The Weather is Crazy

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: The Weather is Crazy

Post by gumby »

Approaching 80 inches of snow in Buffalo.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... erica.html

Check out the dogs at 1:40 mark in this video.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... now-storm/
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fuck that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Saw a post today saying that half the US has snow. 80% has freezing temps.

Got up to 80 today where I am.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Saw a post today saying that half the US has snow. 80% has freezing temps.

Got up to 80 today where I am.
Hasn't been above freezing here in a week. Never even got out of the teens today. This kind of cold is really unusual for mid-February.

No snow cover but that should change overnight. Going to get about an inch from a clipper system. It's not supposed to start looking like Christmas until after Thanksgiving dammit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pictures from Buffalo
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

How many roofs caved in this week in Buffalo?

Might rain again in LA tonight. Might. Looks dark as hell out of my office window though.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Residents of western New York may soon have to worry about the water in their basements as well as the snow on their roofs.

After a three-day onslaught that dumped a historic 7 feet of snow on the Buffalo area and killed at least 12 people, the sun came out Friday, but so did predictions of flooding caused by rain, temperatures up to 60 degrees and blocked catch basins.

"We are preparing now for more flooding than we've seen in a long, long time," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "We still have that challenge to look forward to." Cuomo said the state was sending in pumps, boats, helicopters and high-axle vehicles that can operate in 4 to 5 feet of water.

"If we're lucky we won't need any of it," he said. "But prepare for the worst and hope for the best."

The National Weather Service issued a flood watch for Sunday to Wednesday.

The snow remained a huge challenge. Officials were still urging people to put off nonessential travel so snow removal efforts could progress. Cuomo reopened a 132-mile stretch of the state Thruway that had been closed since Tuesday, but several exit ramps remained closed along the westernmost 75 miles.

"Assume if you get on headed west you can't get off until Pennsylvania," the governor said. He said roads remain "very dangerous."

Local travel bans were beginning to be lifted Friday so delivery trucks can bring in food and other essentials to depleted supermarkets, the governor said.

He warned, however, that lifting the travel bans was not a signal that "all is fine."

Two more deaths were announced. A 50-year-old man was found Friday morning in his car, which was buried in snow in Cheektowaga, police said. The cause of death wasn't immediately known.

One elderly resident of a nursing home, also in Cheektowaga, died after it was evacuated amid concerns of a roof collapse, a spokeswoman for the home said.

More than 30 major roof collapses, most involving farm and flat-roof buildings, were reported overnight, officials said Friday, and warm temperatures could make the snow even heavier.

Richard Tobe, the deputy Erie County executive, said more than 50 people were evacuated from several mobile home parks in suburban Cheektowaga and West Seneca on Thursday because roofs were buckling. At least 90 small roof collapses involving carports and other structures had been reported by Friday morning, in addition to damage to a pharmacy and a metal warehouse operated by a Christmas decorations company, where damage was estimated in the millions.

Some farm animals had been injured in damaged barns, he said.

Friday's improved weather inspired some homeowners to climb onto roofs to shovel off the snow and reduce the danger of collapse.

"Five hours yesterday and that's just the beginning," John Normile of Lake View said as he and his daughter and her boyfriend cleared up to 6 feet of snow from the roof of his ranch-style home.

"We're getting really concerned about the weight of it," Normile said. "We've got to do it before the rain comes."

Weather Service meteorologist Jon Hitchcock said there might be trouble with drainage as snow and the uncollected autumn leaves underneath blocked catch basins.

"The biggest flood threat would be on Monday when temperatures are at their warmest," he said. "There could be general urban flooding."

"There's roughly the equivalent of six inches of rain in the snowpack that will essentially be released over two days," Tobe said. "If it was released as rain it would be a monumental storm."

He said flooding would likely affect mostly basements and creeks.

"It's not going to be this giant flooding like you see in hurricanes," he said.

The American Red Cross issued an appeal for blood donations in the Rochester area, saying the snowstorms caused the cancellation of more than 50 blood drives. And Cuomo relaxed some rules governing prescription drugs, allowing patients to get prescription refills at any pharmacy that can verify them and letting doctors write new prescriptions more than seven days before the end of an earlier prescription.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

there was a 20% or so chance of rain last night and today...yet it has been pouring for the last 9 hours at least and looks like it will for the better part of the whole day according to radar.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pouring here in Phoenix as well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Local to me:

http://www.ksby.com/news/father-and-two ... qui-falls/

Father and two children escape mudslide at Nojoqui Falls

A mudslide at Nojoqui Falls nearly claimed a Goleta father and his two young children, who left the waterfall area just minutes before a 100-foot cliff of mud and rocks fell onto the trail.

"If it was three minutes difference, I don't think all three of us would be here right now," said Jeremy DelReal, who brought his one-year-old daughter and two-year-old son to see the waterfall.

Around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, DelReal says he and his kids were walking along the trail when loose rocks started coming down and a boulder nearly hit his daughter.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Aw, the sun is out. 24 hours of overcast grey skies and I thought I was going to get full blown SAD.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I guess they're issuing snorkels to everyone in the bay area.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Makes sense, but it's been warm this December. Which is great for getting out and doing shit, but sucks for those wanting a white Christmas.

Hey California, enjoy your end of the world storm. We'll see you on the flip side of this extinction level event.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:I guess they're issuing snorkels to everyone in the bay area.

In my little central coast town we got 3" last night, OF RAIN.

What's crazy is that this year I have yet to turn my heater on or fire up my fireplace. Very warm fall.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Looks like we might get our first taste of winter over the next week or so in Tucson. Supposed to rain a couple of times and have temps in the 50s and lows in the 30s. It was a little chilly right before thanksgiving but this looks like the first sustained winter weather period. Snow on the mountains too.
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:Looks like we might get our first taste of winter over the next week or so in Tucson. Supposed to rain a couple of times and have temps in the 50s and lows in the 30s. It was a little chilly right before thanksgiving but this looks like the first sustained winter weather period. Snow on the mountains too.
Can't wait!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Might have to turn on the heater Saturday/Sunday. I've been opening up all the blinds during the day and getting solid heat gain when I get home. Not gonna happen this weekend.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

It's going to get down to 33 tonight in Phoenix. This is the time of year I'm glad I moved here from Tucson. I will think about my fellow fans in Tucson while your water is trickling in the sink. 26 is cold by any standards. You have my sympathy. ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Looks like we are in the midst of a snow-free December. First accumulating snow isn't forecast until after the new year.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah down to as low as 24 in parts of Tucson tonight
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

830 a.m. and it's still around freezing

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

28 at our house in Gilbert and the real feel is 24
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

29° right now. feels like: "Cold as fuck!"
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

39° and raining up here (41° per home temp monitor). A month ago they were predicting snow. . .
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

For the next 10 days in Tucson it is only forecasted to get above 60 once. Ahhhh I'm in heaven.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

National Weather Service is actually forecasting for Thursday night/Friday morning a 30% chance of snow showers and flurries in Tucson.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Just saw some pictures of snow in Scottsdale . I'm in Tucson right now and the drive was a bitch. Not looking forward to driving back, especially when you add the drunks to the weather.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Drove to Phx through Oracle and Florence this morning...was raining and 34 degrees. Sooo close
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Got back from the game and it's snowing. I live in Marana.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Flurries out here in Vail, not sticking yet.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Flurries out here in Vail, not sticking yet.
It's sticking here.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Officially snowing at Tucson International Airport elevation 2643 above sea level!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'm 2 miles east of the airport and it's been snowing for about an hour. My folks on the NW side have 2 inches on the ground right now
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Snowing in Phoenix.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

UAdevil wrote:I'm 2 miles east of the airport and it's been snowing for about an hour. My folks on the NW side have 2 inches on the ground right now
I have close to 2 inches and it's still snowing. The roads are also covered with snow. Traveling might be a little dangerous tonight, especially with it being New Year's Eve.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I just got back from Tucson. It looked like it was trying to snow in Phoenix. If so it wasn't sticking. I'm glad I left when I did.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Still snowing where I live. Though it's not sticking to roads, it is to everyone's yards/cars/trees/mail boxes.

The road is still running with water like it's raining. My back patio pavers are wet, snow wont stick to them, but the dirt to the right of them is covered in snow.

My car has nearly 2.5 inches of snow on top of the roof.

:)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

And Tucson has officially seen more snow than Chicago so far this winter.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:And Tucson has officially seen more snow than Chicago so far this winter.
:lol: now that IS crazy
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just drove the stretch between Florence and Catalina and there was a couple of inches of snow in places still. Stayed in the 30s there today
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Katzenfreund wrote: Pictures or GTFO!
didn't even see this post till now. snow is all melted now though :(

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Verde Valley got dumped on in record-setting numbers day before yesterday. Mother-in-law spun out with three other cars just driving to the freeway 15 miles. We left for LA in a blizzard that caught up with us at Salome.

You read that right: We drove through a two-inch blizzard in Salome middle-of-freaking-desert Arizona. That defies the "hell freezing over" test of natural impossibilities.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

would love to see the snow up there but it isn't worth it with all the people and traffic.

so weird walking outside at 3pm today to get lunch and even though it was sunny it was 42 degrees and chilly.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Going to be like 72 hours straight in Tucson where it doesn't get out of the mid 40s. Kinda nice. Supposed to be in the mid 70s by early next week though.

Beardown33

Post by Beardown33 »

-21 F wind chill at the Snow Bowl today. It was cooold. We got almost 18" of snow at my house in Flagstaff on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. Hopefully the storms keep rolling in.