If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by ASUHATER! »

Blech. It being so nice from late October until like 2 weeks ago was perfect. To me anymore anything over like 78 is just gross.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Boxcar on 4th Ave. is serving food now. I had a carne asada burro, which was mediocre (= amazing by non-Tucson standards), and the concept isn't creative, but it's hard to argue with sitting outside and drinking a beer.
This was prime time of year for afternoons/evenings on the patio at The Shanty when I lived in Tucson....
My favorite by far was the patio at the original Gentle Ben's. Just beautiful this time of year.

Can't even remember where it was at. Main gate is completely different and much more upscale.

Used to stay at watch Street Pajama perform inside.
The original Gentle Ben’s didn’t have a patio...

... it had an upstairs game room, and a basement bar. I helped remodel the old house into the bar, and was the original afternoon bartender in the basement bar - Fall/winter 1971.

Street Pajama was one of my favorite bands... Mike and Merle were casual friends....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

April was always my favorite month in Tucson weather wise.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Longhorned wrote:Boxcar on 4th Ave. is serving food now. I had a carne asada burro, which was mediocre (= amazing by non-Tucson standards), and the concept isn't creative, but it's hard to argue with sitting outside and drinking a beer.
Boxyard* and did you get it wrapped in bacon? Its incredible. I haven't tried the BBQ spot yet

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
This was prime time of year for afternoons/evenings on the patio at The Shanty when I lived in Tucson....
My favorite by far was the patio at the original Gentle Ben's. Just beautiful this time of year.

Can't even remember where it was at. Main gate is completely different and much more upscale.

Gentle Ben's was on the street that was one block west of Park (don't remember the name, Google Maps now calls it "Unnamed Road", where the hotel is now) just a block or so north of University. Right across the street from Mama's Pizza that was between Park and that other street.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Tyndall Ave

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote: The original Gentle Ben’s didn’t have a patio...

... it had an upstairs game room, and a basement bar. I helped remodel the old house into the bar, and was the original afternoon bartender in the basement bar - Fall/winter 1971.

Street Pajama was one of my favorite bands... Mike and Merle were casual friends....
That must have been pretty cool.

Used to smoke weed out in the parking lot with the Street Pajama bass player then sound guy. Always hoped Merle would come out but never did. Think she still performs in Tucson but don't recall the details.

UAEebs86 wrote: Gentle Ben's was on the street that was one block west of Park (don't remember the name, Google Maps now calls it "Unnamed Road", where the hotel is now) just a block or so north of University. Right across the street from Mama's Pizza that was between Park and that other street.

I imagine we saw each other there. Nice short walk from the UA on a Friday afternoon when the entire campus was skipping class.

EDIT: Mike and Merle https://www.facebook.com/pg/Street-Paja ... 458/about/" target="_blank
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote:
pc in NM wrote: The original Gentle Ben’s didn’t have a patio...

That must have been pretty cool.

Used to smoke weed out in the parking lot with the Street Pajama bass player then sound guy. Always hoped Merle would come out but never did. Think she still performs in Tucson but don't recall the details.

UAEebs86 wrote: Gentle Ben's was on the street that was one block west of Park (don't remember the name, Google Maps now calls it "Unnamed Road", where the hotel is now) just a block or so north of University. Right across the street from Mama's Pizza that was between Park and that other street.

I imagine we saw each other there. Nice short walk from the UA on a Friday afternoon when the entire campus was skipping class.
Friends from my hometown were looking to launder some $$$, and we're planning to put a clothing botique in that property. They were approached by a local ("Gentle Ben" - a fat guy with a beard) who had a liquour licence (and a legal opinion that the de facto 6-block limit from the U of A was unenforceable - The Green Dolfin was closest bar to campus). They combined forces, and the bar was born. That guy screwed them, and they all were out of the business within two years. But, those two years were a hell of a ride!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

I hear ya Merk...that GB courtyard outside was a perfect place to grab a beer and hang out after/instead of class.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:
Boxyard* and did you get it wrapped in bacon? Its incredible. I haven't tried the BBQ spot yet

I didn't get the bacon-wrapped. I should have, especially because I was with my vegetarian sister-in-law, who's always sure to remind me of her principles, which I find unfair to the bugs who have to die for her vegetable-heavy diet. And not to mention all the pigs and cows who die for all the meat she eats in secret so she can flout her higher values while in public.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

I hear ya Merk...that GB courtyard outside was a perfect place to grab a beer and hang out after/instead of class.
Merk,

Gentle Ben's was on Tyndall between 2nd and University. There's a Marriot hotel there now. I tended bar there for a couple of years during college and saw many a Street Pajama and Neon Prophet set. We probably crossed paths or maybe I served you a pitcher . . .
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tried El Minuto Cafe. That’s a damn good Sonoran restaurant.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Longhorned wrote:Tried El Minuto Cafe. That’s a damn good Sonoran restaurant.
Ya its very good. They lost their liquor license last time I was there about 2 years ago so no margaritas was a huge let down. Im sure they have it back now
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Tried El Minuto Cafe. That’s a damn good Sonoran restaurant.
Ya its very good. They lost their liquor license last time I was there about 2 years ago so no margaritas was a huge let down. Im sure they have it back now
That's horrible. But yeah, they're fine now. It's family run for almost 90 years. The older woman at the front where you in walk started to complain to me about getting forced out of her house, which was just down the street from the restaurant. Her emotions were pretty raw, so I said I'm sorry. As the conversation went on, I realized the event she was complaining about took place in 1966.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

haha! The Cushing Street Bar & Restaurant just a block east is going thru a huge remodel. They have been closed for more than a year
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Maynard’s Kitchen. No place I’d rather be. Just the look and feel of the place. Everybody is older, but that’s because it’s just of a different era. Talking about sweetbreads- amazing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:Original Cuisine at Ft. Lowell and Campbell... Best Chinese in town.
Sooooo good.

We’re the only bad signs in this place. *wink*
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:Original Cuisine at Ft. Lowell and Campbell... Best Chinese in town.
Sooooo good.

Place is amazing. I need to go back soon.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Sooooo good.

Place is amazing. I need to go back soon.
My only criticism is that the tables at the booths are too small, so that the seats are locked in a position too far from the table. My only solution to this problem is to get really fat eating there more often, so as to fill the space between the seat and the table.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tito and Pep

I love Tucson.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Tried Fiamme Pizza for the first time last night. I liked it a lot. Up there with Scordato's from that one time, and Scordato's is my favorite in town.

World champion!

https://kvoa.com/news/local-news/2019/0 ... Cyyd94ZG_U" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The beans at St. Mary's are insane. All their food is awesome but I have trouble getting to it because all I want to eat is their insane beans. Their bean and cheese burro is perfect.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:The beans at St. Mary's are insane. All their food is awesome but I have trouble getting to it because all I want to eat is their insane beans. Their bean and cheese burro is perfect.
I need to fucking load up on Mexican food before I go to the Midwest. Idk how I've lived in Tucson for 15 years and never been to St. Mary's.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Found my new favorite enchilada at Leos on Speedway. The best carne seca I've ever had

Finally went to Trattoria Pina and had the lasagna. Absolutely delicious.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Leo’s? I’m on it.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Classy joint. Next to the titty club. :)
I do love me some enchiladas and carner seca. Will check it out.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

UAdevil wrote:Classy joint. Next to the titty club. :)
I do love me some enchiladas and carner seca. Will check it out.
Sold! Nothing like some carne seca to go with the hint of cheap perfume.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've never heard of Leo's and it's about a mile from my house.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I've never heard of Leo's and it's about a mile from my house.
Yeah but it's the best 23 miles of Mexican food, so you get lost anyway.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Alieberman wrote:I've never heard of Leo's and it's about a mile from my house.
I hadn't either until last year and its been open for nearly 30 years. The owner always comes out to talk. Said the Casa Molina at Wilmot just celebrated their 72nd year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Best burger I've had in Tucson is the Welcome Burger at Welcome Diner. It's the closest I've found to a Fatburger.

Had a decent vegetarian burger at Beaut Burger. Not an Impossible Burger, just the old fashioned vegetarian burger but perfected, and with all the trimmings on a great homemade bun. Normally I hate those kinds of patties but this one is good. Still, as with all veggie burgers, it starts to wear on me before the burger is done with.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:Best burger I've had in Tucson is the Welcome Burger at Welcome Diner. It's the closest I've found to a Fatburger.

Had a decent vegetarian burger at Beaut Burger. Not an Impossible Burger, just the old fashioned vegetarian burger but perfected, and with all the trimmings on a great homemade bun. Normally I hate those kinds of patties but this one is good. Still, as with all veggie burgers, it starts to wear on me before the burger is done with.
Yeah veggie burgers can be really good, but every time when you're nearing the last few bites you think "I kinda wish this was a real burger with some real cheese and bacon on it..."

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Went to Charro Del Rey Fri night and I can't stop talking about it. Best shrimp I've had in Tucson.
Last edited by Jefe on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:Went to Charro Del Rey Fri night and I can't talking about it. Best shrimp I've had in Tucson.
I'm ashamed how much I like it. The seafood tower is amazeballs, especially on a warm evening when there's nothing more refreshing than cold lobster, crab, shrimp, and oysters.

