Bourbon

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Bourbon

Post by Carcassdragger »

Favorites?

I'm partial to Woodford Reserve. Great flavor.

I also like Buffalo Trace. Mellow with great flavor. A good value too.

For cheaper stuff, i think Evan Williams is ok.

I bought some Makers Mark awhile back because at my vacation home, I didn't have much choice. It's way too sweet and not good. I'm thinking for my taste, it's way overrated. Seems like it may be better if you sip your Bourbon, but I like to mix mine with Mexican (cane sugar) coke.

I dony care st all for Jack Daniel's. Way overrated, although Gentleman Jack is OK.

Jim Beam? Ok but not a favorite.

Wild Turkey is just not good.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Chicat

Re: Bourbon

Post by Chicat »

I drink way too much Evan Williams. I buy the real big bottles.

I’ve been a fan of the Bulleit Bourbon and the Bulleit Rye for a long time.

I am getting into Four Roses. Their small batch is really good.

Jefferson’s Reserve Ocean Aged is great. Big fan of Angel’s Envy too. Had the Willet Pot Still recently and really liked it. Basil Hayden’s is really fucking good too.

Locally we have Journeyman which makes some really good bourbons. I hope they get bigger because people should taste what they’re putting out.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m loving this thread. I too am partial to Bulleit and Four Roses.

I will always try something different now and then. Right now I’ve got some Redemption.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Agree on Makers Mark. Too sweet and bland.
Disagree on Wild Turkey. Beautiful.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:56 pm I drink way too much Evan Williams. I buy the real big bottles.

Jefferson’s Reserve Ocean Aged is great. Big fan of Angel’s Envy too. Had the Willet Pot Still recently and really liked it. Basil Hayden’s is really fucking good too.

Locally we have Journeyman which makes some really good bourbons. I hope they get bigger because people should taste what they’re putting out.
Great insight. I'll try some of those.

I've heard good things about the Rye. For me, Bulliet bourbon is ok but not special.

I want to try that Angel's Envy.

It's a funny thing, I like 4 Roses ok, and is probably a favorite for moderate priced stuff, (although I like Buffalo Trace at about the same price better) but I tried 4 Roses small batch and didn't like it at all.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I used to be a big bourbon drinker, but haven't had any in many years, pretty much all red wine now. Can't even stomach it now.

Did like Wild Turkey, and like the others, Makers Mark not so much.

But Costco has top shelf liquors, and would definitely try these if I still drank hard liquors.

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Black Maple Hill Small batch is great. It used to be reasonably priced, now it is damn expensive.

I tend to fall back to Blanton’s often.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

WildcatStunner wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:02 am Black Maple Hill Small batch is great. It used to be reasonably priced, now it is damn expensive.

Are you talking about the original "Black Maple Hill small Batch (discontinued ~2010)? It was one of my favorites, until it was "discovered" and the pricing rose inordinately... It was discontinued because the aged Kentucky vats were drying up, and Heaven Hill decided to market small batch itself rather than sell to the bottlers.

Now I see the same folks are marketing "Oregon Black Maple Hill", which I have not seen on shelves - but I hear its both expensive, and considerable less special than the original.

Here's a review: https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styl ... l-whiskey/

I also rely on Blanton's, though it is becoming increasingly difficult to locate in New Mexico.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:39 pm
WildcatStunner wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:02 am Black Maple Hill Small batch is great. It used to be reasonably priced, now it is damn expensive.

Are you talking about the original "Black Maple Hill small Batch (discontinued ~2010)? It was one of my favorites, until it was "discovered" and the pricing rose inordinately... It was discontinued because the aged Kentucky vats were drying up, and Heaven Hill decided to market small batch itself rather than sell to the bottlers.

Now I see the same folks are marketing "Oregon Black Maple Hill", which I have not seen on shelves - but I hear its both expensive, and considerable less special than the original.

Here's a review: https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styl ... l-whiskey/

I also rely on Blanton's, though it is becoming increasingly difficult to locate in New Mexico.
It has been awhile since I sought Black Maple Hill. But I was talking about the original (the bottle pictured on the right). I had no idea that it dried up. Very unfortunate. It is a shame it went the way of Pappy Van Winkle.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Got into a fight with the wife.

Know who I’ve never gotten into a fight with?

