The Weather is Crazy

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

The Weather is Crazy

Post by Chicat »

Hail and 80 mile an hour straight-line winds did this in Nebraska...

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/s ... 62201.html
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Re: The Weather is Crazy

Post by Merkin »

I am amazed by all the people who go: "How kin ya live in Californ I A with all dem durn earthquakes?" But my 1959 house is still standing fine.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

merkin wrote:I am amazed by all the people who go: "How kin ya live in Californ I A with all dem durn earthquakes?" But my 1959 house is still standing fine.
I wonder the same thing when people complain about our taxes here.

The weather in west LA is perfect year-round. I have an amazing view from my desk at my office, and I spend many nights on the roof of my friend's building, where we have an insane view of the Pacific. Some things are much, much more important than saving a few percent of my income.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Merkin

More Nebraska weather

Post by Merkin »

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

live stream

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WAiCxb5A5jc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

[youtube]S1VltRGqHS8[/youtube]
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good summary of the twin tornados for those that are interested here: http://www.ustornadoes.com/2014/06/17/u ... and-video/

Includes this video:

[youtube]1SnL28itziA[/youtube]

And this comparison to a 1965 twin tornado event from my neck of the woods...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Chicat wrote:Good summary of the twin tornados for those that are interested here: http://www.ustornadoes.com/2014/06/17/u ... and-video/

Includes this video:

[youtube]1SnL28itziA[/youtube]

And this comparison to a 1965 twin tornado event from my neck of the woods...
OMG, I saw one of the 1965 Palm Sunday tornadoes. I lived about 30 miles from Elkhart on an 80 acre farm, between LaPaz and Lakeville, and was 5 years old. It missed our house by about 100 yards, We watched it through and window in the basement as it wiped out a neighbors barn. It is only one of two tornadoes I've seen live in my life. The other one I was fishing with my father on a Minnesota Lake. That was scary.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

today was under 100 in Tucson.

wtf how crazy is that?!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

O'Hare Airport just got .92 inches of rain in 20 minutes. Storms are moving my way. Kind of can't wait to see what it kills like when it gets here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PieceOfMeat wrote:today was under 100 in Tucson.

wtf how crazy is that?!
wednesday was nice being under 100. but back to 103-107 the next week at least.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

Chicat wrote:O'Hare Airport just got .92 inches of rain in 20 minutes. Storms are moving my way. Kind of can't wait to see what it kills like when it gets here.
That explains why my flight home from Aruba is currently sitting on the Tarmac in Indianapolis instead of Chicago... This sucks.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TFCATFAN wrote:
Chicat wrote:O'Hare Airport just got .92 inches of rain in 20 minutes. Storms are moving my way. Kind of can't wait to see what it kills like when it gets here.
That explains why my flight home from Aruba is currently sitting on the Tarmac in Indianapolis instead of Chicago... This sucks.
Storms are moving your way. Enjoy Indy homie.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Merkin wrote:I am amazed by all the people who go: "How kin ya live in Californ I A with all dem durn earthquakes?" But my 1959 house is still standing fine.
My list of weather concerns in general would be 1.) Hurricanes. 2) Tornadoes 3. floods 4. Earthquakes 5. tornadoes 6. Blizzards etc.

Been through 4 and 6. 1 and 2 don't happen here, did have a surprise class 3 tornado 280 mile west about 8 years ago. Live too high for floods, live at least 1/2 mile from landslide/avalanche territory.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

Chicat wrote:
TFCATFAN wrote:
Storms are moving your way. Enjoy Indy homie.
Normally 6 hour trip took 13, good to finally be home. Although it was a pain, I can't believe how pissed some people get and how they treat the flight crew for not just flying into the bad weather :shock: . Get us to where the ticket says, alive, then everything else comes after that people.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TFCATFAN wrote:Normally 6 hour trip took 13, good to finally be home. Although it was a pain, I can't believe how pissed some people get and how they treat the flight crew for not just flying into the bad weather :shock: . Get us to where the ticket says, alive, then everything else comes after that people.
On our way home from Denver a few weeks ago we were taxiing before taking off and a woman two rows behind us turned white and her eyes rolled up in her head. Honestly she looked like she was dying. There was an EMT and a doctor on board who sprang into action and stabilized her. Pretty scary stuff.

So of course we turned around and went back to the gate so she could get medical attention. You should have heard people bitching to the flight attendants about being delayed. One asshole said, loud enough for this poor woman's husband to hear, "She looks fine to me. And there's a doctor on board, so why the hell are we going back to the gate? This is so dumb. I'm going to miss my connection."

People often suck.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Two rounds of severe storms just brought 70-80 mph straight line winds, big hail, and a tornado rolled through about 15 miles south of us. Lots of trees are down and our power is out. Easily one of the worst thunderstorm lines I've ever been through and they came about an hour apart. I'm just hoping no one is hurt. I don't hear any sirens so that's a good thing.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Crazy chi. Might actually storm in Tucson on Friday and Saturday. We've had about 1/10th of an inch of rain in over 3 months

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It won't stop raining here. And still no power. Which means no sump pump in my basement. Ugh, I really hope it's not flooded...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That was the electrical storm of my life. Way more intense experience than an earthquake.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Longhorned wrote:
That was the electrical storm of my life. Way more intense experience than an earthquake.
@ChuckGarfien A Chicago lightning trifecta!! Hits Sears/Willis Tower, Hancock and Trump.

Merkin

Thanks Obama!

Post by Merkin »

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/june-in ... 963f4.html

June goes into the record books as the third-hottest on record in Tucson, according to the National Weather Service.

The average temperature was 88.9 degrees, just slightly cooler than June 2013, which was the hottest June on record in Tucson (89.5).

The month had 29 days of 100 degrees or hotter, the second most for a June in Tucson. The hottest day of the month reached 108 degrees. The string of 100-degree days was broken for one day when the high reached 99 on June 18.

Here are some of weather facts about the just-completed month:

Average high temperature: 103.8 degrees, above the normal of 100.3

Average low: 74.1, above the 69.3 normal.

Number of 105-degree days or above: 11, more than the normal 9 days.

Rainfall: 0.0, below the average of .20 of an inch.

The first half of 2014 was the warmest on record in Tucson, with an average temperature of 69.7 degrees. That is 3.6 degrees above normal. The previous warmest first-half of a year was in 1986 with an average temperature of 68.7.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Monsoon time!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

actually really rained at my house last night. it was crazy. should be some storms nearly every day for the next week.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Pouring on the east side right now. Hope it hits us in central Toos.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

This is the first major rain I've seen since last fall.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Storm clouds above my house last night. There were two balls of light moving around the clouds. It looked like electricity building up. I've seen it a couple times before when the clouds are really low to the ground. The balls of light look like a spotlight hitting the clouds but there are no spotlights. Can anyone explain this to me?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Heading to Utah tomorrow morning, hopefully I dont get flooded out of the National Parks
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

just rained again at my house....raining twice in 15 hours....crazy weather. suns still up and it's only like 75 degrees with a nice breeze blowing now!
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Catintheheat wrote:This is the first major rain I've seen since last fall.
So that's what this wet stuff is! I'd forgotten.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

just poured again at my house. getting weird.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

thenewazcats wrote:Storm clouds above my house last night. There were two balls of light moving around the clouds. It looked like electricity building up. I've seen it a couple times before when the clouds are really low to the ground. The balls of light look like a spotlight hitting the clouds but there are no spotlights. Can anyone explain this to me?
Could be ball lightning.

Ball_lightning
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Raining and blowing like a son of a bitch right now in Phoenix.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Nothing like reporting right under the red rocks of Sedona during a rainstorm. Lightning strikes, rainbow 100 feet away, filtered golden sun...this storm had it all.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'm in prescott valley right now and it's been pretty funky. Looks like we'll miss the storms of next werk
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Check out the pictures of the "Haboob" that hit Phoenix on July 3rd.

http://earthsky.org/earth/first-haboob- ... -on-july-3
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

kinda angry at the great lakes/midwest/northeast right now. many places haven't even had temperatures hitting 90 yet this summer. next monday-thursday or so a "polar vortex" is coming to the midwest and great lakes and parts of the east. early middle of next week everywhere from north dakota to omaha to minneapolis to chicago to st. louis to philadelphia is only going to be seeing highs in the 60s and low 70s with lows sometimes in the 40s. even places like oklahoma city are going to only see highs in the mid to upper 70s next week.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-for ... y-20140709

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My daughter is at O'Hare right now, just texted me. Don't think she brought any besides warm clothes at all.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

forecast for the next week in chicago is 86, 83, 76, 67, 71, 75, 77. next 2 days are mostly normal, but next tuesday could be a good 15-20 degrees below average. lows in the mid 50s. going to be like 57 for a high in duluth on tuesday.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm annoyed...I'm going up to the White Mtns (Greer) on Aug 1-3 and the weather lately has been great. Plenty of storms and rain and temps in the 60s-70s. But forecasted trend in temps for the end of July show near record heat of around 90-92 degrees in Greer by the end of the month. Wtf.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is already the 6th wettest summer in the last 134 years here in the Chicago area and we're supposed to get 2"+ more over the next 24 hours. I'm guessing we'll see some flooding.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:This is already the 6th wettest summer in the last 134 years here in the Chicago area and we're supposed to get 2"+ more over the next 24 hours. I'm guessing we'll see some flooding.
Send it out west!

My daughter called me this morning from some mall in Chicago. She is buying an umbrella.

Hasn't rained here since March, and won't until November which is typical, drought or not.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Monsoon in Tucson flipped over a F16 in the boneyard

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nothing like a crisp 64 degree day in mid July!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Nothing like a crisp 64 degree day in mid July!
My daughter is visiting her BF there now, and called my about 20 minutes saying how cold it is.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Balls hot and muggy in Durham.

yuck.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Santa Cruz wash in Tucson:

[youtube]gjvp6ejr2pY[/youtube]
Jefe