If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by scumdevils86 »

I can't possibly express how delightful in every way the Delta is. It's downtown in the old space occupied by Janos' Downtown Kitchen and Cocktails. The food was bonkers. I can't wait to go back.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

^^^ Headline is somewhat misleading - it existed on Broadway / Rosemont for years before moving to that location farther east 4 years ago.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Has anyone been to Kingfisher lately? I have a $100 gift card and my wife and I are excited to have our quarterly date night where we actually get someone to watch our kid. I haven't been in about 7 years but it still looks good even if the menu hasn't really changed.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:29 pm Has anyone been to Kingfisher lately? I have a $100 gift card and my wife and I are excited to have our quarterly date night where we actually get someone to watch our kid. I haven't been in about 7 years but it still looks good even if the menu hasn't really changed.
Not for many years. Almost went earlier this week but opted for Wildflower because of half-priced wine Tuesday.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Up for a James Beard award. Well deserved! Also picked as #8 in Yelp's annual top 100 places to eat in the US
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Selfishly I don't want more people to know about Tumerico... its one of my favorites.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My employer is a main sponsor of the Tucson Savor Food and Wine festival and I managed to get VIP tickets for tomorrow's event. My wife and I are going and it's our first time together without a kid outside the house in over 4 months. I can't express how excited I am.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So what happened to El Guero Canelo on 22nd? We usually go there as a group for my family reunion, but one of the sisters went there and she said it was terrible. The hotdogs are now really small, and the buns are no longer the same.

We ended up going to the Mexican food place at the 4th Ave Boxcars, and they were amazing. Even my Tucson brothers agreed.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:31 pm Selfishly I don't want more people to know about Tumerico... its one of my favorites.
Ahh I flew in to Tucson for the UCLA game and my friend took me here. SO good. I had the carnitas tacos which were made out of jackfruit. If you're into Vegas dishes for sure a must visit.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:38 pm So what happened to El Guero Canelo on 22nd? We usually go there as a group for my family reunion, but one of the sisters went there and she said it was terrible. The hotdogs are now really small, and the buns are no longer the same.

We ended up going to the Mexican food place at the 4th Ave Boxcars, and they were amazing. Even my Tucson brothers agreed.
I rarely go to El Guero. I couldn’t tell ya.

I’m a BK’s and El Nene guy.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Friday lunch at Vivace. It was great in total. Not stellar, but they didn't drop the ball on anything. Branzino had a substantive grill taste to it that is hard to achieve in a fillet that isn't a thick slab. Artichoke on top was NOT out of a can. Risotto was savory and not starchy and had a good proportion of vegetable in it. Manicotti was probably the most delicate we've ever had. True crepe, not some medium-heavy pasta vessel, filled with sumptuousness that satisfied and didn't bring the food coma. Bread with a non-boring pesto was what bread is supposed to be. Best of all: a $35 bottle of Cannonau, a Sardinian red wine I could never find in San Antonio over 5 years ago for less than the mid $40s. The lunch menu is limited such that they do well the things they offer.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The branzino and manicotti are the bomb at Vivace.

I don’t think I’ve had anything else!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

After seeing Tom Cruise ride a motorcycle we ate at Hideout Steakhouse next to the Harkins Spectrum 18. I appreciate a non-snooty place to get a slab of beef and a bottle of wine and this place was just fine, especially for the prices. Had the 8 oz. tri tip with grilled veggies and a Caesar salad: $19. Wife had a baker loaded with pulled pork. Came home with half the meat cause I always have to eat some of her plate. Anyway, best was the veggies: truly grilled and good. Not gonna gush and go there weekly or anything but it delivered, which is sorta rare these days.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

But the bread sucked balls.

~ Wilhoit's Law