Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: WWII

Post by 84Cat »

WW1 but I didn't want to start a new thread
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ That is quite a life story.

This is awful: Brooks was assigned as a caretaker to three white officers. His job was to cook, drive and take care of their clothes.

but like he said, it kept him out of the combat zone. I would probably be OK with doing that too.

Along with other dangerous tasks assigned to African Americans at the time, such as ammo loaders. This is Port Chicago in Oakland, CA, where hundreds of African Americans died when munition ships exploded.

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I've done quite a bit of reading on WW 2. I've been through almost all of "The Things Our Fathers Saw" series and " The Pacific" and quite a few real good books on the European air war as well as several on the American submarine campaign in the Pacific.

One of the very best is "Citizen Soldiers" by Stephen Ambrose. It follows Charlie Company of the 101st Airborne from the day after D Day to the end of the war. It describes the terrible carnage, suffering, and just vicious warfare these guys endured. Very highly recommended.

I just started "Lightening Down" about a P 38 pilot that was shot down and ended up in Buchenwald which is a notorious concentration camp. So far it's a good read.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Wat. Do you mean Band of Brothers about E Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division? Citizen Soldiers is about stories of soldiers across the ETO from after D-Day to VE Day.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Yeah you're right. It follows many units. It's been a while since I read it. But it left a strong impression on me.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well that was well done, not sure why the American was so fat though. Americans are fat yes, but the military is quite strict about weight.

The Chinese set should have had some missing rifles too, during the Korean War they didn't have enough rifles so some soldiers had to wait until others were shot.

Loved the DPRK rocket, and the German Panzerfaust.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://climaterwc.com/2022/03/21/diver ... wood-city/

Amazing read from a diver who dove into the Arizona and Oklahoma after Pearl Harbor
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Not WWII but...........

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hard to let this day go by and not remember Those brave men who stormed the beaches of Normandy to liberate a continent and save the world. Incredible bravery
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

So very few of them left. Your youngest WW2 veteran today is probably about 95-96 years old. The average age of an army infantryman in 1944-45 was 26. That'd make them 104 today. In 10 years they'll be all gone.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Amazing how much the world has changed since then. In today's world, Tucker Carlson and Donald Trump would be praising Hitler for his successes against communism, along with "Germany has done nothing against us".
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Crazy to think that on June 6th we were losing half our men of the first wave to hit Omaha Beach and by the morning of June 7th it was a working port unloading tens of thousands of troops and thousands of tanks and artillery pieces to unleash hell on Hitler’s armies.

The effort that must have taken, and the sacrifice, is almost unfathomable.

Merkin wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:35 am Amazing how much the world has changed since then. In today's world, Tucker Carlson and Donald Trump would be praising Hitler for his successes against communism, along with "Germany has done nothing against us".
Not sure the world has changed that much. We had a thriving American Nazi Party in the 1930s and Father Coughlin played the role of Tucker Carlson.

This country has always had a strong pro-Fascism/White Male Supremacy movement. It’s the reason we aren’t a more egalitarian society today.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Very true Chi. I was part of a discussion on FB where there were posts stating that German-Americans on the east coast were treated as badly as the Japanese-Americans were on the west coast.

What kind of revisioning bullshit is that?

It's no wonder I keep getting put in FB jail.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

LOL, as if feeling like you need to tell people you’re Swiss or Dutch instead of German is the same as being kicked out of your home, forced to give up your business, and shipped to some Idaho concentration camp.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I am of German descent on both sides of my family (in the 40's they were all in Wisconsin) and I have never heard one word about discrimination against German-Americans in my whole life.
-JB
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

My Mother, who has since passed, lived through that period as a young girl growing up in Rome during the height of WWII. She had some interesting perspectives of what went on during that time period based on the information they were privy to. Not like there was cable TV nor the internet. Needless to say she had acquired quite a mistrust for Governments coming out of that experience.

But she told me one story that she never got out of her mind (which says a lot about the absurdity of war):

It was towards the end of the war and the U.S. was marching "up" through Italy and the apartment they lived in was across from a bridge that the Germans were holding. At one point they realized a huge US division was on its way totally outnumbering the German troups who were guarding this bridge. So they pulled out quickly but left 2 young soldiers - my Mom said they had to be no more than 18 years old - only armed with rifles to guard the bridge. So basically it was a suicide assignment but the 2 young soldiers didn't move a muscle. They just stood guard. My Mom said she couldn't help but watch those young kids stand their post without moving until the US forces finally showed up and mowed them down. It left a mark with my Mother for quite a long time.

Waste of young lives no matter where one is from and just one story out of millions that people during that time had to endure.

Just sad.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The very last member of the "Band of Brothers", E Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment passed away this weekend. RIP Brad Freeman.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:16 am I am of German descent on both sides of my family (in the 40's they were all in Wisconsin) and I have never heard one word about discrimination against German-Americans in my whole life.
My German ancestors came over in 1882 to find relatives in the area and ended up Minnesota to get out of putting their sons into combat with the Prussian Army. My G-G-G-GF served in the Prussian army with a minor battle against the Austrians and decided it wasn't a life for him and his family.

Never heard any stories of my family having issues with anti-German sentiment. But with me living out west in an agricultural area, the Japanese influence was really strong and from what I can perceive out here, readily accepted as a part of the community and were welcome to return home as many non-Japanese farmers managed their farms for them while they were in the camps. Although many did lose their farms and homes while gone for years.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:46 am
I was fortunate to have met him, and two of the other Code Talkers in Farmington, New Mexico in 2005.

I was a member of the New Mexico Advisory Committee to The U S Commission on Civil Rights, and the committee conducted a 30-year follow-up hearing to its 1975 report The Farmington Report: A Conflict of Cultures.

That report "examines issues relating to community attitudes; the administration of justice; provisions of health and medical services; alcohol abuse and alcoholism; employment; and economic development on the Navajo Reservation and its real and potential impact on the city of Farmington and San Juan County. From testimony of participants during a 3-day open meeting in Farmington and from extensive field investigation, the Advisory Committee has concluded that Native Americans in almost every area suffer from injustice and maltreatment." At the time, it was pretty explosive stuff, showing significant parallels to the 50's & 60's civil rights violations in the South.

The follow-up hearings (Three days) were to examine the current status of the civil rights findings from the 1975 report. The members of the Navajo Nation that testified were most impressive overall, and the local government of Farmington (Republican Mayor and Council) were also very good. However, there were still significant issues with Law Enforcement, disparities in health care access and employment discrimination that continued.

None of the Code Talkers testified, but each, along with most of the Navajo people in attendance, personally thanked each of the commissioners at the end of the hearings.

One of the most moving events of my life....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Learned about Parade of the Vanquished earlier this week when told about it on its July 17 anniversary earlier this week.

After the Soviets took control of the Eastern Front over one hundred and forty thousand German troops were captured. As a visual display of victory, Moscow decided to march thousands of captured troops through the city. 57,000 were chosen based on their physical ability to do the march. They were not allowed to tidy up their uniforms so as to look haggard and defeated.

After their forced march through Moscow, they, along with those not chosen for the march, were placed into rail cars and shipped to gulags across Siberia. Many died. The small percentages who survived their roughly decade long custody were allowed to return to East Germany in the 1950s.

Video linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1YZoAc1NFc
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That documentary said the Germans were well fed. I had read prior that the German POWs were fed cabbage soup either due to the food shortage, or to further humiliate themselves by giving them intestinal distress and having them shit themselves.

Could have been urban legend though due to the cleanup afterwards.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »