The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EastCoastCat

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by EastCoastCat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:46 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:48 pm I just don’t sleep and worry all day and night.

Gotten quite used to it frankly…
Do you worry about one thing, a few things, or many things?
Many things - family, financial, Arizona basketball, how does LH's mind really works...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:22 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:48 pm I just don’t sleep and worry all day and night.

Many things - family, financial, Arizona basketball, how does LH's mind really works...
About how LH's mind works: Every moment I'm singularly focused on the need to work on something else that will defer anything worthwhile to a future time, when it's well-earned, and the things that will go wrong to prevent that good from happening.

So, I either 1) work, procrastinate, and/or worry; or 2) do something with my wife or family member or friend while distracted by other thoughts, projects, and worries; or 3) watch a game, which is amazing in itself, but also because I'm actually focused on what's happening at that moment, and not preoccupied with other things - although after the game it's deflated by my later return to the anxieties about what's not happening at that moment.

In addition to the future, things that are broken or not currently cleaned in the house grate on me.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:30 am

About how LH's mind works: Every moment I'm singularly focused on the need to work on something else that will defer anything worthwhile to a future time, when it's well-earned, and the things that will go wrong to prevent that good from happening.

So, I either 1) work, procrastinate, and/or worry; or 2) do something with my wife or family member or friend while distracted by other thoughts, projects, and worries; or 3) watch a game, which is amazing in itself, but also because I'm actually focused on what's happening at that moment, and not preoccupied with other things - although after the game it's deflated by my later return to the anxieties about what's not happening at that moment.

In addition to the future, things that are broken or not currently cleaned in the house grate on me.
I believe in the therapeutic effects of boredom. It pairs well with procrastination but it's tricky. To engender boredom in general without making it a discrete task with all the associated progress milestones of a project which, when accomplished, completely negates the benefit, requires nuanced indirect neglect. I think you instinctively know this and it causes your anxiety. Being your best bored person is a virtuous challenge and sets a high bar. A linear Western approach doesn't seem to work for me, but I don't understand how to achieve Zen-boredom, but I think it involves taking a nap.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:37 am Image
2+7= I hope you stop worrying
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:20 am

I believe in the therapeutic effects of boredom. It pairs well with procrastination but it's tricky. To engender boredom in general without making it a discrete task with all the associated progress milestones of a project which, when accomplished, completely negates the benefit, requires nuanced indirect neglect. I think you instinctively know this and it causes your anxiety. Being your best bored person is a virtuous challenge and sets a high bar. A linear Western approach doesn't seem to work for me, but I don't understand how to achieve Zen-boredom, but I think it involves taking a nap.
I like the idea of boredom, if not the experience of it. There have been times when I wanted to achieve boredom because it sounds relaxing compared to working at Kinko's, for example (if you remember that institution, which FedEx Office doesn't compare to).

I don't know what "Zen-boredom" is, but the boredom I've experienced is pretty bleak. It's been a long time since I've experienced it. And I haven't experienced anxiety in the year 2022. I've fallen away from "LH's mind" according to my description quoted above, which was inseparable from anxiety.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I found a Zen Buddhist message board. I went in to read the threads and the posts were all petty mischaracterizations of another Zen poster's explanation of some sutra, followed by accusations of "straw-man arguments", immediate dismissal of a new Zen poster bringing what he thought was a new idea, and generally demoralizing divisiveness and hurt feelings.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

A student asked P.J. O'Rourke (who passed away this week) this question when I saw him at University Auditorium AKA Centennial Hall my freshman year (wish I could remember P.J.'s answer):

"If you kept your hand held in a fist for a very long time, perhaps for several months or longer, would your fingernails grow out of the back of your hand?"
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:09 pm

I like the idea of boredom, if not the experience of it. There have been times when I wanted to achieve boredom because it sounds relaxing compared to working at Kinko's, for example (if you remember that institution, which FedEx Office doesn't compare to).

I don't know what "Zen-boredom" is, but the boredom I've experienced is pretty bleak. It's been a long time since I've experienced it. And I haven't experienced anxiety in the year 2022. I've fallen away from "LH's mind" according to my description quoted above, which was inseparable from anxiety.
I don't know why it is with me that I prefer having nothing important to do/defer over having a challenge. What most people would consider boredom I consider having fixed everything into an orderly stasis. It doesn't allow me to progress toward other goals because I truly have no goals (other than at a minimum to be healthy). As such an ennui born of satiety ensues and I am comforted by the notion that I really have nothing to do. That in-the-moment drifting lack of engagement is what I feebly tried to describe as Zen-boredom. If I try to get there I destroy it, so I procrastinate and I seem to be rewarded.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:51 am A student asked P.J. O'Rourke (who passed away this week) this question when I saw him at University Auditorium AKA Centennial Hall my freshman year (wish I could remember P.J.'s answer):

"If you kept your hand held in a fist for a very long time, perhaps for several months or longer, would your fingernails grow out of the back of your hand?"
You see? That right there should be a meditative koan for the Zen message board.

Bhikus: "No! Because the fingernails would grow out of the back of the hand of another."
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:18 am
Longhorned wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:09 pm

I don't know why it is with me that I prefer having nothing important to do/defer over having a challenge. What most people would consider boredom I consider having fixed everything into an orderly stasis. It doesn't allow me to progress toward other goals because I truly have no goals (other than at a minimum to be healthy). As such an ennui born of satiety ensues and I am comforted by the notion that I really have nothing to do. That in-the-moment drifting lack of engagement is what I feebly tried to describe as Zen-boredom. If I try to get there I destroy it, so I procrastinate and I seem to be rewarded.
That does sound pretty good. So, what's the experience like for you when you're driving or doing the dishes?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

My wife doesn't particularly like me to be in the kitchen. Just getting bottled water from the fridge makes me feel like something in a jar. She also used to be a helicopter and fixed-wing pilot so she does most of the driving if we're not on dirt. Besides, the car environment, something about the visual field set-up makes me sleepy. So she drives and we talk between my naps.

