The Weather is Crazy

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: The Weather is Crazy

Post by pc in NM »

RichardCranium wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:11 am
Irish27 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:00 pm
That's my favorite thing I miss about Tucson.

Used to sit on the front porch with a beer and a dooby and watch the storms come across everyday like clockwork. The best times were with lightening of course.
Did the same often...

but also remember being in a house with a swamp cooler with a group of people (dinner, party, etc.), and as a storm approached, the rising humidity reduced the effectiveness of the swamp cooler, and it became really uncomfortable - even worse were the times the rain didn't make it exactly to that neighborhood.

How often does one place get hammered, and 6-10 blocks away, nada???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I never had anything other than a swamp cooler. You learn to turn the pump off in humid weather. It's only too humid for maybe 10 days in August.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SoCal about to get smacked by a tropical storm. Hopefully it fills up some reservoirs.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The snowpack melt is doing a good job of that too.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:53 am SoCal about to get smacked by a tropical storm. Hopefully it fills up some reservoirs.
Most reservoirs are nearly, if not completely full this summer.

Heavy rains could actually be a threat to some of the overflows....

Before-and-after aerial images show California reservoirs’ dramatic rebound after years of drought - https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ial-images

How Extreme Weather Could Threaten California’s Dams - https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/05/us/c ... ather.html
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Supposed to leave for the Maldives on Tuesday....really hoping this storm doesn't affect my flight.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Same boat. Scheduled for a Monday morning flight out of San Diego. Certain that won't happen. 2 or 3 day at least. It's for work travel so not bothered. Would rather be sheltering in my place with my pets.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Transformers blowing is definitely Funky Town.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s the hottest day of the year in the Chicago region, so you know what would be perfect to roll out??

Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte!!!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:43 am It’s the hottest day of the year in the Chicago region, so you know what would be perfect to roll out??

Hey man, that's my favorite Dunkin flavor so don't go dissing my Pumpkin.

:lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:49 am
Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:43 am It’s the hottest day of the year in the Chicago region, so you know what would be perfect to roll out??

Well throw on a cardigan and come on over! We’ll sip it by a roaring fire on this crisp 98 degree day.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:56 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:49 am

Well throw on a cardigan and come on over! We’ll sip it by a roaring fire on this crisp 98 degree day.
How 'bout I bring over a nice bottle of Bourbon and we put the A/C on high?

It sounds like I'm joking but as many times that I've driven to Ann Arbor from CT (10-11 hours) over the last year it's really not that far-fetched. :roll:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m about 3 hours from Ann Arbor so I’ll supply the bourbon, the AC, and a bed to pass out face first into.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

It appears the hurricane is going to hit Nova Scotia as a cat 1. But there is a decent chance it will make landfall in Maine. I am watching this one closely. I live an hour off the coast so I am not concerned about the tide, but flooding will be big. I live elevated above the river, on a hill. So I will watch streams of water flow around my house. I am not concerned about my car being underwater, but there definitely will be by the river on Water Street (aptly named). In any case, even if Augusta isn't hit directly there will still be a lot of flooding.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It better not hit there hard. I'm getting married in Maine in 20 days
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:26 pm It better not hit there hard. I'm getting married in Maine in 20 days
Congrats, but you're screwed, and it's your fucking fault. HOW COULD YOU?!?!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Already tied the record of 53 days
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:26 pm It better not hit there hard. I'm getting married in Maine in 20 days
Hoping for the best for you
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Sobering recent New Yorker article on just how unlivable Phoenix summers are becoming; the numbers of heat related deaths across Maricopa County are increasing at much higher Summer totals.

Having recently spent two separate summer weeks in Phoenix – early July and early September – and having beforehand lived in Arizona off and on for years at a time, I caught myself sensing how much more relentlessly sweltering the sun-charged heat felt across the city.

And yes, as the article observes, the streets in central Phoenix appeared nearly empty throughout the July mid-day – "The streets seem abandoned" – something I hadn't really seen before giving the sheer population of Phoenix metro keeping the streets busy with traffic.

