If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Porchetta is the godhead of divinity itself.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Finally got to Rollies Outdoor Patio for lunch. Dad and I split the 5 Beef Rollies with Rojo/Queso sauce and Sonoran Chicken Flat Rojo Enchiladas and they were incredible. They have a little cooler filled with homemade salsa that was delicious too. If you're ever at 12th/Irvington you gotta go. This is our 3rd Mexican lunch of the week. 2 to go!

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:Finally got to Rollies Outdoor Patio for lunch. Dad and I split the 5 Beef Rollies with Rojo/Queso sauce and Sonoran Chicken Flat Rojo Enchiladas and they were incredible. They have a little cooler filled with homemade salsa that was delicious too. If you're ever at 12th/Irvington you gotta go. This is our 3rd Mexican lunch of the week. 2 to go!

They look amazeballs. Does the disposable plate hold up to the plastic knife as you cut into them?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Longhorned wrote:They look amazeballs. Does the disposable plate hold up to the plastic knife as you cut into them?
haha they never do! Luckily everything was really soft. The flat enchiladas are served on a thick corn masa base
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Rollie's is really solid. I've always been a West Side guy, but now that I live and work on the South Side, I've really come to appreciate 12th Ave.

I'm going to Chef Alisah's tomorrow with some friends. I can't wait. It's my absolute favorite restaurant, and it's been way too long.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I tried that new Istanbul restaurant on Speedway and Country Club, along the block I usually refer to as Disappointment Row. The food was okay and the prices were good. Sort of Greek-Americanified Turkish food. But visually, it's as depressingly garish on the inside as it is on the outside.

On a separate note, the food at the cafe inside the Jewish Community Center is fantastic.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Longhorned wrote:I tried that new Istanbul restaurant on Speedway and Country Club, along the block I usually refer to as Disappointment Row.
This observation puts a Disappointment Row drive-by at the top of my itinerary next time I'm home . . . :lol:
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Anello Pizzeria or Fiamme Pizza?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Haven't been to either and both are on my list. You here for the RB game? I somehow got row 1A behind the basket
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Jefe wrote:Haven't been to either and both are on my list. You here for the RB game? I somehow got row 1A behind the basket
well report back when you visit either...and no i am not and good job on the seats!

Go Cats!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I am going to try Anello for dinner - I'll report back.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Went to Anello for dinner. Thought it was OK but nothing to write home about. A little pricey, individual pizzas run 14 to 19 bucks.

We ordered two Margharita pizzas, one with prosciutto.
Pizzas come out super fast from the brick oven.

Had a Italian liqueur called Sfumato Rabarbaro. Interesting.

No sign on the building so you might miss it. On 6th and 6th (the nexus of the universe?)
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Finally tried El Merendero tonight. Such good comfort food. The gravy was amazing. Also, I'd say they make the best cheese crisp I've ever tried.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:Went to Anello for dinner. Thought it was OK but nothing to write home about. A little pricey, individual pizzas run 14 to 19 bucks.

We ordered two Margharita pizzas, one with prosciutto.
Pizzas come out super fast from the brick oven.

Had a Italian liqueur called Sfumato Rabarbaro. Interesting.

No sign on the building so you might miss it. On 6th and 6th (the nexus of the universe?)
I want to try their olive oil cake.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:Anello Pizzeria or Fiamme Pizza?
Fiamme is great pizza.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Fiamme is great pizza.

That's the next place I'm going to try.

Saw Rocco's is moving into a bigger place which will be nice.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Fiamme is great pizza.

That's the next place I'm going to try.

Saw Rocco's is moving into a bigger place which will be nice.
I've lived in Tucson for 15 years and I've never been to Rocco's...is it because Chicago pizza isn't actually pizza?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote:...is it because Chicago pizza isn't actually pizza?
That's my general attitude, but we hashed it out here, sort of, a while back and there's sufficient support for certain examples of it that I probably should give it a try in the future. Probably.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
That's my general attitude, but we hashed it out here, sort of, a while back and there's sufficient support for certain examples of it that I probably should give it a try in the future. Probably.

There are thick and thin Chicago-style pizzas. Rocco's, Rosati's, and Giordano's have both.
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

There' are thick and a thin Chicago style pizzas. Rocco's, Rosati's, and Giordano's have both.
If I possessed better than a Boomer's memory I would have retained that because I think it came up in the discussion. But isn't it still sorta doughy and heavy and in excess of mass, like augmented breasts, and likely to induce food coma given that you stop putting pizza in your pie-hole not by choice but because it's all gone?

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Chicago deep dish is really just pizza casserole.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAdevil wrote:Chicago deep dish is really just pizza casserole.
We think alike, that's what I've always called it. It still tastes good and there's nothing inherently wrong with it, just don't call it pizza since it's not pizza.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The best delivery and take out pizza in Tucson is a caramelized Detroit style pizza that’s a complete secret because the regional chain that makes it doesn’t even want you know about it. I won’t say either because nobody believes me when I tell them.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:The best delivery and take out pizza in Tucson is a caramelized Detroit style pizza that’s a complete secret because the regional chain that makes it doesn’t even want you know about it. I won’t say either because nobody believes me when I tell them.
Isn't Little Caesar's Pizza from Detroit?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Longhorned wrote:The best delivery and take out pizza in Tucson is a caramelized Detroit style pizza that’s a complete secret because the regional chain that makes it doesn’t even want you know about it. I won’t say either because nobody believes me when I tell them.
Spoilsport.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:
I may misremember, but I think Little Caesar's was actually good in the 1980s.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
I may misremember, but I think Little Caesar's was actually good in the 1980s.
Never patronized them....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

There' are thick and a thin Chicago style pizzas. Rocco's, Rosati's, and Giordano's have both.
If I possessed better than a Boomer's memory I would have retained that because I think it came up in the discussion. But isn't it still sorta doughy and heavy and in excess of mass, like augmented breasts, and likely to induce food coma given that you stop putting pizza in your pie-hole not by choice but because it's all gone?

-JB
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson NOT to go to . . . I would nominate Oreganos. A friend came in from San Diego over the weekend for the football game. He picked. Rubbery undercooked chicken and al dente pasta (in a bad way). Yuck.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson NOT to go to . . . I would nominate Oreganos. A friend came in from San Diego over the weekend for the football game. He picked. Rubbery undercooked chicken and al dente pasta (in a bad way). Yuck.
I've been to Oregano's twice and was let down both times. I know a lot of people like it, but I've been severely underwhelmed.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson NOT to go to . . . I would nominate Oreganos. A friend came in from San Diego over the weekend for the football game. He picked. Rubbery undercooked chicken and al dente pasta (in a bad way). Yuck.
If you are dumb enough to order chicken at a pizza place you kinda get what you deserve.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Alieberman wrote:
If you are dumb enough to order chicken at a pizza place you kinda get what you deserve.
Haha, fair enough. I mean it was technically pasta + chicken. But the pizza is what some of you call pizza casserole and it takes 50 minutes to prepare. I don’t plan my life ahead far enough to wait an hour to be fed at a restaurant.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Haha, fair enough. I mean it was technically pasta + chicken. But the pizza is what some of you call pizza casserole and it takes 50 minutes to prepare. I don’t plan my life ahead far enough to wait an hour to be fed at a restaurant.
They do also have thin crust for all of you anti Chicago Deep dish fools!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
They do also have thin crust for all of you anti Chicago Deep dish fools!
I'm not anti deep dish, it still is delicious...it's just not pizza.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Love thin crust pizza.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Went to Agustin Kitchen tonight. The locale was a revelation. Didn’t know Tucson had cool spaces like that. Divine place to be on a beautiful fall evening. The salad was ok, the mezze was an absolute train wreck, but I’ve become used to that since moving back to the US. But thankfully the Achiote pork was tasty as hell. Would definitely go back and try some other menu items.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Went to Agustin Kitchen tonight. The locale was a revelation. Didn’t know Tucson had cool spaces like that. Divine place to be on a beautiful fall evening. The salad was ok, the mezze was an absolute train wreck, but I’ve become used to that since moving back to the US. But thankfully the Achiote pork was tasty as hell. Would definitely go back and try some other menu items.
Tucson has tons of places like that

