College Sports

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

College Sports

Post by Catintheheat »

When I was young and started college for the first time in the late 70s, college basketball and football were far more pure. Sure, you still had the same best teams like Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc...). But the money wasn't involved yet. In the summer of 1975 (I was 15) I got to see the Indiana Hoosiers play in their equivalent red/blue game at Arizona. That was right before the they won the national championship. And the last team to go undefeated.

I eventually attended Purdue and got to see Larry Bird and Magic Johnson play in college. I loved the college game because I could observe the development of players. Although I do like college football, being from Indiana basketball was in my blood.

Now athletes use college as a stepping stone to the pros. It is rare to find a player who has honed his skills in college for more than a couple of years. It's not that I'm not attached to UA it's more that the players aren't. I still like watching college basketball from time to time, but it has make it less of a priority. I am not as thrilled about the college game as I once was. Football is the same way. Alabama will get the best players in the country. How competitive is that? Plus, academics has no role in athletes. Rare is the case where a high level football player or basketball player cares about academics.

I do not want to continue the one and done. If you don't want to go to college you shouldn't have to when the pros is the goal. College, in all aspects, should be the bridge to a professional career. And not a pitstop. I actually enjoy following the other UA sports more. The sport is more pure, and I grew up playing organized basketball.
azcat49

Re: College Sports

Post by azcat49 »

Agree on most of your thoughts and money has ruined the game. It’s unfortunate there is no way to remove that evil and I abhor certain entities or individuals (not the players) becoming rich off the backs of these young men and women. I wish there was a solve.

As for the OAD thing I wish there was continuity in all of the sports. Either go as a high school kid or hit the books for three years. It would help both sides so much and those kids would be that much closer to a degree and might even have it. But it all comes back to $$$
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Ahh yes. It’s time for all the old timers to reminisce about college sports “back in the day.”

It was better back in the day. I gotta agree.

Now all the young whippersnappers can just stay of this thread and let all of the old timers dotter around and argue about shit we barely remember.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The money was always involved, don't fool yourself. Players were getting paid back in the 1920s
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In terms of degrees of ruin, there are several college sports that don't lead to a clear pro career. But among those that do, women's college basketball is more like what men's college basketball in the 80s. Real programs with continuity of players over the course of four years, and therefore a clear sense of personality and culture. It's so good that, in the end, it maybe doesn't even matter that the men's game flushing down the toilet. Just forget about the men's game and watch women's college basketball.

Although ironically (and sadly), what keeps the women's game so relatively "pure" is the lacking fan interest in the WNBA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The money was there you just didn’t hear about it because it didn’t go to the young minorities.Their labor was free. As soon as young kids from impoverished backgrounds started making a tiny fraction of what their labor generated (forced to be under the table to keep this bullshit air of amateurism), people started talking about how the game was ruined. Meanwhile the old guys were raking it in. And they still do. How much do coaches make?

It’s no wonder players are trying to jump to the pros as quickly as possible. They’re tired of being the only people around college sports NOT being paid. The downfall of college sports is the fault of the pro leagues. That’s where players can make money but they have age restrictions.

Embrace the NIL. It will end up saving college sports. Kids will stick around longer.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I have no problem with kids making money. I miss the continuity and seeing kids that really loved playing for the UA. If the NIL brings that back, I'm all in. I want to get to know these kids and see them love their time at the UA. I'm know I'm just being selfish but the sport isn't what it used to be. It is what it is and I will continue to watch
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

NAU won a nat'l championship
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

high altitude training will give you an advantage in Cross Country.

Way to go 'Jacks!
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looking at that chart above it appears that the PAC had a good year with championships.

PAC 12 7
BIG 12 7
SEC 7
ACC 6
B1G 5
Others 6 (including ND as an independent)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion