Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by Longhorned »

On a related note, I've been making a barbecue sauce of onion, garlic, pureed tomato, chipotles en adobo, maldon sea salt, chopped dates, and pineapple vinegar. It's been amazing on baby back ribs and roasted chicken thighs.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'm making my annual post-St. Patrick's half-priced corned beef and cabbage in my instant pot. It smells amazing.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Gonna try that...let me know how it is
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Kale salad. Y'all suck.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Stew and crescent roles.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I rubbed salt and dijon mustard and Lawry's salt all over a 5.5 pound bone-in pork shoulder and I'm roasting it at 300 degrees. Then I'll figure out what else to do with it, along with some yellow eye beans and Japanese sweet potatoes. The trick is to cook during whatever timeframe you have at home, then go teach or whatever, and then pick up the kid and come home and still get dinner on the table.

I still have no idea how other people get dinner on the table for their families.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Same. We only get to because my wife works one, maybe 2 days a week and I work from home so can pop in and put something in the oven or whatever. Very lucky.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:40 am Thread:
My sister and I invented the never ending taco last Tuesday.

Essentially the concept is that you overfill a tortilla with all the taco fixings and then you put another tortilla on your plate underneath. As you eat the first taco, some of the filling falls out onto the spare tortilla thus creating a new taco. You then overfill that new tortilla with taco ingredients and slide in a new, bare tortilla under that one on your plate. Rinse and repeat until you pass out or die.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Made a huge tray of beef chorizo enchiladas last night with ingredients from the new Carniceria on the east side. Mixed in some diced green chiles, minced garlic, onion, cumin, a dash of cinnamon and smothered them with red sauce, quesadilla cheese, cilantro, green onions and Mexican crema 8-)

Tonight I will fill tiny four tortillas with enchiladas and baby, you got yourself an enchilada taco!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Breakfast for Dinner has been a tradition at my crib for a long time. The kids always loved it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:17 pm Breakfast for Dinner has been a tradition at my crib for a long time. The kids always loved it.
Who would ever eat anything other than breakfast foods?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:27 pm
wyo-cat wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:17 pm Breakfast for Dinner has been a tradition at my crib for a long time. The kids always loved it.
Who would ever eat anything other than breakfast foods?
People are idiots LH

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Balinese pork satay with a sweet soy glaze and crushed peanut sauce. Also had rice and lettuce cups with some stir fried snap peas and mushrooms on the side in a soy and lemon sauce.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Worked all day then coached soccer for two hours. I get home at 7:15 with the kids and the wife looks at me and says “so… dinner?”

Infuriating.

Luckily I did the grocery shopping. Filets, spinach, and cheesy potatoes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

You forgot dessert?!?!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dessert was asking my wife if she needed help cleaning the kitchen and then walking away before she answered.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We finally bought an air fryer.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:18 am We finally bought an air fryer.
You beat me to it. It's not even on my radar to learn what they are. I figure I have plenty of things to cook with my current setup, as long as I continue to dwell in ignorance and not concern myself with having to work through where I'd put another cooking device.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:56 am
azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:18 am We finally bought an air fryer.
You beat me to it. It's not even on my radar to learn what they are. I figure I have plenty of things to cook with my current setup, as long as I continue to dwell in ignorance and not concern myself with having to work through where I'd put another cooking device.
We've had the same little toaster oven for over 20 years. Just big enough to hold 4 pieces of toast. It finally gave up the ghost so the wife used it as an excuse to get a air fryer that is big enough to do 9 pieces of toast. I would've been happy with one of these:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Air fryers are just toaster ovens.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

They’re bigger than your mom’s old toasty, but today’s toaster ovens are bigger and digital and can read the barcode on your pizza bagel box and cook those bad boys just right.

Tonight I made grilled marinated chicken with avocado over cilantro lime rice. When I told the wife I had no plan for tomorrow after shopping for and cooking three meals in a row she looked mildly annoyed.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Ohio Nachos (which are potato chips with alfredo sauce, blue cheese, and chives) and Meatloaf (buttermilk-chive mashed potatoes, wild mushrooms, broccoli, chili onion rings and BBQ gravy) at the Cap City Diner in Columbus.

Pretty outstanding.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:08 pm Ohio Nachos (which are potato chips with alfredo sauce, blue cheese, and chives) and Meatloaf (buttermilk-chive mashed potatoes, wild mushrooms, broccoli, chili onion rings and BBQ gravy) at the Cap City Diner in Columbus.

Pretty outstanding.
You gain 7lbs just crossing into the Midwest.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

All I can do is tell the truth here and let you be the judge of me:

Last night I made spaghetti with meatballs, and as an experiment I decided to boil my raw meatballs in the big pot of water first, remove them, and then salt the water and cook the spaghetti in it.

After I took the meatballs out of the water, I decided to taste the water. It was a rich, amazingly delicious beef stock. Just for having cooked basically a pound of salted ground beef and onions in it for like 8 minutes (bound into balls with bread filling). I almost fell on the kitchen floor. It infused into the spaghetti in an amazing way, perfect for my sauce and the meatballs and the parm.

This morning I googled it and found no meaningful results. Did I discover a cheat for making beef stock in 8 minutes by using raw ground beef? A 3-hour stock made from expensive browned spare ribs had nothing on that hamburger stock.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Never would have thought of par-boiling meatballs. Feels like all that flavor that got infused into the water left the meat. Did you boil them until they were cooked through?

I always brown my meatballs in olive oil first so that I lock in and intensify the beef/pork flavor, then simmer them in the sauce to cook them through.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:23 am Never would have thought of par-boiling meatballs. Feels like all that flavor that got infused into the water left the meat. Did you boil them until they were cooked through?

I always brown my meatballs in olive oil first so that I lock in and intensify the beef/pork flavor, then simmer them in the sauce to cook them through.
I usually baste them with olive oil and brown them in the oven before simmering them in the sauce.

I simmered the boiled meatballs in the sauce, too. No doubt, they weren't as good as properly browned meatballs. They were clearly a compromise. But I had no idea what they'd do to the water. And the way they infused the flavor into the noodles was altogether different than just infusing that flavor into the sauce.

The lack of browning, and using ground beef for something other than a long simmer, are unorthodox. I wonder if there's something about raw commercially ground beef that expresses so much surface area into the boiling water. There might be a pretty quick sweet spot, after which it goes downhill. But it's an intense, bright beefy flavor. I think it would be awesome for pho. Or risotto. Or caldo de res.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I admire your courage. I wouldn’t put ground beef into boiling water for fear that it would totally fall apart and I’d be left with 3000 soggy beef bits floating in fat water.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:28 pm I admire your courage. I wouldn’t put ground beef into boiling water for fear that it would totally fall apart and I’d be left with 3000 soggy beef bits floating in fat water.
I didn't invent that. It's super common and it works, if by "works" we mean well-formed but gray meatballs, if you can picture what I'm saying.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh I’ve seen boiled beef before. Like something out of a movie about Russian gulags.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azgreg wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:35 pm Image
Popular in our house (we buy the 24 pack) when someone wants a quick snack or doesn't want to cook.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:45 am
azgreg wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:35 pm Image
Popular in our house (we buy the 24 pack) when someone wants a quick snack or doesn't want to cook.
And there's plenty of ways to fancy it up. Mix in an egg and chili crisp and some green onion and you have a gourmet meal
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In my religion, we get take-out food when I can't cook. We have a ramen drive-thru down the street.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Filipino embutido. Pork meatloaf stuffed with hard boiled eggs and Chinese sausage. Served with lemon/soy stir fried snow peas, rice, and a chile sweet and sour sauce made with Filipino cane vinegar.

One of the best things I've made in months.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Picked up some prime ribeyes from Davison Meats right by my house (best selection of high grade choice and prime cuts in town). Sous vide at 130 for 90 mins with garlic and rosemary from my garden then seared on top of my charcoal chimney for about 45-60 seconds per side.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Do you have a sous vide machine thing? Or do you use a cooler?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I sous vide, have an Anova my dad got me for Christmas like 7 years ago.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:55 am I sous vide, have an Anova my dad got me for Christmas like 7 years ago.
I've been interested in that idea of using cheap chuck roast, which sous vide supposedly renders as tender as ribeye, but of course even more flavorful.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have seen a decent number of things online where people have done that and swear by it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

At a Mother's Day potluck I met a former chef turned realtor who contributed a dish from Ghana called "red red", which was about the best thing I've ever eaten.

It was butter, olive oil, onions, garlic, jalapeños, canned black-eye peas, and chicken stock.

I asked him why it was called "red red" and he didn't know.

According to the internet, red red is actually made with delicious, thick, unrefined red fruit palm oil, which is very, very red. And it's made with onions, garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet pepper, dried black eye peas, and canned mackerel. It's garnished with avocado slices and served with fried plantains.

I'm not saying it will be better than the chef's, but that's what I'm making for dinner tonight. My only substitution will be Rancho Gordo yellow eye beans, and I'll finish it with a little fish oil.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:30 am At a Mother's Day potluck I met a former chef turned realtor who contributed a dish from Ghana called "red red", which was about the best thing I've ever eaten.

It was butter, olive oil, onions, garlic, jalapeños, canned black-eye peas, and chicken stock.

I asked him why it was called "red red" and he didn't know.

According to the internet, red red is actually made with delicious, thick, unrefined red fruit palm oil, which is very, very red. And it's made with onions, garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet pepper, dried black eye peas, and canned mackerel. It's garnished with avocado slices and served with fried plantains.

I'm not saying it will be better than the chef's, but that's what I'm making for dinner tonight. My only substitution will be Rancho Gordo yellow eye beans, and I'll finish it with a little fish oil.
I think that was my wife's favorite thing ever. Cooking with and eating red palm fruit oil was a past life experience. It's aromatic in an exotic way. Like nothing I've ever had before, but like something from the other side of my dreams.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

… or the other side of the world.

Here’s to adventure!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Double smash burgers. Haven't made this in a long time. I realized now it's because I want to make them every day.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm loving everything I've made from Kenji's new Wok cookbook (not a shocker). Tonight was pan-fried tofu with a garlic and fermented black bean sauce. Served with a cucumber and yogurt dill salad with Chile oil.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I might've found my new favorite restaurant. You sit down and they ask you how you want your meat. No menu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

All afternoon I'll be cooking a Lima-style Peruvian chicken stew. But I have no recipe, I've never been to Peru, and I don't know what "Lima-style" would mean.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:22 pm All afternoon I'll be cooking a Lima-style Peruvian chicken stew. But I have no recipe, I've never been to Peru, and I don't know what "Lima-style" would mean.
We’re you transported to the Andes?