Favorite Professional Sports Teams

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Favorite Professional Sports Teams

Post by Catintheheat »

Football - Chicago Bears (Denver Broncos)
Basketball - Phoenix Suns
Baseball - Chicago Cubs (Boston Red Sox)
Hockey - Montreal Canadians
Soccer - USMNT, USWNT, Chelsea (Montreal Impact in MLS)

Football: I used to follow the Chicago Bears when young (think Walter Payton) but probably couldn't name a player on the team now. I don't follow pro football closely. I might watch a playoff game or two. I also like the Denver Broncos. I got to see John Elway play in Mile High Stadium (have 2 sisters who live in Denver). I love Denver, the city.

Basketball: Another sport I don't fully follow now, although I follow it more than football. I loved the Bulls for a long time, but open now. I never saw a Bulls game live, but have seen the Indiana Pacers. I do like the Phoenix Suns. It's probably the only Arizona pro team I can follow. It appears I may never be able to see a game before I leave Phoenix. I follow former UA players, and that makes a difference in who I cheer for.

Baseball: The Chicago Cubs are a cold stone lock. That is my favorite team in all sports. I am making an attempt to follow the Boston Red Sox more since I plan to move to northern New England soon. Although Montreal may have a new baseball team soon and I'd rather cheer for Montreal.

Hockey: I followed the Chicago Black Hawks for a long time, but haven't followed pro hockey for decades. I saw many games by the Fort Wayne Komets minor league team many times. And saw Notre Dame play a couple games. I saw UA hockey too (incredibly fun to watch live, although it isn't as much about hockey as fan reactions). When I move to northern New England I expect to start following the Montreal Canadians. Hockey is a sport you must see in person. Television does not do it justice. You can't understand the pace of the game and the hard hitting until you see it live.

Soccer: For those who care. This is fluid to me because I am just starting to really appreciate the game. I follow USMNT the most, although I'd love to follow teams more. As far as Chelsea goes I started following because of Christian Pulisic, but as I began to understand the tradition of Chelsea and the Premier League Chelsea grew on me (at least until the ESL debacle). As for MLS I am going to follow it closer after I graduate in May. Not sure who to cheer for yet, but the Montreal Impact and the New England Revolution are on the list, leaning towards Montreal (Boston fans feel entitled).
EastCoastCat

Re: Favorite Professional Sports Teams

Post by EastCoastCat »

Football - Rams (I also adopted the Raiders when the Rams left for St. Louis)
Basketball - Lakers
Baseball - Dodgers (Angels)
Hockey - Kings (NY Rangers - when I lived in NYC)

From LA originally so the above is obvious.

Soccer - Arsenal & for Country is Italy
A while back one morning I flipped on early morning TV and saw an EPL game featuring Arsenal and the amazing Thierry Henry and became a Gunners fan from that point.
My mother was from Italy so always followed the Azzurri.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lived in LA from the age of 3 until I was 11. Went to tons of Rams games and I’ve been a fan ever since (although that waned a bit when they moved to St. Louis). Also grew to love the Lakers because of Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Scott, Rambis, and the rest of Showtime.

Moved to New York in the late 80s where everyone was Mets fans. I had rooted for the Dodgers so I picked the Yankees to follow since I wouldn’t have to root against the boys in blue. Been a diehard ever since. But I like to tell people that when I started to love them they were losing 90+ games a year and were a dumpster fire while the Mets were always in the playoffs.

I started pulling for the Cubs when I lived in Wrigleyville. That was a no brainer. The city just felt awesome in the summer and they were good.

I root for the Vancouver Canucks because of ‘94 NHL for Sega. Also I pull for the Blackhawks, which wasn’t hard living in Chicago during their run of Stanley Cups.

So, I’m glad this thread got started. I’ve been meaning to pick up a soccer team. Was thinking of becoming a Tottenham Hotspur fan but I know literally nothing about them. Couldn’t tell you if they were shit or not. Just follow a few of their fans on Twitter (for other reasons) and it seems like a fun fan base. Anyone want to convince me not to start following them?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dating myself, but grew up in Michigan, and back before the days of the internet and cable channels like ESPN, the only games you could watch were the home state teams, so grew up watching the Lions, Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons. But moved out of Michigan in 1976, and lost interest in those teams. Couldn't name a single player on any Detroit team now. Stafford was the last Lions player I knew, and he was traded. What a poor pathetic franchise the Lions were and have been since the NFL and AFL merged.

When I moved to Tucson in 1981, the nearest NFL franchise was San Diego, so they showed the Chargers on TV in Tucson. What fun years those were watching Dan Fouts and Air Coryell. By that time, my interest in MLB had waned, so lost total interest in the sport.

Always was a better college fan than pro, and as an UA student became totally devoted to UA sports.

In 1985, I moved to San Francisco, and obviously became a huge fan of the Niners. Those were the Joe Montana/Jerry Rice/Roger Craig then Steve Young years. Moved to the Central Coast in in 1987, and back then the Lakers games were on all the time, and became a huge Lakers fan. Later, you needed to pay extra to watch the Lakers, so I stopped being a fan.

So my fandom was positional, based on where I was living at the time and availability of games to watch.

Now, don't follow pro sports at all. Can't name a single champion in a single sport.