official science and technology thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

official science and technology thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

have to start somewhere don't we again?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAdevil

Re: official science and technology thread

Post by UAdevil »

Yes indeed!
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/scient ... d=23931524

Scientists Announce Successful Teleportation, But Can You Beam Yourself to the Moon?
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

There are times when I'd like to be able to beam myself to the bathroom.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

azgreg wrote:There are times when I'd like to be able to beam myself to the bathroom.
Or just beaming the waste right out of you. ;-)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAdevil wrote:
azgreg wrote:There are times when I'd like to be able to beam myself to the bathroom.
Or just beaming the waste right out of you. ;-)
Baby steps.
4Life

Post by 4Life »

I think what this is shows is that we really don't know as much as we thought we did about the world.

Einstein always doubted quantum mechanics, maybe because he was a Deist, but now is proving to be true. Einstein of course famously spent the remainder of his life looking for a Unified Field Theory.

Anyway, clearly, this advancement in movement of information across distances should prove to advance communication and computing technology.
4Life

Post by 4Life »

p.s. should this go in the politics, religion and beer instead?

I would say science overlaps into all those categories.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

All Our Patent Are Belong To You

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our ... belong-you
Yesterday, there was a wall of Tesla patents in the lobby of our Palo Alto headquarters. That is no longer the case. They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.

When I started out with my first company, Zip2, I thought patents were a good thing and worked hard to obtain them. And maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors. After Zip2, when I realized that receiving a patent really just meant that you bought a lottery ticket to a lawsuit, I avoided them whenever possible.

At Tesla, however, we felt compelled to create patents out of concern that the big car companies would copy our technology and then use their massive manufacturing, sales and marketing power to overwhelm Tesla. We couldn’t have been more wrong. The unfortunate reality is the opposite: electric car programs (or programs for any vehicle that doesn’t burn hydrocarbons) at the major manufacturers are small to non-existent, constituting an average of far less than 1% of their total vehicle sales.

At best, the large automakers are producing electric cars with limited range in limited volume. Some produce no zero emission cars at all.

Given that annual new vehicle production is approaching 100 million per year and the global fleet is approximately 2 billion cars, it is impossible for Tesla to build electric cars fast enough to address the carbon crisis. By the same token, it means the market is enormous. Our true competition is not the small trickle of non-Tesla electric cars being produced, but rather the enormous flood of gasoline cars pouring out of the world’s factories every day.

We believe that Tesla, other companies making electric cars, and the world would all benefit from a common, rapidly-evolving technology platform.

Technology leadership is not defined by patents, which history has repeatedly shown to be small protection indeed against a determined competitor, but rather by the ability of a company to attract and motivate the world’s most talented engineers. We believe that applying the open source philosophy to our patents will strengthen rather than diminish Tesla’s position in this regard.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

An interesting study that could explain where all our water comes from.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... ceans.html
Scientists have found evidence of a huge underground reservoir containing up to three times as much water as on the entirety of the earth’s surface and theorized to be the source for all the world’s oceans.

The new evidence, published Friday in the journal Science, suggests that melting rocks, including those containing the water-rich mineral ringwoodite, may exist far deeper below the earth’s surface. The discovery suggests to researchers that most of the earth’s water seeped out from within, as opposed to arriving on ice-bearing comets, a theory many scientists have posited.

“I think we are finally seeing evidence for a whole-earth water cycle, which may help explain the vast amount of liquid water on the surface of our habitable planet,” said Steve Jacobsen, a Northwestern University professor and a co-author of the study. “Scientists have been looking for this missing deep water for decades.”
Jacobsen's study suggests that the movement and melting of rocks containing water-rich ringwoodite could produce water capable of seeping out to the surface. Jacobsen said that if just 1 percent of the mantle’s mass is water, that would be nearly three times as much water as in all the oceans.

Jacobsen and his team studied only rock beneath the U.S. He said he wants to expand their study around the world to show that ringwoodite and its water are indeed a worldwide phenomenon.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

4Life wrote:p.s. should this go in the politics, religion and beer instead?

I would say science overlaps into all those categories.
Science is not political.

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1841 ... -of-course
NASA scientist and Advanced Propulsion Team Lead Harold White has the kind of job thousands dream of and few achieve — he’s in charge of the space agency’s efforts to determine if a faster-than-light warp drive is actually possible and, if it is, how we might create one. Now, in conjunction with artist Mark Rademaker, White has unveiled a new starship model that illustrates how our consideration of the concept has evolved over the decades. Rademaker designed the first theoretical warp ship concept to consciously echo the Matt Jeffries design for the UEV-47; the first faster-than-light version of the Starship Enterprise. This new version of the ship is chunkier, more compact, and according to Harold White, a better match for what the mathematics of an Alcubierre warp drive currently predict.
One good piece of news is that early fears that a hypothetical warp drive could be a star system-annihilating event have been disproven by a better evaluation of the mathematics. New data suggests this is unlikely to be an issue, though vessels observing the warp drive ship in close proximity could still be at risk. Energy requirements have also come down sharply, from Alcubierre’s initial calculation that planetary-sized power sources would be required to more recent data that suggests we could build a ship with a power source the size of Voyager 2 — if we can create the necessary effect at the appropriate scale.
Woooooot!
ghostwhitehorse

[youtube]n1pzxPoltDk[/youtube]
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Sorry in advance,

[youtube]8yis7GzlXNM[/youtube]
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

This blew my mind yesterday. Really puts into perspective how vast the universe is and the theories are amazing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-but- ... 89415.html
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Some good news to talk about!

http://epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissio ... s/n2o.html
New NASA Images Highlight U.S. Air Quality Improvement
Anyone living in a major U.S. city for the past decade may have noticed a change in the air. The change is apparent in new NASA satellite images unveiled this week that demonstrate the reduction of air pollution across the country.
After ten years in orbit, the Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI) on NASA's Aura satellite has been in orbit sufficiently long to show that people in major U.S. cities are breathing less nitrogen dioxide – a yellow-brown gas that can cause respiratory problems.

.....Nitrogen dioxide is one of the six common pollutants regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to protect human health. Alone it can impact the respiratory system, but it also contributes to the formation of other pollutants including ground-level ozone and particulates, which also carry adverse health effects. The gas is produced primarily during the combustion of gasoline in vehicle engines and coal in power plants. It's also a good proxy for the presence of air pollution in general.
Air pollution has decreased even though population and the number of cars on the roads have increased. The shift is the result of regulations, technology improvements and economic changes, scientists say.

Below is the Nitrogen dioxide pollution, averaged yearly from 2005-2011.

Just for your information of where Nitrogen dioxide pollution comes from. Just as a note the Agriculture portion is mostly through the use of fertilizers, and breakdown of livestock manure from the US EPA.

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ghostwhitehorse

Hail our new computer chef overlord

http://observationdeck.io9.com/ibms-wat ... 1599204470
Screw modeling human intelligence and fighting brain cancer. Watson is now bringing us FOOD.

After analyzing successful recipes, Watson made his own: the Bengali Butternut BBQ Sauce. I initially gave it some side eye, but then I realized butternut squash is awesome, and spice makes everything better. IBM even posted the recipe for anyone who wants to try it at home. I'm debating whether I'm motivated enough to find some tamarind concentrate this weekend and whip it up.
The recipe: http://ibmblr.tumblr.com/post/879332255 ... lease-look
Bengali Butternut BBQ Sauce
Approximate Yield: 550g
300g butternut squash, diced
200g white wine

100g rice vinegar
50g butter, unsalted
5g tamarind concentrate
40g water
10g chili paste (Sriracha)
4g soy sauce
50g dates, pitted and chopped
2g Thai chili
3g mustard seed
3g turmeric, fresh, thinly sliced
0.4g cardamom, ground
5g coriander leaves
2g Meyer lemon zest, grated
5g salt, to taste
10g Meyer lemon juice
6g molasses

1. Gently sweat the squash in the butter over medium low heat until softened, approximately 5-10 minutes.

2. Add the vinegar, tamarind, water, wine, chili paste, and soy; bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Add the dates, chili, mustard seed, turmeric, and cardamom. Continue to simmer and reduce to roughly 250g, for about 20 minutes.

3. Remove from heat; add the coriander leaves and lemon zest. Blend to a very smooth consistency and cool.

4. Season the mixture with salt, lemon juice, and molasses. Chill.
Cognitive Cooking: http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/ ... t=usbrb301

Pdf file with further data/explination: http://www.research.ibm.com/software/IB ... -Sheet.pdf
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pretty cool article on a 16th Century Swedish warship that was sunk in battle in 1564 that has been found and is now being studied using 3D mapping and other new techniques that allow researchers to leave it on the ocean floor but still learn a lot about it.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... y-science/

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

http://www.popsci.com/article/technolog ... an-geology

Big Pic: A Planet-Wide Map Of Martian Geology
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Computer Models Show What Exactly Would Happen To Earth After A Nuclear War

Cheery happy times

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/c ... uclear-war
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

A brain implant re-enabled Ian Burkhart to clench his hand, pioneering a possible miracle cure for paralysis sufferers

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/show ... ridge.html
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Turning Old Lead Batteries Into New Solar Energy

MIT team's work could curb toxic waste while contributing to clean power

ghostwhitehorse

[youtube]Yz_YkBDklvo[/youtube]

ISSAWOCKETSHIIIIIIIIP! ISSAWOCKETSHIIIIIIIIP!
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Scientists Create Working Organ From Scratch For First Time Ever

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/2 ... 09981.html

In what's being hailed as a scientific first, researchers in Scotland have created a fully functional organ from scratch inside the body of a living animal.

The feat--the creation of a working thymus gland from "reprogrammed" embryonic cells--is seen as an important step toward the development of laboratory-grown organs and a potential fix for the chronic shortage of donor organs.

"The ability to grow replacement organs from cells in the lab is one of the 'holy grails' in regenerative medicine," Prof. Clare Blackburn, professor of tissue stem cell biology at the MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine at the University of Edinburgh and the leader of the team of researchers who grew the organ, said in a written statement. "This is an important first step towards the goal of generating a clinically useful artificial thymus in the lab."
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's a cool shot.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Great Lakes Fall foliage from space September 26th.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the peak fall colors in Wisconsin in a week when I'm there. Never been in a place that has that during peak time
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

We're getting pretty orange and red in Illinois.
UAdevil

Fusion? Yes Please.

Post by UAdevil »

Lockheed announces breakthrough on nuclear fusion energy

100MW reactor small enough to fit on back of a truck
Cleaner energy source could be in use within 10 years

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ?CMP=fb_gu
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That sounds promising.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:That sounds promising.
That article sounds to me like they're not even all that close on it.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azgreg wrote:That sounds promising.
That article sounds to me like they're not even all that close on it.
I agree:

going public to find potential partners
gumby

Post by gumby »

Giant rabbit-roo.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/16/world/gia ... kangaroos/

Cause of extinction: Ridicule.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:Giant rabbit-roo.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/16/world/gia ... kangaroos/

Cause of extinction: Ridicule.
Who came up with the name Sthenurines?
ghostwhitehorse

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Possibly curing paralysis? Smells good to me.
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Possibly curing paralysis? Smells good to me.

Bet he is super excited his dick is working again too of all things.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Possibly curing paralysis? Smells good to me.

Bet he is super excited his dick is working again too of all things.
I'd be excited if it were me

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... f5336868=1

"Lost" Satellite Photos Reveal Surprising Views of Earth in the 1960s
Images reveal the most Antarctic ice on record and the Aral Sea before it dried up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

MSNBC reporting one pilot dead, the other taken to the hospital, condition unknown.

Really, really shitty.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Awful, but why is there a need for pilots anymore?

Russia's version of the shuttle the Buran was pilotless in 1988.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:Awful, but why is there a need for pilots anymore?

Russia's version of the shuttle the Buran was pilotless in 1988.
This project is trying to develop commercial space travel.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Crap. Rip to the pilot. This will be a serious setback in the space travel plans

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

"This near-infrared, color mosaic from NASA's Cassini spacecraft shows the sun glinting off of Titan's north polar seas. While Cassini has captured, separately, views of the polar seas (see PIA17470) and the sun glinting off of them (see PIA12481 and PIA18433) in the past, this is the first time both have been seen together in the same view."

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Sun doing it's best jack-o-lantern impression just in time for Halloween.

'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tony Hawk rides a real hover board.

http://theridechannel.com/features/2014 ... hoverboard