But I understand the appeal of the "drive-mind" distraction because when I used to do forestry I'd drive to sites in the dark of the morning, and it's wonderful because there's no mental exercise to perform. No numbers to generate and remember, no physical task to perform. I miss that.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:45 pm She also used to be a helicopter
I had an aunt that thought she was a lighthouse. Had a hard time getting her off the garage roof when it rained.

But huge props marrying a strong woman like that. My wife drives maybe less than 1% of the time we are in the car together.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My wife never drives. Doesn't really know how. Too bad I took 3 gummies on the night I had to take our dog to the animal hospital. She did her best but what a shit show. After she dropped me off there, I didn't know how she'd make it home.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That’s amazing. More so because I’ve met your wife and yeah, she’s doesn’t seem to be the driving type.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:53 pm That’s amazing. More so because I’ve met your wife and yeah, she’s doesn’t seem to be the driving type.
What's scary is she's exactly the kind of person that the state says yeah, let's give her a drivers license. She's good enough to put on the road surrounded by innocent civilians, and let's renew her license automatically over and over again.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Deuces are wild!

It's 2:22 on 2/22/22
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:22 pm Deuces are wild!

Just wait until it’s 22:22.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

On a TWOsday with many of you in TWOson!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Would you have any qualms about getting your car washed at a business named Naked Guy Car Wash?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:02 pm Would you have any qualms about getting your car washed at a business named Naked Guy Car Wash?
Depends on what they’re using to buff the hood.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:56 am
Longhorned wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:02 pm Would you have any qualms about getting your car washed at a business named Naked Guy Car Wash?
And what about an astronomy professor who everyone could swear keeps saying "naked guy" instead of "naked eye"?

"... and during the first week of winter in the northern hemisphere, viewers can see it with the naked guy, as long as they're willing to wake up at three in the morning."

Should this person be fired? Or is this what tenure is actually for?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This thread is completely random
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

One more post on this topic:

If, during the Q&A following a planetarium film, you asked a few too many question using that term and put the emphasis on the first word ("Could you still see it with NAKED eye?"), would you succeed at producing a mixture of discomfort and giggles among your fellow audience members?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:56 am
Whatever makes it look brand spunking new.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:25 am This thread is completely random
Anarchy is fine as long as it's well planned.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:46 am One more post on this topic:

If, during the Q&A following a planetarium film, you asked a few too many question using that term and put the emphasis on the first word ("Could you still see it with NAKED eye?"), would you succeed at producing a mixture of discomfort and giggles among your fellow audience members?
I think you should replace “naked” with “nude”.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

When some woman speaks to you with a smile and a nordic or German accent, do you ever get the feeling that some kind of buttery baked dessert with apples just might be forthcoming?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Women are always using their strudel to flirt with me.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I wish there was a Dean Martin song that went:

"Maybe she's gone away and left me all alone,
(ba ba da da daa)
Maybe she took the kids, the dog - hey! where's the phone?"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If I were still a memorial service-crashing single guy, I might try out this pick-up line:

"We have our choice of internment or cremation, but why not canning? If it preserves two servings of Dinty Moore stew for time immemorial, surely it could preserve you. All you'd need is a bigger can!"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you ever want to really mess with life at some innocent person’s expense, have a regular meeting with a co-worker in your office with the door open. Then, follow up with an email to the person saying someone overheard your conversation and felt that you were being unnecessarily hard on the co-worker, and this surprised and worried you because you don’t understand what could have conveyed that and had nothing but positive thoughts in mind. Then, have an entire sheet cake delivered to the co-worker, decorated with words, “I APPRECIATE YOU!”
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

No balloons?

What about a “World’s Best Coworker” mug?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd be more inclined toward a generic store brand that labeled itself, "Cheap MoFo".
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've been in bed for 16 hours.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Don't change those lucky sheets for another 5 wins.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm in the maverick saloon on 19th Ave and there are bras in the rafters.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azgreg wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:44 am I've been in bed for 16 hours.
Funny enough, I was in bed all weekend too. Especially Sunday. No energy to even go downstairs and watch our second round win Vs TCU. Listened on the radio instead, half awake/asleep.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’m kicking it outside. What a night. Kicking out some old skool jamz and enjoying the warm sunset.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How on earth was this filmed?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Dear Carcassdragger

You're an idiot.

Signed,
Carcassdragger.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
George Costanza

Post by George Costanza »

Cd,
You may think you're an idiot, but

Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You can change your height if you want. Not just rounding up from 5' 9.5", but changing to any height you want. Like 6-foot-7.

Just fold your chosen height into any conversation at work. There are limits that prevent anyone from not granting you your chosen height.

"The toilets?" you'll say. "I don't care about the toilets. It's the sinks that are the problem! I hurt my back bending forward to wash my hands. I'm 6-foot-7!"

"What? You're not 6-foot-7."

"I weigh 200 pounds!"

"I don't doubt that, but...."

"Are you saying I'm fat?!"

You'll be surprised how quickly they stop contradicting you. Enjoy your chosen height. You'll be glad you did.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Virtus Bologna (Liga Seria A basketball), 1946-47 team:

Which one of these guys is you? I think I might be #4.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

#5 has seen some shit.

Tonight, I am #5.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Those guys are all probably like 27 but look 45. War will do that to ya
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:39 am Those guys are all probably like 27 but look 45. War will do that to ya
Yeah but so will just being Italian.