And I love their lobster, crab, and shrimp enchiladas, but they run out early.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If you get to Phoenix there is a little place on 16th st just north of Broadway called Cocina Madrigal. By far the best Mexican food I've ever had.

http://www.cocinamadrigal.com/" target="_blank
sf25

Post by sf25 »

azgreg wrote:If you get to Phoenix there is a little place on 16th st just north of Broadway called Cocina Madrigal. By far the best Mexican food I've ever had.

This place is great. Definitely worth a visit.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Wife and I went to Charro del Rey for our anniversary 2 weeks ago. Granted it was happy hour but...

Prime rib dinner
2 drinks each
Shrimp cocktail
4 oysters
Seafood enchiladas

=$105 including tax and tip

And it was completely delicious.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Wife and I went to Charro del Rey for our anniversary 2 weeks ago. Granted it was happy hour but...

Prime rib dinner
2 drinks each
Shrimp cocktail
4 oysters
Seafood enchiladas

I'm already at that price with just the appetizer.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:If you get to Phoenix there is a little place on 16th st just north of Broadway called Cocina Madrigal. By far the best Mexican food I've ever had.

The food looks beautiful in those photos. Wow.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Wife and I went to Charro del Rey for our anniversary 2 weeks ago. Granted it was happy hour but...

Prime rib dinner
2 drinks each
Shrimp cocktail
4 oysters
Seafood enchiladas

The red chile sauce on the seafood enchiladas...man...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Prime rib dinner
2 drinks each
Shrimp cocktail
4 oysters
Seafood enchiladas

The red chile sauce on the seafood enchiladas...man...
The Valle Luna restaurant on N Cave Creek is a mediocre Mexican restaurant at best But they used to have an excellent sea food enchilada. It's the only thing I would order there.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Y'all are makin' me hungry. But in every restaurant you really should confirm that the shrimp are wild and not from China, Vietnam or Asia in general. The lack of concern for human rights back there is reflected in the conditions and standards they use to farm seafood. Same for Tilapia.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Y'all are makin' me hungry. But in every restaurant you really should confirm that the shrimp are wild and not from China, Vietnam or Asia in general. The lack of concern for human rights back there is reflected in the conditions and standards they use to farm seafood. Same for Tilapia.
Yeah pretty much any shrimp from Asia is slave shrimp. I think Charro del Rey is all Gulf of California shrimp.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Y'all are makin' me hungry. But in every restaurant you really should confirm that the shrimp are wild and not from China, Vietnam or Asia in general. The lack of concern for human rights back there is reflected in the conditions and standards they use to farm seafood. Same for Tilapia.
Absolutely, I've stopped buying shrimp from Thailand or Indonesia altogether. Prefer gulf shrimp.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Gulf shrimp rock. It's funny though even in San Antonio gulf shrimp aren't ubiquitous. Those gelatinous Asian gobs, raised in their own shit, are so much cheaper, they're everywhere. I eat the gulf shrimp nearly raw. A 1 hour ceviche is plenty for me. Headed back in August. Mmmm. Thanks for the thought guys.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Gulf shrimp rock. It's funny though even in San Antonio gulf shrimp aren't ubiquitous. Those gelatinous Asian gobs, raised in their own shit, are so much cheaper, they're everywhere. I eat the gulf shrimp nearly raw. A 1 hour ceviche is plenty for me. Headed back in August. Mmmm. Thanks for the thought guys.
Waitress: Is this your first time at Charro del Rey?

Dovecanyoncat: Yeah, a few guys on the BDW board recommended it, so I'm here on a hot August day!

Waitress: I know, right? What can I get you?

Dovecanyoncat: Well, the guys said they verified your shrimp are certified wild gulf shrimp from off the Sonoran coast, so I'll...

Waitress: They told you what?

Dovecanyoncat: They -

Waitress: No! Those assholes didn't ask us anything. They said, "Shrimp is shrimp, bitch", and stuffed their faces and asked for more like they've never been outside a Red Lobster, tipped me 10% and burped on the way out of the door.

Dovecanyoncat: You ever been inside a forest ranger station before?

Waitress: What?

Dovecanyoncat: Ever ridden bareback in just a pair of shorts?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I surrender.

~ Wilhoit's Law
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

I will never eat tilapia again. Saw them being delivered to a supermarket one day and asked about how they were raised and delivered. NOT GOOD.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

baycat93 wrote:
I will never eat tilapia again. Saw them being delivered to a supermarket one day and asked about how they were raised and delivered. NOT GOOD.
It's a bad fish anyway. Mushy texture, and often with an off taste.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:I surrender.
On second thought, most waitresses know that farmed Tilapia is used as chainsaw bar oil in some Canadian provinces, but only in French and using the metric system. Industrial farmed shrimp distillates, used by millwrights to degrease compressors and to waterproof boot leather, is another kettle of fish known only to Michelin starred establishments.

~ Wilhoit's Law