The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Longhorned »

Could some weird virus and lost my ability to taste. I'd have never realized it, but meat is disgusting when it tastes like water.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Any ideas on how I can politely challenge an officer's speedometer next time I'm pulled over?

"Well mr cst, I used the blah blah tech speedometer and it caught you going x the first time and y the second."

I give him that I may have been in the low 80s on the freeway but no way in hell was I the 89 he clocked me at. But I didn't want to challenge and make things worse. At least it was not criminal speed and i am traffic school eligible.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Any ideas on how I can politely challenge an officer's speedometer next time I'm pulled over?

"Well mr cst, I used the blah blah tech speedometer and it caught you going x the first time and y the second."

I give him that I may have been in the low 80s on the freeway but no way in hell was I the 89 he clocked me at. But I didn't want to challenge and make things worse. At least it was not criminal speed and i am traffic school eligible.
And you're white.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Any ideas on how I can politely challenge an officer's speedometer next time I'm pulled over?

This always works for me: "I was trying to hurry up and get to the Chevron before I ran out of gas."
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Back in the '80's I was ticketed for going 66mph between Tucson and Phoenix (speed limit 55). I went to court and argued that, while I may have been over 55, no way was I going 66; the fine went way up over 65, and I was going for a reduction....

... the judge complimented my presentation, but concluded, "however, you admit to speeding, which is a violation, so I have no choice but to accept the officer's account over that of an admitted law breaker."
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

You'd think with all the tech in cars I could call up VW and get a speed log for the time in question.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:

Back in the '80's I was ticketed for going 66mph between Tucson and Phoenix (speed limit 55). I went to court and argued that, while I may have been over 55, no way was I going 66; the fine went way up over 65, and I was going for a reduction....

... the judge complimented my presentation, but concluded, "however, you admit to speeding, which is a violation, so I have no choice but to accept the officer's account over that of an admitted law breaker."
What a jerk.

Here's the winning defense:

"I was on cruise control, which was set to the speed limit. I've kept the cruise control on this entire time since, and kept the car gassed up and running, too. Let's go out to the parking lot, get in the car with me with that big black robe of yours, and we'll accelerate back to that same speed limit that I was going that day."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote: Back in the '80's I was ticketed for going 66mph between Tucson and Phoenix (speed limit 55). I went to court and argued that, while I may have been over 55, no way was I going 66; the fine went way up over 65, and I was going for a reduction....
I had a GF in PHX around the same time frame, and was going up to see her in my 71 Firebird. Cop said I was going 66, but wrote me a ticket for 64 since then it was only a $15 "energy fine". I said "Thank you sir!" and was on my way.

Some cops were dicks back then too, and some pretty nice.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
pc in NM wrote: Back in the '80's I was ticketed for going 66mph between Tucson and Phoenix (speed limit 55). I went to court and argued that, while I may have been over 55, no way was I going 66; the fine went way up over 65, and I was going for a reduction....
I had a GF in PHX around the same time frame, and was going up to see her in my 71 Firebird while wearing jorts.
Fixed it for you.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I had a GF in PHX around the same time frame, and was going up to see her in my 71 Firebird while wearing jorts.
Fixed it for you.
No jorts in the 80s. Cutoffs
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Fixed it for you.
I'm down with cutoffs.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Fixed it for you.

Very short corduroy shorts, and got the pix to prove it!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Fixed it for you.

Very short corduroy shorts, and got the pix to prove it!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I had those same OP shorts. LMAO
-JB
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:I had those same OP shorts. LMAO
And just after that some PCH pants and those long-sleeve yellow T&C t-shirts. They went nice with that little container of Mr. Zog's Sex Wax we used to carry around with us. You know, just in case we needed to wax our surf boards between classes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Don't forget the Members Only jacket.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Members only jackets are back btw. Saw them in a store somewhere. I wore one in high school in 2003 (it was my dad's from 83)
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:
And just after that some PCH pants and those long-sleeve yellow T&C t-shirts. They went nice with that little container of Mr. Zog's Sex Wax we used to carry around with us. You know, just in case we needed to wax our surf boards between classes.

Don't forget the checkerboard Vans.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Don't forget the checkerboard Vans.
I knew you'd say that.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Woah some shit just happened just west of flagstaff as I was driving through. Fucking tons of white smoke...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I need a ruling. Is it OK for a 53 year old whit man to use the word vajayjay in the work place?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:I need a ruling. Is it OK for a 53 year old whit man to use the word vajayjay in the work place?

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Can anyone here make a decent circle on an Etch-A-Sketch?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

“I am not sugar and spice and everything nice.
I am art.
I am a story.
I am a church bell, gonging out wrongs and rights and normal nights.
I was baby. I am child. I will be mother.
I don’t mind being considered beautiful, I do not allow that to be my definition.
I am a rich pie strong with knowledge.
I will not be eaten.”
gumby

Post by gumby »

Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:Can anyone here make a decent circle on an Etch-A-Sketch?
This is not possible.

It's like trying for photorealism on MS Paint.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

gumby wrote:
Every burrito I've had has been to service me.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Have any two people affected the name composition of sports teams more than Shaquille O'Neal and Jalen Rose?

No one was named Shaquille (or Shaq) or Jalen before them. 17-18 years after they get famous, here come the little Shaquilles and Jalens.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Have any two people affected the name composition of sports teams more than Shaquille O'Neal and Jalen Rose?

No one was named Shaquille (or Shaq) or Jalen before them. 17-18 years after they get famous, here come the little Shaquilles and Jalens.
No, unless Jason and Brandon can be pegged to individual players. Haven't seen anything like it since ... Willie and Reggie (and they were baseball).
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

We need a ballin' Mortimer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Have any two people affected the name composition of sports teams more than Shaquille O'Neal and Jalen Rose?

Kobe too.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't watch a lot of Jeopardy, but for decades I have been saying that the 3rd place person should always bet 0, and let the first 2 duke it out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

Kobe too.
In the pantheon of names that sprung out of famous people with distinctive names in the 90's:

Shaquille
Jalen
Kobe
Raekwon
Denzel

Feel free to add, but that's a good top 5, IMO. You just didn't really see those names before the mid 90's.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:I don't watch a lot of Jeopardy, but for decades I have been saying that the 3rd place person should always bet 0, and let the first 2 duke it out.
That dude was so lucky! Helps when the top two are tied. Pretty much have to go all in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Walmart just opened at Metro Center. Let's see if this reinvigorates the mall like it did at Cristown.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Walmart just opened at Metro Center. Let's see if this reinvigorates the mall like it did at Cristown.
Once upon a time, Metro Center embodied the FUTURE with a capital 'FU'.

What Christown needs is to be stripped down to its full mid-century modern core. It would be a destination.
gumby

Post by gumby »

gumby wrote:
Merkin wrote:I don't watch a lot of Jeopardy, but for decades I have been saying that the 3rd place person should always bet 0, and let the first 2 duke it out.
That dude was so lucky! Helps when the top two are tied. Pretty much have to go all in.
So then the next night, he has a sure victory, but he bets too much. Easy come, easy go.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:Walmart just opened at Metro Center. Let's see if this reinvigorates the mall like it did at Cristown.

What Christown needs is to be stripped down to its full mid-century modern core. It would be a destination.
At one time, the planners thought it would be another Park Central. It turned out to be...they both closed and never fully revived.

Hate to say it, but Metro's not going to be any different--and that was my home base growing up. Dinner at Wag's, grape candy ring at Walgreens, Mrs. Field's cinnamon rolls and video games at the Gold Mine upstairs. Ice skating and a movie at the Mann 6 Theatres on special occasions.

Too many memories--and, ultimately, too much dead retail space to fill.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catgrad97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

At one time, the planners thought it would be another Park Central. It turned out to be...they both closed and never fully revived.

Hate to say it, but Metro's not going to be any different--and that was my home base growing up. Dinner at Wag's, grape candy ring at Walgreens, Mrs. Field's cinnamon rolls and video games at the Gold Mine upstairs. Ice skating and a movie at the Mann 6 Theatres on special occasions.

Too many memories--and, ultimately, too much dead retail space to fill.
Weird because all around the perimeter it's doing OK. The last time I was inside Metro there were over 70 empty stores.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
gumby wrote:
So then the next night, he has a sure victory, but he bets too much. Easy come, easy go.
It's like the Jeopardy version of Icarus.
ghostwhitehorse

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Herb Sendek lol
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's awesome.
ghostwhitehorse

UAEebs86 wrote:Herb Sendek lol
Really? Per AVClub one of them is Herb Alpert.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Herb Sendek lol
Really? Per AVClub one of them is Herb Alpert.

Yep, they are both on there. My dad loved him some Herb Alpert.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Their food sucks, obviously. But as for their cultural impact recently, someday this time will be known as the Kentucky Fried Chicken era.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The hot 26-year-old blonde on my team just said, “You’re like my Work Dad.”

She meant it as a compliment.

So there it is. I’m officially unfuckable to twenty-something women. Might as well just lay down and die...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:The hot 26-year-old blonde on my team just said, “You’re like my Work Dad.”

She meant it as a compliment.

So there it is. I’m officially unfuckable to twenty-something women. Might as well just lay down and die...
ahh, the crossover point.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »