Vehicle Purchase Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Vehicle Purchase Thread

Post by Catintheheat »

I am going to be purchasing a new vehicle soon. I am going to Patriot Subaru on Wednesday. I am going to look at an Impreza Premium, Crosstrek premium, and a Forester, base level. All these vehicles are AWD. AWD is almost mandatory in snow country. And the safety features on Subaru's is incredible, especially the Forester Limited. I'd like to get insight with anyone who owns one of these vehicles. I am lucky that this dealership is the largest in New England, so they will have a constant incoming supply. Another Subaru dealer close by said that the earliest I could possibly buy a vehicle is in October, and probably not for 6 months. They only have 2 Ascents on the lot.

I created this thread because I like to hear people's thoughts on different cars. I am hearing luxury cars are outrageously priced.
azcat49

Re: Vehicle Purchase Thread

Post by azcat49 »

I won’t buy any car that houses the water pump internally (Ford does this) as bearing failure can lead to total engine failure.

I also try and stay away from vehicles that use a rubber timing belt. The heat of the desert can lead to it tearing and there goes your valves. Basically new engine time.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My daughter has a late model Subaru Forester they bought used. She and her husband really like it for their family with 2 toddlers. Only thing they didn't like was that the muffler and tailpipe fell off a month or so after they bought it due to rust and it was a very expensive repair. This is in Japan.

Don't know if they salt the roads in VT or not. They sure did in Michigan when I lived there.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

My brother's ex bought a Subaru. It was a really nice car, but the CVT (basically a replacement for the transmission)m was absolute trash and blew up at 80k miles and again at 130k. CVTs are trash in general, though, so I don't think it was Subaru specific.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

My Father-in-Law has a Forester. He generally likes it but its had some issues. He bought it new and it had transmission problems from the start but luckily it was under warranty still. Also, he is a mechanic but hates working on the boxer style engine. Its just a pain to get to things like spark plugs and such. If you're not doing your own maintenance this obviously isn't a problem though.

I would say AWD isn't mandatory for snowy climates. Lived in CT for a couple of years with a Toyota Corolla and had very little problem. FWD was good enough. I got 2 snow tires and put them on the front during the winter and switched them to the back for the summer. Plus, places that expect snow, like New England, do a pretty good job plowing the roads.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I paid down for a Subaru Legacy and got hurt. I have been on crutches for the last few days (no manual transmissions for this 62 year old. I like manual transmission but they don't work well with a foot problem. The place I am buying my Subaru advertises MSRP and that includes Shipping and destination. Not negotiable, and I live it. No surprises. I also really like their Vehicle Service Contract. I won't drive much so will not cost me as much. I want Subaru parts and willing to pay for it. My auto insurance will pay for Subaru parts too when in an accident. Subaru is the vehicle of choice for northern New England and rightly so. I can stop at the peak of Winthrop Hill, and let Eyesight takeover. It will have control of all 4 wheels. I can let it drive down an icy steep hill and it will decide which wheels have traction and adjust accordingly, and the appropriate speed. When I trust it I won't have any anxiety when letting the vehicle monitor itself. Of course, I am not afraid of technology, I endorse it.

I have always loved being on the cutting edge, and if I can afford it I will stay there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nice to get exactly what you wanted.

Reading that, I was thinking how few Subaru cars and dealers are here in the Cali central coast. With no snow, and very little rain, the need for AWD vehicles are much less out here.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

How times have changed

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

84Cat wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:47 am How times have changed

This guy is a used car dealer and up front. I've been following him for about 1/2 year. Everyone knew this was coming last summer. Dealers got greedy, especially big truck dearlers. Ford, Chevy, GMC, and Dodge.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

This thread needs Cal Worthington and his dog spot.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ Cal came to mind first thing too!

There is only one new 2023 Ford Maverick within 100 miles of me, and it's $5000 over MSRP.

Some trucks are selling. Looks like there are 3 Mavericks within 100 miles of Tucson, none in metro Tucson.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Automakers are pausing factory lines to help keep inventory low and prices high

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... 0d86&ei=30
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:37 pm Automakers are pausing factory lines to help keep inventory low and prices high

Not going to work.Increased inventory isn’t the problem. Inflation rates and too many people upside down on their loans is the problem. They can’t trade in their vehicles and banks are tightening qualifications for loans. Repos are skyrocketing because buyers can’t afford payments, or won’t pay because the vehicle isn’t worth it.
Last edited by Catintheheat on Wed May 03, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It’s the famous Mile of Cars from Used Cars.

They need to go across the street and blow up trucks for an ad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHZWdFVyyQ
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Catintheheat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:26 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:37 pm Automakers are pausing factory lines to help keep inventory low and prices high

No going to work.Increased inventory isn’t the problem. Inflation rates and too many people upside down on their loans is the problem. They can’t trade in their vehicles and banks are tightening qualifications for loans. Repos are skyrocketing because buyers can’t afford payments, or won’t pay because the vehicle isn’t worth it.
Yup. One the few kinds of consumer demand the FED can influence is that which relies heavily on credit cost.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Just bought a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 side by side. It's my third SxS, but real excited to get this one. I needed something that could launch the boat and be a good daily driver and trail machine at our lake house.

Supposed to be delivered today. Yippee.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:01 am Just bought a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 side by side. It's my third SxS, but real excited to get this one. I needed something that could launch the boat and be a good daily driver and trail machine at our lake house.

I've never had a Honda product that was anything but stellar. Generators, quads, bikes, cars, everything. If Honda made a 1 ton truck it would rule the known universe. Have fun!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:24 am
Carcassdragger wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:01 am Just bought a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 side by side. It's my third SxS, but real excited to get this one. I needed something that could launch the boat and be a good daily driver and trail machine at our lake house.

I've never had a Honda product that was anything but stellar. Generators, quads, bikes, cars, everything. If Honda made a 1 ton truck it would rule the known universe. Have fun!
Thanks. For just pure trail riding (I have no desire to haul ass) I like the Kawasaki KRX. They're just well designed and will climb almost straight up. But they arent designed for towing nor can they easily hold a dog and an ice chest in addition to wifey and I.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:28 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:24 am

Thanks. For just pure trail riding (I have no desire to haul ass) I like the Kawasaki KRX. They're just well designed and will climb almost straight up. But they arent designed for towing nor can they easily hold a dog and an ice chest in addition to wifey and I.
My last bike for woodswork was a Rokon, a 2X2. Mine had a Honda engine but they also came with Kohler engines. Check it out:

~ Wilhoit's Law
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Very informative video on the state of the car industry.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Very interesting thread and why car dealers hate ev's. I realize this isn't in the politics area so if there is a better place to put it feel free
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Interesting how some Teslas are made in Texas, but they need to be shipped out of state before a Texan can buy them, due to dealer protection laws.

But with CA going EV only soon, good to see the changes.