The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:Wife wants to go camping this weekend and of course the weather is predicted to be miserable.
I want to go camping the last weekend in march but most of the campgrounds are closed till mid april.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:Wife wants to go camping this weekend and of course the weather is predicted to be miserable.
I want to go camping the last weekend in march but most of the campgrounds are closed till mid april.
She want's to go somewhere near Tucson so we can visit her dad as well. Usually that means up on Mt. Lemon somewhere.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
She want's to go somewhere near Tucson so we can visit her dad as well. Usually that means up on Mt. Lemon somewhere.
i think there's only 1 maybe 2 places that would be open this time of year. one is at about 4000 feet and is in some scrub land out in the open next to the highway. the other is further up at about 6500 feet...but this weekend it is liable to be about 45 degrees for a high temp with a chance of snow overnight at that elevation.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
i think there's only 1 maybe 2 places that would be open this time of year. one is at about 4000 feet and is in some scrub land out in the open next to the highway. the other is further up at about 6500 feet...but this weekend it is liable to be about 45 degrees for a high temp with a chance of snow overnight at that elevation.
Like I said, SHE wants to camp this weekend. :D
gumby

Post by gumby »

scumdevils86 wrote:
We always just camped off some forest road on the Rim. No neighbors. Only way to go.
Right where I want to be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

gumby wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
We always just camped off some forest road on the Rim. No neighbors. Only way to go.
i don't mind that...you just usually can't have any fire the last decade or so unless it is in a designated fire pit. and there is no camping without a camp fire.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
I don't mind that and have done it many times, but like SD86 said I need a camp fire this time and would like to get some fishing in.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:
gumby wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
I don't mind that and have done it many times, but like SD86 said I need a camp fire this time and would like to get some fishing in.
well on mt lemmon you only have rose canyon lake...which i believe is closed until april
gumby

Post by gumby »

scumdevils86 wrote:
gumby wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
i don't mind that...you just usually can't have any fire the last decade or so unless it is in a designated fire pit. and there is no camping without a camp fire.
Pussification of Arizona!!!!!

We hardly ever started forest fires.
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:
gumby wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
People actually follow those rules? :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Salty wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
gumby wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Yes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
gumby wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Some of us aren't selfish assholes Mr. Menace on the Highways....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Salty wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
gumby wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Asssholes like you are the ones that burn down hundreds of thousands of acres yearly because of "those rules". You sure seem to have a huge lack of respect when it comes to things like burn laws and traffic laws when they apply to you. Great attitude to be a cop since they feel the same about rules applying to them.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote: Asssholes like you are the ones that burn down hundreds of thousands of acres yearly because of "those rules". You sure seem to have a huge lack of respect when it comes to things like burn laws and traffic laws when they apply to you. Great attitude to be a cop since they feel the same about rules applying to them.
Going 10 over after driving 10 hours and not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign because I was about to shit my pants is not a big deal.

Bonfires in the desert are a great time. Try it sometime.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Try not being a general bad human. It's nice.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

The wife and I are moving back to Texas after almost 25 years away!
Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:Try not being a general bad human. It's nice.
:lol:

What do I do that's so bad?
Salty

Post by Salty »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:The wife and I are moving back to Texas after almost 25 years away!
I just moved to Texas, yesterday.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you wish to eat an avocado, you do so fairly soon after removing its protective peel, because otherwise it turns brown. But I've noticed that when parts of the avocado get set aside during preparation, you'll return to the kitchen hours later to find those parts still green. This is because you never intended to serve those parts, and avocados understand that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If you cut an avocado in half and leave the pit in on one side, that half won't get brown when you leave it out.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:If you cut an avocado in half and leave the pit in on one side, that half won't get brown when you leave it out.
Yeah, and I challenge you to try that little trick. That's something home cooks say just to feel better about themselves. Leave that half with the pit in it out or in the fridge or whatever you want and tell us how bright and vibrant green it is the next day.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:If you cut an avocado in half and leave the pit in on one side, that half won't get brown when you leave it out.
Yeah, and I challenge you to try that little trick. That's something home cooks say just to feel better about themselves. Leave that half with the pit in it out or in the fridge or whatever you want and tell us how bright and vibrant green it is the next day.
It actually works just fine for us. I'll take a pic next time we crack one open.

Our biggest issues with avocados is that they only show up at the supermarket when they are just on the cusp of rotting.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Not here. Avocados are usually way too hard and no where ripe yet
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have a couple of avocado trees, so will try it. Usually I just put some lemon on them after cutting so they don't brown.

On a related note, avocados don't ripen on the tree. You have to pick them, then let them sit on your counter for a week or two. I have heard you can stick them in a paper bag with bananas and that will help ripen them, but haven't tried it.

From my tree:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Why would you only eat half an avocado?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
I actually warm up the one half in the microwave and use it as a masturbation aid and leave the rest for salad or tacos or whatever we're having for dinner.

Aren't you glad you asked?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
I actually warm up the one half in the microwave and use it as a masturbation aid and leave the rest for salad or tacos or whatever we're having for dinner.

Do you ever get them mixed up?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

When I lived in Santa Barbara, there was no point in buying them in the store. They grow on trees all around us. $2 each? We were all millionaires from our avocados alone. Still a staple in my kitchen in Upper Louisiana (aka central Illinois).

Greatest recipe ever? Straight out of mid-century southern California:

Toasted wheat bread with avocado and a little salt. Not white bread, which is better for everything else in the world. Don't add butter, which normally makes everything better. Don't add lemon or lime. This isn't guacamole. Have for breakfast with a cup of coffee, and if you're for real, a cigarette.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not just for external masturbation aids:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

I could never do that to a perfectly good avocado.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

No other message board in the history of college athletics has gone this in depth on the life and times of the avocado.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Do you ever get them mixed up?
How do you think guacamole was invented?
Alieberman wrote:I could never do that to a perfectly good avocado.
Let it go bad first. Moral dilemma solved.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is it wrong that I outright giggled at the at the post college dude bro Capitol Hill staffer in his dark navy blue suit wearing a GOP elephant pin when passing him?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I mean I just saw that stupid pin and just couldn't contain myself. And he was walking so proud, just root root rooting for the home team.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The day CST became straight dem.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He'll probably put his American flag pin back on when Obama is deported.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I was taught that after making guacamole, place a couple of pits in it. Stays greener longer.

But according to this, golf balls would work, too. Just a matter of limiting the surface area exposed to air.

http://www.livescience.com/33660-guacam ... brown.html

Also, did not know that avocado meant "testicle" to the Aztecs.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
I was taught that after making guacamole, place a couple of pits in it. Stays greener longer.

But according to this, golf balls would work, too. Just a matter of limiting the surface area exposed to air.

http://www.livescience.com/33660-guacam ... brown.html

Also, did not know that avocado meant "testicle" to the Aztecs.
Aha!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

i just had halal pepperoni pizza and it was delicious!

am I still amurican?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

No, now go back to Iraq you commie!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:I have a couple of avocado trees, so will try it. Usually I just put some lemon on them after cutting so they don't brown.

On a related note, avocados don't ripen on the tree. You have to pick them, then let them sit on your counter for a week or two. I have heard you can stick them in a paper bag with bananas and that will help ripen them, but haven't tried it.

From my tree:

Hand-mashed guac is better, especially on hand-crafted nachos.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I can't prove this so you'll have to trust me: I used an entire avocado on a single sandwich yesterday and had nothing to try and preserve for a second sandwich today.
Salty

Post by Salty »

CalStateTempe wrote:The day CST became straight dem.
You're far too fiscally conservative to call yourself that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:I can't prove this so you'll have to trust me: I used an entire avocado on a single sandwich yesterday and had nothing to try and preserve for a second sandwich today.
Did it turn brown before you finished?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Salty wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:The day CST became straight dem.
You're far too fiscally conservative to call yourself that.
How so?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I can't prove this so you'll have to trust me: I used an entire avocado on a single sandwich yesterday and had nothing to try and preserve for a second sandwich today.
Did it turn brown before you finished?
I don't doddle over a sandwich. I'm not Herb Sendek. This isn't the MGM Grand food court.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Here's the thing -- "power mower" doesn't rhyme, but we expect everyone to speak English.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Here's the thing -- "power mower" doesn't rhyme, but we expect everyone to speak English.
I have evidence to the contrary, but I choose to believe that British people refer to lawn mowers as "glade trimmers." I've always wanted to put on an English accent and waste a bunch of employees' time at Home Depot. "Your glade trimmers. You know. For trimming the glade."
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Allergies are a spectator sport.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What if you took a nap and when you woke up, you were on a flight about to land in Miami? As soon as the plane lands, you call your wife and say, "I don't know how, but I'm in Miami!" She laughs into the phone and tells you she's waiting for you there just past security. Confused, you make your way out of security and she's with various family members who greet you and say, "Let's go!" In a panic, you call somebody at work and they say, "Relax! We've been over this. Don't call again. Enjoy your vacation!" Can you imagine how you'd feel? If so, then you can imagine how I feel.