Bourbon

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Bourbon

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:33 pm Bourbon influencer?
She built a 50k following on TikTok for keto recipes, so I’m not going to doubt her.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 pm
She built a 50k following on TikTok for keto recipes, so I’m not going to doubt her.
So ultimately she'll get money from the bourbon producers if she's successful?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:40 pm
Doubtful. But I bet they’ll send her some free shit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:51 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:40 pm
Doubtful. But I bet they’ll send her some free shit.
An under-the-influencer then. Good gig that.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:13 am Evan Williams Bottled in Bond

It’s 100 proof so water it down to your heart’s content.
I'm seeing more and more recommendations for this. I've put it on my list to check out.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:02 pm Well, tried 2 new ones tonight.

1792 and Elijah Craig small batch. They both smell great but the 1792 smells a little better. For me, they both taste good but the Elijah is better. Both are spicy and nutty but the 1792 has more oak taste.

I like em both and would buy either one again.
Chi. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on these two and also Old Forester 100 proof.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:25 pm

1792 and Elijah Craig small batch. They both smell great but the 1792 smells a little better. For me, they both taste good but the Elijah is better. Both are spicy and nutty but the 1792 has more oak taste.

Chi. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on these two and also Old Forester 100 proof.
I’ve never liked an Elijah Craig I’ve tried, including the Small Batch. They taste fake to me for some reason. Like they included flavor additives to make up for a short aging process.

I have not had the pleasure of trying 1792 yet, but going to the Barton Distillery is on my bucket list. I believe it’s the oldest bourbon distillery still in operation. Looks cool as fuck from the pictures.

I love pretty much every Old Forester I’ve tasted, including the 100 proof. The overproof 1920 is probably my favorite, but I water it way down. Neat is straight fire but letting it mellow with some water and ice gives it a beautiful finish.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Thanks to Westbound (outdoor bar in the MSA Annex near the Caterpillar building in Tucson), I’ve been turned onto the Boulevardier cocktail. It will be my go to at quality bars for the duration of the winter. They use Four Roses, btw.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:06 am
Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:25 pm

I’ve never liked an Elijah Craig I’ve tried, including the Small Batch. They taste fake to me for some reason. Like they included flavor additives to make up for a short aging process.

I have not had the pleasure of trying 1792 yet, but going to the Barton Distillery is on my bucket list. I believe it’s the oldest bourbon distillery still in operation. Looks cool as fuck from the pictures.

I love pretty much every Old Forester I’ve tasted, including the 100 proof. The overproof 1920 is probably my favorite, but I water it way down. Neat is straight fire but letting it mellow with some water and ice gives it a beautiful finish.
Thanks Chi. Of the OF products I've only tried the 100 proof. I think its amazing and looking forward to checking out more of their stuff.

If you like a spicy oak flavor, you're probably going to dig 1792.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:21 pm I’ve been throwing moonshine cherries in my old fashioneds and loving every moment of it.

I tried one of the High West ryes but I can’t remember which one. It had too much spice for me and I haven’t been back to try others. You can find them at liquor stores but not at bars/restaurants so if I want to branch out I have to fork over a chunk of change to find out it’s the one I didn’t like.
a friend of mine went to Tennessee this past weekend and picked me up some white lightening moonshine. ive had crude moonshine before but never production quality. im excited to give it a try.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I've had Arkansas 'shine. I'd rather drink 200 proof WD-40.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

its not too bad, mine is 140 proof tho...nice zing!
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

WL Weller Special Reserve is spectacular. Harder to find without crazy markup by retailers. Exceptionally smooth.

I love four roses small batch more than their single cask.

Buffalo trace is the most common bourbon I’ll have; bullet the most common rye. Costco was selling WhistlerPig 6 year rye for $29.97/bottle last year and became our “house” whiskey until we ran out.

Makers Mark has an awesome mailing list with free Christmas gifts they send out annually.

If I’m out having cocktails at some fancy place (pre-covid), the Greenpoint was my favorite to order.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Global!!! Welcome back!
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 pm Global!!! Welcome back!
Feels like I've never left!

(Probably because I've been lurking for the past 7 years.)
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Recently picked up a bottle of Redwood Empire Lost Monarch whiskey because several people on the net recommended it. Not good and very overrated. Don't bother.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I visited the family vacation house last week and found a mostly finished bottle of Old Forester 1920. It's great

I just got a bottle of Old Forester 1910. Even better and the best bourbon I've tried so far.

I also picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's good but in my mind, not as good as most OF products.

