Fitness: What are you working on?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: Fitness: What are you working on?

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:42 pm Why are side planks so damn hard? I can't get past 90 seconds to save my life.
Just some friendly competition to encourage each other. I did 95 seconds on both sides today. Used elbow as a base. Not sure I could do a minute with full arm as my left shoulder is a little messed up right now
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:42 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:42 pm Why are side planks so damn hard? I can't get past 90 seconds to save my life.
Just some friendly competition to encourage each other. I did 95 seconds on both sides today. Used elbow as a base. Not sure I could do a minute with full arm as my left shoulder is a little messed up right now
Yeah I've been lingering longer on the side planks/elbow base. Funny thing is my dominant (right) side is my weaker side. Too much use, apparently. Try some dead hangs and see how long you can go at first. Getting up to 60 seconds was a bear, and then it got easier pretty quick.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:02 pm
Yeah I've been lingering longer on the side planks/elbow base. Funny thing is my dominant (right) side is my weaker side. Too much use, apparently. Try some dead hangs and see how long you can go at first. Getting up to 60 seconds was a bear, and then it got easier pretty quick.
Ok, I got to 60 seconds but it wasn't comfortable at all. I've been doing pull-ups for 3 years and I am up to 3 sets of 6. I remember when I started doing the pull-ups I couldn't last 10 seconds on the dead hang.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just completed my 1st ever 8 mile run this morning. And I feel really good after!

Next up... 1/2 Marathon
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:32 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:02 pm
Ok, I got to 60 seconds but it wasn't comfortable at all. I've been doing pull-ups for 3 years and I am up to 3 sets of 6. I remember when I started doing the pull-ups I couldn't last 10 seconds on the dead hang.
Stepped it up to 2 minutes per side plank, but I had to cheat by doing the sides first and then doing the dead hang to give my shoulders a rest before finishing with the front plank. Up to 3 minutes and 15 seconds on the front plank and I wonder how much more benefit there is to get by going past 4 minutes, which would be a real bitch after the two long side planks.

Also have increased those Athlene-X transverse dips.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Achieved 2023 fitness goal of spending 100 hrs exercising at gym; 108 hrs

Averaging an estimated 45 min per trip to gym = 144 times at gym

Jogging approx 2.25 miles each time at gym = 324 total miles
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:57 am Achieved 2023 fitness goal of spending 100 hrs exercising at gym; 108 hrs

What app did you use to track this?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

The Forest App.

An app marketed more as a "focusing app" than for its time management functions which I like more. Forest locks out your phone for preset stretches you select between 10 min and 2 hours. If you achieve your time goal a digital tree is planted in a forest. If not (and you check your phone), the tree dies. What I like is assigning lockouts to different time categorizations. For example I also tracked 170 hrs reading in 2023.

For as much as I like and use Forest, I'm a bigger fan of its lesser known counterpart - The SleepTown App.

SleepTown similarly locks out your phone, but overnight. Instead of a digital tree, a building is awarded each morning you get through the night without checking your phone during the sleep duration you set. My overnight lockout time is 915pm to 530am. It's done wonders to break me of the bad habit of mindlessly checking my phone when I might stir at 2 or 3am.

I've gladly used both Apps for three years now and have recommended to MANY others. Both Apps have combined to knock my average daily iPhone screen time down to 2hrs & 12m per day in 2023.

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:57 am Achieved 2023 fitness goal of spending 100 hrs exercising at gym; 108 hrs

Interesting app. I've planted +/- 2.5 million seedlings the old fashioned way and I'd be happy if 20% of them lived. Good job on the fitness regimen. My trip to NZ set me back more than I had hoped. :oops:

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Nicely done!

I just added up all my running stats for 2023- 517 Miles run- A new yearly record.

