Fitness: What are you working on?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Fitness: What are you working on?

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I want to work out and not kill myself. So 5 days a week doing cardio in which I try to get my heart rate up to max 165 and average in the 150s for 30-45 minutes on the elliptical I have to stretch or I get hip bursitis. That's really the easy part. The cool thing is a new way to ameliorate the remnant spinal glitches from a lifetime of grunt labor: 60 second dead hangs.

I used to have such strong hands, and I still have Popeye forearms, but hanging a 195 lb. frame for a minute is really, really hard. I worked up to it and each session over a month or so provided a great spinal release pop that has really helped my overall spinal health. That and 3 minute main planks followed by 2 90 second sides planks, which shouldn't be SO FUCKING HARD ..... but they are.

Basic resistance training rounds it out.

It seems like I do it every damn day.

It's probably 5 days a week on average.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Re: Fitness: What are you working on?

Post by 84Cat »

Dove, that's a pretty high heart rate for a guy in his 60's. You might be going too hard. I try to train 3-4 times a week at zone 2 which is 105-120 beats with 20 minutes at 150 plus. I also do strength training 2-3 times/week plus stretching. I started with pull ups and now I go to the gym and do all the machines along with some body weight stuff. I've been adding stuff over the last 3 years to where it's now 40-50 minutes each session. Also try to do the sauna 30-50 minutes/week. Dr Peter Attia is a great resource for longevity related exercise information. Anyway, exercise is the magic pill that most people are looking for when it comes to health so whatever you're doing, keep it up!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Before covid and now after. I've been going to the gym more than ever before in my adult life. 2-3 times per week. I do strength training, including some form of pull-ups, push-ups, curls and arm presses. I always finish up with 1 mile on the elliptical getting my heart rate up to at least 160 each time.

In the winter, I officiate a high school sport which requires long weekend hours and lots of movement up and down.

My blood pressure is now higher than its ever been and my bad cholesterol readings have not dropped. I don't get this since I almost never eat beef and eat lots and lots of chicken and have eaten this way for a couple of years.

I do drink, all-be- it less than I used to. Maybe a few shots of bourbon a week.

Trying to mix in some weight loss now. I'm 60 and 5'6 and about 195, so I need to lose about 20.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I probably overdo the cardio but since I always have it seems normal to me. Maybe I should moderate, but I sleep better if I push it and I have become kinda sorta addicted to the endorphins.

At 65 there's well underway that awful cycle in which body mass wants to increase while muscle mass wants to decrease. I'm determined to fight that to the end. Besides, having good all-over muscle tone just helps keep the skeleton in place.

CG- Maybe switch to fish instead of chicken, and your good cholesterol will rise and thus improve your ratios. Also, I see my BP improve when I work out to the point of fluid loss. Sweating is remarkably beneficial, I think. 84's use of the sauna is wise, and in a few months the new fitness facility here will have one. I can't wait! Nature's diuretic has to be good fer ya.

I doubt a few shots a week makes any difference at all. Hell I drink more than that in wine-equivalent each day. *hic*
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

That's interesting. In years past, I'm usually in the field a bit this time of year and where I live and work, that means sweating alot. My job has morphed more and more into submitting data and minutia with almost no field work. Indeed lack of sweating enough could be an issue. Thanks!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My current routine:

5k or more run per week- 3 times per week
Swimming - at least 1200 yards- 2 times per week
Basic core workout- sit-ups, pushups, squats, lunges- 2 times per week
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:58 am My current routine:

Damn. This is alot. How old R U?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:16 am
Alieberman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:58 am My current routine:

Damn. This is alot. How old R U?
Turn 50 in December… I’ve been on this routine since my 49th birthday… and I’m down 23 pounds since I started. I’m in the best shape of my life
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Why are side planks so damn hard? I can't get past 90 seconds to save my life.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

It's funny that this thread was resurrected. I joined Planet Fitness this week. I wanted a no frills gym. I've been a member of many gyms over the years like LA Fitness, Bally Fitness, Youfit, Planet Fitness, and Orange Theory Fitness. I joined Planet Fitness because it is inexpensive, no frills, and has what I need. I want to work upper and lower body workouts. I need the resistance training because I am 63 years old. I eat a healthy diet (mostly, I get tempted). And I wanted to add exercise to my diet. I know, with experience, than in one month exercising will be fun and enjoyable. It may not make me lose weight, but has so many other benefits like more mental clarity. And the ability to live life with more flexibility. As an example, when I wasn't exercising and I dropped something, I had to bend down to pick it up. Getting back up was a chore. With exercise that isn't evening mentioning. Exercising pays dividends. I am close to retiring and when I eat right and exercise, won't have to work, do what I want, and able to do this for many years (probably).

I have some problems with my hips when I stretch. I am wondering what I can do with exercise to make that part of my body better. I believe diet and minimizing inflammation has a lot to do with living a healthy life is important. I've learned physical therapists are Gods.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:42 pm Why are side planks so damn hard? I can't get past 90 seconds to save my life.
Move up to a coffee table or dining room table to place your arm.

Once you build up strength, move down.

I’ve got my mom doing that and it’s working for her. She’s older than you and recovering from a fall and hip surgery.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What is the best exercise to do to battle love handles? That's the fat on me that just won't go away....
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Ha Cat - I'm with Planet Fitness too because I'm not a fitness fanatic and didn't want to throw money away if I didn't attend as much as I wanted to - which happened during COVID. I also broke (should say shattered) my right femur back in 2019 right where it connects with my hip so I struggle with exercising that portion of my body still today.

I gained a bunch of weight but now go to the gym 3-4x a week for about 90 minutes a session. I do half cardio - fast walk on the treadmill for 3 or 3.5 miles - and then hit the weights and/or exercise machines to try and tone my chest, shoulders, arms and legs as much as possible. I also try to do at least 200-250 sit-ups and/or crunches to try to get rid of the love handles. Then try and eat better each day especially breakfast (oatmeal or banana) and lunch (yogurt or salad) and then have a normal dinner watching proportions.

I've lost about 20 lbs in little over 8 weeks which I think is pretty good. BUT, need to continue the routine because if I slip it will really suck.

It sucks getting old that's all I will say.

AL - for love handles it's really hard. I have that problem too plus a bit of a man boob issue. I do crunches to try and get rid of them including having my elbow crunch up and touch my opposite knee. I think they call it a side oblique crunch. There are others you can google and try. I know on my Planet Fitness app they provide free workout videos that target areas like that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I do those crunches where I touch elbow to opposite knee. These things are just stubborn as hell.

I have done great in my weight loss / healthy eating routine. I'm down to 157 pounds. My weight is pretty much perfect. I lost my belly and man boobs... the only thing I haven't been able to put much of a dent in is these damn love handles....
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I have a pull up/dip machine and that has got my mid section looking very fit. I do these type of exercises for my stomach area

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

wyo-cat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:09 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:42 pm Why are side planks so damn hard? I can't get past 90 seconds to save my life.
Move up to a coffee table or dining room table to place your arm.

Once you build up strength, move down.

I’ve got my mom doing that and it’s working for her. She’s older than you and recovering from a fall and hip surgery.
I'm hoping my problem is my routine: since I've added some other exercises I haven't been doing the planks everyday. I don't want to reduce the intensity of the side planks because I'm getting good core results. Sorta hurts my elbows though. I got boney elbows.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:23 am What is the best exercise to do to battle love handles? That's the fat on me that just won't go away....
IIRC the old saying is abs and such are made in the kitchen. I expect that's true of any place you have stubborn fat retention. Spot reduction just doesn't happen.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:29 am I have a pull up/dip machine and that has got my mid section looking very fit. I do these type of exercises for my stomach area

When earlier I saw his move there I started doing it as part of my assisted chin-ups since you're right there already. It's another great way along with the dead hang to decompress the spine.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Does anyone have a bead on the accuracy of the basic consumer home scale that spits out %s of body fat, water, and muscle?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Running up down escalators.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The new workout facility here is supposed to have a stair machine. Can't wait!

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:05 am The new workout facility here is supposed to have a stair machine. Can't wait!
I remember years ago when I was at Bally's fitness and I watched 3 ladies take the elevator to the 2nd floor and get on the stair machines.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:05 am The new workout facility here is supposed to have a stair machine. Can't wait!
The stair machine at my gym is similar to going up an elevator and it kicks my ass.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

They really do kick ass! Our club in Sedona had one and every time I finished a routine it looked like a hazmat zone. I think the key is not to hold onto the rails or bars. It makes you balance and it eliminates cheating with the upper body. It was amusing to watch some women draping themselves all over the rails and turning the speed up. LOL. They might as well suspend themselves weightless from a ceiling harness.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

At my age the step machines are knee killers. Have to stick to the elliptical or treadmill.

Side note for boomers: For those of us with supplemental insurance plans, the Silver Sneakers program pays 100% of gym membership costs.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:57 pm At my age the step machines are knee killers. Have to stick to the elliptical or treadmill.

Side note for boomers: For those of us with supplemental insurance plans, the Silver Sneakers program pays 100% of gym membership costs.
I thought that was only for Medicare Advantage plans, not Medicare Supplement. I plan to get plan G or N.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:51 pm
Merkin wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:57 pm At my age the step machines are knee killers. Have to stick to the elliptical or treadmill.

I thought that was only for Medicare Advantage plans, not Medicare Supplement. I plan to get plan G or N.
To be honest, I am not really sure. I have Blue Shield Medicare PPO which is provided by my former employer which I thought was supplemental.

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Help

What is SilverSneakers?

SilverSneakers is a fitness and wellness program offered at no additional cost to seniors 65+ on eligible Medicare plans that helps you get active, get fit, and connect with others.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm down to 190lbs. rounded #s: 25% fat; 33% muscle; 42% water (don't know organs fit into this breakdown). Planks are easier and getting a bit longer. The dead hang is really helping decompress my spine/thorax, and I'm up to a minute 45 seconds. I might even be back to a touch over 6' tall again, ha! BMI isn't a perfect metric, but I'd like to get under 25.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:13 pm I'm down to 190lbs. rounded #s: 25% fat; 33% muscle; 42% water (don't know organs fit into this breakdown). Planks are easier and getting a bit longer. The dead hang is really helping decompress my spine/thorax, and I'm up to a minute 45 seconds. I might even be back to a touch over 6' tall again, ha! BMI isn't a perfect metric, but I'd like to get under 25.
You're only 25 pounds lighter than Trump. Step your game up!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:15 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:13 pm I'm down to 190lbs. rounded #s: 25% fat; 33% muscle; 42% water (don't know organs fit into this breakdown). Planks are easier and getting a bit longer. The dead hang is really helping decompress my spine/thorax, and I'm up to a minute 45 seconds. I might even be back to a touch over 6' tall again, ha! BMI isn't a perfect metric, but I'd like to get under 25.
You're only 25 pounds lighter than Trump. Step your game up!
:lol: The reason he went to a bail bondsman instead of posting the cash himself is he had to drop the $200k on bribing the dude who publishes height and weight.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Went for my first long run in a long time today. 10miles, 10:30min/mile.

Thinking of running the California marathon in Dec. need to run the fat away. Would love to be in the 160s again.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:58 pm Went for my first long run in a long time today. 10miles, 10:30min/mile.

Thinking of running the California marathon in Dec. need to run the fat away. Would love to be in the 160s again.
JFC CST, you must be about 20 years old. If I tried to run even 3 miles I'd be dead for 3 weeks.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

My routine is:

As many pull ups, chin ups or arms spread pull-ups as I can do( usually about 12) then 1 set each of three different curls of some kind. (Exact type differs each work out) 40 to 60 declined, inclined, or straight push ups. 1 set each of 2 different kinds of triceps (type varies each work out), 1 set of some kind of abs ( I hate ab workouts) then 1 more set each of biceps and triceps of some type. I finish up with 1 mile on the elliptical and doing this 2-3 times per week. I'm 60 and often feel sore. Not killing myself but it seems to work ok for me.

One thing I've noticed is that every time I seem to plateau on muscle growth and try something new-which usually consists of a new way to isolate a muscle or slow down my reps, I seem to resume a bit of growth.

My buddy has a bighorn sheep tag for this winter, so probably going to do a lot of steep walking/semi-climbing this winter. I've had major knee surgery to both my knees and had some real problems last winter after officiating a high school sport all season. I've been mixing in some stair steps (20 stories) each workout lately and to my surprise, my knees seem to be shaping up.

I'm still at least 30 pounds overweight but certainly have lost some pounds lately using intermittent fasting. It works.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm doing an 8 mile race on Labor Day... My longest race yet... working my way up to a 1/2 marathon
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:28 pm
CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:58 pm Went for my first long run in a long time today. 10miles, 10:30min/mile.

JFC CST, you must be about 20 years old. If I tried to run even 3 miles I'd be dead for 3 weeks.
Lol…thanks dude.

Never been a runner but can rip off 10k’s around 9:30 when I’m in training shape for mountaineering.

But I’m chairing a regional conference that thankfully closes next week and I get my life back. Unfortunately I packed it on a bit during the process. Haven’t been under 165 since college, but would like to try to get back there.

