Vermont

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Re: Vermont

Post by Catintheheat »

This is Augusta, the city I am going to stay in Maine when I arrive. I am leaving in 3 weeks. I probably won't live here permanently, but this is my home base. I wish I could show you a pic of a map showing the lakes all over the area. The winter may be a struggle the first year. But, by God, this is heaven on earth. I will prepare to live in Portland, but won't be disappointed if I live here. Amazing. I am find northern New England special, and am amazed growth here is slow. Maybe people are afraid of the cold/snow or the diversity.

IMO, the problem isn't that northern New England isn't accepting of minorities, as much as minorities don't want to move here because they are uncomfortable it is almost totally white. I will tell you this. I have a lot of black and Hispanic (and any other race or LGBTQ+) friends in Arizona. I will become active in Instagram and they are welcome to visit me. And If I can accommodate them they will be welcome at my residence in Maine. If they can afford their own way I will be a grateful guide and enjoy their visit.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Such a pretty area.

Definitely get back into 4 season weather.

When I used to go visit my daughter in coastal NC, it was quite the change from the west. Lots of water, and lots of green.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Whistle Pig and Magic Hat #9 are two of the best things to come out of Vermont. And maple syrup.

Don't judge me.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am now in Augusta Maine. I live in a boarding house and is temporary until I find a place to live.

Almost as soon as I crossed the Maine border it's been raining and never stopped. I had to get used to the cold. It's been in the 30s at night, which is okay if it wasn't so windy. This is going to take getting used to. I can't have just an umbrella, a raincoat is important too.

One cool feature I've notice right away is plastic bags are not used in stores. All of them use sturdy reusable bags No more paper or plastic. Also the L.L. Bean brick and mortar store here is open 24/7. Many of the trees are just budding so they don't have leaves yet. I thought they would be in full bloom around the end of April, but that is not the case. Yet, I will have to say that the outdoor view from the NY Thruway, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine are breathtaking. Portland would be where I'd like to land because of the surrounding beauty, and the fresh lobster and all seafood. I can go to the dock and purchase seafood caught that day, take it to a local restaurant and they will cook it on the spot.

I love it here and the only way to pry me from the area is my body can't handle the cold during winter. I plan to go snow shoeing and cross-country skiing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Since I saw this SNL skit, this is all I think of with Vermont. Hope you're enjoying yourself CITH, congrats on the move!

https://youtu.be/nKcUOUYzDXA
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

That SNL skit is funny as hell because it is true. Adam Driver was great.

Maine is actually slightly more white than Vermont. But that doesn’t mean the people aren’t accepting of minorities. In the few days I’ve lived in Augusta and have seen minorities here. I believe it is more about people feeling uncomfortable than not being accepted. I know I would have a hard time living in an all black neighborhood even though the people were great and accepting. I would still feel out of place. Of course, that would change when I got to know people.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Here's another New England SNL skit for you CITH. We experienced this when my wife asked a guy working in a convenience store where in Maine the L.L. Bean factory was when we were in Portsmouth, NH:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... ay/2868135
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:41 pm Here's another New England SNL skit for you CITH. We experienced this when my wife asked a guy working in a convenience store where in Maine the L.L. Bean factory was when we were in Portsmouth, NH:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... ay/2868135
Once at summer camp we were trying to get to Acadia National Park and the old codger at the gas station literally said, “You can’t get there from here.”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I've talked to quite a few people here (in Maine) about healthcare and where to live. The best answer is Portland. I did hear that Bangor isn't bad (pronounced Bang Gore). Bangor is the most affordable but in the middle of nowhere. It is a college town and has things to offer. But not close to anything else.
I am beginning to know the issues here, including at Maine Health (Portland). They are the biggest healthcare company in Maine. They are dropping Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield as a tier one provider. The reason is Anthem are denying legitimate claims, and owe $70 million bills from the last 3 years. I don't blame them. Interestingly, Anthem is the insurance company of Maine Health. the company Maine Health contracts with for their employees. I hope it is United Healthcare when the dust settles. That is the insurance company St. Joseph Hospital used and I am happy with them.
In any case as I am researching the insurance at Maine Medical Center I can choose between HSA and Flex. HSA has a high deductible and Flex doesn't. Yet Maine Health does offer an account for HSA deductible, and HSA doesn't expire. It's worth taking extra out for HSA, if I can afford it. When I retire it would be very beneficial. It could pay for supplemental insurance. It would be nice having 10k in the bank for healthcare when I retire. Used wisely it will make retirement more enjoyable.
I like Portland. It is a 500k metro area. I am used to big metro areas and, figuring in this is the most diverse city on northern New England, I believe I will love it. The city is walkable. Plus, I am close to outdoor paradise. All the freshwater fishing I desire is close by. Yet exploring life on an ocean (Casco Bay) is as intriguing. Burlington Vermont is overpriced for its worth IMO. It's a great city but it is more tailored to the young.
My heart belongs to Portland. It's a shame that Hallowell, ME (outside of Augusta) isn't suited for a professional worker. It is amazing, like Bisbee, but not for me. Perhaps I would retire there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Have you checked out Acadia yet?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Chicat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:41 pm Have you checked out Acadia yet?
Not yet. I'm more concerned of finding a job. I will look in Bar Harbor for a healthcare job. That will be my first adventure when I'm settled. BTW, it is just this week that temperatures are reaching the 70s and 80s.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

There is a big problem working in Maine. Finding work is no problem. When I interviewed at a hospital in Portland, I was offered a management position when I wasn't seeking it. The pay is good. The problem is there is no housing at any price. The same with Augusta. I was at a local diner and was told when an apartment goes on the market at least thirty inquiries will be submitted on the first day. Rent is high, that is if an apartment can be found. I am staying at a boarding house and may stay here until I find something. The boarding house is affordable, and the owner is a good person. I love it here in Augusta. It's a town that predates the revolutionary war. They finished a project called "Museum in the Streets" where plaques are displayed telling the history of certain buildings that are at least 150 years old. Also, now that nearly all the trees are green the place is gorgeous, because beautiful isn't a strong enough word. Everywhere I've driven there is forest all around me. Well, except for the lakes and ponds and streams and rivers and an ocean. And what is considered a pond is bigger than most lakes I've visited.

Lewiston is an option, but they are facing a heroin epidemic. There are apartments and it would depend on where I live if it is safe. It is affordable. Bangor is affordable too, but it is in the north of the state. And the further north and west you travel in Maine, the further red it becomes. I'd run into trouble there, even though that is where The University of Maine is located.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Does the boarding house limit lights to 60 watts and no hot plates?

Actually pretty curious, since I am not familiar with them in real life.

Appears Maine may require low income housing to be built, which is already the case here in California, and highly disliked by those who already have homes. NIMBY at its best, and I am part of that, sadly.

https://www.pressherald.com/2022/04/07/ ... elessness/
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I don't notice any requirements, but the owner has everything supplied. She has security devices all over the house. I have full use of the kitchen, which has any appliance imaginable, including an instant pot and air fryer. Everything I need to cook with is available. I have my own bathroom and shower. Although the shower has a device that limits the flow of water. There is a small gym in the basement for residents to use, and a sauna too. A hot tub is on the patio. Spectrum cable and internet is provided with subs to Netflix, Prime Video, Starz, and other services. Upstairs has nice upholstered chairs with cup holders, a nice 4k tv to use, and a balcony with a table and umbrella, with a view of the Kennebec river. My room gets cleaned every Friday with new bedding, and bathroom towels. I have a parking spot.

My room even has it's own Keurig coffee maker. and mini fridge. I get along with the owner very well and will help her when she needs it. Rent is not expensive and I can wait until an opportunity for an apartment opens up.

