Official Pet Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Zero

Official Pet Thread

Post by Zero »

I cannot remember the name of the thread from TOS about losing a pet and not sure if it has been started here. But, I will start this and mods merge if needed.

I am beyond bummed that tomorrow I will be putting down my 15 year old american pittbull mix. She has been the best pet I have ever had. Does not bark, does not jump, does not do the stereotypical things some assume pits do and does not deserve the pain she is in. (just a fyi on my mental state. My cat died 2 months ago out of the blue)

I got her from a gf who thought I said pitbull when I really said English Bulldog (big difference). She was a white with brown eye ball of energy who was very loving as a puppy. Her biggest fault was eating one of my shoes and me figuring out what to do with the other one, haha. She never snapped or tried to bite an animal or human. She liked to jump but not on people. As time moved on I moved and left her with my mom who became she became a protector to. My family is very close and do dinners and bbqs regularly at my moms so everyone in my large family knows and loves her. During the years she has been bitten not once but twice by a rattlesnake. And, with vet care bounced back. We call her Rocky.

Present day I have spent a lot more time at my moms and knew she was on the decline. She has outlived the life experts say she would live by almost 4 years. Her body has caught up to her where she can barely walk. Her hind legs are so thin and hind back is tiny and brittle. She has trouble sitting and getting up and has sores from hot spots (over licking one place) That being said she managed and trooped on until this past saturday I think she fell off the patio and hurt her already weak legs. She clenches her teeth just to reach down for water in her bowl and cannot open her mouth. Today came over and she had fallen over on the kitchen tile and not been strong enough to lift herself up.

I made the appointment I have dreaded for years tonight and will be saying goodbye to the one pet who has always been around me for almost half of my life tomorrow morning.

I love you and may you RIP Bisquit.
azgreg

Re: Official Pet Thread

Post by azgreg »

Sorry to hear that man.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Thanks Greg!

I am lucky to have a place like this to vent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sorry to hear that. Losing a loved dog (and cat) isn't easy.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Thank you. Rep if I could.

Now another whiskey.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Based on what you write, there's no doubt she knows how much you love her. And that you're taking the absolute best possible care of her. That's the most any of us living beings can hope to have. Take good care of yourself and treasure this relationship always. And try not to feel sorry for all the people who will never have a non-human friend.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Based on what you write, there's no doubt she knows how much you love her. And that you're taking the absolute best possible care of her. That's the most any of us living beings can hope to have. Take good care of yourself and treasure this relationship always. And try not to feel sorry for all the people who will never have a non-human friend.
This too. Possessing the strength and caring to know when not to prolong the suffering is a big, big thing you're doing.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Wow.

Always been a fan of your posting LH. But what you just posted made me tear up. Thank you so much for those words. I don't post a ton on these sites but I am as old school as it gets on arizona message boards. This post I will treasure. Thank you.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My son had a female pit for a while, one of the nicest dogs we ever had. Pits can make really good pets if you treat them like one of the family, not keep them penned in the back yard with no human contact for months like my neighbors do.

Lost 2 dogs of the last couple of years, our life long family dog Schipperke succumbed to cancer. Then last December our Pomeranian dug under and fence and went next to the gangsters who had a pit in the back yard. Our little pit just wanted to play. Never had a chance.

And yes, like Zero is going through it's quite traumatic, we cried.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I hate these threads and I sympathize with you. My dogs have always been my best friends and it sounds like you have a great one. Remember that putting her down is really the most loving and kind thing you can do for her right now.

Take care. Thoughts are with you.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I hate these too but it is always better knowing other people have and will experience the same thing. I echo what longhorned said about who never have a non human friend. 3 of the saddest days of my life were when my first three dogs had to be put down.

Dunno what I'd do without this guy now
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I hate when this happens. Speedy recovery, Zero. The last time I had to do that just about tore my heart out.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Based on what you write, there's no doubt she knows how much you love her. And that you're taking the absolute best possible care of her. That's the most any of us living beings can hope to have. Take good care of yourself and treasure this relationship always. And try not to feel sorry for all the people who will never have a non-human friend.
This too. Possessing the strength and caring to know when not to prolong the suffering is a big, big thing you're doing.
Yep and yep, great posts.

There should be no doubt that the pet knows how much you love them and that you're only trying to help. They can see it in our eyes and faces, and feel it in our souls. They know. We have these pets, and love them, and spoil them with great lives with treats and warm shelter...but none of that compares to what they do for us. Being close to a pet literally change who you are, it makes you a better person. Their innocence, the output of unconditional love, is just unmatched and can't even be put into words.

When I had to put my cat down recently due to cancer, while not herself, she was still alive and seemingly well but in reality was deteriorating quickly...it was easily the most agonizing, depressing, painful thing I've ever experienced. Some might think this is crazy, but it hurt me far worse than any human death even.

Best of luck Zero, we can all sympathize beyond belief, and at least time will somewhat heal you.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Hang in there bud. It's a gut wrenching experience. I put down my 9 year-old Golden Retriever a month ago as she was losing a battle to an extremely aggressive cancer (Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen). I sat with her at the vet while she took her last breath, and as difficult as it was, I knew it was the right thing. The hardest part is my daughter totally doesn't understand the situation. A couple of times per week she asks us when her dog is coming back from heaven to play with her.

Good luck man. Non-pet owners just don't understand how these guys truly become a part of your family.
Last edited by the real dill on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So sad for you. Losing a pet is awful. Odogg is 9 years old --->

We hope to have several more years with him in it.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Zero

Post by Zero »

This community is really great. Thank you guys. Off to say goodbye.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Zero wrote:This community is really great. Thank you guys. Off to say goodbye.
God bless.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My wife and I raised our glasses to Bisquit tonight.
Zero

Post by Zero »

That is awesome. Thanks.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I've never really done one of these on a message board, but here it goes.

I moved into a new place with my girlfriend (now wife) in the summer of 2012 and in the beginning of August that year we rescued a 3.5 year old pug/boston terrier mix online named Buddy. This was my first dog ever as my parents growing up never had the grand desire to have a dog. They weren't anti-dogs, but I just had cats growing up and never had the experience of owning a dog.

Buddy was an incredible dog, just so much energy and always wanted to play fetch and was very social amongst friends when they came over. It was really an incredible experience having a dog for the first time. Buddy was so loyal and friendly and just had so much personality. He fiercely guarded my wife even though he was just 25 lbs whenever we went on walks and it really couldn't have gone any better with the adoption.

Our first rough news came the July 4th weekend of 2013, when I noticed lumps on his neck and we eventually found out that Buddy had lymphoma and he was never again going to be fully cured. This news was difficult, but even more-so because I had only had Buddy for 10 months and he was only 4.5 years old. We also had planned our wedding for May of 2014 at the time and we were very worried he wouldn't make it to event. We were reading lots of different information and didn't really know what to expect.

Buddy then started his first round of chemo a week or two after his diagnosis. It was an 18-week treatment (not chemo every time) and we were told that most dogs then have a 18-24 month remission period where eventually the cancer cells come back. We finished the treatments and unfortunately Buddy was only in remission for 3 additional months. It was a tough pill to swallow since we thought he would respond so much better being so young and his energy level never wavered during the whole time. It was incredible to me to see how dogs could go through a round of chemo and want to play fetch an hour later. Just part of their incredible personality.

When his cancer came back we were stuck with two choices. Don't treat Buddy and he will have 2-3 months to live or try another chemotherapy that was more intensive and expensive with hopes he could respond better to it. We eventually chose the second round of chemo and he started another week or two later in Spring 2014. He had another 18 week schedule and finally for some good news, he made it to my wedding in May where he was the ring bearer. Photo below (don't judge I actually participated in a Pug Chat!):
We were so happy that he made it to the wedding and wasn't even that much a stress. He maintained amazing energy and his last treatment was actually the week after we got back home after all the festivities.

It was then we got the further crushing news.

During the final treatment it was discovered that the cancer was back without even finishing the second round of chemo. This was extremely hard, Buddy was still only a little over 5 and the cancer was back after two different rounds of chemo. With his quality of life still very high we continued to look for further options for him in hopes a different chemo would work, but at this point the only option was an incredibly expensive and intensive treatment that would have drastically affected his quality of life and cost us a ton of money. At this point we sadly couldn't go forward with the chemo treatments and looked for some experimental studies that we had heard about up and down the east coast at Universities, but unfortunately none of the studies matched for what his condition was.

At this point it was late May and we had no other options and we were told Buddy had around 2-3 months to live. It was a tough pill to swallow, but we still had hope he could outpace expectations being so young and full of energy.

At this point we were taking him to the park constantly and staying in a lot of weekends to try and show him love in our limited time with him. Even as he was saddled with this disease his mood and energy never seemed to waver. He was just a great dog.

Fast forward to last week and we started to see bruising on his body and we knew his time was coming to a close. He was shutting down and really there was nothing we could do to stop it. He still was very friendly, but his energy was starting to go downhill.

Over the weekend, he didn't eat on Saturday and we setup for Buddy to put to sleep today at our animal hospital due to his quality of life going down.

Sadly, Buddy passed away this morning in his sleep painlessly in between myself and my wife. It really was a much better way to go in my mind as he was in a comfortable spot and was with the two people he loved the most.

I know this story is focused on primarily his downfall, but there was so much I learned during my first dog companionship experience, even if I only had my dog for two years. I really see now how people are so devoted to their dogs and treat them like family members, they really do become a part of your life and that was something I never knew before I had one of my own.

I hope my story is beneficial in someway and at the least maybe if you have your dog next to you reading this now you give him a hug or something.

It is extremely difficult right now, but I am glad Buddy and I crossed paths because the adoption process was random and I could have easily never even have met him.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

So sorry 34. Buddy sure must have been one awesome guy.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat34, I'm very sorry. It sounds like you had a wonderful and devastating experience that you're better for having had. I hope you and your wife are taking good care of each other. Thanks for telling us. You're definitely lucky to have had this time with Buddy.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Sorry 34. He lived a loving life.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Sad for that.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sorry for your lose.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

34, thanks for posting that, we can all relate man. Buddy was a warrior going thru those treatments, he looks damn good as the ring bearer! And dying peacefully between you and your wife, as sad as it is, is so much better than having to take Buddy to the vet...you should be very grateful. GL.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You did everything you could for him, so sorry for you and your Buddy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

34, sorry for your loss. The amount of pain in the loss is a direct correlation to the amount of caring and closeness in life. It sounds like you did everything you could to give Buddy a good life, and that's the best you can do by a dog.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Thanks for all the posts everyone. It has been a long 36 hours, but have definitely been able to start accepting our lives going forward without Buddy.

The hardest part to accept was that he was so young (just a little over 5 1/2) and you have an internal struggle between cherishing the memories you had and feeling empty over the memories that were taken away from you from his disease.

Either way, our two years together were very special and my wife and I will always have that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Had to put down our dog, Anna, on Aug. 14. One day she's playing fetch, the next she can barely walk. Suddenly developed a limp. We thought she pulled a muscle or broke a bone. Then the seizures started. Blood wasn't circulating. She very cold when we got her to the vet. Diagnosis: cancerous tumor near the heart was leaking fluids and compressing the organ. Poor prospects if not hooked up to IV. So for the third time I watched a pet dog take its last breath. Doesn't get easier. Don't think I can do it again. First one was named Buddy. Anna was the one my kids really connected with. Super dog.

This was right before we left for vacation. It just really sucked when she didn't greet us upon our return. Big hole in the house.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sorry to hear that gumby.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

G., I'm very sorry, and I know what you mean about not wanting to do it again. I didn't, either, but my wife did, so I'm left to face my repeated inability to really appreciate what George Carlin called "acquiring a future personal tragedy" until it happens eventually. We can look at in all kinds of philosophical ways, but it really is just flat-out awful, and the decision to do it again or not just can't be right or wrong.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

All these dog death stories are depressing me. Sorry for your loss too Gumby.

So here's a good story....

I wrote about our latest rescued dog at TOS, but to quickly recap:

A year ago last March we adapted / rescued a dog that was less then 24 hours away from being destroyed. He was 1 1/2 years old, and was picked up after he was hit by a car. After we adapted him, we discovered besides the car accident, he was also filled with over 40 buck shot pellets, had glacoma and was blind in 1 eye and also had valley fever.

I did say this was a good story right?

He's now 3 years old, fully recovered from his accident, the pellets are still there (I have an x-ray pic to prove it!) but they aren't doing any damage, we had his bad eye removed (glacoma is very painful, he's so much happier now) and he is now valley fever-free!

