straight outta tucson :: roman bravo-young

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dirtbags

straight outta tucson :: roman bravo-young

Post by dirtbags »

dunno if this will be interesting to anyone here, but i thought i’d share that flo sports just put out this mini-docu on tucson kid roman bravo-young (RBY), a two-time NCAA wrestling champion from sunnyside HS (now at penn state).

https://www.flowrestling.org/collection ... g=10461363
(free to watch for a limited time)

the video is less about wrestling, though there’s a lot of stuff that ppl who follow the sport will appreciate, and more about his background, upbringing, and the adversity he’s faced growing up in south tucson and becoming the first in his family to go to college. he earned his bachelor’s degree last spring and no one expected him to return to school, but he decided to use his last year of eligibility to make another title run at a very deep and competitive weight class. he’s currently on a 46-match winning streak.

good, hard-working kid with a good head on his shoulders. also, pretty wild that he used to run up and down 'A' mountain in JULY :o we will probably hear about him in the MMA soon.
Merkin

Re: straight outta tucson :: roman bravo-young

Post by Merkin »

Thanks DB, will have to check it out.

I used to have a small interest in wrestling due to one of my racquetball buddies being the former Cal Poly wrestling coach. Cal Poly is actually in the PAC-12 for Wrestling since many of the traditional schools no longer have a wrestling program due to Title IX.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:01 pm Thanks DB, will have to check it out.

I used to have a small interest in wrestling due to one of my racquetball buddies being the former Cal Poly wrestling coach. Cal Poly is actually in the PAC-12 for Wrestling since many of the traditional schools no longer have a wrestling program due to Title IX.
Who was your racquetball buddy?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Wasn't sure where to put this but this is a pretty incredible story. She had to petition to wrestle with the boys, but she did it because of the level of competition. She is aiming for the 2024 Olympics. She already was the 3x girls state champ.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

84Cat wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:53 am Wasn't sure where to put this but this is a pretty incredible story. She had to petition to wrestle with the boys, but she did it because of the level of competition. She is aiming for the 2024 Olympics. She already was the 3x girls state champ.
Good for her but there are alot of reasons why the AIA s shouldn't have approved this.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion