If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

phenom5

If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by phenom5 »

In a continuous effort to migrate some of the best threads from the lower boards...and to set the tone by breaking the rules and offering up more than one restaurant.

King Fisher
Blue Fin
Noble Hops
Union Public House - my nephew is a sous chef and the short rib dish is un-freakin-beleivable.
ASUHATER!

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by ASUHATER! »

proper on congress is good.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Mother Hubbard's is unique.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

phenom5 wrote:In a continuous effort to migrate some of the best threads from the lower boards...and to set the tone by breaking the rules and offering up more than one restaurant.

King Fisher
Blue Fin
Noble Hops
Union Public House - my nephew is a sous chef and the short rib dish is un-freakin-beleivable.
I live right by Union Public House but haven't gone there. We get pizza from Scordatos regularly, but I've been stuck in the cycle of not trying UPH. That and Old Pueblo Grill have been percolating for a while.

I'll toss in Brushfire for BBQ.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Uph is pretty good. Used to have a really good mussels with chorizo dish and pork belly. Waitresses are hot.

4Life

Post by 4Life »

Hmmm. Last time I added Greasy Tony's, but I'll also add :

Old Pueblo Grill
Beyond Bread
Poca Cosa

How about the 1 place you shouldn't eat ??

Los Betos on Flowing Wells!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

El Corral and El Charro (downtown) may not be trendy, but they are Tucson classics.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

wyo-cat wrote:El Corral and El Charro (downtown) may not be trendy, but they are Tucson classics.
There's nothing overly great about El Corral's food, but I always enjoyed it for some reason. Probably just nostalgia at work.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

wyo-cat wrote:El Corral and El Charro (downtown) may not be trendy, but they are Tucson classics.
El Charro at Wilmot / Broadway no longer exists... It's now a CVS because we just can't have enough of those around town.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

EC is still at Oracle and Magee, it's just not the same as the original location.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Vivace has moved to the Anthony's at Skyline and Campbell. Can't go wrong with that.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

In no particular order...

Abbey
El Cisne
Bazils
Pasco Kitchen & Lounge
Calle Tepa
Taco Tote
Barrio Brewery
Cup Cafe
Pats Chili Dogs
Chaffins
Blanco(awesome happy hour)
Dickmans Deli
Poco & Moms
Blue Willow
Hot Wok
Wei Asian Cafe
Little Cafe Poca Cosa
Kazoku Sushi
Sushi Ten
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I know most here don't like them, but every time I get to Tucson I get a Grinder and a Eggee.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:I know most here don't like them, but every time I get to Tucson I get a Grinder and a Eggee.
Always hit up Eegee's. Going back tomorrow so definitely going to need some cooling down.

Sonoran hotdogs too are always on the list. Our favorite place is this outdoor place in the south part of town, forgot the name if it had one. It's on some parking lot with a very long extension cord going to the houses behind the parking lot. One of the numbered avenues, 34th or ???

There was this great Chinese buffet we went to when I was there last in December. Never saw a better selection, and they do stir fry cook to order, along with pho.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

have to add the parish and seoul kitchen (little korean place on grant just east of swan, run by like 3 old korean ladies, amazing korean bbq)

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The Parish's bacon popcorn is so wrong, it's right!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

wyo-cat wrote:The Parish's bacon popcorn is so wrong, it's right!
Like bacon bits? Or popcorn wrapped in bacon? :lol: Thats sounds deadly
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

had my first frog legs at the parish. delicious

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Jefe wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:The Parish's bacon popcorn is so wrong, it's right!
Like bacon bits? Or popcorn wrapped in bacon? :lol: Thats sounds deadly
It's popcorn popped in bacon grease and sprinkled with bits of real bacon.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

El Guero Canelo
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

In the original thread at TOS, scumdevils86 said:

"If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson...that WASN'T Mexican food what would it be and why?

But since many are posting Mexican, I'll post mine:

Casa Sanchez, on Thornydale and Cortaro.

It's the last remnant of Sanchez Burrito Company, which at one time had at least six variants by various family members. (RIP Mr. Sanchez)
Don't get there much, since I live in Vail.

In my UA days, we used to go to the one on First just north of Grant, the old drive-thru with the huge beer mug.
It was dirty cheap then, now, not so much. Used to be standard pre-game fare for me and my college buddies.

Only get the burritos. Make sure you get it Sanchez Style, Bear Down Style, Enchilada Style, or Chimi Style.
(I know some argued at TOS that if you can't hold it in your hands, it's not a burrito).

Back in the day, I loved Scordato's too. (the one out towards Gates Pass).
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

We use to go to Casa Sanchez a lot. Lately it hasn't been as good.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Chef Alisha's

Although there are tons of other great places. I can walk to Kingfisher from my house. I'll have to try it out sometime.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I have great memories from Vivace.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

CalStateTempe wrote:El Guero Canelo
I'm more of a BK's guy. The location next to the old Shari's Drive Inn has an Al Pastor that is good enough to slap your mama.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Went to Old Pueblo Grill tonight. At first, wasn't thrilled we had to pay for chips and salsa. Then, a huge portion of fajita shrimp evened out the $. It was good, and the rest of the family liked theirs too. We'll go back. The green chili Mac and cheese was something I haven't had before, and I enjoyed it.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Penca on Broadway is fun
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Surprised 47 Scott hasn't received a mention. Great cocktails, quality food under $20/plate, and the best mac and cheese in town. Always my first recommendation for downtown restaurants.
Formerly McLurvin
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

In a couple weeks my kids are going to the grandparents house for a few days. So it's sort of a stay home vacation for the wife and I.

This is good news for ScumDevils because I will be out and about at Tucson restaurants past 7pm WITHOUT my kids.

So I get 4 straight nights of local adult time restaurants / bars... decisions, decisions.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:In a couple weeks my kids are going to the grandparents house for a few days. So it's sort of a stay home vacation for the wife and I.

This is good news for ScumDevils because I will be out and about at Tucson restaurants past 7pm WITHOUT my kids.

So I get 4 straight nights of local adult time restaurants / bars... decisions, decisions.
and the community breathed a sigh of relief...

hit up union public house (st. philips plaza river/campbell), pasco (main gate square), proper(right next to the rialto), etc..

all are places you should never bring children!

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Been to all of those and they are all good recommendations.
prh

Post by prh »

Anyone have good Chinese suggestions? I saw Wei Asian Cafe but I'm looking for something a little farther west (I live about a mile west of I-10 and Speedway). Would love to get some good suggestions.

As for my one, I'd have to pick Brushfire. Anytime I get a visitor I take them there, always great food.
Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:I know most here don't like them, but every time I get to Tucson I get a Grinder and a Eggee.
Always hit up Eegee's. Going back tomorrow so definitely going to need some cooling down.

Sonoran hotdogs too are always on the list. Our favorite place is this outdoor place in the south part of town, forgot the name if it had one. It's on some parking lot with a very long extension cord going to the houses behind the parking lot. One of the numbered avenues, 34th or ???

There was this great Chinese buffet we went to when I was there last in December. Never saw a better selection, and they do stir fry cook to order, along with pho.
Remember the name by any chance?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

prh wrote:Anyone have good Chinese suggestions? I saw Wei Asian Cafe but I'm looking for something a little farther west (I live about a mile west of I-10 and Speedway). Would love to get some good suggestions.

As for my one, I'd have to pick Brushfire. Anytime I get a visitor I take them there, always great food.
Merkin wrote:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/china-szechwan- ... 20szechuan
prh

Post by prh »

scumdevils86 wrote:
prh wrote:Anyone have good Chinese suggestions? I saw Wei Asian Cafe but I'm looking for something a little farther west (I live about a mile west of I-10 and Speedway). Would love to get some good suggestions.

Merkin wrote: There was this great Chinese buffet we went to when I was there last in December. Never saw a better selection, and they do stir fry cook to order, along with pho.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/china-szechwan- ... 20szechuan
Looks good! Thanks! (we need some form of rep...)
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Gonna spend Saturday night at Kingfisher and then drinks at the Shelter (never been to either)
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

scumdevils86 wrote:Gonna spend Saturday night at Kingfisher and then drinks at the Shelter (never been to either)
If you like White Russians, order one at The Shelter with their homemade vanilla-infused vodka and thank me later.
Formerly McLurvin
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Miss Saigon
Szechuan Omei
King’s Restaurant
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:Gonna spend Saturday night at Kingfisher and then drinks at the Shelter (never been to either)
I haven't been to the Shelter in years, but we used to go there all the time when I was at UofA
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I don't know how many hundreds of times I drove by that place but never went in. Thought it was just another iffy Chinese buffet, I guess.

Not one vote for Mi Nidito or Casa Molina? Guess those places have hit the skids. Used to meet up with azcat49 at the Campbell CM before football games.

Like greg and Merkin, I hit up the Eegee's every time I'm in town. Still miss Zachary's deep dish pizza, though.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Went to Rosa's on Fort Lowell and Campbell once because I can walk there in 2 minutes. Worst service I've ever had in any restaurant. Never been back and the food was just average. Also have only been to Casa Molina on Campbell just once too because it is walking distance. Very average to bad Mexican food.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Went to Rosa's on Fort Lowell and Campbell once because I can walk there in 2 minutes. Worst service I've ever had in any restaurant. Never been back and the food was just average. Also have only been to Casa Molina on Campbell just once too because it is walking distance. Very average to bad Mexican food.
I grew up in the Campbell and River area. The old Campbell Casa Molina used to be located in this cool little old deserty ramshackle plaza on the SW corner of Campbell and the Rillito. I think maybe there's a Trader Joe's there now, or there was a Chuy's. Anyway, way back in the day Casa Molina was my family's Mexican joint. Great little building, knew the wait staff forever. It's where I developed my love for carne seca which is unique to Tucson Mexican. We used to pick it up by the quart or pint with a stack of tortillas and roll our own. They used to put a fried egg on my mom's enchiladas. They knew to bring my "gringo" little brother a cheeseburger. My grandparents were regulars, we always got a big cheese crisp, etc., etc. Always loved it. In my view, however, it went down hill the minute they moved down to Ft. Lowell into that big space. I've been there from time to time over the years, but it's never been the same for decades now I guess. Still has a place in my Mexican food DNA though.

My folks still live in the area and Rosa's has been their place for years now. I've been a handful of times when I'm in town. Went last Thanksgiving and it was packed that night. I have to agree though, the food is average at best. Folks are getting old and less discerning; they don't see the point in travelling to S. 4th Ave, or whereever else you guys are finding the good stuff these days.

I'm still a Mi Nidito guy, but I've been gone for 23 years. I'm sure there's lots of great places. Also loved going to El Torero off of S. 4th way back in the late 70s. That was always fun as a kid, pool table, shuffle board, cheese crisps. Had my oldests daughter's post-baptism lunch there. :lol:
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I really dig Los Portales on South 6th Ave. Solid, not expensive, and good service. Stay away from their lunch buffet though.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Did HH at the Wild Garlic Grill last week and it was phenomenal. Only tried the fondue and some shrimp and corn salsa appetizer, both tasted great.
Formerly McLurvin
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TheBlackLodge wrote:Did HH at the Wild Garlic Grill last week and it was phenomenal. Only tried the fondue and some shrimp and corn salsa appetizer, both tasted great.
been meaning to go to wild garlic for a long time.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Never heard of it, is that in the old Sherry's?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Jefe wrote:Never heard of it, is that in the old Sherry's?
Never been there, but I think it's the old Sanchez that's south of Shari's.
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Well it used to be Janos, loved his food. His new place Downtown Kitchen has a pretty good menu the one time I went there when I was in town but is probably mostly known for its cocktails. Poco Cosa and El Parador are good. Kingfisher of course. Blue Willow is always an enjoyable meal. The list is pretty long hard to nail down to just one.

Where is the best place to get good bowl of Pho on the east side or mid town and also anywhere around town have good jerk chicken? I would also kill for some good New York style Halal chicken and rice, anywhere in Tucson have that?

I have not lived here all my life, have been back and forth between Tucson and NY for the last two decades so I am not entirely aware of what Tucson cusine looks like presently, any tips would be appreciated wrt the above.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Flemmings

I know it's a "Chain" and I know its a boring ol Steakhouse, but I'm talking Flemmings at happy hour 4-7

They have a pretty decent line up on appetizers for like 6 bucks. All are incredibly good. I usually sit in the bar with my wife and order 4-5 appetizers with a bottle of wine. Great way to spend an afternoon, especially if there is some kind of game on you're interested in.

Bonus: if you stay long enough, you'll usually see Coach Miller walk in. He loves that place.
85Cat

Post by 85Cat »

Wild Garlic Grill is excellent! It is in the old Sanchez Drive-in property. Sit at the counter and watch Steve Schultz go to town. He had Luna Bella and Red Sky at Palamino Plaza. Every dish he puts out looks fantastic. That is the fun of sitting at the counter/bar (limited spaces available). For me, it is great entertainment, as well as a great meal. Bartender is cool too (sorry, forgot his name).
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ButtonSalmon wrote:Well it used to be Janos, loved his food. His new place Downtown Kitchen has a pretty good menu the one time I went there when I was in town but is probably mostly known for its cocktails. Poco Cosa and El Parador are good. Kingfisher of course. Blue Willow is always an enjoyable meal. The list is pretty long hard to nail down to just one.

Where is the best place to get good bowl of Pho on the east side or mid town and also anywhere around town have good jerk chicken? I would also kill for some good New York style Halal chicken and rice, anywhere in Tucson have that?

I have not lived here all my life, have been back and forth between Tucson and NY for the last two decades so I am not entirely aware of what Tucson cusine looks like presently, any tips would be appreciated wrt the above.
https://dsislandgrilltucson.com/