Windows 11

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RichardCranium

Windows 11

Post by RichardCranium »

OK, everyone who is interested has probably run a compatibility check to see if their computer will run Windows 11.

And if they have, they have probably found out that it won't because it doesn't have a "Trusted Platform Module" (TPM). In actual fact, a TPM is an expensive piece of hardware. These means everybody is probably looking for a new computer in the hope that the motherboard has the module included, or planing on giving Win11 a miss.

I almost shat myself when I discovered that the new machine I just built didn't pass the Windows 11 compatibility tests. So I went digging to find out what it was all about.

And I found out you needn't worry. In 99.44% of cases you don't need a new computer or an expensive add-on module. Apparently it has been a listed requirement for Window 10 for just about ever too, it just isn't REALLY required.

Some years ago Intel (and AMD and ARM and others) realized that a hardware TPM was way too expensive for the average PC and developed a firmware version they built into the CPU chipset called "Platform Trust Technology" (PTT) (AMD's version is called fTPM).

So chances are you are already covered. But some motherboard BIOS may need to be upgraded to be able to turn on the PTT. Check with your motherboard manufacturer.

How to Check the TPM Status & Enable the CPU’s fTPM/PTT
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Catintheheat

Re: Windows 11

Post by Catintheheat »

If you bought a pc in the last few years it probably is compatible. I have an i7-8700k cpu. It said it didn’t have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM). When I flashed the bios firmware, TPM 2.0 security appeared. Also check the specs of the motherboard. Many motherboards have a TPM header, and you could buy a TPM online and insert it into the TPM header slot.

What is surprising is that this requirement has been in the works for a long time and The TPM has Been around since 2003. TPM 1.1b was the standard at the time. Microsoft never notified the public that the TPM was going to be important in the future.

One last point, Microsoft said it will support Windows 10 until 2025, so there isn’t a rush. Windows 11 will be a free upgrade at the start, but I won’t upgrade until the major software I use works in Windows 11.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like my really old PC is TPM 1.2.

But not aware of Windows 11 or why I need it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:44 am Looks like my really old PC is TPM 1.2.

It's supposed to be much more secure.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:46 am
Merkin wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:44 am Looks like my really old PC is TPM 1.2.

It's supposed to be much more secure.
That's it's purpose, so there won't be as many cyberattacks. Other than security Windows 11 isn't a major upgrade.