My collection is almost complete, but I'm looking hard for a bottle of Early Times Bottled in Bond (pre-Szarac) I just cant find it anywhere near where I live. Anybody have any suggestions in the San Diego area?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nice CD!

Got a bottle of Rowan’s Creek for V-Day from the wife and it’s super tasty. And just grabbed another bottle of Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond because I keep going through them too quickly. Also snagged a Bulleit Rye because it was way on sale. For being mass produced it’s still probably my favorite.

By the way, my friend who I mentioned who wants to be a bourbon influencer has a meeting Monday with the biggest liquor store in our area about getting sponsored. Apparently they’re talking about enough that she can “influence” full time.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

That's cool. I keep seeing the EWBIB around but want to finish the giant EW bottle I already have before I try the BIB

Your friend seems like she might gain some great insight and some deals.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

And I'll start looking for that Rowan's Creek. Hope my liver holds out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Within the past year my wife has gotten into bourbon after HATING even the smell of whiskey ever since frat parties at UofA. As such, the collection has gotten real nice.

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:28 am Within the past year my wife has gotten into bourbon after HATING even the smell of whiskey ever since frat parties at UofA. As such, the collection has gotten real nice.

Nice! I'd post my collection, but posting pics here always gets painful for me.

I see a couple I recognize. Is that a bottle of Early Times Bottled in Bond? If not, I highly recommend it and especially if you can find the old Brown Forman stuff. It's cheap too. I see the Redwood Empire. High ratings, but for me, overrated. I feel the same way about the EHT BIB and Blantons, but that's just me.

I highly recommend you try Old Forester 1910 and 1920 if you haven't. Also their basic 100 proof is very good and IMO underrated.

Recently I bought a bottle of New Riff single barrel. A few weeks after I broke the seal, it opened up and is probably my favorite right now. It's a single barrel though and different barrels might vary.

I also recently bought some Benchmark Bonded. Cheap, but not bad.

Tried any Smokewagon? I like it.

Right now I'm searching for Coopers Craft 100. Supposed to be good, but nowhere to be found in places I've checked.

For readily available stuff, highly recommend the Woodford Double Oaked. Not too expensive, but it's really great.

Also not a big fan of Jack Daniel's, but I have some JD Single Barrel Select which is very, very good.

Wifey and I did the bourbon trail in Louisville and Lexington last spring. Had a great time.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I mostly just drink my bourbon neat nowadays, but definitely in moderation.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:28 am Within the past year my wife has gotten into bourbon after HATING even the smell of whiskey ever since frat parties at UofA. As such, the collection has gotten real nice.

You married well, you dirty dog.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:28 am I see a couple I recognize. Is that a bottle of Early Times Bottled in Bond? If not, I highly recommend it and especially if you can find the old Brown Forman stuff. It's cheap too. I see the Redwood Empire. High ratings, but for me, overrated. I feel the same way about the EHT BIB and Blantons, but that's just me.

I highly recommend you try Old Forester 1910 and 1920 if you haven't. Also their basic 100 proof is very good and IMO underrated.

Recently I bought a bottle of New Riff single barrel. A few weeks after I broke the seal, it opened up and is probably my favorite right now. It's a single barrel though and different barrels might vary.

I also recently bought some Benchmark Bonded. Cheap, but not bad.

Tried any Smokewagon? I like it.

Right now I'm searching for Coopers Craft 100. Supposed to be good, but nowhere to be found in places I've checked.

For readily available stuff, highly recommend the Woodford Double Oaked. Not too expensive, but it's really great.

Also not a big fan of Jack Daniel's, but I have some JD Single Barrel Select which is very, very good.

Wifey and I did the bourbon trail in Louisville and Lexington last spring. Had a great time.
Nope, not the Early Times BIB, but I’ll check it out if I see it.

We really like that bottle of Redwood Empire we have. It’s the Pipe Dream. Very smooth and a little smokey.

Love all the Old Forresters. Can’t keep them on my shelf. They’re also my go to at bars that stock them (unless they’re outrageously priced).

Had a New Riff single barrel pick that I just finished. It was pretty good. Not all that memorable but a nice sipper.

Haven’t had any Smokewagon or Benchmark yet but I’ve heard good things.

Our most recent bottle crack was the Weller Special Reserve. It’s goddamn amazing. Our friend just dropped off two more bottles so we are loving life. Cheap too. $22 each. Cannot beat it if you can find it.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Apropos the long game: this is the set-up, so enjoy it, but the warning signs may soon emerge. If she starts talking casually about getting an in-ground pool and some local kid/dude to do the maintenance .....