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Went to Agustin Kitchen tonight. The locale was a revelation. Didn’t know Tucson had cool spaces like that. Divine place to be on a beautiful fall evening. The salad was ok, the mezze was an absolute train wreck, but I’ve become used to that since moving back to the US. But thankfully the Achiote pork was tasty as hell. Would definitely go back and try some other menu items.
Coronet moved to what's supposed to be quite the space. I'm trying it on Saturday night. Loved the old location, too.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
Coronet moved to what's supposed to be quite the space. I'm trying it on Saturday night. Loved the old location, too.
Yea let us know, I was thinking about checking it out too
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Yea let us know, I was thinking about checking it out too
It was like its old self, but just being so Barrio Viejo about the whole thing. Damn good stuff.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jewel's Noodle Kitchen for handmade dumplings, noodles, and savory pies. It's pretty amazing. Something that, outside of northern China, you'd expect only to find in New York City. There's no way this place isn't about to explode, so get there soon. They don't speak a fucking word of English. And they're in a really ugly strip mall, which is always a good sign for food.

https://tucsonfoodie.com/2019/09/19/jew ... chen-open/" target="_blank
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Longhorned wrote:Jewel's Noodle Kitchen for handmade dumplings, noodles, and savory pies. It's pretty amazing. Something that, outside of northern China, you'd expect only to find in New York City. There's no way this place isn't about to explode, so get there soon. They don't speak a fucking word of English. And they're in a really ugly strip mall, which is always a good sign for food.

https://tucsonfoodie.com/2019/09/19/jew ... chen-open/" target="_blank
I just saw this. My wife and I will make a trip to that restaurant in the next three weeks.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

A Chinese student in my studio went last night:

“I just got back from the restaurant. I brought my friends from the northern part of China, since this restaurant is the northern chinese food. They (the experts) said its authentic but not as good as their families do. I dont eat this kind of food a lot so i would say its good, but i def wouldn’t eat often. i will give 7 out of 10. my friends said only 5 out 10.”

He said the dumplings were quite good.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

For Tucson that's probably pretty good
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

You’re probably right. Just makes me wonder why it’s so hard to find great Arabic or Chinese or whatever food outside of the respective countries. Even when the people making it come from those countries. Is it so hard to find the right ingredients here? Since I only know how to boil a mean pot of water, I wouldn’t know.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm sure it's the ingredients for sure. Sometimes even if everything is exactly the same it just doesn't seem right due to the atmosphere or water or general environment.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:A Chinese student in my studio went last night:

“I just got back from the restaurant. I brought my friends from the northern part of China, since this restaurant is the northern chinese food. They (the experts) said its authentic but not as good as their families do. I dont eat this kind of food a lot so i would say its good, but i def wouldn’t eat often. i will give 7 out of 10. my friends said only 5 out 10.”

This is so baffling. Why would they compare the food in a dumpling and noodle shop to home cooking? I've never been to northern China, but I guess it's possible they don't have dumpling and noodle shops there, and it really is just a New York and Hong Kong thing.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:A Chinese student in my studio went last night:

This is so baffling. Why would they compare the food in a dumpling and noodle shop to home cooking? I've never been to northern China, but I guess it's possible they don't have dumpling and noodle shops there, and it really is just a New York and Hong Kong thing.
Not sure? Maybe they don’t eat out when they are at home and it’s their only point of reference. For me, if you can’t do better than home cooking at a restaurant then there’s something wrong with the restaurant. But then I grew up with military parents and often ate what was known in military parlance as SOS (shit on a slab) as a child. I was only marginally scarred by it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

We’re at Indian Twist. I’m not disgusted or anything, but it is the worst Indian food I’ve ever had. Every single dish is equally bad.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:We’re at Indian Twist. I’m not disgusted or anything, but it is the worst Indian food I’ve ever had. Every single dish is equally bad.
.....consistency is the hobgoblin.....

~ Wilhoit's Law