If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by Longhorned »

On Saturday night we went to Penca. First time in years. What a feast. Amazing. The single $8 fish taco I had was a work of art.

Also, went to Tough Luck. Nice cocktails. And the $6 roll of the dice for a shot was fun.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I doubt I'll ever go to Portillo's in Tucson. I've honestly had my fill.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I rarely eat mammals anymore... but I do allow myself a cheat day every now and then.

One of the things I never have anymore but often crave is a Chicago Hot Dog. I was sad when Luke's shut down. I'll probably break down and go to Portillo's at some point (after the initial crowds die down)
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:45 am I rarely eat mammals anymore... but I do allow myself a cheat day every now and then.

One of the things I never have anymore but often crave is a Chicago Hot Dog. I was sad when Luke's shut down. I'll probably break down and go to Portillo's at some point (after the initial crowds die down)
The original Luke’s on Alvernon is still open. The one on Thornydale is too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:45 am I rarely eat mammals anymore... but I do allow myself a cheat day every now and then.

Somebody recently forced me to try an Impossible bratwurst. I had to confess that it tastes like a legitimately mediocre bratwurst. Was I crazy?

I'm not sure whether it could substitute for a Vienna Sausage link, or maybe a Maxwell Polish Sausage, or what. But it's something.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I eat Beyond sausage all the time. I enjoy them a lot… but a real Chicago dog cannot be replicated
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

They don't make it easy to find the sodium level in Impossible Brats, but each link sausage is 28% of the recommended daily intake. I love salty fatty meats. They're evil. Somebody stop me.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:15 pm They don't make it easy to find the sodium level in Impossible Brats, but each link sausage is 28% of the recommended daily intake. I love salty fatty meats. They're evil. Somebody stop me.
So, 3 sausages and a bunch of chocolate every day. Done.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:42 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:15 pm They don't make it easy to find the sodium level in Impossible Brats, but each link sausage is 28% of the recommended daily intake. I love salty fatty meats. They're evil. Somebody stop me.
So, 3 sausages and a bunch of chocolate every day. Done.
When pondering the consequences of meat fat, sodium, and chocolate, the mouth ever wants what it wants.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:20 pm I haven't had a decent pizza at Transplant since the first time when they opened. They've quickly fallen beneath Blackjack. I wonder if they lost their pizza makers in the same way Luna did, except instead of closing, they tried to power through with new workers who don't know what they're doing.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Dang, they were pretty good
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/best-food-cities
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Pizza Luna was good, but not so much when they tried to come back. We kept going to them to see if we could help get them over the hump, but last week when they went dark, we went back to Falora and revisited what good pizza is actually like.

Unfortunately, my kid hates Falora and my wife hates NYPD. So, until we start making our own, we're probably done with pizza.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Have any of you gone back to a buffet since the pandemic?

Ever since I saw the experiment on a cruise ship buffet and how easily the germs spread from one person to everyone else, it's been a hard pass for me.

I've seen many reopen, including a Chinese buffet walking distance from my house, and Golden Corral seems to be packed. I just can't right now and not sure if I will ever, but I sure do miss Indian restaurant buffets. Saffron was the best.
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We don't buffet. We don't theater. Don't know if we ever will again if the paradigm doesn't make an enduring change.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Buffet has always been against my religion.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

But I must admit, I had a thing for theater hot dogs back in the pre-Covid days. That sorta combined buffet and theater in one swift unhealthy indulgence.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I went to the Kon Tiki. For lunch. The food was really good. WTF? Am I the last person in Tucson to know about this?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:31 pm I went to the Kon Tiki. For lunch. The food was really good. WTF? Am I the last person in Tucson to know about this?
Did you get Monkey on a Stick?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Have to break my buffet boycott already.

Satchmo's catered at a wedding in Flagstaff.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:52 pm
Longhorned wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:31 pm I went to the Kon Tiki. For lunch. The food was really good. WTF? Am I the last person in Tucson to know about this?
I did not. Do you recommend?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I had no idea kontiki still existed
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

They haven't cleaned the carpets at Kon Tiki since the 70's.

Those Scorpion drinks will fuck you up quick.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I did have a scorpion but the high alcohol level was so obvious, I had to stop halfway in.

It's okay if they don't clean the carpets because the place is so exotically dark. In the men's room, I noticed that you have to be small enough to use the urinal, but then tall enough to use the sink. I could sort of stretch to it in both instances because I'm in the sweet spot.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

[tweet][/tweet]
Longhorned wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:30 pm
Alieberman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:52 pm
I did not. Do you recommend?
I hear it's recommended you get the Monkey on a Stick with the severed vocal cords.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I used to live 2 blocks from the tiki.

An order of monkey on a stick and a couple drinks and I could usually remember how to stumble back to my house
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've been making a lot of classic tiki cocktails lately. Very good if you do it with the right ingredients
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:11 pm I used to live 2 blocks from the tiki.

