The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:34 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:46 pm Buying a used two-mile plug-in hybrid. Phoenix has to be good for something.
Prius Prime?
Yup, but it was supposed to read "low-mile plug-in". Redneck that I am, I wanted a Rav4 Prime. But I am married, and retired, so, ya know, even though I wanted something I could take around the shores of Arrowrock reservoir and on up over the hill into the Idaho City RD to prowl around my old haunts, so no. (sigh)

* edit: If I had Longhorned's Death Star balls I'd have a TRD plug-in hybrid diesel 4X4 imported from overseas with a fucking snorkel and 10-ply M606s. But noooooo .....
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Was casually people watching while sauntering through Scottsdale last Friday and got to thinking how since maybe 70s and increasingly since then, especially thanks to obsessive self-promotion on social media, we as a collective society have merged the idea of self Image and Personality.

The definition of Image is self-explanatory but the definition of Personality has been hotly debated across sociology, psychology, and philosophy since the 1800s. Given their differing definitional complexities, maybe the masses leaning on Image as Personality is for the sake of the population's ease for substituting the intricate for the simple, depth of character for instant appeal of appearance.

Fitzgerald’s brisk attempt in Great Gatsby was: “…personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures…”

Nevertheless, from what I see in Scottsdale and online, personality, in its more formless nature, might be best approached indirectly, by defining what it’s not rather than what it is.

Personality is NOT dying your hair unconventional colors (Image). Is NOT being a Cubs fan (Image). Is NOT vaping the Juul (Image). Is NOT knowing all about the different IPAs at the bar (Image). Is NOT updating your social media profiles to reflect the latest causes (Image). Is NOT getting Peloton for Christmas (Image). Is NOT standing strong when it comes to your interpretations of Star Wars (Image).
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I have no understanding of the intellectual debate about Personality, but imo affectation is what America pays attention to.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd appreciate any explanation of what's going on in the vicinity of the elbow of this pitcher's throwing arm. Thank you in advance.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

We are now further away from the premier of The Osbournes MTV Reality Show (March 5 2002) than the premier of The Osbournes is to when Ozzy Osbourne infamously bit the head off a bat while performing his "Diary of a Madman" tour at Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines on January 20 1982.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Today my wife opened up a can of whoopass on someone for their mindbogglingly tone-deaf and cuntish behavior: both barrels and a homemade shiv. My life is now orders of magnitude more complicated, tense, and painful.

And yet my mind is absolutely quiet.

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:07 am I'd appreciate any explanation of what's going on in the vicinity of the elbow of this pitcher's throwing arm. Thank you in advance.

The man is a saint. He's providing a host site to grow an ear to replace the one a dog bit off a 6 year old kid.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

How are you supposed to pronounce the word MACABRE? Mah-Cobb? Or Muh-Cah-Bray? Muh-Cah-Ber?

Webster's definition: "Portraying human injury or death in a way so as to inspiring shock or horror."

I can just hear this snooty word showing up on an episode an episode of Frasier:

Frazier: "Did you see the drunk we had to step over in the elevator was lying in a puddle of their own vomit?"
Niles: "And I smelled it too - how macabre!"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Watching "Evil" right now, although not really a fan of the show, I think the characters are great.

There is a crypto currency on the show run by the dark side, called Makob.

That's how I pronounce it.
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:28 am How are you supposed to pronounce the word MACABRE? Mah-Cobb? Or Muh-Cah-Bray? Muh-Cah-Ber?

Webster's definition: "Portraying human injury or death in a way so as to inspiring shock or horror."

I can just hear this snooty word showing up on an episode an episode of Frasier:

Frazier: "Did you see the drunk we had to step over in the elevator was lying in a puddle of their own vomit?"
Niles: "And I smelled it too - how macabre!"
I think Meh-Cobb is most commonly used but Meh-Cabre also works.

If you are a fan of old horror movies (e.g.'s Vincent Price, Bela Lugosi) the term was quite often used so not sure I would label the word "snooty".

Damn commoner. :lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I thought it was muh-cobb.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I thought it was shuh-shev-skee.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you HAD to choose between one of these two roommates, which one?