“Across the U.S. each year, significantly more people die from heat than from any other weather-related event, including hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and even rip currents. Many of these deaths are concentrated in and around Phoenix. In 2022, there were four hundred and twenty-five heat-associated deaths in Maricopa County—a twenty-five-per-cent increase from the previous year.

“Still, this summer, which included the hottest July ever recorded on the planet, has been different. Not only were the days scorching but there was a stretch of sixteen days when the nighttime low was ninety degrees or above, including one night when the low was ninety-seven degrees.”

“So far, the Maricopa County Office of the Medical Examiner has confirmed a hundred and eighty heat-associated deaths this year, with three hundred and thirty still under investigation. Both numbers are much higher than those at the same time last year, despite a lag in the data, since it takes about six weeks for the O.M.E. to conclude a death investigation. The O.M.E.—already one of the busiest medical examiner’s offices in the U.S.—has been overwhelmed.”
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Is this happening tomorrow? That would be 20 days.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea he's getting married tomorrow
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Getting dumped on up here in CT too. It's just not stopping.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Maine is in danger of the second tropical storm to hit in 3 weeks. Tropical storm Philippe is marking a turn to the west and, for the moment, supposed to hit the Bay of Fundy (again) and affect New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. If it turns just a little more west it will hit Maine directly. Bermuda is going to get hammered. At least it is only a tropical storm. But it is not good for leaf looking.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

My sister lives in Bermuda so I will be getting the play by play.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The hurricane that hit Acapulco this morning is crazy. It was not expected and nobody was prepared. It went from a tropical storm to a cat 5 hurricane in 12 hours. Nothing like that has ever happened before.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:19 am The hurricane that hit Acapulco this morning is crazy. It was not expected and nobody was prepared. It went from a tropical storm to a cat 5 hurricane in 12 hours. Nothing like that has ever happened before.
Went from nothing to a Cat. 5 and back to nothing in 36 hours. Totally unprecedented.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The videos out of Acapulco are apocalyptic. That city is fucking gone.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:54 pm today was under 100 in Tucson.

wtf how crazy is that?!
Be on alert for the black ice on Alvernon.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:53 pm The videos out of Acapulco are apocalyptic. That city is fucking gone.
It's absolutely insane. Nothing like that has ever happened.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:04 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:53 pm The videos out of Acapulco are apocalyptic. That city is fucking gone.
It's absolutely insane. Nothing like that has ever happened.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Those are small euro cars, but damn that’s crazy.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Coming down like crazy in the FH right now.

Full on thunderstorm.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Maybe I should move back to Arizona. I don’t mind the snow and cold. But the nor’easters are crazy.

On Monday, Maine got hit with a major storm. 3 inches of rain and 67 mph wind gusts. 90% of Kennebec County lost power. Hallowell is dark. Power has out for 24 hours. And the crews haven’t even start fixing the lines here yet. There are 90 extra crews from the Boston area, but there is so much widespread outage that it may take awhile to restore power. Every small town is affected in the county, most have no power at all. At least parts of Augusta have electricity so eating won’t be a problem. With no heat I may have to sleep at the hospital, where I work.

Yesterday, there was a down power line next to the house I live in. At least that has been repaired. In a couple days it is going to drop to the teens. At least the food I keep on the freezer won’t need to be on ice. I will just set it on the porch.

Rate have I been in something like this. It is like a small hurricane hit the area.

Time to hit the road so I can charge up my phone.

Edit: The main street in town is flooded with an expected 3 feet rise in water level from the Kennebec River. The street was aptly named as Water Street.

At least parts of Augusta is open. Going to the Ground Round and play Buzztime trivia, and eat.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I can't even imagine trying to keep warm in ME with no power. Don't think a fireplace can keep up, but then again, people did it for centuries.

My dad (still alive) grew up on a farm in Indiana with no heat, power or plumbing. As the oldest son, his chore was to go downstairs and fire up the wood stove in the kitchen. He said any water left out was frozen when he got up.

Even in coastal California, I use an indoor propane heater for zone heating. This works really well, even in cold nighttime temps although I don't run it after I go to bed. Pretty much a prepper in case of earthquake, and I am set for weeks.

I imagine their was a run on these at all the home improvement stores.

https://www.northerntool.com/products/m ... lsrc=aw.ds

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I heard electricity will be restored tomorrow. It is going to drop to 27 tonight. I can get a room at the hospital for free since I work there. And I can shower there. I did just buy a 12 pound blanket.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I lived through about 1-2 Nor’easters a year growing up in NY, and 2 hurricanes. I’ll take the hurricanes thank you.

You all got walloped, but be thankful it wasn’t followed by an ice storm. Those are the worst. Some places wouldn’t have power for weeks. People would be dying literally 10-15 days after the storm was over.

When I was a kid there was an old timer at my camp in Bridgton who would tell us stories of ships cracking in half over in Bar Harbor (“Baah Haabaah”) during the Nor’easter of ‘53 (or ‘52 or ‘55, I can’t remember). In 30 years you’ll be boring kids with stories of the ‘23 Walloper. ;)
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Well Im sure this doesn't help or maybe it does ... I haven't turned my heat on 2 of the last 3 winters in Tucson. My place did get down to 59°for a dew days but it was manageable
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Been a VERY mild late Fall/early Winter in the Chicago area. Snow on Halloween, another little bit first week of December, and absolutely none since. Not even remotely cold enough, which has me worried about my annual snowmobiling trip.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Jefe wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:47 pm Well Im sure this doesn't help or maybe it does ... I haven't turned my heat on 2 of the last 3 winters in Tucson. My place did get down to 59°for a dew days but it was manageable
The key is you had electricity. That makes a big difference. For a couple of days last winter it got down to almost -20. The heater where I live, shared by others, could only sustain a temperature of 54. But, at least I had electricity, and internet. I can wear a coat, or block off one room and use an electric space heater for a short tome. I can handle 54 degrees, but life is a little different in those environments. Hint, don't open the door after you shower, and are completely dressed. A bathroom is easy to keep warm over a short time. You just need to be ready to open the bathroom door, and be prepared for the sudden champ in temperature.

I was lucky to find a lighter during the storm. And I need much better candles, strategically placed. Maybe I needed a chandelier of candles.

I had 5G on my phone. That was my only connection to the internet at home. All electronics were unusable except for the cell phone and tablet. I could read on the tablet, even though it was wi-fi only. (Memo: Download a few movies or shows on the device, just in case.)

My candles are woefully bad. They were only good for getting around. And later when I thought of the flashlight, mostly worthless. Small candles are good for one purpose. It can help you find things. Maybe find the bigger candles.

A big lesson learned. Make sure you have propane heat for an emergency. It can make a big difference. Life without electricity is mind blowing when electricity is out for an extended time. It is like a hurricane in the aftermath of the storm, mostly because it is so wide spread. (thanks to the 100+ electric crews who cam from out of state and Canada, they get it). The area I live was hit the worst in the entire state (at least a hurricane only follows a small path, and the rest of the area is spared).

After all I've been through so far I don't desire to leave the area. The area is really beautiful. Snow itself is peaceful (most of the time). And seeing the landscape after freshly fallen snow is something to behold.

I like all 4 seasons. I might learn to cross-country ski or snowshoe this season. Things have to line up correctly for this to happen. The area is inspiring, and I live in an art and musical town. When this storm hit, people came out from everywhere and helped each other. That makes me love the town where I live.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:33 pm Been a VERY mild late Fall/early Winter in the Chicago area. Snow on Halloween, another little bit first week of December, and absolutely none since. Not even remotely cold enough, which has me worried about my annual snowmobiling trip.
Same in the central NM mountains. Dusting of snow around Halloween and another dusting on December 1st but outside of that it's been 60 degrees and occasional rain sprinkles. Normally it's in the 40s and snowing every week or 10 days by now.
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

54 would be unbearable for me. I admire your grit.

We use an indoor propane heater as our primary source of heat. Zoned heating to speak.

I am in Tucson now for our annual family reunion.

This is the nicest weather here I can remember at this time.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea the weather has been absolutely perfect and I've been off work half of December but have spent all that time either recovering from surgery or sick with a sick toddler.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Snowing all day here in central NM. Gonna get more Sunday night too

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Probably got another 4 inches overnight and like 10 inches overall. Roads here are totally icy