The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by azgreg »

So I stop by the mall today on the way home. As I enter I go by a psychic shop and the girl (pretty by the way) asks if I would like a psychic reading. You'd think she would already know the answer to her question.
Jefe

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Jefe »

ay-ooooo
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Last night at the gym, there was a guy with wraparound shades practicing nunchuks in an unused racquetball court. It's hard to get more awesome than that.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Last night at the gym, there was a guy with wraparound shades practicing nunchuks in an unused racquetball court. It's hard to get more awesome than that.
That's got youtube written all over it.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

i like beef jerky
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Isn't this what got Guert banned?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Last night at the gym, there was a guy with wraparound shades practicing nunchuks in an unused racquetball court. It's hard to get more awesome than that.
That's got youtube written all over it.
Unfortunately:

1. I don't bring my phone to the gym.
2. I'm sure I'd get nunchuked mercilessly if he caught me.

Your Arizona legal tidbit of the day, nunchuks are prohibited weapons in Arizona.

(v) An instrument, including a nunchaku, that consists of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire or chain, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense

http://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03101.htm

I'm unsure why the Arizona legislature believed we had issues with felons in possession of nunchuks, but I'm assuming it had to do with the Ninja Turtles.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I work at a college campus, and often thought of bringing my phone to the gym.

Secondly, in Arizona nunchucks are considered more dangerous than carrying a concealed handgun or letting 9 year olds shoot Uzis?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:I work at a college campus, and often thought of bringing my phone to the gym.

Secondly, in Arizona nunchucks are considered more dangerous than carrying a concealed handgun or letting 9 year olds shoot Uzis?
Well, felons can't have handguns either, but it's a tad odd that they're classified the same as nunchuks and dry ice bombs.

For what it's worth, I had a friend with nunchuks when I was a kid. If you're trying how to learn to use nunchuks, the question isn't whether you'll hurt yourself, it's when.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I miss Andy Rooney.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Joesph suffered the worst cock block in history. All that waiting..
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Joesph suffered the worst cock block in history. All that waiting..
I've always thought Joseph's faith in God was an underrated part of the bible. Your wife tells you shes a virgin and all of a sudden she's pregnant without you having sex. You have to have a whole lot of faith to buy into the immaculate conception idea.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Who pokes all the holes in the little pasta noodles?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Aren't selfies self-evident? "Oh, you took that pboto of you with your right arm missing. Would've never guessed."
Right where I want to be.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I rescently discovered that I don't hate mustard.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:I rescently discovered that I don't hate mustard.
i love mustard.

so much.

i have been known to own at least half a dozen varieties in my fridge at once. or more.

last night I made pan fried pork chops for dinner with a whole mustard seed/wine/cream sauce. so good.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I stopped liking tuna when they started taking the dolphins out of it
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I stopped liking tuna when they started taking the dolphins out of it
What about feeding the tuna mayonnaise.....call Starkist!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Driving home to Phoenix from Rim Country at the end of Labor Day weekend is the suck.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:Driving home to Phoenix from Rim Country at the end of Labor Day weekend is the suck.
Rim Country sounds like a sleazy place.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azgreg wrote:Driving home to Phoenix from Rim Country at the end of Labor Day weekend is the suck.
I spent the weekend up at Black Canyon Lake.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Apparently, so did about 250,000 of your friends--or points north.

I came back up the 17 this afternoon at 4 and the southbound lanes were just jammed clear up to Camp Verde.

No accidents, no wrecks--the freeway from Flag was simply maxed out.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

wyo-cat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:I stopped liking tuna when they started taking the dolphins out of it
What about feeding the tuna mayonnaise.....call Starkist!!
Wait a minute ... Waaaaaiiit a minute ... I got it ... what if, we fed tuna fish, the mayonnaise! *turns on mini tape recorder* Quick, call Starkist!

(Now THAT ... was a random thought ... Good stuff Wyo-Cat!)
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Stories about online or text conversations are the absolute worst.

"I guess you had to be there..."
"No thanks you fucking nerd."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I spent the weekend up at Black Canyon Lake.
It's harder to make double entendres about Black Canyon Lake than it is Rim Country.
gumby

Post by gumby »

This is why I switched to chicken from the sea.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Why does CNN only offer their story "texting woman impaled in buttocks" in video? I don't click on video stories, so now I never get to know how texting causes impaled buttocks, which I think I might want to know just to avoid getting my buttocks impaled.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

good point. I see a fair number of stories on CNN I would like to *read* and then I see it is a video story so I don't even bother clicking on the link.
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:good point. I see a fair number of stories on CNN I would like to *read* and then I see it is a video story so I don't even bother clicking on the link.
I do this all the time
gumby

Post by gumby »

I click on all videos, except for Ice Bucket Challenges. They all end the same.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Have you ever made a drink and realized you poured to much alcohol and contemplated pouring some back into the bottle?

Yeah, me neither.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My boys cost me a little bit of money this weekend, but I was glad to pay it. We pay our boys $5 for every A on their report card. Between them they have 13 classes and they combined for 11 A's. My youngest (14) is a freshman and has 4 honors classes (out of 6) and got 4 A's. My oldest (17) has 7 classes and got straight A's. The best part of that, if you recall, is he has Asperger's and dropped out a couple of years ago. This last summer a light just seemed to pop on and he decided to re-enroll. I couldn't be prouder of the both of them.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/i-cant ... regHoward1

I
can't
stop
laughing
at this 'roided out Pit-Dachshund

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:My boys cost me a little bit of money this weekend, but I was glad to pay it. We pay our boys $5 for every A on their report card. Between them they have 13 classes and they combined for 11 A's. My youngest (14) is a freshman and has 4 honors classes (out of 6) and got 4 A's. My oldest (17) has 7 classes and got straight A's. The best part of that, if you recall, is he has Asperger's and dropped out a couple of years ago. This last summer a light just seemed to pop on and he decided to re-enroll. I couldn't be prouder of the both of them.
This is awesome Greg. How did you come up with the idea of incentivizing like this? Seems like something I'll want to eventually do, but all the educators will say blah blah blah this is bad for learning because you don't instill the love of education.

Frankly, whatever develops skill set development, I'm all for.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:My boys cost me a little bit of money this weekend, but I was glad to pay it. We pay our boys $5 for every A on their report card. Between them they have 13 classes and they combined for 11 A's. My youngest (14) is a freshman and has 4 honors classes (out of 6) and got 4 A's. My oldest (17) has 7 classes and got straight A's. The best part of that, if you recall, is he has Asperger's and dropped out a couple of years ago. This last summer a light just seemed to pop on and he decided to re-enroll. I couldn't be prouder of the both of them.

1. Need to post that here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=356
2. Honors classes should be given a 25% bonus as college gives them, so $6.25.
3. Well done!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Haven't found payment necessary -- agree with the "blah, blah, blah" -- but those are great results, Azgreg. We hit Cold Stone or something after report cards. The concern is what happens when the reward goes away. Same with overpraising kids. "Good job!" for every little thing can be damaging when they face their first tough challenges. Crops up around middle school when teachers and other kids become more critical.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Picked up some dinner on the way home. Gotta "there you go, boss." Sign of respect or hipster irony?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I dunno "Chief", could go either way.
gumby wrote:Haven't found payment necessary -- agree with the "blah, blah, blah" -- but those are great results, Azgreg. We hit Cold Stone or something after report cards. The concern is what happens when the reward goes away. Same with overpraising kids. "Good job!" for every little thing can be damaging when they face their first tough challenges. Crops up around middle school when teachers and other kids become more critical.
I agree with this concern, especially when all the behavior economics literature shows that negative incentives are more powerful than positive ones.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Why whenever I show up in person at a bank do the tellers let point me to all the technologies replacing their jobs.

Ordering a new book of checks. "You can that online."
Depositing checks. "You can submit checks at our ATMs."
Closing out CDs. "You call this hotline."

Don't they get that if we're able to do all these things ourselves there won't be the need for many tellers?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Why whenever I show up in person at a bank do the tellers let point me to all the technologies replacing their jobs.

Ordering a new book of checks. "You can that online."
Depositing checks. "You can submit checks at our ATMs."
Closing out CDs. "You call this hotline."

Don't they get that if we're able to do all these things ourselves there won't be the need for many tellers?
question, how old are you? they might not just be going about educating you the right way. my credit union is very forward thinking with technology and everything else out there (for a credit union that is). i train all levels of employees as part of my job and it is their responsibility to educate our members on all their options.

20 years from now there probably won't be tellers. essentially once all the people born before 1960 start...ya know..dying... if you aren't on the cutting edge and changing and improving you will fall behind and become irrelevant in this business.

what people in their teens/20s/30s want and how they do their banking is the wave of the future. the next 50 years of banking will be defined by people wanting mobile/online/quick access to their money and information. not by going into a branch and talking to a teller.

personal bankers and brick and mortar institutions aren't going anywhere, they will just be different. more interactive, more technology.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I get that, but tellers are so quick to route you online about everything.

Banking as a whole seems so much less personal anyway; the worst of it being the credit cards they try to get you to sign up for (yes, I know that's part of their post-recession job too.)

I do most of my banking online anyway, but at times requiring me to be at the bank in person (like cashing a lot of checks at once) I usually bring along several other chores.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:I get that, but tellers are so quick to route you online about everything.

Banking as a whole seems so much less personal anyway; the worst of it being the credit cards they try to get you to sign up for (yes, I know that's part of their post-recession job too.)

I do most of my banking online anyway, but at times requiring me to be at the bank in person (like cashing a lot of checks at once) I usually bring along several other chores.
that's why I think the tellers you are working with need to be better trained. we don't just spew info and solutions to our members with no reason or purpose. it has to be what fits for you (hence the difference between many credit unions and banks). we view our sales culture more about providing valuable solutions instead of just SELL SELL SELL PROFITS PROFITS PROFITS like the big banks do since they don't give a rats ass about their customers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

At the Chase branch at the campus I work at they have two big touch screen ATMs in front of the tellers. Almost transactions are done with the indoor ATMs.

Very advanced ATMs, you can even get $1 bills and such.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

we have a branch that is on its way to being like that. it has machines with all denominations of bills but it is kinda limited in some regards. again it is all about how people born in the 70s/80s/90s are going to want to handle their finances over the next 50 years. we aren't there yet but that will guide EVERYTHING in banking very soon. and if you want to succeed as a company you gotta be ahead of that.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:
that's why I think the tellers you are working with need to be better trained. we don't just spew info and solutions to our members with no reason or purpose. it has to be what fits for you (hence the difference between many credit unions and banks). we view our sales culture more about providing valuable solutions instead of just SELL SELL SELL PROFITS PROFITS PROFITS like the big banks do since they don't give a rats ass about their customers.
Better trained as in learning a little more about you before testing you with a host of banking options? Yes, I agree.

That's why I also prefer the smaller Credit Union settings, however, I've kept open a large portion of operations at SELL SELL PROFITS PROFITS big bank due to the national presence (they are everywhere I might need them) and also a number of places I do business with have an inside into this bank and prefer that client transactions take place within this bank. That I don't mind...

...but as an individual walking inside the glass doors, yes, "they don't give a rats ass." No need to say it any better. On two occasions, as soon as I cashed out marginally sizeable CDs there was a whole orchestration of sending me to a desk rep and getting me on the phone with one of their investor groups. I had to lie about needing the money for loans or something. Now I'm just glad they've stopped asking me whether I want a credit card; already get enough of their offers via mail.

I bet it'd only take you one guess as to which bank this is. As soon as I mention banking with them a common response from those in the know is - "Oh, they're the worst!"
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Better trained as in learning a little more about you before testing you with a host of banking options? Yes, I agree.

That's why I also prefer the smaller Credit Union settings, however, I've kept open a large portion of operations at SELL SELL PROFITS PROFITS big bank due to the national presence (they are everywhere I might need them) and also a number of places I do business with have an inside into this bank and prefer that client transactions take place within this bank. That I don't mind...

...but as an individual walking inside the glass doors, yes, "they don't give a rats ass." No need to say it any better. On two occasions, as soon as I cashed out marginally sizeable CDs there was a whole orchestration of sending me to a desk rep and getting me on the phone with one of their investor groups. I had to lie about needing the money for loans or something. Now I'm just glad they've stopped asking me whether I want a credit card; already get enough of their offers via mail.

I bet it'd only take you one guess as to which bank this is. As soon as I mention banking with them a common response from those in the know is - "Oh, they're the worst!"
I'm sure I know who it is. They treat their employees like garbage too. We've hired away many of their good employees and I hear all kinds of horror stories. Someone from BofA just told me that the company specifically is trying to drive people away from their branches. They're intentionally understaffing them and making it difficult to do basic transactions with them in order to piss people off so they won't keep coming in. But they know that they have a lot of people (like yourself) in their grasp forever all because of this notion of "convenience" by being all over the country.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Does it rhyme with sells cargo?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Only have a credit union account. Don't use ATMs. Just get extra cash at the grocery store.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Wife wants to go camping this weekend and of course the weather is predicted to be miserable.