If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I went to Charrovida on Sunday and enjoyed it. It wasn't the nest I've ever had, but solid and enjoyable for a newer restaurant.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:Best burger I've had in Tucson is the Welcome Burger at Welcome Diner. It's the closest I've found to a Fatburger.

Had a decent vegetarian burger at Beaut Burger. Not an Impossible Burger, just the old fashioned vegetarian burger but perfected, and with all the trimmings on a great homemade bun. Normally I hate those kinds of patties but this one is good. Still, as with all veggie burgers, it starts to wear on me before the burger is done with.
Went to Welcome just now and had a No Way Jose Burger. Then cruised over to Roma Imports and also ignored board wisdom and picked up some frozen Thai Curry and Moroccan Beef Tagine. This inability to follow basic instructions should tell you all you need to know about my life. Hopefully these left field choices are tasty, too. Oh, and some mini cannoli. Even I couldn’t screw up that opportunity.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’m at Chef Wang right now and it’s one of the great Chinese restaurants of my life and I’m not even kidding.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:I’m at Chef Wang right now and it’s one of the great Chinese restaurants of my life and I’m not even kidding.
Is that the new place on Grant?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I’m at Chef Wang right now and it’s one of the great Chinese restaurants of my life and I’m not even kidding.
Is that the new place on Grant?
Yeah, it’s serious, too. Northern Chinese. Stuff I’ve never heard of. Beautiful in execution and appearance. So good.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Best burger I've had in Tucson is the Welcome Burger at Welcome Diner. It's the closest I've found to a Fatburger.

Had a decent vegetarian burger at Beaut Burger. Not an Impossible Burger, just the old fashioned vegetarian burger but perfected, and with all the trimmings on a great homemade bun. Normally I hate those kinds of patties but this one is good. Still, as with all veggie burgers, it starts to wear on me before the burger is done with.
Went to Welcome just now and had a No Way Jose Burger. Then cruised over to Roma Imports and also ignored board wisdom and picked up some frozen Thai Curry and Moroccan Beef Tagine. This inability to follow basic instructions should tell you all you need to know about my life. Hopefully these left field choices are tasty, too. Oh, and some mini cannoli. Even I couldn’t screw up that opportunity.
I’ll try the No Way. I was thinking it’s too hot to turn on my oven, so looking forward to Roma in November.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Was getting a haircut on 4th Ave and noticed a Tumerico sign at the corner of 4th/4th. Thought they were moving but they're opening a 2nd location 2 miles away from Tucson blvd. Still haven't been

https://tucsonfoodie.com/2019/05/21/tum ... -location/" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

JPS Seafood. Simple, small, everything you want from seafood (Mexican style). If anyone hasn't ventured there yet and you live in Tucson, shame on you (awful that it took me so long).
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Anyone been to 4th Ave Deli?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

scumdevils86 wrote:Anyone been to 4th Ave Deli?
It's owned by a guy I went to high school with. I've always enjoyed the food.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Anyone been to 4th Ave Deli?
It's owned by a guy I went to high school with. I've always enjoyed the food.
Good to know. I've been curious.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Seis Kitchen on River added 3 hot sauces on tables, 2 of which I really, really liked.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Seis Kitchen on River added 3 hot sauces on tables, 2 of which I really, really liked.
You're still not experiencing things like them not making the food you ordered, or serving your food inexplicably dissolving in a plate of water?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Seis Kitchen on River added 3 hot sauces on tables, 2 of which I really, really liked.
You're still not experiencing things like them not making the food you ordered, or serving your food inexplicably dissolving in a plate of water?
No, I've seen you complain about that, but have not experienced that there. Some of the tacos get more watery, especially with added salsa, but that's sort of par for the course with tacos, especially with corn tortillas.

One reason I liked the hot sauces is that I used them instead of salsa on my tacos. It had less overflow, although they were pretty jammed with steak and guac.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Speaking of which, the more I've lived and eaten I've decided that corn tortillas are the worst. They're only good for making into tortilla chips. For tacos and burritos they suck.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Speaking of which, the more I've lived and eaten I've decided that corn tortillas are the worst. They're only good for making into tortilla chips. For tacos and burritos they suck.
I know it's heretical, but I prefer flour tortillas. Flour tortillas have so much more structural integrity and the taste difference is negligible.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ASUHATER! wrote:Speaking of which, the more I've lived and eaten I've decided that corn tortillas are the worst. They're only good for making into tortilla chips. For tacos and burritos they suck.
TJ style, two corn tortillas. Only way to eat tacos, IMO. The bigger the taco on corn, the worse it is, so I do agree there.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I know it's heretical, but I prefer flour tortillas. Flour tortillas have so much more structural integrity and the taste difference is negligible.
There's nothing more legit than flour tortillas in Tucson, or anywhere in the Sonoran desert. Or those fluffy flour tortillas in New Mexico.

The only time flour tortillas are heretical is everywhere else.

But for tacos specifically, they've got to be corn tortillas hot off the griddle from fresh masa.

And as a native Arizonan, I'll add that I love a crisply fried taco, too. Can't take that away from me.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
There's nothing more legit than flour tortillas in Tucson, or anywhere in the Sonoran desert. Or those fluffy flour tortillas in New Mexico.

But for tacos specifically, they've got to be corn tortillas hot off the griddle from fresh masa.

And as a native Arizonan, I'll add that I love a crisply fried taco, too. Can't take that away from me.
Crispy fried flour tortilla tacos are the only truly real tacos to me.

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Flour tacos are gringo tacos. Praising them as superior is white supremacy....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pc in NM wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Tell that to all the Mexican people in Tucson and Sonora. Corn tortillas are for tostitos chips and Rubio's fast food tacos. Flour tortillas are the only real ones.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

And one point of origin was the flour that very non-white, pre-conquest natives of the Sonoran desert ground from mesquite beans.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:And one point of origin was the flour that very non-white, pre-conquest natives of the Sonoran desert ground from mesquite beans.
^This. And I hear tell of their very low glycemic load. As to today's flour tortilla, beyond their functional superiority I have no use for them.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:And one point of origin was the flour that very non-white, pre-conquest natives of the Sonoran desert ground from mesquite beans.
^This. And I hear tell of their very low glycemic load. As to today's flour tortilla, beyond their functional superiority I have no use for them.
They are functionally and taste wise far superior though...

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

pc in NM wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Fresh hot flour tortillas from Frontier Restaurant in Abq were often the only thing keeping me alive during grad school. And yes, I’m unabashedly gringo. 8-)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

And I am a real suburbanite.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
pc in NM wrote: Flour tacos are gringo tacos. Praising them as superior is white supremacy....
Fresh hot flour tortillas from Frontier Restaurant in Abq were often the only thing keeping me alive during grad school. And yes, I’m unabashedly gringo. 8-)
I'm a big fan of flour tortillas (especially those in Tucson, even more than NM-style); and burros, burritos, chimichangas, etc. are regulars on my favorites menu. Also a side of steamed flour tortillas is a true enhancement for sopping up sauces, beans, etc. But, IMNSHO, tacos are meant to be on soft corn tortillas hot off the griddle, and, BTW, not too full of ingredients (another fat gringo debasement)....

When I lived in Silver City, NM, I learned the term "Gringo Green", which was a derisive putdown for any green chile stew or sauce made with the crap out of a can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think we need to end the tortilla debate.

These are the kind of arguments that can tear a community apart.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:I think we need to end the tortilla debate.

There are good tortillas on both sides.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
pc in NM wrote: Flour tacos are gringo tacos. Praising them as superior is white supremacy....
I'm a big fan of flour tortillas (especially those in Tucson, even more than NM-style); and burros, burritos, chimichangas, etc. are regulars on my favorites menu. Also a side of steamed flour tortillas is a true enhancement for sopping up sauces, beans, etc. But, IMNSHO, tacos are meant to be on soft corn tortillas hot off the griddle, and, BTW, not too full of ingredients (another fat gringo debasement)....

When I lived in Silver City, NM, I learned the term "Gringo Green", which was a derisive putdown for any green chile stew or sauce made with the crap out of a can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup....
If you're going to bring New Mexico into this, which coming from you is a surprise big enough to hurl my body into a dry river, I have something else I need to say:

New Mexico green chile is delicious, but it's only one kind of delicious green chile among others. There's nothing wrong with a green chile made with tomatillos. It's a brighter and smoother sauce, made by people who actually know what they're doing. They aren't idiots trying to get away with never having been to northern New Mexico, and ruining the lives children of their neighborhoods by doing it differently. Some people prefer a green sauce made in Tucson, or in Mexico City, and it's okay.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

If you're going to bring New Mexico into this, which coming from you is a surprise big enough to hurl my body into a dry river, I have something else I need to say:

New Mexico green chile is delicious, but it's only one kind of delicious green chile among others. There's nothing wrong with a green chile made with tomatillos. It's a brighter and smoother sauce, made by people who actually know what they're doing. They aren't idiots trying to get away with never having been to northern New Mexico, and ruining the lives children of their neighborhoods by doing it differently. Some people prefer a green sauce made in Tucson, or in Mexico City, and it's okay.
Not sure what you're responding to - I never said anything for or against using tomatillos (in fact, I love green chile using tomatillos!!), nor did I compare green chile from NM to anywhere else....

I will mention, though, That when I moved to Silver City in 1986, most Mexican restaurants across the state were serving "New Mexican Style" green chile dishes, and few, if any in Tucson even had green chile on the menu. The sole exception were green chile tamales at Christmas-time. Just a fact.

I've always liked the different regional styles of "Mexican Food" (much of it actually Native American in origin), and Tucson's "Sonoron-style" was my favorite before I explored New Mexico after moving here. My first addiction to "Mexican Food" was a Chihuahuan-style made by a local chef in my hometown in Ohio (used a beef-based brown gravy on enchiladas - yummy)!!! I liked Tex-Mex-style, early on, also....

Since then green chiles have become almost synonymous with "Mexican Cuisine", and many, many chefs around the country have used them in novel, exciting and delicious ways....

― Kinky Friedman
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The absence of Mexican food will leave the biggest gaping hole in my heart when I'm in Wisconsin.

So... breaking news. We're staying in Tucson. My love of Sonoran Mexican food is intact. I will eat too much now in celebration.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:The absence of Mexican food will leave the biggest gaping hole in my heart when I'm in Wisconsin.
Good luck asking for hot sauce or salsa when dining out.

Hope you like ketchup and mayo on everything
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:The absence of Mexican food will leave the biggest gaping hole in my heart when I'm in Wisconsin.
Good luck asking for hot sauce or salsa when dining out.

Hope you like ketchup and mayo on everything
I'll start carrying it with me and have it shipped from AZ. 100%
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I just checked and there are plenty of Taco Be;;s in Wisconsin.

https://locations.tacobell.com/wi.html" target="_blank

You're welcome.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:
I just checked and there are plenty of Taco Be;;s in Wisconsin.

https://locations.tacobell.com/wi.html" target="_blank

You're welcome.
Taco John's is almost more popular.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Not sure what you're responding to - I never said anything for or against using tomatillos (in fact, I love green chile using tomatillos!!), nor did I compare green chile from NM to anywhere else....

I will mention, though, That when I moved to Silver City in 1986, most Mexican restaurants across the state were serving "New Mexican Style" green chile dishes, and few, if any in Tucson even had green chile on the menu. The sole exception were green chile tamales at Christmas-time. Just a fact.

I've always liked the different regional styles of "Mexican Food" (much of it actually Native American in origin), and Tucson's "Sonoron-style" was my favorite before I explored New Mexico after moving here. My first addiction to "Mexican Food" was a Chihuahuan-style made by a local chef in my hometown in Ohio (used a beef-based brown gravy on enchiladas - yummy)!!! I liked Tex-Mex-style, early on, also....

Since then green chiles have become almost synonymous with "Mexican Cuisine", and many, many chefs around the country have used them in novel, exciting and delicious ways....
I'm responding to New Mexicans generally, and specifically those in my family. But that's interesting that you haven't run into that New Mexican snobbery about "other people's green chile."

As you know, green chile in Sonoran food usually refers to a kind of beef pot roast with green chile. Or you find, "enchilada style - green" with the green chile sauce poured over whatever, which is common all over Mexico.

But red chile is the real Sonoran thing, in spite of the introduction of refrigeration that keeps chilies green all year long.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I think we need to end the tortilla debate.

There are good tortillas on both sides.
Yellow and white lives matter.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote: I'm a big fan of flour tortillas (especially those in Tucson, even more than NM-style); and burros, burritos, chimichangas, etc. are regulars on my favorites menu. Also a side of steamed flour tortillas is a true enhancement for sopping up sauces, beans, etc. But, IMNSHO, tacos are meant to be on soft corn tortillas hot off the griddle, and, BTW, not too full of ingredients (another fat gringo debasement)....

I'm responding to New Mexicans generally, and specifically those in my family. But that's interesting that you haven't run into that New Mexican snobbery about "other people's green chile."

As you know, green chile in Sonoran food usually refers to a kind of beef pot roast with green chile. Or you find, "enchilada style - green" with the green chile sauce poured over whatever, which is common all over Mexico.

But red chile is the real Sonoran thing, in spite of the introduction of refrigeration that keeps chilies green all year long.
I have no issues with the use of green chiles in novel recipes - I'm glad to explore, and, when deserved, dish out the compliments.

