The Weather is Crazy

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

the real dill

Re: The Weather is Crazy

Post by the real dill »

ASUHATER! wrote:Shouldn't you have evacuated?
They asked Houston not to evacuate so the coastal residents could get out. However, it's looking really bad this morning.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This guy rides out hurricane landfalls.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The one good thing about living in the desert is no floods.

Yet I still pay an extra $180 a month on my mortgage for flood insurance.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dill, you guys ok?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Sounds like Houston is under water

Stay safe dill
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:shock:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah that's like 20 feet of water on the freeway

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

KHOU just went off the air. They had to evacuate.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The pictures from my family living in Houston and the surrounding areas are just unbelievable. They say it is supposed to rain through Wednesday.

I doubt you could get out if you wanted to move to higher ground now. Beginning to get really worried about there safety
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

This is shaping up to be one of the worst natural disasters in the last century.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Nephew in Bellaire. They are currently moving everything from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor. They have to wait until the water gets to the 2nd story to call for rescue. No flooding at the in-laws in the Woodlands.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It's almost too late for people to really leave now with a ton of the freeways and major streets all being under like 3-20 feet of water

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My best friend from my UofA days lives in NW Houston, he says they are fine (only 13" of rain), but his in-laws in SE Houston already have 4 inches of water on the bottom floor. They have already had 20 - 25 inches in that area.

He is supposed to be coming out Thursday with one of his daughters for a tour of UofA and the NAU game and I am wondering if he'll make it. :cry:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote:Nephew in Bellaire. They are currently moving everything from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor. They have to wait until the water gets to the 2nd story to call for rescue. No flooding at the in-laws in the Woodlands.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

14 feet above the previous record flood stage is biblical.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No idea how to embed Instagram photos, but this shows downtown Houston a couple hours ago. With another 20 inches of rain the entirety of downtown will be under like 3-20 feet of water. Like every building affected.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYTZ6PLBuLe/" target="_blank

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Remember Larry the Cable Guy's shtick: "Leave it to New Orleans to build a city below sea level and to fill it full of Democrats"....

The same can't be said of Houston or of the source of motivation of the current president. As in everything he does, Trump's vanity will determine his level of concern. As Gov. Abbott makes statements re: public assistance I hear the implied prejudice: "Take comfort white Texans, we're coming for you first."
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I wouldn't doubt that rescue boats and helicopters are going towards the richer parts of town first

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I wouldn't doubt that rescue boats and helicopters are going towards the richer parts of town first
American triage.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hoping with all of me that Dill and his family are ok.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:Hoping with all of me that Dill and his family are ok.
As am I, and Hoya cat and Azlax and all other Message board buddies.

Just got back from the backcountry and catching up. This is terrible.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

:P You guys are awesome. We are well and don't have water in the house yet. The creek behind us has out of the banks, but we just need a little breather. I really appreciate the kind thoughts. Crazy stressful situation. Wife and I are sleeping in shifts. We have life jackets and my kayak ready if we need to seek higher ground. My sister in Bellaire had to swim to the freeway where the National Guard had mobilized. Luckily my daughter seems oblivious to what is going on around us. This is a mile from our house.
https://www.facebook.com/addjosh/posts/ ... 2498222957" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Looks like the heavy stuff has moved east to the Beaumont/Port Arthur area. Here's hoping that's the breather you guys need.

Has anyone in charge said anything about what will happen if this fucker moves back over water and regenerates? Will they look to evacuate people in that scenario?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

the real dill wrote: Wife and I are sleeping in shifts. We have life jackets and my kayak ready if we need to seek higher ground. My sister in Bellaire had to swim to the freeway where the National Guard had mobilized.
I had to re-read this part several times. That is just nuts. Did you ever think you'd write something that that?

Glad your family is well and hoping this thing dies out soon. I couldn't imagine living in that area right now.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:
the real dill wrote: Wife and I are sleeping in shifts. We have life jackets and my kayak ready if we need to seek higher ground. My sister in Bellaire had to swim to the freeway where the National Guard had mobilized.
I had to re-read this part several times. That is just nuts. Did you ever think you'd write something that that?

Glad your family is well and hoping this thing dies out soon. I couldn't imagine living in that area right now.
No shit.

"I live in Houston, TX and I have an emergency escape kayak." smh, that's the damnedest thought.

Be safe Dill. You and yours are in our thoughts.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

the real dill wrote::P You guys are awesome. We are well and don't have water in the house yet. The creek behind us has out of the banks, but we just need a little breather. I really appreciate the kind thoughts. Crazy stressful situation. Wife and I are sleeping in shifts. We have life jackets and my kayak ready if we need to seek higher ground. My sister in Bellaire had to swim to the freeway where the National Guard had mobilized. Luckily my daughter seems oblivious to what is going on around us. This is a mile from our house.
https://www.facebook.com/addjosh/posts/ ... 2498222957" target="_blank
Best of luck, man. I'm hoping it gets better from here. God bless and take care of the family.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

ASUHATER! wrote:I wouldn't doubt that rescue boats and helicopters are going towards the richer parts of town first
Actually totally untrue. You must know nothing about Houston.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Hoya Cat and family are good and I also know that Azlax is fine. Hunkered down in high ground with everything prepared if need be for 1-2 weeks.

This is Epic rainfall. Some areas may receive up to 50 inches of rain in less than 5 - 6 days! This type of hurricane/tropical storm pattern is virtually unprecedented. The NWS had to change their rainfall color codes for their maps to accommodate the rate of rainfall. When the first bands came in where I live, we got 5-6 inches of rain in the first HOUR!

The national news spins things a bit, but the Houston, Harris County and Fort Bend regional officials have been excellent. It's an amazing response that includes a large number of citizen volunteers with flat bottomed boats to assist in getting people out of flooded areas.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:
I never said I was right or that it was actually happening that way, but I would love to see all your sources that show you know exactly what's happening with every boat and rescue crew in the city. I'll wait patiently.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Great to hear Hoya. Thanks for checking in. Didn't know you guys were in Houston.

Oh and Hater ..... you don't have to be a dick.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:Great to hear Hoya. Thanks for checking in. Didn't know you guys were in Houston.

Only am a dick when people are a dick first.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

He's posting in the middle of biblical-level flooding. You can let it go.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I dunno...thinking you know about rescue operations in Houston in city you've never lived in and then asking a poster who's actually living through this tragedy to give you information to verify his likely more accurate assessment is kinda dickish don't you think?

Nah....you'll hunker down and send out more weak sauce shit from the comfort of your computer screen while bitching and moaning about how conservatives don't have empathy and humanity...that's pretty fucking rich.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I know right now people are focusing on rescue operations, and at some point will transition to recovery.

What are some things those of us who live far away can do to assist? I feel hesitate to donate to American Red Cross given their past mismanagement, but I do want to do something. Also donating money is easy, it is there anything else like purchasing and sending water etc?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Money is the best way to help. Doesn't need to be transported or sorted. And there are a lot of groups outside of the Red Cross.

Greater Houston Community Fund
Houston Food Bank
Galveston County Food Bank
Texas Diaper Bank
Houston Humane Society
Texas SPCA
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:
I never said I was right or that it was actually happening that way, but I would love to see all your sources that show you know exactly what's happening with every boat and rescue crew in the city. I'll wait patiently.
I mean, he lives there and you don't.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:Great to hear Hoya. Thanks for checking in. Didn't know you guys were in Houston.

Only am a dick when people are a dick first.
He wasn't a dick. He said you were wrong and obviously know nothing about Houston. He was correct on both accounts. If you could see local coverage, it may restore your faith in humanity. People here are amazing, and the rescue efforts are amazing. There are 100s of stories just like this being broadcast right now:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AustinKeller ... .320423%2F" target="_blank
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Alieberman wrote:

No. I'm not even in a flood plane. The 500 year flood plane is 2 miles from my house. That tells you how bad this storm is. We've already had more than double the rain New Orleans got from Katrina. Matthew is reforming in the gulf and about to hit us again tomorrow. Hopefully we stay on the clean side tomorrow. It's still pouring here. If we could just get an hour or even 30 minutes of a break, it would be life changing.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Making donation to Greater Houston Community Fund. Thanks for the research Chi. And trying to send open skies from San Antonio. It just isn't fair...there's not a cloud to be seen here.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks chi and dove.

My wife and I want to donate and prefer to get it as local as possible with a reputable organization.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:Thanks chi and dove.

My wife and I want to donate and prefer to get it as local as possible with a reputable organization.
Yeah I'm going to do the same , and there is a lot of waste donating to the Red Cross
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Thanks chi and dove.

Yeah I'm going to do the same , and there is a lot of waste donating to the Red Cross
They do a lot of good too. I don't want to discourage anyone from donating to the Red Cross. They are often the first responders with any kind of aid in the wake of disasters such as this, even before the government. And they are there whether the event gets wall to wall national news coverage or not.

But imagine for a second if we lived in a country where the government was the first responder both with life saving AND life sustaining actions. Why are we so dependent on whether people are charitable to ensure that people get food, clothing, shelter, and medicine in the wake of things of this nature? I would much rather my tax dollars go to establishing FEMA as a true disaster relief agency than to more R&D on the F35 Raptor or whatever other killing machines we think up next.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I am in complete agreeement with that statement.

The cost of one or two patriots missles could go a long way in situations such as this.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Looks like it's still raining. :cry:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RIP Officer

:(