He is an awesome loving dog and he is so good with my kids.

Here he is:

And my kids named him Wilbur after a certain Wildcat Mascot.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fantastic!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

A, I'd been waiting to see updated pics of Wilbur after his rehab.

Looks like a totally awesome dog--you did good!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Had to put down our dog, Anna, on Aug. 14. One day she's playing fetch, the next she can barely walk. Suddenly developed a limp. We thought she pulled a muscle or broke a bone. Then the seizures started. Blood wasn't circulating. She very cold when we got her to the vet. Diagnosis: cancerous tumor near the heart was leaking fluids and compressing the organ. Poor prospects if not hooked up to IV. So for the third time I watched a pet dog take its last breath. Doesn't get easier. Don't think I can do it again. First one was named Buddy. Anna was the one my kids really connected with. Super dog.

This was right before we left for vacation. It just really sucked when she didn't greet us upon our return. Big hole in the house.
So sorry for your loss. For what it's worth, I've found that as time passes, the happy memories take the place of the pain of loss, but it sounds like you know this situation all too well. God bless.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I can't even have a dog because of my allergies. My doctors insist that I never walk inside a house where there's a dog, and that my system can't even handle "associating with people who have dogs" because I could get in trouble from coming into contact with the air around their clothes. Cats are even worse for me. But I choose to not be a bubble boy.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I seriously don't know how I'd live without a dog.

Wife, kids... I would be fine with or without them.

But a dog.... no way.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Yep. My dog is my kid. :-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAdevil wrote:Yep. My dog is my kid. :-)
Alieberman wrote:I seriously don't know how I'd live without a dog.

Wife, kids... I would be fine with or without them.

But a dog.... no way.
Seriously. I lost a dog last December to a neighbor's pit, and previously lost our long time family dog to cancer, but as soon as the mourning is over I jump right back on the dog wagon again.

Recently 2 of my kids moved to San Diego about a year apart.

Going to get any more kids?

Nope.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Thanks, guys.

That update was very helpful, Ari. Great story.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Well, instead of a dog or a cat, I have a parrot. I don't recommend it because parrots aren't pets. They're wild animals that live in your people house. It's like having a raccoon or a lion. Except much more intelligent, which makes it even harder. More like having a dolphin in a pool in your living room. Most people who get a parrot have to give it up because they were in over their heads. But nothing like having an animal that talks to you, and laughs when you tell a joke.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

When you came home after a shit day a kid will rarely console you, but a dog always will.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:When you came home after a shit day a kid will rarely console you, but a dog always will.
When you come home to a parrot after a shit day, the parrot gives you shit for having left all day. And more vocally than a crazy girlfriend.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:When you came home after a shit day a kid will rarely console you, but a dog always will.
When you come home to a parrot after a shit day, the parrot gives you shit for having left all day. And more vocally than a crazy girlfriend.
Sounds wonderful.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Sounds wonderful.
Then he yells, "I'm a good parrot, mama!" At which point I say with full justification, "I'm not your mama."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My daughter moved out and left me her pet, the anti-parrot known as a desert tortoise. That is also her watermelon plant she is eating. So take that Katie!

Desert tortoises don't care if you ignore them, don't take them for walks or care if you feed them or not. Our tortoise runs loose in the back yard and the best part is she hibernates from October to March in her burrow.

Q: How can you prove that a dog is truly a man's best friend?

A: Put your dog and your wife in the trunk of the car for an hour. When you open the trunk, who is really happy to see you?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's cruel that we all out-live our pets, all of us pet owners having to deal with similar stories as to what many have shared here (more than once or twice for many of us)

But it's true what Spaceman said. As time passes we only only remember the good moments.

So go to your local animal rescue and adopt a lovable rescue. It's good for your health- both physical and mental.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Alieberman wrote:It's cruel that we all out-live our pets, all of us pet owners having to deal with similar stories as to what many have shared here (more than once or twice for many of us)

But it's true what Spaceman said. As time passes we only only remember the good moments.

So go to your local animal rescue and adopt a lovable rescue. It's good for your health- both physical and mental.
Hopefully. :?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Went to mow the back and reflexively grabbed the pooper scooper. I was distressed at the absence of shit. What better testament to how they crawl into your hearts?

(If this thread doesn't lure Schnebly, nothing will).