I have fallen in love with Maine. This place is a paradise, especially during the summer. Just stay away from the north and west parts of Maine. That area is very red.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I applied and had an interview last Thursday at a hospital in Portland. They called me 15 minutes after I sent my resume. They liked me and told me they would contact me on Monday. On Friday I applied at at the Maine hospital in Augusta and had an interview on Monday. I went to the interview Monday morning and at the end of the interview the hiring manager told me to make an offer. I offered more than I thought they would by and the hiring manager added more to my offer. Then he said I would have a formal offer later that day. I accepted. What made my decision wasn't only that he showed I was important, but the hospital was very transgender friendly. They have unisex restrooms all over the place. And I already live in the Augusta area and love it here. The town is liberal, and where I am transitional living, it is really liberal. Augusta is a small town but clean, no air pollution, and incredibly beautiful. Lakes, ponds, forests, rivers, streams all over the place. And an ocean 1/2 hour away.

I (finally) received an email from the Portland hospital on Wednesday for a second interview. I made a courtesy call telling them I already accepted an offer from the major hospital in Augusta and was onboarding. I told her the big problem was housing. Portland has none. And when housing does become available dozens of people want the same place within hours. I don't want to commute while waiting for housing. AND the hospital wasn't set up to be transgender friendly. Very few unisex restrooms.

Maine General really wants me and even would help me finding an apartment. But I have lived in a boarding house in Hallowell, ME (Think Bisbee or Jerome), and already have contacts here with people who will help. And rent is going to be $100s less expensive than Portland. I am valued here and I feel I'm accepted and belong. I may not stay in Augusta for long and end up in Waterville. That is where I would work in administration. That is where I want to work until retirement. I can even be a PRN when I retire.

Moving to Maine was one of the best decisions I've made in my life.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I found an apartment in Hallowell, ME last week. It took me 3 months to find a place. It's not like a big city. A house or apartment comes on the market and dozens of people are applying for the same place.

What makes this town special is there are no corporate businesses here. No big chain grocery stores, no gas stations, convenience marts, anything corporate. Everything is privately owned. On weekends musicians come out and play on main street. This is a very happening place during the summer. Winter, well... that will be a challenge.

The reason I am posting this is that Augusta is having an ironman competition today. Estimated 2K competitors. They started by swimming in the Kennebec River, starting in Augusta (Hallowell is a village just south of Augusta). It's a perfect place to have this competition because of the Kennebec River and how hilly it is here. I have been watching bicycles go by my living room window for a couple hours now. Scott, the Chief-of-Police is directing traffic. I live at one of the most dangerous cross streets. So, Scott took that duty. It is so cool being able to talk with the Chief-of-Police who treats me like a human being. The runners will be passing by in an hour or two.

This is my favorite place I've ever lived, it's not even close. The summer alone is worth it. Three hiking areas within a 1/2 mile from where I live and the green forest here is beyond gorgeous. Maine is the most forested state in the country.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like a thriving downtown, not something you see anymore in small town America.

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

My view of Maine is changing. I am not happy with the Augusta area at all.

My truck died. Had it for 24 years. When I tried to switch my title, the state mess it up. They say the Arizona title I sent them is invalid. They want the title I supposedly received from Arizona this year on May 20th. I've lived here since April 27th. My view of state government took a hit.

Now that I don't have a car yet, so I have to walk a lot. I'm waiting on my new Subaru Legacy to arrive in late September. I walk a lot at work, and the extra walking hurt my knee. They wanted a follow-up cat scan, with the best appointment 1 1/2 months later. So I need transportation to get around. August public transportation really sucks. It is really small and very poorly run. They don't even show where the bus stops are. If things don't turn around I plan to leave this state next spring.

I'm considering moving to New Hampshire, or close to my brother in Michigan. New Hampshire doesn't have the stupid yearly car inspection law. What a sham! They don't have sales tax or income tax. Although property tax is through the roof. Michigan would be close to my brother. He is politically conservative but I still love him. And besides he lives on a lake.

I haven't even had a chance to explore Maine much. Maybe this fall when I get my new car.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine migration from Arizona to Vermont just pales in comparison to the other direction.

But then again, maybe not. The migration numbers are certainly less than staggering.

https://www.atqed.com/migration/us/vermont-to-arizona
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I have more insight on Maine. Do I like where I live in Hallowell? Mixed. If you don't have a car you are screwed and have to adjust. Other than bars, everything closes at 6 pm. I don't like Augusta. The only thing they have going for them is they aren't Lewiston/Auburn. As I understand this area I am not impressed that this is the state capital. Bangor is better, because it is a college town and is close to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Yet, I'm skeptical if it is worth moving their and working in their hospital.

I find Waterville a better area. It is considered in the Augusta/Waterville area. But, medical appointments are much better. Better doctors here. There are drug problems, but there are good areas. I find Waterville better than Augusta.

Portland is the gem. And that is where I desire to work and retire. I feel I don't fit into the baby boomer generation and Portland has so much to offer. I am working on the money to live in Portland. It fits and I want to live here.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

It barely snowed one morning in November and that turned into rain in the morning. Overnight we are getting slammed with 12" of snow. I haven't driven in a snowstorm in about 35 years. Yesterday I could see grass. It is gone now and probably won't see it again until mud season. Since it is 34 degrees it is a wet snow. Very slushy. Even my Subaru was slipping a little bit.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How can you stay warm at all? Your furnace must be running 24/7.

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

It is going to get down to -22. And the wind is 15 mph. I am at work right now. The temperature was -9 when I left for work.When I left the thermostat was set for 68 but the heat could only reach 65. It is a floor hot water heater with vents all around the floors. I do have a space heater which I will start up in my bedroom when I get home. I am a little concerned about pipes bursting, or electricity out. Winter has been great until now.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have the opposite problem. In the summer I set the AC at 75 and it can't get below 78.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I have the water dripping tonight.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Vermont received a lot more rain than Maine. And it's rained here almost every day for the last 2 months.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

More.

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I made a new friend at work. She was telling me she was from Lebanon, NH and plans to go back. Lebanon is on the Hew Hampshire side of the Connecticut River with Vermont on the other side. I am going to be applying at the hospital there. It is a major hospital and is associated with Dartmouth College. When I start working at the hospital I can take paid classes at Dartmouth that relates to my work. The area is breathtaking. Woodstock, VT is only a few miles away. Killington ski resort is an hour away. Not that I am going to ski much. My friend will help set me up with housing. Hospital recruiters will help set that up. I am confident I will be hired there. But we will see. If you didn't already know, Dartmouth College, although small, is in the Ivy League. I will keep you informed in how it goes.

I am not going to retire because, frankly, I wouldn't know what to do. I would just fade away. As long as I am able to work and contribute I will. I am fortunate to be in good mental health (in my crazy way), and good physical health. To me this would be a chance of a lifetime.

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Catintheheat, you will be very fortunate to find yourself employed and living in the area you describe. It's been a long time, but I speak from experience. Breathtaking is the right word. To be able to take paid classes at Dartmouth is the cherry on top. Good for you.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I feel compelled to say this because I remember others mentioning Maine is a very white state. I found there are a fair share of black people in Augusta and living here over a year I am amazed. Of all the states I've visited I'd have to say Maine is the least racist state. It's uncanny. I think it has a lot to do with the integration of race here. There are a lot of mixed couples and no one would bat an eye if they saw it. I have a close friend, who is black with a white wife, who invites me to visit, and I can borrow a kayak from him at any time. He lives in a very small town outside of Augusta and has Amish neighbors.

I have another friend who is free spirited like me and is black. I can visit her any time and she will work on my appearance.

I wanted to make one last point, the dialects of black and white people here are the same. Well...unless you are a native Mainer and have a Boston accent (a city that has racial problems). I don't like Boston. All of us are treated the same with employers. All our wages suck equally.

I am pleasantly surprised in Maine, at least here in Augusta. I am not leaving because of the culture, but because the cost of living is too high for wages.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am going on a road trip to Sugarloaf Mountain in Maine, and Carrabassett Valley, this coming weekend to see the fall foliage. Sugarloaf Mountain is a major ski resort in Maine and has a gondola to the top. This is one of the biggest weekends of the year there.

https://www.sugarloaf.com/events-calendar/homecoming
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I've been working on speaking Mainer, it's close to the Boston accent. In reality, most people speak a general English that would pass in Tucson. The heavy accent people live in the NE part of the state. Anyway, Good Theater produced this. This is one of my lesson books on speaking Mainer.

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:55 pm I've been working on speaking Mainer
All I remember from my days as a boy in summer camp in Bridgton is that if you ask an old Mainer how to get somewhere they’ll say, “Ayuh… ya caaan’t get there from heyah!”.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

This article is about the electricity crews who worked on repairing the power structure around the clock. Because of the wind, they couldn't even start until day 2.

https://www.wmtw.com/article/thank-you- ... g/46210336

This is really cool. I need to thank all the crews from the area. The storm we went through is generational. Electric crews came from close by to fairly far away. Thank goodness the hospital opened their doors for me to sleep. This is one of the two biggest storms I've lived through. I live through a blizzard in 1977 when I lived in Indiana. 33 inches of snow in one night followed by howling winds and below 0 temperatures. We couldn't leave the house for 2 days. But at least we were prepared and we never lost electricity. This storm dropped over 12 inches of rain during the day and included was the melting snow that went with it.

The nor'easter caused over 90% of Kennebec county to lose electricity for at least a day. It took 3 days to get my electricity back. There were dozens of small towns where no one had power. in the county. Kennebec County (where I live) was hit the hardest in Maine. Some had to wait almost a day longer when the low for the night was 18 degrees. I left when the temp inside got below 50 degrees. And slept at the hospital. the hospital allows employees to sleep there during storms.

This first thing I needed was a cigarette lighter for the candles. I need much better candles. I need to get the big ones. I am lucky I had new batteries for the flashlight. I bought a 12 pound blanket for sleeping. Maybe a sleeping bag would have been more practical.

There was a part of Augusta that wasn't affected. It is was where I do most of my shopping. So that was a blessing. I cook almost every day and rarely eat at restaurants much because it is extremely difficult to find healthy options. I had no choice but to eat out for a few days in a row out of necessity. The Liberal Cup bar and grill, in Hallowell, is my favorite place to eat. It is a pub where a person can socialize with the locals. They brew their own beer too.

Anyway, on day two I had to keep the meat frozen. I was lucky to find ice. And a neighbor allowed me to use her cooler. I have enough frozen food to last near a month, and I didn't want to lose it.

The woman who owns the rooming house I stayed at when I moved here, also offered an area to sleep. People are really cool people around here. They understand the situation. They have my thanks and gratitude.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I just turned 64 and am seriously looking for retirement. If someone wouldn't hire someone 50 years old or more, that is crazy. It doesn't make any sense. You are behind the times. Age isn't important as it was. In modern society people move around a lot. Don't expect any younger employee to stay with any employer for long. It is not the same.

I struggled with this a lot. I read that if I was over 50 forget about it. Yet, if older people see contracts that are advantageous (I couldn't think of better words in the time I am willing to allot), that is laughable. Older citizens are wise. No doubt about that. They are undervalued. I remember Chicat saying if you are 50, sorry you are too old. I am speaking in gist. Crazy! Life goes on. If if a person discriminates for any reason, they are selling themselves short.

You have to be open minded. Don't sell anyone short. I can speak. I love to speak. I take pride in manipulating listeners to what I want to convey. In school (in the last few years) I wanted to speak. I understood what my talents were. No one else wanted to speak. I understand emotion. I can, to a degree, manipulate the listener to my point of view. It is actually a musical gift.

I don't know where to cut this off, other than I understand more about Northern New England. I do know we all hate Massholes. Those who invade northern New England to buy summer homes and make the lives hell for those who want to work in northern New England year round.

I love this part of the country. It is magical, and breathtaking. If you want to visit during the summer I will find accommodations. The next year matters for me. I turn 65 in December of 24. Medicare becomes important because of laws. I like New Hampshire laws the best, and that is where I desire to live. I am tempted to receive Medicare benefits at 65 because of the Medicare benefits.

The more I know the more I love New Hampshire supplement plans For insurance their plans are fantastic. If I choose to retire it isn't a bad option. Yet, I don't want to fully retire until 2030. I want Social Security to accumulate until I reach the age of 70. I can retire in 2026 and receive 25% less. It may be an easier when I reach the age of 70 (my nutrition is good).

I am working on my code credential, but this part of the country is amazing. Mountains, forests, trees, oceans, rivers, lakes. I am blessed in where I live.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:49 pm I remember Chicat saying if you are 50, sorry you are too old. I am speaking in gist. Crazy!
What an asshole!!!

But seriously, I don’t remember saying this. And if I did I’m sorry. I’m fairly close to 50 now, so that definitely bites down very hard on the ol’ Cock o’ Karma.

Enjoy New England. It’s a truly incredible place.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:49 pm I am tempted to receive Medicare benefits at 65 because of the Medicare benefits.

You absolutely have to sign up for Medicare at 65. There is no other option even if you have a supplemental plan.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:06 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:49 pm I am tempted to receive Medicare benefits at 65 because of the Medicare benefits.

You absolutely have to sign up for Medicare at 65. There is no other option even if you have a supplemental plan.
You don't have to sign up for Medicare at 65 if you are still working and have insurance you like better there.

https://www.helpadvisor.com/medicare/is ... tory-at-65

What Happens if You Don’t Sign up for Medicare at 65?

When you near your 65th birthday, you will enter what is called your Initial Enrollment Period (IEP). This seven-month period begins three months before you turn 65, includes the month of your birthday and continues for three additional months. This is your first opportunity to sign up for Medicare.

If you choose not to sign up for Medicare during your IEP, there are a few scenarios that might play out depending on your situation.

If you choose not to sign up because you are still covered by another qualified insurance policy, you may delay your Medicare enrollment until a later time and will not be subject to any late enrollment penalties once you do sign up.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Maine and Vermont use community-rated Medicare. That means everyone pays the same, regardless of age. New Hampshire is obtained-age Medicare meaning if I sign up at age 65, that is my rate for the rest of my life. There are cost of living adjustments, but will always pay the same rate as those who are the same age as the age I signed up. If I sign up at age 65? I will always pay the same as 65 year olds who sign up.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:43 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:49 pm I remember Chicat saying if you are 50, sorry you are too old. I am speaking in gist. Crazy!
What an asshole!!!

But seriously, I don’t remember saying this. And if I did I’m sorry. I’m fairly close to 50 now, so that definitely bites down very hard on the ol’ Cock o’ Karma.

When it comes to aging “Dark Side of the Moon” by Pink Floyd is one of the most profound pieces ever written. It is all about life. And the older you get, the more the album shows its depth. It is a concept album, meaning it is meant to be listened to all the way through in one sitting. It has been on the Billboard top 200 chart for 988 weeks.

It is amazing how our perspective changes as we get older.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Catintheheat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:06 pm
Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:43 pm
What an asshole!!!

When it comes to aging “Dark Side of the Moon” by Pink Floyd is one of the most profound pieces ever written. It is all about life. And the older you get, the more the album shows its depth. It is a concept album, meaning it is meant to be listened to all the way through in one sitting. It has been on the Billboard top 200 chart for 988 weeks.

It is amazing how our perspective changes as we get older.
I think the most profound moment is when the axes of time and money trade places. You may be liberated in the realization that you have more money than time, or be terrified if you read the inversion as having less time than money. But isn't it always about the read when no more than two pieces comprise the reader? Retirement should IMO be all about expanding the number of pieces and rereading a lot of new pieces.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:19 am
Beautiful. Rare I saw snow like that this year. There isn't any snow on the ground right now. The temperature has mostly been in the 40s to low 50s for the high. When we did get some snow it turned into rain and we had a winter of slush. If I can make it to Lebanon, NH, Woodstock, VT is 19 miles from Lebanon. I would be living on the New Hampshire/Vermont border. I could live in either state.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Tonight, through tomorrow, we are going to get slammed with a nor’easter blizzard. What I am learning is people who grew up in Maine don’t care. Losing electricity, no problem. Mainers use this as a badge of honor. Mainers are tough. If I lose electricity tonight, no problem. If the electricity goes out I can still go to my favorite pub in Hallowell. They will serve drinks, and have something to eat.Maine is beautiful, but harsh.Living on the edges is a Maine thing.It is a rite of passage.