or see mountains or anything I'm the distance. I can look out my office windows now and see the tiny sliver of a snow capped mountain. I'd hate not being able to see that every day.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If you have ever driven cross country, it's amazing how flat everywhere else is. There isn't a single spot in California where you cannot see the mountains, barring clear skies anyway. The midwest has to be the worst, just miles and miles of cornfields.

My mother grew up in Bellefontaine, Ohio which has the highest point in the state, 1,550 feet. Which is where my father was stationed during the Korean War since they had a DEW radar site there and met.

Highest point in Florida is 345 feet.

One thing I do enjoy about other states is how green they are, and how much fresh water they have. My daughter lives in eastern NC, which is very pretty. Rains so much that no one has sprinkler systems. I can't even remember the last time I saw fresh water out here in Cali in a lake or river.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea true that's the other side of the coin. I'm always blown away with how green things are everywhere else. And flowing water. Though that green only seems to last a few months a year in places like Wisconsin. Early May to late September at best.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am getting ready to move, but it isn't going to be Vermont. I am going to move to Lewiston, Maine. It is 37 miles NW of Portland. They have the largest hospital in Maine and the rent is reasonable. Portland is a little expensive. I can't wait to go fishing. And I've only seen an ocean once in my life (Florida). Looking forward to feasting on Lobster and crab.

During the winter I will definitely be ice skating, snow shoeing, and skiing. Maybe even have fun learning curling.
Last edited by Catintheheat on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good luck with everything CITH!

If you can adjust to the cold, you’ll love it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like a really cute town.

with a real downtown.

But I am truly a cold weather wimp

Trump won the county 50-47%, which is not as bad as I thought it would be.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

there arent many more beautiful places in the summer than Vermont and especially Maine, i have a huge place in my heart for Main. i implore anyone who has yet to visit this part of the country to make it a point to explore the coast of Maine and the northeast highlands of Vermont, well known for granite peaks bisected by beautiful flowing streams. Vermont (Piedmont region) is also one of the best kept secrets in the country for scenic views and untouched, breathtaking summertime hikes with backdrops to die for.

pro tip: pack a terrific picnic lunch one day and take a private dip in the Connecticut River after you investigate the White Mountain National Forest
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I spent many summers in Bridgton, Maine, hiking the woods around Sebago Lake, canoeing the Saco River, water skiing on Woods Pond, camping at Bar Harbor and in general spending as much time outdoors in those forests as possible.

As 97 said, it’s an amazing part of the country and I encourage everyone to visit at least once, even if only to eat the freshest sweetest lobster you ever tasted. Heck, even the McDonalds up there served Lobster Rolls when I was a kid.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I like the fact that Portland, ME is 112 miles from Boston via freeway. It is actually warmer than Burlington, on average, by 10-15 degrees. And I have been aching to freshwater fish for decades. One of my first stops will be Rangeley Lake.

My parents took me and my brother to Minnesota every summer, and we would rent a cottage on a lake for a couple of weeks. The tranquility of fishing is incredible. I fell in love with fishing. If I can land a better job in Portland I would rather live there. It's a livelier city and very progressive.

I've been watching the news about the cyclone blizzard hitting today. In the past that would have been freaky. Yet, I have been through blizzards like that before. Prepare for it and hunker down, and stay indoors until the wind dies down. I would probably have a propane heater handy just in case. It's been 3 decades but I have been through code weather, blizzards, and the Lake Michigan snow snow effect when I lived in South Bend, IN.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You are going to need to change your screen name to Catinthecold
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

The proximity to Montreal is far more exciting than Boston - particularly in the summer when the city comes alive. Such a phenomenal eating/living city.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Boston is not a great city. Montreal most certainly is.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Seriously, Montreal bagels and smoked meat > NYC bagels and smoked meat.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am going to start a blog for those who are interested. Right now I am taking a little time in learning how to post blogs. My ideas are flowing and I want them to be saved. And I am open to others who know me a little and are curious how this adventurous free spirit thinks. I am different and I embrace it!

There are some things I want to stay out of the blog. (Including the very inspirational Indica).
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Catintheheat wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:54 am I like the fact that Portland, ME is 112 miles from Boston via freeway. It is actually warmer than Burlington, on average, by 10-15 degrees. And I have been aching to freshwater fish for decades. One of my first stops will be Rangeley Lake.
When in Portland, eat at Eventide.

https://www.eventideoysterco.com/portland#menus-section

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... Maine.html

Back in the day when my father was still teaching at BU I took him on a road trip up to Acadia Park and through the Maritime Provinces. Discovered Eventide on the way up and made sure to hit in on the way back. Sat outside and gorged on those clam bakes with a large carafe of chilled white wine.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

GlobalCat wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:57 pm The proximity to Montreal is far more exciting than Boston - particularly in the summer when the city comes alive. Such a phenomenal eating/living city.
Just don't get caught up in the poutine hype. It's nothing special.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

It's all set. I'm renting an Airbnb room for a month, at the end of April, in Augusta while I look for work. That's cool because I can find a job before having to find an apartment. So I can apply in Augusta, Lewiston, Portland, and Scarborough. I will be looking for a medical coding or health information management job (degreed and certified in both).

The Kennebec River is right outside where I live (Hallowell) and I will have use of a kayak. Plus the superhost has a gym I can use.
Last edited by Catintheheat on Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I just saw an infographic that said Maine is the least diverse state in the country - something like 84% white.

Also, they keep electing Susan Collins.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Lewiston, ME has 3,000 refugee Somalians living there and the people have accepted them. They have won the state soccer championship 3 of the last 5 years with Somalian-Americans. Portland is about 10% black.

Susan Collins I have no excuse for. When she voted for Cavanaugh for Supreme Court I lost any remaining respect I had for her. I will definitely be voting against her next time she runs. BTW, Lewiston leans liberal.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:01 pm Boston is not a great city. Montreal most certainly is.
i have never been and dying to go
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Wyoming is like 91% white.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:43 pm
Chicat wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:01 pm Boston is not a great city. Montreal most certainly is.
i have never been and dying to go
I went for a bachelor party and it was fantastic. I’ve been dying to take my wife there for a romantic getaway AND to take another separate trip with our kids there to do a lot of the outdoors activities Quebec has to offer.

I think that just goes to show that it’s a city that’s got something for everyone. Phenomenal food & nightlife, incredible culture, and there’s hiking, whitewater rafting, and other things to do in the abundant nature that surrounds the city. Plus it’s a college town, so you get all the great things that come along with that.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

wyo-cat wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:35 pm Wyoming is like 91% white.
81.4%

Maine 90.2%

Click on the link

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Rolling out stats and shit. Nice.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Chicat wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:55 am I spent many summers in Bridgton, Maine, hiking the woods around Sebago Lake, canoeing the Saco River, water skiing on Woods Pond, camping at Bar Harbor and in general spending as much time outdoors in those forests as possible.

As 97 said, it’s an amazing part of the country and I encourage everyone to visit at least once, even if only to eat the freshest sweetest lobster you ever tasted. Heck, even the McDonalds up there served Lobster Rolls when I was a kid.
I lived in Casco and Portland, Maine and went to grad school briefly at St. Joseph's College right off Lake Sebago. I actually wish I explored more when I was there but I definitely enjoyed my time there. I did notice the lack of diversity but did notice the large Somali refugee population which was nice. I had just moved there right before 9-11 and I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of racism I experienced as a brown person living there. I definitely want to go back to Maine one day and explore Acadia National Park.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Geography King is one of my favorite YouTubers that I follow. This is very informative on why Maine is special, and why I can't wait to arrive.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The more I am researching this the more happier I get. I have a creative mind and this fits (so does Vermont). I want to be centered in the outdoors, and this is my most important reason. Maine is outdoors focused (so is Vermont). Yet it is less isolated and fits my current situation. Perhaps when I retire I will designate the place I retire. Yet, I plan to work at least to 70, and if I can't pay of my student debt by then I am intelligent ought to understand PFLF and know I will be retired before the age of 72. I will be available to PRN. I will work when I need to, and keep my credentials currant. I LOVE learning. I have the amazing ability to grasp situations, as long as I am informed fairly.

My father was the chairman of the board on Council on Aging in the Forth Wayne district in the early 80s. And I wonder if I can match this achievement.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

My itinerary is set. I will be staying with my sister in Denver for 3 days and my Brother in Dowagiac, MI for 3 days. I haven't seen my nephews since they were in junior high (live in Michigan and in their 30s now), and I've ever met my grand nephews. This journey is going to be special.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Lewiston Me has Spectrum (Charter) as the major supplier of TV and internet. They carry all Pac-12 channels. SOLD!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

It is happening. The path is miraculously opening up. Good people are intervening precisely at the right time. I am able to visit some of my family, possibly for the last time. The move is the right one. What happens in Maine is yet to be written.

I have sisters in Denver and a brother in Michigan. I am going to start an Instagram account for those who are interested in my trip. I will be driving through Monument Valley, Moab, Glenwood Springs, and Vail for the first part of the trip. I will record it for those who are interested. This will be my last great adventure. I will settle in Maine. I love Vermont but it didn't quite fit, Maine does. I hope I land in Portland.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I wanted to say I gave my notice to work and my apartment a week ago.

I am ready, even they I don't have employment yet. Although I am not concerned about that. First of all I paid for a month of airbnb in Augusta Maine starting Apr 27. Now I want to start working a job when I arrive. Portland ME first and Burlington VT second. What I have is some great references and (hopefully) a reference letter.

I want you to Google "Sister Margaret McBride" and see what she gave up for doing what was right. She has a type of courage that is rarely seen. I see her and I instantly want to give her a hug. While I am in Phoenix I would be there for her without question. I would even delay my move. She is a VP and I have more respect for her than anyone I've ever met. She gave up everything for her convictions and I will do the same for her, without question. I will be honored to stand by her side or march with her while I am in Phoenix.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Catintheheat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:32 pm I wanted to say I gave my notice to work and my apartment a week ago.

I am ready, even they I don't have employment yet. Although I am not concerned about that. First of all I paid for a month of airbnb in Augusta Maine starting Apr 27. Now I want to start working a job when I arrive. Portland ME first and Burlington VT second. What I have is some great references and (hopefully) a reference letter.

I want you to Google "Sister Margaret McBride" https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... %20ill.and see what she gave up for doing what was right. She has a type of courage that is rarely seen. I see her and I instantly want to give her a hug. While I am in Phoenix I would be there for her without question. I would even delay my move. She is a VP and I have more respect for her than anyone I've ever met. She gave up everything for her convictions and I will do the same for her, without question. I will be honored to stand by her side or march with her while I am in Phoenix.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The move is coming up so quickly and there are issues in the move that are missed. The biggest one is after April 18 I won't have a permanent address. I rented a room in Hallowell, ME (just outside of Augusta) for a month. So I won't have a permanent address until I go through orientation (at a hospital) and find an apartment. Right now it is all about logistics. I am concerned at all about employment.

My first choice for work is Portland, ME followed by Burlington, VT.