Artemis Program

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Artemis Program

Post by ASUHATER! »

Some may know, but it definitely feels like most people don't realize there is an active program to land Americans on the moon again by 2024. Nasa has been working on the launch vehicle and capsule for 10+ years already (through various iterations) but the first integrated test of the launch vehicle, capsule, service module and ground tracking tools is being tested in the Artemis I mission launching on November 22nd. As someone who has always loved anything to do with space and who was born 14 years after the last Apollo mission, I've always dreamed of witnessing man (and the first woman) walking on another part of the solar system with my own eyes. But in November already, they are launching Artemis I, which will be a unmanned flyby/orbit mission of the moon to test out all the systems. As of now, Artemis II is scheduled for September 2023 which will be an Apollo 8 style crewed lunar flyby mission with Artemis III landing on the moon in September 2024. Artemis I plan for later this year:

i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Re: Artemis Program

Post by Chicat »

Is the end goal to put a station on the moon? Because it should be.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This is my niece's project.

https://ixpe.msfc.nasa.gov/?fbclid=IwAR ... okHHQvr0F4

They're looking to launch in October.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 pm Is the end goal to put a station on the moon? Because it should be.
The plan is to have a permanent mini space station orbiting the moon that all the incoming missions will dock with and then go to their assigned landing spots with. I don't know if there are current plans for a station on the moon, but the testing of a permanent orbiting station around the moon to receive and send out landers is a step to help plan trips to Mars. As of now starting in 2024 there will be yearly missions to the moon with 4 people each (2 staying in the orbiter and 2 landing) so there may be a semi permanent human presence at least orbiting the moon starting then.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm all in.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine mining Helium-3 would be in order as an energy and propulsion source.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Very interesting. I read everything I can get my hands on about Apollo.

Been to the Smithsonian a few times. To me, the very best thing is the moonwalk suits with moon dust still all over them.

Also, it's just astounding to me that after all the millenia that humans have looked at the moon in complete mystery as to what it really is, you can actually touch a moon rock in the museum.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion