2014 NBA Draft

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pokinmik

2014 NBA Draft

Post by pokinmik »

What are the odds Love is traded on or near draft day? It seems like the Twolves will have to trade him by then if they want any say in the rookies they'll be acquiring.

I'm also pumped to see where Gordon goes, I can't wait to watch him blossom in the league.
Bruins01

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by Bruins01 »

Holy christ...

History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Bruins02

Post by Bruins02 »

If this ever came to fruition, the 76ers would be the most athletic team in history

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Would not be a fan of that draft for the Suns.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Randle going after Woj's report on twitter. Woj saying multiple teams have the same medical info and they all expect him to have surgery.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

That's unfortunate. Doesn't sound too serious, but could cause a slight slip in positioning from 4-8 range to 9-13 range.

Would suck for him, but be great if he slipped to 14 for Phoenix, but I don't see him falling beyond Minnesota based on need/situation.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Embiid to the Lakers makes a lot of sense now
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Steer him to Boston or LA. If Embiid fell to 6-7 that would be stupid.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Makes it easier for Utah or Orkando to trade back to a team like Boston, LA, Charlotte should Embiid slip.

He's a risk. Always was. He was my sleeper at 8-14, but I'd have to have real confidence, be a good team who can afford to take a flier on his upside, or have a bevy 1sts to take a gamble.

If I'm Philly, maybe.
If I'm Boston, absolutely.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Feel bad for him not able to attend the draft, what would've been a huge moment in his life. With that said, showing that he cannot stay healthy is not a good thing.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Hope he recovers, never was an Embiid fan though
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

No chance he slips past Boston at 6, unless the reports after the surgery are bad.

We don't know if his back was healed, if this foot fracture is due to his back injury or if it was a freak accident and he will be fine. Lots of things up in the air, but unless its bad news post surgery he wont fall past 6.

-Shane Battier
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

DraftExpress always looks better because of how bad nbadraft.net is and how Ford is never close to the truth until the days just before the draft, but I think they're pretty bad, too. Suns taking Harris ahead of Lavine? Gordon drops to 10? I don't see this stuff happening. Maybe I'm wrong.

As for Embiid, I'd still consider him in the top 4. He has as much potential as anyone. Injuries are a concern but is there a belief he won't recover? I don't see him as another Oden. He's a better athlete. Just like Noel, doesn't make sense to let him slip as far as he did. He's out for one year then maybe turns into the best pick of his class. Is immediacy really that valuable for teams drafting in the lottery?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Suns like Harris a lot. He's second on their want list at #14 behind Stauskus.

I like LaVine, but they already have Goodwin, who is a jumper and seasoning away from being a 16 PPG scorer and is the same age, is more developed physically, and is a fighter, unlike LaVine who just sort of allowed nepotism to occur, settling.

Don't understand Gordon at 10, however. Still think he goes #6 to Boston.

If Suns stay at 14, they'll take best available amongst Stauskus, Harris, Young, Hood... Then maybe LaVine.

Suns know this draft is deep in "PG" depth, so they could wait to grab Dinwiddie, or even Carson, in the 2nd.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Do not want Stauskas.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

They love his Dragic-like game.

I'm hearing he'll be gone. There's a chance as early as LA if Smart/Exum aren't there, but also linked to Kings, Hornets, 76ers.

My guess is Harris or Hood, the latter making the most sense unless the pick is for a future deal or signals a deal involving Goodwin.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Outside of the obvious studs like Gordon (hope he falls into trade up range, but the Celtics seem to have eyes on him) and such my favorites:

Harris, Hood, Payton, Young, Lavine - I would be fine with any of these 5. They all appear to have the potential to be quality contributors down the road on both ends. Saric or if they love Nurkic at 18 would be ok too. Would be a secondary dream to the Gordon one to get 2 of these 5 with 14 and 18. Stauskas wouldn't be the end of the world, but there is no way he is a PG in the league.

I know you keep saying Payne at 18, but that is going fairly low on ceiling. Not sure TJ Warren is the guy there either. PJ Hairston intrigues me as a possible guy, but not sure if the org would take a chance with his issues.

Guys I like at 27 are Early, McDaniels, Capela, etc... I really like the back end of this first round and the early to middle part of it. It makes me feel really bad for Nick Johnson as he seems like he is going to be getting pushed down a lot.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I have a tough time seeing Harris ever being an impact player. I have no idea why he's been talked about as a lottery pick for the last year or so. Suns better not draft him.

I like Hood a bit more. I don't see him ever being a great defender or a huge scorer but his size and skill at least gives him potential. I wouldn't be pissed at the selection but I still think if Lavine is on the board that should be the pick.

Suns should be trying to get into the top 8 of this draft. Heard anything on that front, JMark?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Payne is an instant impact stretch 4 and there are not many in the entire draft. He can come in and stretch the floor and defend his position well. He might not be a high upside guy, but I see him having slight Taj Gibson impact. Can do a bit of everything and fills a role immediately.

Harris struggled shooting the ball this year because he was injured. He is a two-way guard that can defend PG and SG and can shoot. I actually think he would be a good pick after the top 8. I think after 8 the next tier is 9-16 or so. I think Harris is at, or near, the top of that tier.

-Shane Battier
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I don't think the Suns use both 14 and 18 on college players. If they can't trade up, I expect:

1. 14 (best available wing)/18 (best foreign)
2. 14 (best available wing)/18 (trade down/out)

Only way is if they have a trade in place beyond draft night or a prospect shockingly slips.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Foolishness. Went from 50-Undrafted pre-tournament to possible top-20 post-tournament?

I could see a team like Chicago or Boston liking him 16/17/19, but that's about 10 spots high for what was a slight reach by 10 slots even in the 25-30 range.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Take Stauskas if he's there, just say no to Young/Hood

How far will Embiid slide?
2. How far will Embiid slide?
We know that Embiid's injury is a serious one. Breaking the navicular bone in your foot is a major injury, as our own Kevin Pelton pointed out yesterday.

I've had teams tell me he could be out anywhere from four months to a year. No one will really know for sure until they receive updated medicals after his surgery on Friday. Not every break is the same. Some are harder to fix than others. Once we have a better timetable on his injury, we'll have a better feel for his draft stock.

But as of Thursday night, here's what we know: The chances that he goes No. 1 or No. 2 are slim-to-none. There are two other good options on the board in Wiggins and Parker, and neither of them has had a stress fracture in their back and foot.

But after that? All bets are off.

The Sixers took a gamble on Nerlens Noel last year knowing he likely would miss the entire season. Noel is now healthy and ready to play and many feel he was the best pick in his draft class. The Sixers' timeline can allow them to be patient. Noel and the No. 10 pick could be their rookies this season. However, Embiid isn't a perfect fit next to Noel and the Sixers have also coveted Exum. So I think the odds that the Sixers take Embiid at No. 3 are under 20 percent.

The Magic have wanted a rim protector and could see an opportunity here. They too have another lottery pick and also have some flexibility to be patient. Nikola Vucevic has been more than solid the past two years, but he doesn't provide the Magic with the shot-blocking they desperately need. If Embiid makes a full recovery, he's a steal at No. 4. The problem for the Magic is that they have other needs, too. They need a point guard and Marcus Smart will be there. They also need a stretch 4 and Vonleh is likely to be on the board. Can they pass on both of them for Embiid? I put the odds of them doing so at 50 percent.

The Jazz are intrigued as well, but I doubt they'd pull the trigger on Embiid. They went into the tank this season with the idea that they'd bounce back in 2014-15. With Embiid, it would be another season at the bottom of the standings in the West. I don't think ownership signed up for that.

That leaves the Celtics. From everything I can gather, GM Danny Ainge, barring unforeseen complications in Embiid's surgery, wouldn't let Embiid slide past here. If Ainge can't land Kevin Love, I think you'll see the Celtics go into full rebuilding mode this summer and taking Embiid, the guy who could end up being the best player in the draft, would have to be very tempting.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... raftRumors
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

You're crazy not to like Hood. His offense has very few limitation, and he's a smooth athlete. Not long, but quick. His jumper is money, and his three-point shot is strong. Add strength, build dribble, he's an All-Star. SF version of Klay Thompson, to be honest.

Young is intriguing, as his perimeter shot is already there, his defense is good and both sides have upside. Ceiling is a better version if Gerald Green. Off-ball gunner who can stroke it, attack the rim, and defend aggressively.

I prefer both over Stauskus/Harris/LaVine.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

There's a Rodney Hood in every draft, and they all tend to be mediocre. Young is absolutely useless if his shot isn't falling. He doesn't pass, isn't a good defender at all not sure what you're watching, and has 0 right hand. He's either hoisting a long 3 or driving left to get his shit sent, i'm good on that. I never bought LaVine hype, he's a more athletic Austin Rivers.

If i'm taking a 1 dimensional player give me the one that's an elite shooter who can still put the ball on the deck (probably the 2nd/3rd best scorer in the draft) especially on a team like the Suns. That's your Klay right there
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

You're wrong on Hood. He's an elite shooter, 50+ from midrange, 40+ from three, has great height at 6-8+ in shoes, and well above average leaping at 29/36. He's a floor spacer who can pass, and who has upside in his frame since he's only 208 at 6-8. Like I said, add strength/15 pounds and tighten handle and he's a 18-20 PPG SF, if not better. Plus, he's a true off-ball, off-screen, off-curl shooter in the Reggie Miller/Rip Hamilton mold.

Young is very young, but shot very well, and was widely regarded as Kentucky's best perimeter defender. He had strong measurables, is already strong but with a frame to grow, and while his dribble is limited, this is where coaching comes into play.

Both have elite frames, strong shooting skills, and potential as defenders. Much more so than Stauskus.

Right now DraftExpress has Suns taking Harris/Hood at 14/18. That's damn close to an ideal draft. Then maybe trade down/out at 27 and select a few prospects to stash in Europe/Rehab.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Harris and Hood fills the defensive roles needed and both are two way players. That's a very good draft.

I still don't think the Suns should get in the Love sweepstakes. I debated with DJ Foster who agreed with Lowe, that the Suns should get Love. I think they should develop their picks this season and play market next summer, in a much better class. They will have picks, young players, Dragic and cap space to make a big move. No need to go all out on Love this summer.

The future is very bright.

-Shane Battier
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Harris and Hood would be a great haul. Would allow wiggle room at 27 to do some things.

Looking at the draftexpress mock and seeing Gordon dropping so close at 10 stings a little.

Say no to Love. Allow some other team to mortgage their future on that mistake.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Wojo confirms my several week old reports Suns open to trading down/out at 27.

I've heard they'd like a 40-50 range 2nd + plus future 1st (likely top-20 protection initially).

I could see the Pacers maybe trying to reacquire the 1st. Some good PGs/wings likely available at 27. Exactly what Pacers need.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can someone explain Levine to me?

I don't get it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

6-6 uber athlete...

Drool

But he's 2/3 years away, minimum, from much of anything in both physique and skillset.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:6-6 uber athlete...

Drool

But he's 2/3 years away, minimum, from much of anything in both physique and skillset.
The question then becomes, why would you draft him?

He's young (19 right?) and waify for a 19 year old. It could easily end up being three or four years (until he's 22 or 23 years old) until he's physically ready to compete with the men of the NBA. But the problem is, that's basically the length of his entire rookie contract. Let "someone else" take him and get him ready to play and if you like him as a player at that point come in and sign him as a free agent in four years.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Alieberman wrote:Can someone explain Levine to me?

I don't get it.
Top 5% athlete in the NBA from day 1. Long way to go before he can contribute outside spotting up.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

SCCat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:6-6 uber athlete...

Drool

The question then becomes, why would you draft him?

He's young (19 right?) and waify for a 19 year old. It could easily end up being three or four years (until he's 22 or 23 years old) until he's physically ready to compete with the men of the NBA. But the problem is, that's basically the length of his entire rookie contract. Let "someone else" take him and get him ready to play and if you like him as a player at that point come in and sign him as a free agent in four years.
He is a gamble that teams with multiple 1sts would take, or a good team that is willing to develop him. While you could sign him in 4 years, you also would hold his RFA rights and could sign him for another 3-4 years really cheap.

-Shane Battier
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

TucsonClip wrote:He is a gamble that teams with multiple 1sts would take, or a good team that is willing to develop him. While you could sign him in 4 years, you also would hold his RFA rights and could sign him for another 3-4 years really cheap.
Exactly. You don't plan on signing a guy in 4 years if you can draft him and match any offer he gets in that first FA season. Lavine has tons of potential. If he's there at 14, I find it really hard to pass him up. What other immediate contributor is PHX getting at that spot? Lavine's ceiling is higher than Hood's IMO, and I still don't see what others are seeing in Harris. Also not a fan of Young. This draft isn't as deep as its made out to be. It's deep at the top but the bottom half seems as talented as it normally is. I can't speak for INTL prospects, of course.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Completely disagree. I think the strength of this draft is it's secondary depth from 8-20, and it's rotation player depth from about 20-45.

I think it's slightly overrated as an elite draft class, mostly because while the top is strong, it is starting to remind me of the 1999 class with tons of quality players, several multiple-time All-Stars, some secondary award winners, and a bunch of teams 2nd best players, but not the transcendent talent that's a sure HoFer. Some who might be, but nobody who's a given.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

JMarkJohns wrote:Completely disagree. I think the strength of this draft is it's secondary depth from 8-20, and it's rotation player depth from about 20-45.

I think it's slightly overrated as an elite draft class, mostly because while the top is strong, it is starting to remind me of the 1999 class with tons of quality players, several multiple-time All-Stars, some secondary award winners, and a bunch of teams 2nd best players, but not the transcendent talent that's a sure HoFer. Some who might be, but nobody who's a given.
I agree with this. The draft is very deep and the difference between pick #9 and #20 might not be much this year. I mean look at a guy like Jarnell Stokes who is going in the 20's. He has just as good of advanced stats as Randle (albeit not as talented) and is only 9-10 months older. After the top 3-4, 4-8 is full of guys who look like potential all-stars. I am convinced the rest of the first round will yield multiple quality starters.

-Shane Battier
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

JMarkJohns wrote:Completely disagree. I think the strength of this draft is it's secondary depth from 8-20, and it's rotation player depth from about 20-45.

By top of the draft, I'm talking about the lottery range, 1-14. That area is strong, maybe a little lacking after the top 12-13. After that, I'm not seeing anything much different than in other draft years. I'm definitely not seeing a bunch of 2nd-best players out there. At some point in the future I'll be happy to do a look-back analysis at this draft and others for comparison. For now, we just disagree.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

In the top-20 picks, the difference is about 5 in terms of quality prospect depth.

In the next 25 picks, the difference is about 12 in terms of quality prospect depth.

Look at the last two/three lotteries and see who went 7-15. Those types of prospects are going. 12-20 in this class. Plus there are about a dozen quality foreign players, about half of which have starter potential, a few of which can be had from 15-40.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Isaiah Austin was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome which could lead to an enlarged heart so his basketball career is over. Baylor put out a statement mentioning him coming back and serving on the coaching staff.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Chicat wrote:Isaiah Austin was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome which could lead to an enlarged heart so his basketball career is over. Baylor put out a statement mentioning him coming back and serving on the coaching staff.
Very sad story. Also mentions he had already overcome four retinal detachment surgeries and blindness in his right eye since he was 16. I hope he gets his degree and makes something of himself as a coach.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Embiid twitter and classy KU fans after the tweet...

http://screamer.deadspin.com/joel-embii ... 226/+samer

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Latest info from Chard Ford's most recent mock draft with Parker going #1 to Cleveland. First time that I have seen that somoeone would rather play in Milwaukee, wow!
Sources close to the Cavs told ESPN.com this weekend that the Cavs are now leaning toward taking Parker with the No. 1 pick. However, it's far from a lock. Parker came in to work out on Friday in front of the Cavs front office and ownership. Parker wasn't great. He was a bit heavy (he weighed in at 255 pounds), didn't shoot the ball well and got winded at times. Furthermore, two different sources told ESPN.com that Parker seemed a bit indifferent. One source said he thought Parker "tanked" the workout.

Why? A source says he strongly prefers to play in Milwaukee. The Cavs appear to be aware of this. "Jabari wasn't himself," one source said. "It was clear we weren't his first option."
Also has James Michael McAdoo at #50, Jahii Carson at #55, and Nick Johnson not drafted.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mo ... oroundmock
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dario Saric signs a three year deal with a team in Turkey.

Didn't he just get an invite to the Green Room of the draft?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Can someone explain Levine to me?

I don't get it.
You can't develop the gifts he has. That goes a long, long way.

I don't know if this draft has a HOF player, but it has plenty of allstars, and you can think that you're drafting a rotation player if you have a top 45 pick. That is really rare.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Saric was always likely to play another year/two in Europe, but, depending on buyout, it could see him slip to later lottery/mid 1st.

I know Suns like him, but I doubt he gets to 14.

Bulls are rumored to be trying to trade their 1sts for Love, but, if they can't, they are open to packaging them along with Boozer's expiring deal to clear CAP to make a run at Anthony.

If Frye opts out, as expected, Suns should jump all over that. Boozer for a year gives them frontcourt depth, and could bring in two addition mid 1sts.

They'd have depth of 1sts to do almost whatever they want within reason.

Including drafting a ton of Euro draft/stash types, auctioning off mid 1sts for later 1sts/early 2nds and future 1sts, or packaging players/1sts for a star, if one is available.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

The Suns would be dumb not to take that salary. Would rather be in the market in 15 anyway.