Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RichardCranium

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by RichardCranium »

Not for tonight, but I'm thinking bigly of doing the "Attica Tasting Menu" on Friday.

"Attica" is arguably the best restaurant in Australia. Period. I've been there a couple of times, and it just does not disappoint. There is theatre, sure, but absolutely no pretentiousness. There is also a 3 to 6 month waiting list for a booking. Except now of course - they are doing 'take-away' only for now.

Attica At Home Menu

They are also helping out the hospitality industry workers that are vital to Attica and all restaurants over Australia and Melbourne in particular. Their article explains what they are doing and why:

Attica Soup Project
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Tossed wings in baking powder, salt, and corn starch and let them sit on racks in the fridge all day to dry the skin out. Baked in the convection oven at 425 for about 50 mins flipping every 10 to 15 mins. Tossed in a sauce that's 2 parts butter (kerrygold) to 3 parts Frank's with a teaspoon or 2 of molasses.

Best damn wings I've ever eaten bar none.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Al pastor skewers grilled about an inch or so over a whole chimney of hot coals. Made some salsa Verde and avocado sauce too.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Serious eats chicken marsala

check symbol copy and paste
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Made a heap of snow crab, twice baked potatoes, and grilled corn for Femcat’s birthday.

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Fuck yes
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Kenji's best BBQ chicken

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Homemade korean bbq feast. galbi, ssamjang, and marinated cucumber banchan. Store bought kimchi. Amazing
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese

Swiss cheese and caramelized onions on grilled Italian bread.

This one was the wife’s (hence the salad). I had mine with Lobster Bisque. Fucking fantastic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:Image

This one was the wife’s (hence the salad). I had mine with Lobster Bisque. Fucking fantastic.
Grilled onions in a grilled cheese sounds excellent. Will try. Daughter and I just did the same this weekend. Finally cooled off and rained all day Saturday. We did a big crusty sourdough loaf with mixed sliced cheeses (and some good ham for me) with some decent (albeit canned) soups. Repeated Sunday night as well. Grilled in the cast iron skillet...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm having something similar, a Jack and Coke and half a bag of Bugles.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote:

Grilled onions in a grilled cheese sounds excellent. Will try. Daughter and I just did the same this weekend. Finally cooled off and rained all day Saturday. We did a big crusty sourdough loaf with mixed sliced cheeses (and some good ham for me) with some decent (albeit canned) soups. Repeated Sunday night as well. Grilled in the cast iron skillet...
Sounds amazing. Wanted to do sour dough but was wary of the kids saying the bread tasted “weird” so I chickened out.

Sautéed the onions with a dash of sugar and then tossed in some Italian parsley and Marsala wine right at the end. It was ... *chef’s kiss*

azgreg wrote:I'm having something similar, a Jack and Coke and half a bag of Bugles.
Pro Tip: Bugles are 10x more delicious when you put them on your fingers and pretend you’re the Predator.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tonight I made bacon wrapped chicken breasts, sautéed spinach, and Charlie’s potatoes (seasoned, sliced, and fried).

Sorry, no pic. But the whole family loved it. Made me feel like a hero.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Their really isn't a feeling quite like serving up something to people you care about that you made from scratch and you can tell they genuinely love it.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Food is love.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Since getting laid off I have become the head chef and meal planner at home.

Five months in and I’m starting to transition from “oh shit this is stressful as fuck” to “oh shit they’re going to love this” and it truly is a beautiful thing.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:Since getting laid off I have become the head chef and meal planner at home.

Five months in and I’m starting to transition from “oh shit this is stressful as fuck” to “oh shit they’re going to love this” and it truly is a beautiful thing.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:Since getting laid off I have become the head chef and meal planner at home.

scumdevils86 wrote:Their really isn't a feeling quite like serving up something to people you care about that you made from scratch and you can tell they genuinely love it.
The silver lining, if any, of Covid is that my 20yo daughter has been living with me since it all started. It's been quality make-up time for time lost when she was a teen post-divorce and preferring to live with her mother (I don't blame her) while I was shacked up with the crazy Canadian alcoholic lunatic.

We've eaten in almost exclusively these last several months and have only recently begun getting some take out from time to time. I've been cooking a ton, experimenting and riffing, and teaching her a few things here and there. It's been a joy to cook for her most nights. When a meal is served, she always does this little raise-the-roof happy food dance. It's my favorite part of the day and warms my heart.

Side note, also no pictures, my cast iron skillet cheeseburger game has become on-point perfection.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Imma need you to get on the pics. But that is great to hear. Food really does open all kinds of doors. Too bad it makes me fat and will kill me early. *shrug*
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Imma need you to get on the pics. But that is great to hear. Food really does open all kinds of doors. Too bad it makes me fat and will kill me early. *shrug*
Definitely gained some weight back with her here. I'm trying to get back in my no/low carb groove, but it's hard when she makes delicious undercooked brownies to pour over ice cream every couple of nights . . .

Probably have burgers this weekend - will photograph! Technique has generally been as follows:

1. Pre-formed grocery store burger patties - seasoned as you like. I don't like making burger patties and I feel like the pre-formed are more consistent, but by all means knock yourself out with your preferred grind, size, etc.
2. Soft bun. I've been using smallish King's Hawaiian burger buns. They're a little sweet and squishy. The patties seem to cook down to this size perfectly. Have used some soft brioche style buns too.
3. Smoking hot well-seasoned cast iron skillet with lid. Avocado oil (high smoke point and pretty neutral flavor) for lube.
4. Sear burgers approximately 2 minutes on each side for nice crust. After searing top with your cheese. Turn off flame/remove from heat and put the lid back on to finish cooking and melt cheese.
5. Arrange buns on top of cast iron lid to toast/warm while burgers continue to cook/sizzle inside for 3-5ish more minutes depending on your doneness preference, and while you get the crispy (frozen) french fries out of the oven, or pull together the salad or other sides and condiments.
6. Speaking of dying early - after plating the burger on bun, I like to ladle on some of the excess melted cheese and grease from the pool in the skillet.

Regardless of your doneness preference, med-rare to medium, etc., you should have a tasty burger with a crisp crust, but that is still soft and juicy inside on a soft steamy bun. Obviously, use the quality of ingredients that suit you. I've done this with Wagyu patties from a local cattle operation that were other-worldly.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

BearDown89 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Imma need you to get on the pics. But that is great to hear. Food really does open all kinds of doors. Too bad it makes me fat and will kill me early. *shrug*
Definitely gained some weight back with her here. I'm trying to get back in my no/low carb groove, but it's hard when she makes delicious undercooked brownies to pour over ice cream every couple of nights . . .

Probably have burgers this weekend - will photograph! Technique has generally been as follows:

1. Pre-formed grocery store burger patties - seasoned as you like. I don't like making burger patties and I feel like the pre-formed are more consistent, but by all means knock yourself out with your preferred grind, size, etc.
2. Soft bun. I've been using smallish King's Hawaiian burger buns. They're a little sweet and squishy. The patties seem to cook down to this size perfectly. Have used some soft brioche style buns too.
3. Smoking hot well-seasoned cast iron skillet with lid. Avocado oil (high smoke point and pretty neutral flavor) for lube.
4. Sear burgers approximately 2 minutes on each side for nice crust. After searing top with your cheese. Turn off flame/remove from heat and put the lid back on to finish cooking and melt cheese.
5. Arrange buns on top of cast iron lid to toast/warm while burgers continue to cook/sizzle inside for 3-5ish more minutes depending on your doneness preference, and while you get the crispy (frozen) french fries out of the oven, or pull together the salad or other sides and condiments.
6. Speaking of dying early - after plating the burger on bun, I like to ladle on some of the excess melted cheese and grease from the pool in the skillet.

Regardless of your doneness preference, med-rare to medium, etc., you should have a tasty burger with a crisp crust, but that is still soft and juicy inside on a soft steamy bun. Obviously, use the quality of ingredients that suit you. I've done this with Wagyu patties from a local cattle operation that were other-worldly.
You're going to Hell.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Made Sheet Pan Cajun Shrimp and Sausage tonight. Always a crowd pleaser.

SD, the only reason why I shy away from the pre-formed burgers is I’m afraid my grocery store uses old expiring meat to make them. So I just form my own even if they are inconsistent. Also, I make smaller burgers for the wife and my youngest while my oldest and I get 1/2 pounders.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:You're going to Hell.
And you're coming with me, ain't ya . . . :D
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

BearDown89 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:You're going to Hell.
And you're coming with me, ain't ya . . . :D
Wouldn't miss it for the world.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Image
I love Dirty Rice, but my kids have a weird thing with rice (one likes Mexican/Spanish rice, the other doesn't, but they both like Sushi rice... of course) and my wife refuses to eat anything called "Dirty".
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:my wife refuses to eat anything called "Dirty".
Anything?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:my wife refuses to eat anything called "Dirty".
Anything?
Unfortunately...... anything.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Had sous vide beer brats, german potato salad, homemade pretzels and cheese dip, and a homemade apple bundt cake tonight while sampling about 20 different beers.

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Dude, you Bretzel Konig.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Had sous vide beer brats, german potato salad, homemade pretzels and cheese dip, and a homemade apple bundt cake tonight while sampling about 20 different beers.

Well done SD. Those look great. Have you made them before? And here I am, back on my no carb plan . . .
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

BearDown89 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Had sous vide beer brats, german potato salad, homemade pretzels and cheese dip, and a homemade apple bundt cake tonight while sampling about 20 different beers.

Well done SD. Those look great. Have you made them before? And here I am, back on my no carb plan . . .
All the credit to the wife on those. She's made them before but not for a couple of years. Delicious though. I'm back to a diet myself next week so I'm living it up this week...
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicken Adobo in the instant pot.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TucsonClip wrote:Chicken Adobo in the instant pot.
I've done that a couple times. Very easy and always good
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Never disappoints. Plus, like 5-6 servings with rice for less than $10.

-Shane Battier
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

TucsonClip wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
What are your ingredients for the adobo? I do green chile pork all the time, which at its most basic is nothing more than a hunk of pork and some green salsa. However, I typically add plenty of other stuff to give it more depth, etc. Some in the pot right now for tonight in fact. Interested in mixing it up with the adobo though . . .
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

BearDown89 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
What are your ingredients for the adobo? I do green chile pork all the time, which at its most basic is nothing more than a hunk of pork and some green salsa. However, I typically add plenty of other stuff to give it more depth, etc. Some in the pot right now for tonight in fact. Interested in mixing it up with the adobo though . . .
Chicken thighs, seasoned and seared
Soy
White vinegar
Fish sauce
White onion
A touch of cinnamon
Bay leaves
Garlic
Cayenne

Serve over rice and garnish with scallions.

We usually have everything on hand already, so picking up an onion, chicken thighs and scallions is simple. Easy to prep, done and reduced in 25 minutes.

-Shane Battier
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

TucsonClip wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicken thighs, seasoned and seared
Soy
White vinegar
Fish sauce
White onion
A touch of cinnamon
Bay leaves
Garlic
Cayenne

Serve over rice and garnish with scallions.

We usually have everything on hand already, so picking up an onion, chicken thighs and scallions is simple. Easy to prep, done and reduced in 25 minutes.
Thank you. Sounds excellent. Will add to the repertoire . . . I love using chicken thighs. So good marinated and grilled.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Stopped by Forbes Meat Company downtown yesterday. Tuesday isn't the best day stock wise but still impressed. Picked up some linguiça, Tucson hot links, a tri tip, and a pork shoulder. Definitely not cheap but if I am going to eat meat it should be better quality stuff from a local business.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Making up a recipe tonight modeled after all the generic braises I've done in the past.

Browned ~3 lbs of lamb shanks
mirepoix and fennel bulb sauteed
add garlic/thyme/rosemary/smoked paprika
deglaze with a cup or so of red wine
Add 2 cups of chicken stock and a can fire roasted tomatoes and bay leaf
Braise for 2 ish hours in a 325 oven then
add a lb of par cooked rancho gordo flageolet beans for another 30 mins or so
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Stopped by Forbes Meat Company downtown yesterday. Tuesday isn't the best day stock wise but still impressed. Picked up some linguiça, Tucson hot links, a tri tip, and a pork shoulder. Definitely not cheap but if I am going to eat meat it should be better quality stuff from a local business.
The Sausage Shop is worth checking out. They have tons of sausage from around the world, including Linguica.

They are also a full service butcher.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I lost all confidence in the sausage shop when they were shut down at least 1-2 times for egregious health code violations.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I've been to the sausage shop a few times for sausages and sandwiches but the health violations definitely made me wary.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Maryland style crab cakes and a light lemon vinaigrette dressed salad. Dessert was homemade mint chip ice cream. Amazing. Diet starts Monday!

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html" target="_blank
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

It's GRAND FINAL NIGHT IN AUSTRALIA!!!

Australian Football League: Richmond Tigers .vs. Geelong Cats
Richmond is the defending champion and Mrs. Cranium's favorite team. This is their 3rd of the last 4 Grand Finals, and they have won both their previous games. The game is being played in Brisbane with a live crowd - the first time in the 122 years of the Grand Final that it has not been played in Melbourne. Betting is Richmond $1.84 / Geelong $2.05

National Rugby League: Melbourne Storm .vs. Penrith Panthers (1st Place all year).
This is Melbourne's 4th Grand Final in 5 Years, but they have only won 1 of the 3 previous games. Melbourne is not a Rugby town, but actually been the dominate team for the last 15 years or more. The game is in Sydney with a live crowd. Betting is $1.70 Melbourne / $2.25 Penrith

GO Tiges! This is, of course, the only time I could possibly not cheer on the Cats).
GO Storm!

So of course, dinner tonight is the epitome of Australian Haute Cuisine: Meat Pies, Sausage Rolls and Beer
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’ve always liked the AFL, but Rugby League is something I never got into. I’m an old school Rugby Union guy.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Also I may have misled. NRL granny is tomorrow (Sunday in Oz)
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Sweet potato gnocchi with rapini and a brown butter, sage, and cream sauce. Cheat day this week. Had a slice of Costco pizza for lunch...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Looks delicious.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:37 pmLooks delicious.
It was. All credit to the wife on this one. I just poured wine and champagne for Biden and Kamala all night.