Also- on Jan 14th.... I'm racing in my 1st half marathon
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

From my Strava app:

313 hours spent walking, strength training & cycling
2118 miles
433 activities

I would say the mileage is a little low for me as I didn't go on many long distance rides this year. The longest was a jdrf charity ride of 60 miles. I have a 75 year old online friend who rides 10,000 miles/year so I have a good model to chase. I don't think she does strength training which I think is equally as important as we start to age. I don't want to be an old frail person. My favorite metric though is resting heart rate. Mine has been 44-51 throughout the year.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Here are mine (also from Strava):

215 hours (mainly cycling, with boxing, running and hiking in there as well)
2838 miles
142,612 feel of elevation gain

Like 84Cat, not a lot of really long rides this year, but pretty frequent - Long was around the Loop here in Tucson. Just trying to make sure I can still do the stuff I want to as I get older.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:11 pm From my Strava app:

313 hours spent walking, strength training & cycling
2118 miles
433 activities

I would say the mileage is a little low for me as I didn't go on many long distance rides this year. The longest was a jdrf charity ride of 60 miles. I have a 75 year old online friend who rides 10,000 miles/year so I have a good model to chase. I don't think she does strength training which I think is equally as important as we start to age. I don't want to be an old frail person. My favorite metric though is resting heart rate. Mine has been 44-51 throughout the year.
Yup, mine starts with a 4 as well. Whenever you go under anesthesia, warn your anesthesiologist about it because it can freak them out. Also, as we age, if ever you let your electrolytes get low that low resting rate can come back to bite you and cause very brief positional hypotension: wooziness if you stand up real fast or jump out of bed when the smoke detectors decide it's time to torment you. No good deed goes unpunished.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:11 pm I don't want to be an old frail person.
I think the key to this is trying to maintain muscle mass and range of motion. It helps to keep the skeleton and connective tissue operating as a virtuous system. Currently I'm working on internal hip rotation and my shoulder range of motion. The work never ends, but consider the alternative. LOL

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:27 pm
84Cat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:11 pm I don't want to be an old frail person.
I think the key to this is trying to maintain muscle mass and range of motion. It helps to keep the skeleton and connective tissue operating as a virtuous system. Currently I'm working on internal hip rotation and my shoulder range of motion. The work never ends, but consider the alternative. LOL
My recommendation: be sure you have good genes.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I made a drunken bet with a group of friends that I will dunk by age 40 and I now have a year and a half until collection time. Had a major set back when a sting ray jabbed me in the achilles last summer. Wound up in a hospital where no one spoke english and an infection that urgent care had to correct. Then I got clotheslined by an invisible steel fence on a sweet turn around jumper that I airballed. Right rotator cuff injury that's still lingering but manageable.

Its not that far fetched but I've never dunked before sooo. Played all the sports growing up and BBall thru HS but I never did any lower body workouts. Been stretching, mountain biking, jogging and hitting Chuze 3x a week, plus sand VBall 2x a week. Just joined a private gym that has an indoor half court and the trainer is focusing on plyometrics, HIIT, boxing, and range of motion/explosive workouts for golf. Had my first session 2 days ago and walking is now a chore. He kicked my ass but was impressed I made it thru the full hour without hesitation. Mix those in once a week with Chuze, biking and cardio/diet and I should be ready for some attempts by the summer. Want to lose 10lbs and I need about 9" on my vertical to accomplish this.

Oh and if I don't dunk, its a travel voucher bet not hard cash. We go on a trip and the 7 doubting friends each get $100 off. I get cash.

5 minute range of motion I do in the mornings:
https://youtu.be/sOuKeVuej9E?si=tealj8ox_xYybLUm&t=161
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Check out Knees Over Toes Guy on YouTube.

He’s got a training program for old guys who want to dunk.
George Costanza

Post by George Costanza »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:45 pm Check out Knees Over Toes Guy on YouTube.

He’s got a training program for old guys who want to dunk.
Amateur

Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I think I've overcome/figured out a hip malady. Thought it was bursitis but prolly was strength imbalances in the various muscles in the whole group. Presented as acute TFL muscle pain that flared up during/after intense elliptical sessions and/or pumping up hill. Abductor/adductor, hamstring, hip rotation exercises and exclusive use to the stationary bike have all but eliminated the pain. Laying off long enough to rid the inflammation set me back BMI-wise, and between that and the NZ trip I went back above 190 lbs. But this morning I'm under it and able to do my heart rate routine without any problem. I have better fat/water/muscle ratios than before (in August) and I'm sleeping better. When Trump makes me crazy and/or the Wildcats lose to a lesser opponent, I go to the gym: oxytocin, dopamine, serotonin, endorphins are wonderful things.

~ Wilhoit's Law