A) A straight-face guy who finished literally everything he said with, "M'kay? N'wha I'm sayin'?"

or

B) An eager-faced guy who replied to literally everything you said with, "Well yeah! You know what?" (and then builds upon what you said in a supportive way)

?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I couldn't face either face.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am I couldn't face either face.
So you'll pay for the whole apartment?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Same with Dove, neither.

I was about as poor a college student as they come, and after spending 4 years in the USAF having roommates, I decided I didn't want another ever.

So I chose to lower my standards of living, and live in real poor neighborhoods. But I was so much happier for it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I agree, too. I'd rather find any other solution than having a roommate.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:53 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am I couldn't face either face.
So you'll pay for the whole apartment?
Happily, until I had to choose between:

A: a Kate Beckinsale faced roommate who replied to everything I said with "But baby, why do you still have your clothes on?"

or

B. an Emily Blunt faced roommate who finished every sentence with "Baby, come keep me warm."

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Ever wonder what those holes in the console are for ....... condiments.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That appears to be a QT buffalo chicken roller
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

This is digging way back into childhood memories, but does anybody remember if at one time there were radio stations that would air uncut TV broadcasts??? I vaguely remember my Mom, circa 1992(?), flipping on a radio station that would air ABC shows in parallel with the live ABC TV broadcasts.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:46 am This is digging way back into childhood memories, but does anybody remember if at one time there were radio stations that would air uncut TV broadcasts??? I vaguely remember my Mom, circa 1992(?), flipping on a radio station that would air ABC shows in parallel with the live ABC TV broadcasts.
No, but my grandparents had a real old school satellite dish (it must have been 15 feet across) in their rural town and the live sports broadcasts didn’t go to commercial. Instead you had a live steady cam of the field, and occasionally the announcers would forget to switch off their mics so you’d hear some unfiltered thoughts and on one distinct occasion a very dirty joke about why Dr. Pepper comes in bottles.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I do recall seeing radios with TV channels on them, but they just used the same analog signal the TVs did.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I recall in the mid 90s, when working in the woods (Boise National Forest) there was no useable radio signal except a NASCAR broadcast that was clearly a TV broadcast. You could tell by convo context the announcers expected you to be able to see things. It was a real barn-burner I tell ya (/s) but I was so bored and burned out from a long season I just listened to car engines and yammering rednecks for a couple hours.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

It's ok, perfectly decent and even socially proper for the collective masses to regard celebrities with distrust or even contempt and to play captivated audience to their downfall. It keeps celebrity ego accountable to consequence, which is why I don't necessarily view the trashy tabloid industry as such a bad thing:
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I was reading an article about Draymond Green latest meltdown.

"This wasn’t a battle over basketball’s culture. This was a forceful rebuke of Green, who rarely encounters a line he won’t cross and whose behavior has been tolerated for so long he has shattered perceptions of how to judge him fairly ............... But for all the trouble he has gotten into, Green has been able to avoid so much more. He epitomizes the notion that the referees can’t call everything. For Green, that includes excessive badgering of officials, even after he has already received one technical, because the referees are often reluctant to influence outcomes by tossing him."

If you set aside how good he is at basketball in an absolute sense and judge him merely by his bullshit, I've decided he reminds me of Trump.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Random thoughts, but my mind drifted off to wondering why (or how) we, as a species, evolved away from consuming raw meats? Wouldn't it be to our evolutionary advantage for our system to continue handling raw meat? And I wonder how the tradeoff exactly worked? According to the long game of evolution, and assuming the human race could previously consume bloody meats, at some point the human race would've had to stop consuming raw meat long enough for the evolutionary adaption to take hold (which would take hundreds if not thousands of years given how sick raw meat can make us). And why would the human race stop consuming raw meat to begin with???

As far as I know we're the only large species that doesn't digest raw meat well. Although my pets prefer cooked meat that's because they are spoiled.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

But we do still consume raw meat. Sushi and beef tartare for example. It’s just that the chance of catching some bad bacteria is higher consuming uncooked animal proteins.

Before we had hospitals and modern medicine, the chance of death by food poisoning was too great to take the risk. Now it’s pretty unlikely you’ll die so why not throw some hot sauce on some raw oysters and go to town.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My just as spoiled dogs won't eat raw egg anymore. Has to be scrambled or over medium.

As long as beef steak is cooked on the outside, the inside can be quite rare. My daughter one time had an Italian boyfriend who ordered his steak "blue". I don't mind rare beef, but it has to be warm.

Ancient religions banned eating pork and shellfish due to possible dangers with bacteria. Now it's almost near impossible to catch Trichinosis from pork from a processing plant and pork no longer needs to be well done.

Wild boars are different though.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Amoebas, parasites, bacteria, are all killed in the heat process, right? Makes food more durable and transportable and storable. Curing, drying, salting are substitutes, I guess.

Most impressive are Merkin's dogs: over medium is to be appreciated.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

People can still die from eating oysters
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

They died of shitty luck and impeccable taste.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Americans love to blow up stuff!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That looked like my central coast neighborhood last night.

And none of those are legal in CA unless you have a license.

Not my hood.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Vegas news - this arena opens in September - concerts, films and even sports. It has a 18,000+ capacity!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:44 pm Vegas news - this arena opens in September - concerts, films and even sports. It has a 18,000+ capacity!!!
Opening act - U2
"Sphere is more than just a venue, it’s a gallery and U2’s music is going to be all over the walls,” adds The Edge. "The beauty of Sphere is not only the ground-breaking technology that will make it so unique, with the world’s most advanced audio system, integrated into a structure which is designed with sound quality as a priority; it’s also the possibilities around immersive experience in real and imaginary landscapes.

"In short, it’s a canvas of an unparalleled scale and image resolution and a once-in-a-generation opportunity. We all thought about it and decided we’d be mad not to accept the invitation."

Amongst the many features you'll find at MSG Sphere that won't be found at your local dive bar are an "immersive display plane" that wraps up, over and around the audience, the highest resolution LED screen in the known universe, 10,000 seats with "Infrasound Haptic System", the world's largest "Beamforming Audio System" and super high-speed broadband.

For a complete list of presale, general sale, VIP and hotel packages, visit u2.ticketmaster.com. Tickets start at $140.

U2:UV Achtung Baby Live At Sphere 2023 dates

Sep 29: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Sep 30: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 05: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 07: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 08: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 11: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 13: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 14: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 18: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 20: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 21: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 25: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 27: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Oct 28: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 01: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 03: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 04: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Dec 01: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 02: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 06: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 08: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 09: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 13: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 15: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV
Nov 16: Las Vegas Sphere at The Venetian, NV

― Kinky Friedman
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:53 am I was reading an article about Draymond Green latest meltdown.

If you set aside how good he is at basketball in an absolute sense and judge him merely by his bullshit, I've decided he reminds me of Trump.
And last week the Warriors resigned Draymond to a $100M/4yr contract! A 33 yr old player who's slowing productivity is taking a backseat to his combustible antics.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The next time you see a 70ish year old woman ...... do the math, kids.

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Heh.

I just digitized that for my car USB stick. By 'just' I mean I finished it about 60 seconds before I opened the browser to look at the forum.

Originally released on "Future Blues" (1970) Liberty Records LST-11002

Nice video, by the way.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Bear with me on this one: there's a Popeye's near a steak place we frequent, and given that the single time we ever had Popeye's chicken I enjoyed the batter because it reminded me of my maternal Grandmother's Texas Panhandle mid-century batter, Mrs. Dove and I began speculating. Could such batter be imparted to a potato (of proper, yet-to-be-determined-size) which contained in an interior cavity a pre-cooked portion of some fat-laden meat such as pork belly or pork rib (of proper, yet-to-be-determined size) such that the entire combination yielded a crispy yet moist and gloriously breaded carbohydrate-encased gob of pig candy. It could present as a full-sized "baked potato entrée" or (if possible) a bite-sized appetizer-sized popper. Bacon could figure into an exterior somehow, don't ya reckon? Anyway, we pondered names. Porchettato? Popperchetta?

................. "Love porkbelly from Popeye's!

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Related. Bobby Q's has a jumbo BBQ potato.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Mmmmm, related in a good way, but not quite incestuous enough.

~ Wilhoit's Law
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azgreg wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:07 pm Related. Bobby Q's has a jumbo BBQ potato.

I used to get those in TN before I moved out here.

They would put a scoop each of sour cream and butter on them before loading it with meat and cheese.

Vinegar based sauce would go perfectly with it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Does anyone actually like the taste of original Red Bull? Speaking for a friend, it tastes like Soviet-era worm medicine.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Is there a thread about other online forums?

~ Wilhoit's Law