An order of monkey on a stick and a couple drinks and I could usually remember how to stumble back to my house
Do you remember the tall sink and the tight-squeeze urinals?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:51 am Have any of you gone back to a buffet since the pandemic?

Ever since I saw the experiment on a cruise ship buffet and how easily the germs spread from one person to everyone else, it's been a hard pass for me.

I've seen many reopen, including a Chinese buffet walking distance from my house, and Golden Corral seems to be packed. I just can't right now and not sure if I will ever, but I sure do miss Indian restaurant buffets. Saffron was the best.
Had the buffet breakfast at a hotel in Chicago we were staying at a few weeks ago.

I used to freakin love buffets. The only way I can live my Ron Swanson fantasy and eat all the bacon. Found out I still love them. Just used hand sanitizer after my plate was made.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Buffets are one thing, but what the fuck happened to room service? The Westin in Pittsburgh advised me that room service is discontinued because of the pandemic. I live for room service during conferences.

Do Grubhub and stuff like that still not work? I stopped using those delivery services a few years back when it became clear that they just couldn't get your food to you. You put in an order, followed by three hours of vanishing drivers, claims of delivery to the wrong house, and other impossible negotiations before eventually begging for your money back so you can just go endure the humiliation of eating in a restaurant alone.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Now Grubhub and DoorDash deliver to hotels. But the hotel we were at had room service and me and the kids begged to get breakfast in bed but the wife put her foot down. For some reason she hates room service. I think her parents convinced her it was gross to eat in a hotel room because they used to stay in Motel 6’s when there wasn’t a family friend close enough to go impose upon.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:29 am Now Grubhub and DoorDash deliver to hotels. But the hotel we were at had room service and me and the kids begged to get breakfast in bed but the wife put her foot down. For some reason she hates room service. I think her parents convinced her it was gross to eat in a hotel room because they used to stay in Motel 6’s when there wasn’t a family friend close enough to go impose upon.
Yeah, I've tried that in the past, but the problem is Grubhub has been unable to deliver said order to my room. I'm nothing without room service. You might as well throw me to the alligators.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:31 pmI went to the Kon Tiki. For lunch. The food was really good. WTF? Am I the last person in Tucson to know about this?
Its a well kept secret how incredible the food is at Kon Tiki. Went last Friday for dinner with the parents and its always amazing. Highly recommend the steak bulgogi and short rib plate
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If any of you are on the northwest side, give Dominick's Real Italian, it's very good.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Irish27 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:15 pmIf any of you are on the northwest side, give Dominick's Real Italian, it's very good.
Its been on my list of places to go. Heard great things and it smelled amazing when I was parking at Blacktop Grill next door

Put Nate's Metro Deli on Golf Links on your list if you haven't been
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Interesting, I live like 2 minutes from Dominick's and never gave it a second thought
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:29 am Now Grubhub and DoorDash deliver to hotels.
I just learned about the complete lack of accountability in the hotel delivery. They leave your order in the lobby. Of course, they forget half your order, and have nobody to answer to as they drive away.

Bring back my room service!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:05 pm
Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:29 am Now Grubhub and DoorDash deliver to hotels.
I just learned about the complete lack of accountability in the hotel delivery. They leave your order in the lobby. Of course, they forget half your order, and have nobody to answer to as they drive away.

The good news is that it will only take four months, 8 emails, and 3 calls for you to get your money back.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Irish27 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:15 pm If any of you are on the northwest side, give Dominick's Real Italian, it's very good.
A little pricey. Tried their pizza the other day - decent enough but it was $28 for a large one item.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That's because most nicer hotels won't let delivery people go up to rooms and force them to leave it in the lobby. Also customers usually never answer messages and texts from the delivery person or forget they ordered. Also the restaurants are the ones that make orders wrong, the drivers just pick up already assembled and packaged orders and have no control over what's in it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've used to use uber eats and doordash all the time when I was on the road staying at hotels. I always had to go down and outside to pick up my food.... drivers would never even get out of their cars.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm at La Chingada for the first time in my life and I find it to be at oh my god level
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The Mt. Fuji bowl at Kukai in the Mercado Annex is the most delicious thing ever made by human beings. And it's fully Tucson-based in a Sonoran way. It would be a cross-cultural experience for people visiting from Japan.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Went to Dante’s Fire at Grant and Tucson.

Great food and creative cocktails.

Ran into an ol’ boy I hadn’t seen on a while. Total Tucson experience.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Went to The Delta downtown Sat night. Amazing food, drinks and service. Its better than the pics look: https://www.instagram.com/thedeltatucson/
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Didn't realize Claim Jumper was being torn down for Portillo's.

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Endorse

Also,

-JB
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Yeah another new CEO for Eegee's today
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:13 am Didn't realize Claim Jumper was being torn down for Portillo's.

Is nothing sacred?