Many New Mexicans do have a gripe with Coloradoans who try to claim the be the "green chile capitol", but most of us don't engage much more than to mock them... Anaheim Green Chiles get some support as best quality, but, except for chile rellenos they're not up to the standards of many NM varieties.

Hatch Green Chile has had competition issues, and some of their farmers sold imported Mexican green chiles repackaged in Hatch-labeled burlap when everyone on earth claimed to be selling "Hatch Green Chile" - the givaway was the inconsistency in the heat of those mislabeled chile's. Probably 20x the amount actually grown in the hatch Valley was sold under that name for several years.... A new trademark now protects chiles really grown in Hatch Valley in New Mexico.

For years, Green Chiles ("Big Jim" variety) from the Pecos River valley near Roswell were as consistently good as Hatch's, but drought and changing markets have diverted the largest farmers to other crops. Back in the 80's, most chiles grown in the Pecos River valley were shipped to Louisiana, and constituted a significant proportion of the ingredients in Tobasco Sauce.

For years, until the early 2000's, every August/September I would ship bushels of fresh green chiles to friends around the country, until quality fresh chile (initially sold as "Hatch") became available in their locales....

― Kinky Friedman
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Haven't contributed yet to this thread, nor am I making a case for Tucson's best, but whenever I'm in Tucson my two restaurant stops are always Oregano's and Sushi Garden. Usually the Oregano's on Orange Grove and usually the Sushi Garden at Foothills Mall.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Went to La Botana at Grant/Craycroft for the first time and was pretty impressed for what I thought would be a glorified La Salsa. 9 meat options and you can order them with corn/flour tortillas, gringas style which is a flour quesadilla with onions/cheese or tostada style with beans, queso and pico. The chicharrones was delicious. Carnitas and barbacoa were alright. Gonna try fish, shrimp and carne next time. Grilled burritos, salads, apps and desserts as well as a full page michelada menu

They have lunch specials, happy hour, brunch and they have 2 for 1 Grande Margaritas all day every day. Looked like a 24oz Marg if not larger.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I went to Caruso’s last night just to laugh at it and relive my college days. I wasn’t prepared for how popular it still is. Waited 45 minutes for a table.

Boy was I wrong about Caruso’s. You could plop it down anywhere in New Jersey and it would absolutely hold its own against any red sauce joint. It was amazing. I had the lasagna, chicken parm, and then spumoni and some of my daughter’s cannoli.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Longhorned wrote:I went to Caruso’s last night just to laugh at it and relive my college days. I wasn’t prepared for how popular it still is. Waited 45 minutes for a table.

Boy was I wrong about Caruso’s. You could plop it down anywhere in New Jersey and it would absolutely hold its own against any red sauce joint. It was amazing. I had the lasagna, chicken parm, and then spumoni and some of my daughter’s cannoli.
This is so good to hear. Caruso's was a staple of my childhood.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Caruso's is not a restaurant. It's a secret satellite branch facility of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. It prints currency six days a week.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

By the way, If Sal Zagona is still alive, he's over 100.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I've always heard the worst things about Caruso's. Like it's the restaurant you bring your out of town grandparents to that are too scared to try actual good food but they want to do something different than Applebee's.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I've always heard the worst things about Caruso's. Like it's the restaurant you bring your out of town grandparents to that are too scared to try actual good food but they want to do something different than Applebee's.
I know what you mean. It was never a favorite place for me to eat. But I adore my Aunt and her 30 some-odd year tenure there. Sal is a dear family friend, an intelligent and ultra-liberal ex UofA professor, who is a great chef outside the restaurant.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:I've always heard the worst things about Caruso's. Like it's the restaurant you bring your out of town grandparents to that are too scared to try actual good food but they want to do something different than Applebee's.
I thought it wasn't going to be good. My guess is that people look down on a restaurant that serves pre-1980s Italian American food on red-checkered tablecloths.

But it's really, really good, and the experience is top-notch. It's like time travel to the early 1960s in the best of ways. In the sense that in the 1960s, it would have already been "an old joint." There's a reason why the place is so beloved that you have to wait 45 minutes for a table.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Also, they have the best salad dressing in town. I wouldn't go to Caruso's for authentic Italian food, but it's really good for what it is.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:Also, they have the best salad dressing in town. I wouldn't go to Caruso's for authentic Italian food, but it's really good for what it is.
It is authentic Italian American food. The people of any region of Italy would wonder about that salad dressing, what's with all the red sauce covering the food, and why the fuck is there garlic on the bread?