Evan Williams.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Now that I'm almost a dad I feel like I should be getting into things like bourbon and scotch. I just never could before. I am taking a couple months off drinking though until the kid is a bit older and will actually sleep a tad (hopefully).

All this to say I might be back here soon for some starter tips.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't realize this, but there is a glass shortage and distillers are rationing their bottles.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/05/ ... r-bottles/
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

More of a Rye guy. High West out of Park City has some of my favorites. Rendezvous, Bourye, and the Double Rye.

For an old fashioned I'll use Bulleit, Old Overholt, Templeton or Redemption. With Luxardo Marsaschino cherries of course.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve been throwing moonshine cherries in my old fashioneds and loving every moment of it.

I tried one of the High West ryes but I can’t remember which one. It had too much spice for me and I haven’t been back to try others. You can find them at liquor stores but not at bars/restaurants so if I want to branch out I have to fork over a chunk of change to find out it’s the one I didn’t like.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Ok so probably heading to total wine and/or Costco Thursday. I used to drink cheap whiskey in my early 20s as a party drink but now as a dad I want to be a professional, responsible, and mature drinker who enjoys bourbon.

I don't really want to spend more than 30ish bucks on a bottle of something if I don't like it. What should I start with?

Also, I don't really drink any booze straight or sipping, but I'm open to learning. I am pretty susceptible to the harsh burn of alcohol and can't taste much else, especially when it's room temp.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

scumdevils86 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:26 pm Ok so probably heading to total wine and/or Costco Thursday. I used to drink cheap whiskey in my early 20s as a party drink but now as a dad I want to be a professional, responsible, and mature drinker who enjoys bourbon.

I don't really want to spend more than 30ish bucks on a bottle of something if I don't like it. What should I start with?

Also, I don't really drink any booze straight or sipping, but I'm open to learning. I am pretty susceptible to the harsh burn of alcohol and can't taste much else, especially when it's room temp.
Get some Buffalo Trace and mix it with coke. I can get BT for about 20-25 a bottle and I think it's damn good.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond

It’s 100 proof so water it down to your heart’s content.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Thanks for the recommendations. I see you liked Basil Hayden's too Chi, reviews are very good too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Basil Hayden’s is fantastic. Around me bottles go for around $40 but well worth it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I see it for $28 at total wine and Costco currently so that could be the the winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just remember that there’s no wrong way to drink bourbon. If some jerk face starts talking about only drink it meat, or no more than two drops of water, or ice cubes were made by Satan, cut them out of your life. They don’t want to see you happy.

Also Old Fashioneds are delicious and there are very few bourbons I wouldn’t make one with.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I make old fashioneds all the time....

But Wisconsin style for my wife.

Brandy, orange peel, luxardo cherry and a spoonful of syrup, bitters, and a spoonful of sugar.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wisconsin drinks more brandy than any other state.

Personally I don’t see the appeal.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

At least she doesn't go all out with the squirt or 7up.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How about a Beam and ginger?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Anything & ginger.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:02 am Anything & ginger.
Are we still talking about alcohol? ;)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Got bottles of Weller’s, Eagle Rare, & Woodford Double Oaked.

Trying not to drink them all in a week.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:02 am Anything & ginger.
I don't get it about ginger ale as a mixer.

I will only drink Vernor's, being born in Detroit, I was weaned on the stuff. Schweppes tastes awful and Canada Dry literally turned my stomach when they were giving it away on Campus back in the day..

Bartenders tell me they won't use Vernor's because it had "too much flavor" - at least four bartenders on different coasts have said that.

What I want to know is, if you don't want Ginger flavor in your drink why do you use a non-ginger flavored mixer that tastes like crap or makes people sick and call it ginger?
Last edited by RichardCranium on Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:54 am I used to be a big bourbon drinker, but haven't had any in many years, pretty much all red wine now. Can't even stomach it now.

Did like Wild Turkey, and like the others, Makers Mark not so much.

But Costco has top shelf liquors, and would definitely try these if I still drank hard liquors.

I’ve been told that Price Club Kirkland Bourbon is Buffalo Trace. Some science outfit found it was molecularly the same.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:28 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:56 pm I drink way too much Evan Williams. I buy the real big bottles.

Great insight. I'll try some of those.

I've heard good things about the Rye. For me, Bulliet bourbon is ok but not special.

I want to try that Angel's Envy.

It's a funny thing, I like 4 Roses ok, and is probably a favorite for moderate priced stuff, (although I like Buffalo Trace at about the same price better) but I tried 4 Roses small batch and didn't like it at all.
I went to the local drug store to pick up a cheap bottle of Buffalo Trace but they were out so I got a bottle of Angel's Envy and have been trying it out over the holiday. I think for sipping, it's damn good because it is very mellow. But to mix, which is my preferred way to drink bourbon, it's just too subtle for my taste.

I'm barely scratching the surface and have many more I want to try. Anybody try the Knob Creek stuff?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve had the Kentucky Straight and the 9 Year and liked them both.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Got a bottle of Angels Envy from my brother in-law. Attached a stogie to it too. 😁
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Back to the store today to get some Buffalo Trace. They were still out. Clerk mentioned that Joe Rogan had pushed it in his cast and ever since, they'd been short on it. I responded that I should've figured that prick was fucking me in ways I hadn't realized.

So since I couldn't get BT, I bought my first bottle of Knob Creek 9 and I'm sipping it now mixed with some Mexican Coke. I think its better than Makers ( in my book almost all are) but still not as good as others I like. OK flavor and kind of smooth, but there are others I like much better.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

If your gonna mix it, just get Kickin Chickin (Wild Turkey).

Anything more is a waste of money.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I use one of them big ice balls. I learned about them on here.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wild Turkey 101 is where it’s at.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Picked up Michter’s Straight Rye and got sent a bottle of Kings County Distillery Bourbon by a vendor. Both are really tasty.

I’m fairly swimming in booze.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:16 am Picked up Michter’s Straight Rye and got sent a bottle of Kings County Distillery Bourbon by a vendor. Both are really tasty.

I’m fairly swimming in booze.
It's easiest to swallow doing the backstroke.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

There are some guys on YouTube called The Bourbon Junkies. They have many different videos with different bourbon lists (like 10 bourbons you should try, best value bourbons, etc.) There is a bourbon they really like called Old Forester and which repeatedly ends up in their lists. It's pretty cheap and readily available.

I bought a bottle of Old Forester 100 proof last night. Holy cow! It's really good! I highly recommend trying it. Definitely one of my new favorites.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I just picked up a bottle of Redwood Empire Old Monarch because the youtube guys recommended it. Not so great but just ok.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:24 pm Wild Turkey 101 is where it’s at.
Alot of people are recommending this. I've never tried the 101 but the regular WT doesn't seem all that good to me. According to some things I've seen, the 101 is better. I'll have to give it a go.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:13 am Basil Hayden’s is fantastic.
I’ve said this numerous times in this thread.

I won’t repeat myself but I just had two fingers poured for me and I’m in love all over again.

How do y’all like your Bourbon?

I know Carcass mixes his. I’m a three ice cube guy. I like how it slowly waters it down so in that fifth or sixth sip it’s going down real smooth.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm such a wimp. I bought Basil Hayden's a few months ago and couldn't even choke down a single glass. It's just so strong and any straight alcohol burns like fire. So unpleasant to me.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Been having a little lately just neat or with just ice and little water.

Trying to limit myself to just one short drink a night though. Although I'm not always making it under that limit.

So far Old Forester 100 proof is my favorite even though it's cheap. Just so good.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Well, tried 2 new ones tonight.

1792 and Elijah Craig small batch. They both smell great but the 1792 smells a little better. For me, they both taste good but the Elijah is better. Both are spicy and nutty but the 1792 has more oak taste.

I like em both and would buy either one again.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Have a good friend in the neighborhood who just quit her VP job to become a bourbon influencer. Tonight she gave me a blind taste test of three bourbons.

A) Basil Hayden Ten Year: Wasn’t a big fan. It’s 80 proof but drinks like it’s 50. Pretty watery all the way through. Not nearly enough heat or sweet for me. Just kind of disappears on the tongue.

B) Jefferson’s Ocean: Incredible. Everything I love about bourbon. Rounded taste, lots of oaky smoke and cherry vanilla goodness, with no gasoline vapors on the exhale. Almost buttery.

C) Evan Williams 1783: Just a great all-around sipping bourbon. Had to let my ice melt a little because the first sip bit me back, but it was smooth sailing from there. A perfect way to warm up a cold winters night.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hillbillies. The only justification for making bourbon is so some Scot can age real whisky in those barrels.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bourbon influencer?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion