If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

skol21

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by skol21 »

I'm heading back to Tucson for the first time in 10 years pretty much, before going to Scottsdale for a wedding. My fiance is coming along as well, and she hasn't really done much in Tucson other than the few times she's been there on work projects. We get in tomorrow morning, going to the game tomorrow night, and then leave sometime late morning on Friday. I was looking at some of the spots I would go to back in the day, along with some places noted in this thread; but any recommendations on bars or restaurants we have to check out while we're there? We live in Dallas if that's helpful context at all. I appreciate any thoughts!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

skol21 wrote:I'm heading back to Tucson for the first time in 10 years pretty much, before going to Scottsdale for a wedding. My fiance is coming along as well, and she hasn't really done much in Tucson other than the few times she's been there on work projects. We get in tomorrow morning, going to the game tomorrow night, and then leave sometime late morning on Friday. I was looking at some of the spots I would go to back in the day, along with some places noted in this thread; but any recommendations on bars or restaurants we have to check out while we're there? We live in Dallas if that's helpful context at all. I appreciate any thoughts!
If you like wine bars, Revel is awesome.

For brunch, a brand new place just over the past 10 days or so is Sonoran Brunch Company, which opened in the original Paco and Mom's. Really great food, but still working out some kinks. And since you've been away for awhile, a great place for food and setting is to have brunch outside at Five Points.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote:I tried that new Istanbul restaurant on Speedway and Country Club, along the block I usually refer to as Disappointment Row. The food was okay and the prices were good. Sort of Greek-Americanified Turkish food. But visually, it's as depressingly garish on the inside as it is on the outside.

On a separate note, the food at the cafe inside the Jewish Community Center is fantastic.
Do they have Doner on a vertical spit?
skol21

Post by skol21 »

Longhorned wrote:
skol21 wrote:I'm heading back to Tucson for the first time in 10 years pretty much, before going to Scottsdale for a wedding. My fiance is coming along as well, and she hasn't really done much in Tucson other than the few times she's been there on work projects. We get in tomorrow morning, going to the game tomorrow night, and then leave sometime late morning on Friday. I was looking at some of the spots I would go to back in the day, along with some places noted in this thread; but any recommendations on bars or restaurants we have to check out while we're there? We live in Dallas if that's helpful context at all. I appreciate any thoughts!
If you like wine bars, Revel is awesome.

For brunch, a brand new place just over the past 10 days or so is Sonoran Brunch Company, which opened in the original Paco and Mom's. Really great food, but still working out some kinks. And since you've been away for awhile, a great place for food and setting is to have brunch outside at Five Points.
Awesome, thanks! I appreciate it!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

If you want a casual beer and food truck experience my favorite is always Tucson Hop Shop. Nice patios to enjoy the weather and always a good tap selection with events and live music.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

wyo-cat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I tried that new Istanbul restaurant on Speedway and Country Club, along the block I usually refer to as Disappointment Row. The food was okay and the prices were good. Sort of Greek-Americanified Turkish food. But visually, it's as depressingly garish on the inside as it is on the outside.

On a separate note, the food at the cafe inside the Jewish Community Center is fantastic.
Do they have Doner on a vertical spit?
EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were asking about the JCC. Yes, the Istanbul has doner on a vertical spit.

----

JCC:

No, the shawarma is a special they have rarely, and it's the only thing on their menu that's disappointing. Otherwise, it's these Mexican ladies who have full reign to make really good kosher Mexican food. And those same ladies make great Israeli food. The pita bread is the best I've had outside the Middle East. And they make a legit Jewish mac and cheese. The food is so good, it makes it so you can fit in a meal along with working out.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’ll take a Tucson burro over a San Francisco, San Diego, or El Paso burrito any day. It isn’t about the “style” of filling it. That’s the easy part. It’s really about what you wrap it in.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Did already talk about August Rhodes? If I did I will again. If you live in Tucson and enjoy sandwiches and fresh bread.. it will be the only place you ever spend money at again. Every sandwich and soup I've had there has been a top 10 sandwich of my lifetime.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:I’ll take a Tucson burro over a San Francisco, San Diego, or El Paso burrito any day. It isn’t about the “style” of filling it. That’s the easy part. It’s really about what you wrap it in.
Yup
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I’ll take a Tucson burro over a San Francisco, San Diego, or El Paso burrito any day. It isn’t about the “style” of filling it. That’s the easy part. It’s really about what you wrap it in.
Yup
That’s the one thing, other than sunshine, that you miss when you move away - real tortillas.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I will pretty much eat anything burrito style.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I will pretty much eat anything burrito style.
I swear, spaghetti with meatballs is improved by ditching the fork and wrapping it in an Alejandro's. Pick it up with both hands and bite into it.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Wrap a Sausage Shop Portuguese Linguica sausage in a Alejandro's or Estrella tortilla and enjoy. No big bun to get in the way of the flavor - you're welcome.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

wyo-cat wrote:Wrap a Sausage Shop Portuguese Linguica sausage in a Alejandro's or Estrella tortilla and enjoy. No big bun to get in the way of the flavor - you're welcome.
Any recommended condiment? Or nothing added to get in the way?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:Wrap a Sausage Shop Portuguese Linguica sausage in a Alejandro's or Estrella tortilla and enjoy. No big bun to get in the way of the flavor - you're welcome.
Any recommended condiment? Or nothing added to get in the way?
Straight up, enjoy the sausage flavor.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This is awesome, Wyo. Thanks for the rec, and the reminder about Sausage Shop, which is far away from me. It would take me six or seven minutes to get there from work before heading home to eat sausage.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I drive by there every other day on the way to school. Now I know I can stop by and get some good sausage. And as my gay friends have rhetorically asked me . . . can you ever really have too much sausage?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I drive by there every other day on the way to school. Now I know I can stop by and get some good sausage. And as my gay friends have rhetorically asked me . . . can you ever really have too much sausage?
I'd tell your gay friends about vegan sausage. And that therefore, yes, you can have too much sausage. Unless you stick to actual colon lining encased innards and organ meats. In which case no, you can never have too much sausage.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Went to Istanbul and liked it. Donor lunch plate($11) and sarma($6), plenty of food for two. They have not changed any of the decor out from Mays Counter besides the UA stuff.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Challenge accepted

https://tucsonfoodie.com/2019/11/15/ult ... st-tucson/" target="_blank
Just looking at the tortilla in the second picture of the burrito at Aqui Con El Nene you can see the difference - I can almost feel, smell and taste it all the way up here in Boise, Idaho. You just don't get that kind of a tortilla anywhere else. And those who haven't lived it just don't understand. That looks amazing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chef Wang, man. Last night I included an order under "American favorites": General Tso's chicken. When somebody makes it right, I love General Tso's chicken. They make it right. And amazingly, I hadn't had one made right in about 3 years.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to compile a list of all the Chinese restaurants in Tucson who don't make General Tso's chicken right. Maybe it should be its own thread.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:Chef Wang, man. Last night I included an order under "American favorites": General Tso's chicken. When somebody makes it right, I love General Tso's chicken. They make it right. And amazingly, I hadn't had one made right in about 3 years.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to compile a list of all the Chinese restaurants in Tucson who don't make General Tso's chicken right. Maybe it should be its own thread.
Lol I would actually appreciate it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Had a gyro and chicken shawarma at Caravan Grill. The gyro was in a thin tortilla and wrapped up like a burrito. Both were delicious and I will definitely be back as this could be my favorite gyro in Tucson. Used to be Gyros Cafe on Naranja but they closed years ago.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

BearDown89 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Challenge accepted

https://tucsonfoodie.com/2019/11/15/ult ... st-tucson/" target="_blank
Just looking at the tortilla in the second picture of the burrito at Aqui Con El Nene you can see the difference - I can almost feel, smell and taste it all the way up here in Boise, Idaho. You just don't get that kind of a tortilla anywhere else. And those who haven't lived it just don't understand. That looks amazing.
It's funny that the first two are two of my favs in town. Chile Colorado at Anita Street and Carne Asada at El Nene.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Something seriously special is going on with Nico and his taco specials on Tuesdays at Welcome Diner. If there were such a thing as Taco Magazine he’d be on the cover. Absolute mastery of hand-shaped fresh masa with symphonic assembly of perfect parts, kind of stunningly presented. Last night he made some short rib tacos that would kill you.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

nm was drunk, insensitive, senseless, and insulting.
Last edited by Longhorned on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Bad acid trip kind of ugly colors.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You’re all a bunch of jerks for never telling me about Cocina La Ley in Nogales.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Stopped by Taqueria y Raspados Jason on 22nd tonight after looking at houses out east. Cabeza and pastor were on point, and the beans. God damn I would've missed being able to sit at a folding table in short sleeves at sunset in January eating Mexican food while looking at the mountains in the distance if I moved to Wisconsin...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Stopped by Taqueria y Raspados Jason on 22nd tonight after looking at houses out east. Cabeza and pastor were on point, and the beans. God damn I would've missed being able to sit at a folding table in short sleeves at sunset in January eating Mexican food while looking at the mountains in the distance if I moved to Wisconsin...
I guess I missed that. You’re staying?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Stopped by Taqueria y Raspados Jason on 22nd tonight after looking at houses out east. Cabeza and pastor were on point, and the beans. God damn I would've missed being able to sit at a folding table in short sleeves at sunset in January eating Mexican food while looking at the mountains in the distance if I moved to Wisconsin...
Yup for the foreseeable future. Starting to look at houses to buy hopefully in the next 6 to 9 months. Hopefully I don't have the same luck I did buying a house in 2005...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One of my family's traditions when we get together between Christmas and New Years is Jethro's for breakfast. I have never seen anyone finish one of their breakfasts. Delicious too, can't even get chicken fried chicken where I live. Just try and finish the #1, I dare ya!

My daughter in NC wanted me to get some green corn tamales from Tucson, since they can't be found anywhere else in the US. My sister's business is in southern Tucson, and she has been my source, but every place she finds ends up going out of business. However, this year she found this wholesale place that sells to restaurants, but also sells to customers who walk in.

And they are fantastic! My sister's hubby bought a case for us ($60) of some fantastic green corn tamales, which is 3 dozen. Sent a dozen to my daughter, and my son who was home from college took a dozen too, leaving the wife and I a dozen. Had one tonight although sadly I microwaved it, instead of steaming, but it was still delicious.

https://www.carlottaskitchen.com/" target="_blank

Address: 847 E 18th St, Tucson, AZ 85719
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Yup for the foreseeable future. Starting to look at houses to buy hopefully in the next 6 to 9 months. Hopefully I don't have the same luck I did buying a house in 2005...

At the peak of the market before the crash? Hate to tell you this, but....

Family aside, there is no way anyone could ever get me to live in the midwest again. And I have lots of relatives in Indytucky, along with Columbus OH.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks, Merk!
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I like Jethro's except for the Confederate decor. Food is always good, service is always friendly but... It makes me wonder what my experience would be if I had a bit more melanin.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ASUCatFan wrote:I like Jethro's except for the Confederate decor. Food is always good, service is always friendly but... It makes me wonder what my experience would be if I had a bit more melanin.
So go there with a couple of your friends with "bit more melanin" :roll: , and find out; or ask them their thoughts about your patronage...

... and if you don't have any such friends, then, well, STFU!!! (And quit going to an establishment with (apparently) racist decor...)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:My daughter in NC wanted me to get some green corn tamales from Tucson, since they can't be found anywhere else in the US. My sister's business is in southern Tucson, and she has been my source, but every place she finds ends up going out of business. However, this year she found this wholesale place that sells to restaurants, but also sells to customers who walk in.

And they are fantastic! My sister's hubby bought a case for us ($60) of some fantastic green corn tamales, which is 3 dozen. Sent a dozen to my daughter, and my son who was home from college took a dozen too, leaving the wife and I a dozen. Had one tonight although sadly I microwaved it, instead of steaming, but it was still delicious.

El Molinito at Wrightstown has green corn/red chile beef and Salsa Verde has 3 kinds of tamales. Both are excellent but Salsa Verdes seem fresher. SV is quickly becoming my favorite Mexican restaurant in Tucson and its getting busier and busier as people try it out.

We have a guy that comes to our shopping center on the east side with bags of mini flour tortillas, quesadillas and tamales and they are excellent. He stops by a few times a month and has been for the last 20 years. He charges $15 for 1 dozen tamales.

By the way do not buy the Costco green corn tamales. They are horrible. Not even Tex mex bad, like east coast 'Mexican" bad

I just put Carlotta's on my list. Never knew it was there and Im always at Barrio
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:
Merkin wrote:My daughter in NC wanted me to get some green corn tamales from Tucson, since they can't be found anywhere else in the US. My sister's business is in southern Tucson, and she has been my source, but every place she finds ends up going out of business. However, this year she found this wholesale place that sells to restaurants, but also sells to customers who walk in.

El Molinito at Wrightstown has green corn/red chile beef and Salsa Verde has 3 kinds of tamales. Both are excellent but Salsa Verdes seem fresher. SV is quickly becoming my favorite Mexican restaurant in Tucson and its getting busier and busier as people try it out.

We have a guy that comes to our shopping center on the east side with bags of mini flour tortillas, quesadillas and tamales and they are excellent. He stops by a few times a month and has been for the last 20 years. He charges $15 for 1 dozen tamales.

By the way do not buy the Costco green corn tamales. They are horrible. Not even Tex mex bad, like east coast 'Mexican" bad

I just put Carlotta's on my list. Never knew it was there and Im always at Barrio
But a chain from Illinois?

I want to be big, but I just can't.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I just buy them off the ladies in the Ghetto Fry's parking lot, First and Roger.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’ve eaten at the Prince and the Oracle locations. This probably belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but here goes: every place that people have told me serves the best Mexican food in Tucson has just been meh. Not awful, not spectacular. They all just fit into that category of being more authentic than an Cheesecake Factory burrito, but nothing to write home about. The fresh made salsa at Guadalajara is the main reason I go. Happy to tip the molcajete lady a buck for the service.
Wait. Even Mi Nidito is just meh?
Employees are not! Note this is from 2018.

Watch Mi Nidito staff, customers jump to action during robbery attempt

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That's a lot of big dudes in a small place.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Went to El Berraco last night.

Amazing seafood dishes. The octopus was out of sight.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Very interesting about Tucson restaurants:

https://tucson.com/thisistucson/eat/the ... paign=link" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:Very interesting about Tucson restaurants:

https://tucson.com/thisistucson/eat/the ... paign=link" target="_blank
How can you possibly eat those carne asada tacos without spilling half the meat? Or is that a tostada?

It's my families tradition to get Sonoran dogs during our yearly reunion. We used to go South Tucson, but since El Guero Canelo
opened up on 22nd, we go there now for convenience since my family lives mostly east side.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Take-out as a way of supporting Tucson restaurants. Great list!

https://thisistucson.com/eat/latest-a-g ... 62c26.html" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The Lost Taco Shop:

Sonoran Brunch Company, which took over the old "diner" of Poco and Mom's and its weird drive-thru window over on Kolb and 22nd, is open for call-in orders with drive-thru pickups for brunch every day until 2, now becomes the "Lost Taco Shop" starting at 4 pm every night.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Does anybody else still miss the old Two Pesos at the corner of Euclid and University? I used to have all my study cram sessions over there. Unlimited Mtn. Dew until they would kick you out at 2 a.m. was always the way to go.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:Does anybody else still miss the old Two Pesos at the corner of Euclid and University? I used to have all my study cram sessions over there. Unlimited Mtn. Dew until they would kick you out at 2 a.m. was always the way to go.
Must've been a pretty old place since it didn't exist in 2004 when I went to the UA
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

catgrad97 wrote:Does anybody else still miss the old Two Pesos at the corner of Euclid and University? I used to have all my study cram sessions over there. Unlimited Mtn. Dew until they would kick you out at 2 a.m. was always the way to go.
Used to walk by it every day. My apartment during my first 2 years was basically at the corner of University and 1st Ave. I enjoyed it, but I’m weird—I have a weakness for that strata of Mexican food joint.