The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote:Insomnia... you’re a motherfucking bitch.
Hit bad by insomnia last night. It's a double and triple whammy of dread. Stage 1: You're constantly doing the math on how much sleep you're losing Vs the time your alarm goes off. Stage 2: Job stress circles around in my head. Stage 3: With the barriers of your mind fully down, you start combing through your past, remembering, for instance, some long last classmate you sat next to in 8th grade math, which leads to... Stage 4: Becoming unsettled by how much time has gone by. "Was 8th grade really TWENTY years ago?"
Stages 2-7 for me involve going over every dumb or embarrassing thing I’ve ever said or done going back to kindergarten and then wondering how it is I have any friends and didn’t end up living in a tent beneath an overpass.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Hit bad by insomnia last night. It's a double and triple whammy of dread. Stage 1: You're constantly doing the math on how much sleep you're losing Vs the time your alarm goes off. Stage 2: Job stress circles around in my head. Stage 3: With the barriers of your mind fully down, you start combing through your past, remembering, for instance, some long last classmate you sat next to in 8th grade math, which leads to... Stage 4: Becoming unsettled by how much time has gone by. "Was 8th grade really TWENTY years ago?"
Stages 2-7 for me involve going over every dumb or embarrassing thing I’ve ever said or done going back to kindergarten and then wondering how it is I have any friends and didn’t end up living in a tent beneath an overpass.
It's supposedly cyclical. Insomnia strengthens retention of embarrassing memories, leading to staying up all night dwelling on embarrassing memories.

https://www.bhg.com.au/people-with-inso ... g-memories" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
It's supposedly cyclical. Insomnia strengthens retention of embarrassing memories, leading to staying up all night dwelling on embarrassing memories.

https://www.bhg.com.au/people-with-inso ... g-memories" target="_blank
Ah yes, the 7th circle of hell...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Buying a new car is a pain in the ass. However, during the process I found out I have a credit score of 881. That's OK right?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Errrm I've worked in banking for 13 years and the highest score even possible is 850. Unless they're using some new model I've never heard of.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Maybe 818?

According to Credit Karma mine is 808, where I carry very little debt and always make my payments on time.

However, it is lower than it should be, since I use cashback rewards on several cards and my credit card usage is high, although I pay the bills off every month.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:Errrm I've worked in banking for 13 years and the highest score even possible is 850. Unless they're using some new model I've never heard of.
He handed me the sheet to sign and it said 881. He said the highest is 900. They use Experian.
Last edited by azgreg on Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Weird. We've used Experian (most lenders do) for decades and I've never seen a score above 850, and I've seen thousands of credit reports. I know they changed how scores are calculated recently (I don't work in lending anymore) but not the range.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

When my wife gets home I'll post the sheet.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

When we got our home equity loan from the credit union I remember them saying I had a score of 820 then.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I know mine is around 825 right now through Experian.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:Buying a new car is a pain in the ass. However, during the process I found out I have a credit score of 881. That's OK right?
No matter what your score is it is probably a good idea not to borrow from the dealer.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Buying a new car is a pain in the ass. However, during the process I found out I have a credit score of 881. That's OK right?
No matter what your score is it is probably a good idea not to borrow from the dealer.
The financing is through my credit union but Sanderson Ford did all the paperwork and credit check.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
The financing is through my credit union but Sanderson Ford did all the paperwork and credit check.
I've seen headlines claiming the inventory of new vehicles is real low at dealerships due to the factory shutdowns at the beginning o the virus outbreak. What was your experience?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
I've seen headlines claiming the inventory of new vehicles is real low at dealerships due to the factory shutdowns at the beginning o the virus outbreak. What was your experience?
I've visited half a dozen dealerships over the last few days and all the lots were full. I don't know what they had in the back though.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

So I've been wanting a high end laptop for a while. I finally got the new Microsoft Surface Book 3 a couple weeks ago. Yeah I know its overpriced but I really like the detachable screen turns into a tablet. But I am disappointed in the battery life and watching 4K video isn't quite up to par.
I am really indecisive if I should keep it or go for the new Dell XPS 17 that came out today. I use my laptop for some light gaming, watching movies, some video conferencing, and other work related stuff. I also want to learn photo editing eventually.
I don't know how worried I should be about speed. Surface Book has quad core while the Dell has 8 cores.
Any thoughts on what I should do?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What would you say about me taking up guayaberas? I mean pretty much all guayaberas. Like, it's how I'd roll.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm thinking of converting one of my bikes to an ebike for commuting to work using this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/EBIKELING-conver ... th=1&psc=1" target="_blank

And this battery:

https://www.amazon.com/QZF-Bater%C3%ADa ... ods&sr=1-8" target="_blank

Total will set me back a bit under $700. Should be able to offset that in about 8 months.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azgreg wrote:I'm thinking of converting one of my bikes to an ebike for commuting to work using this kit:

And this battery:

So this is a kit? How do you go about selecting a kit to the bike you already have? Are bikes universal enough to not need a lot of specific conditions when it comes to eBike conversions? Does everything usually come together pretty well?

I see riders around town using eBikes and I always take note, thinking it's a great idea, but never sure how they went about it. And how much tinkering it took to get everything reliable.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
azgreg wrote:I'm thinking of converting one of my bikes to an ebike for commuting to work using this kit:

And this battery:

So this is a kit? How do you go about selecting a kit to the bike you already have? Are bikes universal enough to not need a lot of specific conditions when it comes to eBike conversions? Does everything usually come together pretty well?

I see riders around town using eBikes and I always take note, thinking it's a great idea, but never sure how they went about it. And how much tinkering it took to get everything reliable.
Yep, it's a kit. Just bolts right on. The motor is the hub of the rear wheel.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Let me know if we need a Cancel Culture thread. Thinking about tracking who's the latest to get cancelled. Just this past week three more Hollywood Comedians/Actors were (deservedly) taken to the woodshed for varying degrees of abhorrent aggressions against women. Only hesitation is that maybe a thread like this belongs on the Politics board?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Goldilocks and the three bears is the ultimate story of white privilege.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

In the age of COVID-19 and mask wearing, how can you tell if a woman is attractive or a butterface?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote:In the age of COVID-19 and mask wearing, how can you tell if a woman is attractive or a butterface?
Worse, what happens when you and your wife go shopping and you come home with the wrong woman? You just don't know til she takes off the mask.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:In the age of COVID-19 and mask wearing, how can you tell if a woman is attractive or a butterface?
I've become more of an ass man.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Like you’d fucking care....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My wife has taken up day trading.

Bless her heart.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:My wife has taken up day trading.

Bless her heart.
Tell her to buy and sell Hertz... but maybe not in that order.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:My wife has taken up day trading.

Bless her heart.
What's her method?

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I have no fucking idea.

She’s taken a few online classes with TD ameritrade rep, and is going through their online curriculum. she has a background in finance so it’s not completely foreign.

She says she want to “help contribute” even if she in no way needs to. I think she just looks at it as a way to pass a few hours in the morning in between being a parent.

That said she’s pretty good with her stop losses and taking profits. She totally scalping but doing alright.

Lol
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Cool. Hope it works out. Keep us posted if you don't mind.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sure, she’s playing around learning with a really small account, but will share the highs and lows. Lol
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Took my boots to the shoe repair shop for new soles. $90. No thanks. Went to another shop, $100. No thanks. Bought a new pair, same exact boot. $115. Crazy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

New record today for Joey Chestnut. 75
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

azgreg wrote:New record today for Joey Chestnut. 75
Seattle style?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUCatFan wrote:
azgreg wrote:New record today for Joey Chestnut. 75
Seattle style?
Plain and wet.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Will the Washington Redskins new name be the Foreskins? I mean, really, Snyder is such a dick.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrMeow wrote:Will the Washington Redskins new name be the Foreskins? I mean, really, Snyder is such a dick.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=339" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So good to see my two friends Jack and Coke.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Damn I love day drinking.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

poured jack in my ice coffee this morning at 8:18am...big whoop wanna fight about it?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I am genuinely curious as to the owner is of a forest green Honda CR-V, with a brazzers license plate holder, always parked in my local raleys supermarket parking lot.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats wrote:poured jack in my ice coffee this morning at 8:18am...big whoop wanna fight about it?

Surprising to me is that I thought you actually like good bourbon.

:)

And yes I know, Jack is not real bourbon to begin with.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Merkin wrote:
97cats wrote:poured jack in my ice coffee this morning at 8:18am...big whoop wanna fight about it?
Surprising to me is that I thought you actually like good bourbon.

:)

And yes I know, Jack is not real bourbon to begin with.
well said, and yes my good man, the good bourbon is not to be mixed ...jack and jameson just for the coffee when im feeling frisky!

was feelin frisky today!!! :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I love to spruce up my morning coffee with bourbon. Stops the caffeine from keeping me awake.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Why does AC/DC use "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" as their encore song?

Shouldn't that be their opening song?
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:Why does AC/DC use "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" as their encore song?

Shouldn't that be their opening song?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Thanks for this. Bunky looks and sounds like and old mate of mine whom I will only describe as the guy with more nicknames than anyone.

Off the top of my head: U-Joint; Slickum; Rooster; Gunge; Pro-Bad; Scud; Queets; Sleeve; Cupcake and DilBo. DilBo was my personal contribution: Diligent Hobo. He's probably dead too.

~ Wilhoit's Law