Took lot of effort and time to get here, might as well do the same to get back. For my health and kids sake as well. Got about 20lb to go.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:07 am I'm doing an 8 mile race on Labor Day... My longest race yet... working my way up to a 1/2 marathon
Nice! Good Luck! 1/2 is a good distance to work for.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“Fitness: What are you working on?”

I’m working on fit’n’ess third hot dog in my belly.*

*a real bad joke that is marginally better heard than read
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I've been hiding from exercise. I'm in the fitness protection program.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My philosophy is "No pain...hey no pain!"
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'm trying to get in shape for dune season. I'm doing pushups, planks, situps, squats, toe raises, and lunges every day. I am in pretty bad shape now, but I think I will be pretty good by late October.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

ASUCatFan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:46 pm I'm trying to get in shape for dune season. I'm doing pushups, planks, situps, squats, toe raises, and lunges every day. I am in pretty bad shape now, but I think I will be pretty good by late October.
In shape for dune season?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:51 pm
ASUCatFan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:46 pm I'm trying to get in shape for dune season. I'm doing pushups, planks, situps, squats, toe raises, and lunges every day. I am in pretty bad shape now, but I think I will be pretty good by late October.
It's probably my favorite hobby. Riding ATVs in the sand dunes. Last year I went into it in pretty bad shape, I had trouble controlling my vehicle, and I hurt my leg as a result. I'd like to be better prepared this year.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUCatFan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:39 pm
It's probably my favorite hobby. Riding ATVs in the sand dunes. Last year I went into it in pretty bad shape, I had trouble controlling my vehicle, and I hurt my leg as a result. I'd like to be better prepared this year.
I think I know what you mean. I had a buddy, one biiiig dude who was a virtuoso on a dirt bike. He got way out of shape and instead of using his core strength to control the bike and the changing forces of the ride he put his foot down and blew out his knee essentially for life. He then gained a ton of weight and eventually died of a cardiac event in his mid 50s. I think most of us under-appreciate the physical requirements of skilled bike riding: slow AND fast twitch muscles, hand/eye coordination, and endurance. It sounds like you're serious about your craft and the discipline it requires. It will well serve and challenge you. Good luck and ride well!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:42 pm
I think I know what you mean. I had a buddy, one biiiig dude who was a virtuoso on a dirt bike. He got way out of shape and instead of using his core strength to control the bike and the changing forces of the ride he put his foot down and blew out his knee essentially for life. He then gained a ton of weight and eventually died of a cardiac event in his mid 50s. I think most of us under-appreciate the physical requirements of skilled bike riding: slow AND fast twitch muscles, hand/eye coordination, and endurance. It sounds like you're serious about your craft and the discipline it requires. It will well serve and challenge you. Good luck and ride well!
I grew up in Yuma and spent many, many days and nights riding three wheelers and quads in the dunes. Just never heard of getting in shape to do it. Good idea though.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:44 pm
I grew up in Yuma and spent many, many days and nights riding three wheelers and quads in the dunes. Just never heard of getting in shape to do it. Good idea though.
I'm just not as young as I used to be, and I ride a three wheeler most of the time. It takes a lot of body english to keep them upright and last year I struggled.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

ASUCatFan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:02 pm

I'm just not as young as I used to be, and I ride a three wheeler most of the time. It takes a lot of body english to keep them upright and last year I struggled.
Cool. I've ridden pretty much every three wheeler ever made out there. Those 250 Rs were just the best. I had an 86 200x too. Friend of mine had the Yamaha 2 stroke Tri Z 250. That was a nice bike. The 350 x was a beast but they should've built it it with a pro-link suspension.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:17 pm
ASUCatFan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:02 pm

Cool. I've ridden pretty much every three wheeler ever made out there. Those 250 Rs were just the best. I had an 86 200x too. Friend of mine had the Yamaha 2 stroke Tri Z 250. That was a nice bike. The 350 x was a beast but they should've built it it with a pro-link suspension.
I have an '83 200x that was my COVID project. I put a hot cam, high compression piston, and a big exhaust and carb on it and had the head ported. It still struggles in the sand. I'd really like an '85 or '86 250R but they have become collectible and out of my price range. I might just buy a Raptor and use the ATC as a backup ride, but the three wheelers are so much more comfortable driving through the ruts the side by sides leave.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

200x is a kick ass 3 wheeler.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

The 86 200x was a complete redesign. 6 gears. I rode the crap out of mine for many years and only changed the oil, plug, cleaned the filter and lubed the chain. Ran just as good when I sold it about the year 2000 as the day I bought it new. Loved that bike.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

My best friend has an '86 200x that I ride when I visit him in Denver. It's an awesome machine.