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:15 am Apropos the long game: this is the set-up, so enjoy it, but the warning signs may soon emerge. If she starts talking casually about getting an in-ground pool and some local kid/dude to do the maintenance .....
When it becomes apparent that the wife is trying to rapidly accelerate my liver disease, that’s when I break into the REALLY good stuff.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:17 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:15 am Apropos the long game: this is the set-up, so enjoy it, but the warning signs may soon emerge. If she starts talking casually about getting an in-ground pool and some local kid/dude to do the maintenance .....
When it becomes apparent that the wife is trying to rapidly accelerate my liver disease, that’s when I break into the REALLY good stuff.
Hmm. And here I thought it was MY idea for the wife and I to go to the bourbon trail. Maybe I better let the dog start testing my food before I eat it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Picked up that Benchmark Bonded as per your suggestion CD. Looking forward to cracking it!

Meanwhile I got talked into drinking the Willit Pot Still at this bar. I think they’re trying to get rid of it. Takes up a lot of room on the shelf.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I didnt hear good things about that Willit.

I'm looking for the Weller based on your suggestion.

I think you'll find the Benchmark a bit better than expected for the price.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Benchmark is good!

But also picked up the Rabbit Hole Dareringer today and the wife demanded I get drunk on that. So that’s where we are. I’ll have to take a sip of the Benchmark tomorrow when I’m in a more sober state.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I toured the Rabbit Hole distillery. I like their stuff ok.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I'm not mucch of a bourbon drinker. I like Wild Turkey, but Maker's Mark is sorta boring - I haven't been energized to experiment.

But I've gone through a fair bit of scotch though.

Matter of fact, I think I'll go downstairs and have a bit of Ardbeg 12yo right now.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:20 pm Benchmark is good!

But also picked up the Rabbit Hole Dareringer today and the wife demanded I get drunk on that. So that’s where we are. I’ll have to take a sip of the Benchmark tomorrow when I’m in a more sober state.
A buddy got me a bottle of Dareringer a while back. I liked that one!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

RichardCranium wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:58 pm I'm not mucch of a bourbon drinker. I like Wild Turkey, but Maker's Mark is sorta boring - I haven't been energized to experiment.

Matter of fact, I think I'll go downstairs and have a bit of Ardbeg 12yo right now.
The regular Makers is disgusting to me. I bought one bottle awhile back and damn near poured it out. Just entirely too sweet. I've heard good things about their higher level stuff, but just can't bring myself to try it.

Wild Turkey 101 is pretty good to me.

Scotch doesn't work for me at all.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:14 am
RichardCranium wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:58 pm I'm not mucch of a bourbon drinker. I like Wild Turkey, but Maker's Mark is sorta boring - I haven't been energized to experiment.

You're going to hell. Single malt whisky is the only potentially tempting evidence of divinity. Everyone recognizes Chicat is beyond redemption, but you still have time to save yourself. Repent!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There’s a thread for that you heathens.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:14 am

The regular Makers is disgusting to me. I bought one bottle awhile back and damn near poured it out. Just entirely too sweet. I've heard good things about their higher level stuff, but just can't bring myself to try it.

Wild Turkey 101 is pretty good to me.

I heard there is a new Makers out which is supposed to be pretty good.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:02 am
Our most recent bottle crack was the Weller Special Reserve. It’s goddamn amazing. Our friend just dropped off two more bottles so we are loving life. Cheap too. $22 each. Cannot beat it if you can find it.

That stuff is spectacular - and I can't find it for under $95 bottle IF I can find it at all. Unique orange color, so good...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The wife grabbed us a bottle of the Castle & Key Wheated. Lot of cinnamon and brown sugar on the nose, hot on the palate. An ice cube mellows it. Nice pour.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I just had a little glass of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's pretty good but people rave about it. Wild Turkey 101 is much cheaper and personally, I like it better.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

And a little glass of Russels Reserve 10 last night. It's OK.

At this point, I may never get to try some of the really good high-end stuff. It's just too expensive.

I'm on the hunt for the Wellers and Coopers Craft.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I like the Russell’s Reserve 10. The Violet Hour (which is probably the best cocktail bar in Chicago) uses it for their old fashioned’s so I started doing the same (and making my own turbanado simple syrup - will never go back to regular sugar).

We have an unopened bottle of the Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel which I’m itching to empty.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

That RR Single Barrel should be real good.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hope so! But as you mentioned before, single barrels can be hit or miss.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m at a restaurant bar in Ohio for my new project and I’m jonesing for an after dinner Bourbon.

This place specializes in Bourbons. Even see some Van Winkles. What to choose…
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

First up - Weller Antique 107
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nice call!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:17 pm First up - Weller Antique 107
Bueno?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »