Suns Offseason Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JMarkJohns

Re: Suns Offseason Thread

Post by JMarkJohns »

Assuming his meniscus-free knee holds up.

I'd have paid him 17-per over 3 years and I think he'd have taken that. Suns minimize risk, Bledsoe maximizes short-term money and longer-term opportunity.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I heard about possibility of Bledsoe to Detroit for Greg Monroe. A trade to resolve poisoned relationships on both sides.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

A guy on a plane told me that the inside track on the new sponsored name for the soon-to-be former US Airways Center is Arby's Arena.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Now that Minnesota wants to give Bledsoe a max contract for four years, but needs the Suns to eat some of the salary while at the same time not wanting to offer assets of value to the Suns, it will be interesting to see where this goes, if anywhere. A third team will be needed, but whoever that is and whatever it would entail are mystery.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Why would the Suns take any deal? Not like Bledsoe has any leverage
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49 wrote:Why would the Suns take any deal? Not like Bledsoe has any leverage
Any deal? What if they offer Zach LaVine or Wiggins? They probably won't, but who knows what could come out of a three-team deal. Especially considering that the Suns won't get anything when Bledsoe walks away in a year.

Or do you mean the Suns should match the max contract offer?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I would gladly take LaVine, Rubio, Dieng, then flip Rubio for a 1st or two via sign/trade in the offseason.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I heard Minny wanted to dump chase and Rubio for Bledsoe. I would take Wiggins in a deal.

I wouldn't give him more then 48 for 4. Make him prove it. If he can last a year and wants to play for the 1 year contract, have at it kid. We can still trade you before you walk
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

azcat49 wrote:If he can last a year and wants to play for the 1 year contract, have at it kid. We can still trade you before you walk
Actually, Bledsoe would be able to veto trades and would become unrestricted the following season.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx, you guys know more about NBA contracts then I do for sure. I just think these kids should get paid on what they have done, not on what they might do
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

JMarkJohns wrote:I would gladly take LaVine, Rubio, Dieng, then flip Rubio for a 1st or two via sign/trade in the offseason.
Nobody is giving you first rounders for Rubio unless he really improves. Especially with the absurd contract he wants.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I disagree. Perhaps not in sign/trade, but at the deadline with his CAP hit being mid-level money, a team near contention who needs a PG (think Mavericks, Pacers, Nets) would throw ya a 1st, maybe 2 if you took back a crappy contract.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I wouldn't want to miss this opportunity to get rid of Bledsoe. I wouldn't want him for a year even if it is in his best interests to show he deserves a contract from someone.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

This would be awesome.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /16022261/
Suns play-by-play announcer Al McCoy might have even more reason to exclaim "Oh, brother!" this season.

The Suns have become the leader in the pursuit of shooting guard Zoran Dragic, the younger brother of Suns star guard Goran Dragic. One other NBA team remains in serious pursuit but negotiations for a contract and a buyout from Dragic's Spanish club have progressed to the point that a deal could be finalized early this week.

Dragic, 25, has been talking to Phoenix about a two-year contract or a three-year deal with the third year as an option for the player or team.

After joining Goran for the Slovenian national team's run to the World Cup quarterfinals, Zoran reported to training camp with Unicaja Malaga, his Spanish club that had signed him to a contract extension in July. The extension included a NBA buyout for about $1.1 million, of which the Suns can contribute up to $600,000. A NBA contract might have to exceed $2 million for Zoran to leave for the NBA, a goal he openly has shared.

Zoran Dragic's addition would give the Suns 14 guaranteed contracts, leaving one regular-season roster spot open for restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe. Signing both would give the Suns seven guards on the roster, although Gerald Green is a small forward too.

Zoran Dragic is a 6-foot-5 guard with aggressive defense, a familiar attacking style in transition and a developing perimeter shot. In seven World Cup games, he averaged 14.1 points and 4.0 rebounds in 26.3 minutes per game with 50 percent shooting overall and 43.3 percent shooting on 3-pointers. He averaged 10.9 points in Euroleague play last season. His presence would be a plus to the retention of Goran, who likely will opt to become a free agent next summer but already has expressed his desire to stay with Phoenix.

All of the Suns players under contract have been at US Airways Center for voluntary workouts this month but they officially report Sept. 29 and depart for a five-day training camp in Flagstaff.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

What's hilarious is the Suns started negotiations with high end market value, and his moronic agent convinced Bledsoe it was an insult.

Suns ups never low balled Bledsoe. They just weren't going to bid against themselves.

Again, I'd do any of:

3 years/48 million
4 years/52 million
5 years/58 million

More guaranteed, longer the risk so lesser per-season mitigates risk some.

Higher per-season is mitigated by fewer years.

Win/win either way.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bledsoe is only 24 years old and this is his first negotiation. But this is the NBA, and if he's going to be a player, and not just a player, he needs to understand what took place here with Rich Paul and be sure to avoid another situation like this spiraling out of control in the press. After the initial offer he received, the message to fans that his relationship to the Suns was on the edge of disrepair reflects poorly on him. Agents are about more than negotiating the best possible contract. They should be able to do that and watch out for the client's best interests. Bledsoe needs to keep his eyes wide open after this.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Big Money:
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Better be able to keep Goran
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Does this mean McDonough is staking his job on Bledsoe staying healthy? If Bledsoe can't stay healthy and the Suns lose Goran or miss out on free agents by limited cap space, I'd think that would do McDonough in.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:Does this mean McDonough is staking his job on Bledsoe staying healthy? If Bledsoe can't stay healthy and the Suns lose Goran or miss out on free agents by limited cap space, I'd think that would do McDonough in.
It's a risk, but my bet is they keep Goran, then draft and trade.

Once Bledsoe, Dragic, Morrii are off current deals they lose all flexability anyways, so retain assets, and use in trades.

14-per, if healthy, is actually pretty solid. I don't like the guaranteed length of five years for that per-year, but after a year or two, it's a tradable contract.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

JMarkJohns wrote:
14-per, if healthy, is actually pretty solid. I don't like the guaranteed length of five years for that per-year, but after a year or two, it's a tradable contract.
Spot on with this post. My thoughts exactly. The $14 mil per isnt bad, but the guaranteed 5 years is questionable considering the development Bledsoe still needs to realize. However, when the cap increases and if Bledsoe improves a bit more, he could have some value later in that deal.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Dragon Bro Z is happening.

Zoran has informed his team of intent to sign with Suns. Indicates Goran is already on board with coming back next year.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

JMarkJohns wrote:Dragon Bro Z is happening.

Zoran has informed his team of intent to sign with Suns. Indicates Goran is already on board with coming back next year.
Now that's cool news.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

JMarkJohns wrote:Dragon Bro Z is happening.

JMJ,

Pardon my ignorance, but what position does he play? Is he any good?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

He's primarily a SG with traditional slasher wing skills, improving jumper, but strong defender. He's very experienced, do I anticipate a solid role this year, expanding role next once Green departs (could depart this year via trade for a 1st).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sounds like the Suns overpaid to keep Bledsoe. From 4/48 to 5/70 is a big jump. This is why some of us hate pro sports
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azcat49 wrote:Sounds like the Suns overpaid to keep Bledsoe. From 4/48 to 5/70 is a big jump. This is why some of us hate pro sports
4/48 was the initial offer. It was never the likely number. It was market value starting point. I will argue that it's a fair middle ground, and, is closer to the Suns ideal per-year than it was Bledsoe's MAX demands.

It's a good deal. The fifth year is a bit of a surprise, but even taking the 4/48 per year and adding a 5th and it's 5/60, so again, 70 is middle ground and closer to Suns ideal than Bledsoe's 80+.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

UAEebs86 wrote:JMJ,

Pardon my ignorance, but what position does he play? Is he any good?
Got to watch him during the 2 USA games. I was fairly impressed. Really good shooter, plays smart
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Markieff signs 4/32 extension
Marcus signs 4/20 extension

Fantastic deals now and steals once CAP explodes.

I envision Markieff as an 18-8 starter. To have that locked up at 8-per over four truly inspires confidence again after the slight overpay for Bledsoe.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

JMarkJohns wrote:Markieff signs 4/32 extension
Marcus signs 4/20 extension

Fantastic deals now and steals once CAP explodes.

I envision Markieff as an 18-8 starter. To have that locked up at 8-per over four truly inspires confidence again after the slight overpay for Bledsoe.
Official tweet:
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I would imagine both have ETOs on 4th year, but both still on rookie scale another year, then guaranteed three years before any ETO would matter.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

That's great news. Markieff should definitely have a solid year and will get some real notice.

I'm liking everything the Suns have done lately. Zoran is an awesome pickup for the price...he's the type of guy that good teams need, and having him with his brother is icing on the cake. Bledsoe, yea might've overpaid a bit, but not too much with an expected huge rise in the cap next couple years like Jmark mentioned. And I'd rather the Suns overpay a tad than lose him outright or trade him for an underwhelming package of players. Shows they really want to win. This team is pretty loaded on paper, hopefully some of our frontcourt guys can blossom or play their roles really well and this team should be legit!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

This season rides on health, defining of roles, and development of Len and Plumlee.

PG: Bledsoe, Thomas
SG: GDragic, ZDragic, Goodwin
SF: Tucker, McMorris, Warren
PF: MkMorris, Toliver
C: Plumlee, Len

That's a deep roster with upside. Spurs showed you don't need superstars if you have heady, skilled depth. I'd like a stronger athlete upfront at either PF or C, but, again, Spurs showed it's not a requisite.

We need to emphasize rebounding. That's going to be a huge concern all year until Len and Plumlee demonstrate they can combine for 13-16 RPG.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Suns are so deep at wing I forgot Green.

Warren likely starts year in DL with Ennis.

Needs to work on perimeter shot in set situations.

I still think Green can be trade fodder. Contract is cheap and expiring and could fetch a 1st from a team looking for outside shooting, transition scoring.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Any other teams had 2 sets of brothers on 1 team?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Per twitter, no. Not at same time.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That is two wild and crazy guys. I would imagine when they hit the town......well, ladies beware
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

So that means that 1/3 of all players on the roster are a brother of another player. If I coached that team, I'd eat a double cheese, double 1/3 lb. patty burger. Come to think of it, I'll eat one now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Vegas sets the Suns win total this coming year at 42.5:

http://espn.go.com/espn/chalk/story/_/i ... e-best-585

I never bet, but this time I'm pretty tempted to make some money.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yup, that seems low and a mark for easy money
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

They are trying to inspire betting and will slowly move the line up. I'd say a truer total is 49.5. 50 wins almost always gets you in, and in most seasons indicates a 5/6 level finish.

Hard to believe a team that won 48 games with it's starting backcourt only playing 34/82 games together due to injury as suffering through a 6 game drop, especially with the PG/SG depth they now have to buey talent in tough times.

I will argue the west from 10-12 is weaker than last season, so whatever little bit the 13-15 teams have improved, which is very little, Suns should have an easier time en route vs. Bottom of west than last year.

I've given a 45-55 range.

But again, prior to Bledsoe's injury, Suns were top-6, and held a .724 win percentage when Dragic and Bledsoe started together. If they play 60 games together, that's already over at roughly 43.5 wins with another 22 games to play at roughly .520 win percentage, which is right in line with my ceiling of 55 total wins.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

A few takeaways from the scrimmage today from fifth-row, centercourt:

1. If Morrii shoot anything close to how they did today in most games, watch the fuck out! They must have been like 15/20 overall and like 7/10 from range.

2. If Goodwin and Warren get to the rim they are finishing exceptionally well. Scrimmage was beyond physical (Shavlik Randolph got a bloody nose) in the key, and both got to the rim, and both showed off an array of moves and abilities to absorb contact, finish, and draw the foul. Might be tough to keep them off the floor.

3. Randolph, when healthy, should form a nice backup platoon with Toliver to help make up for the loss of Frye's 3-pointers. Could be a nice, stealthy type of signing.

4. Holy crap, Gerald Green can still sky! Head was several inches above the rim multiple times.

5. Zoran brings an infectious effort and physicality, and he seems like he'll be a lot of fun on roadtrips. Did multiple hip/hop, break dance moves post game as part of his hazing, but was the only one to actually commit.

6. Plumlee looks good. Very strong. Controlled paint.

7. Len still looks like Len. :/

8. Thomas is going to rake in a scorer 6th-Man role in this offense. He played damn well alongside Bledsoe today. Too good, infact, that they switched him at the half to make the game more competitive.

9. Bledsoe looked happy. Cracked jokes, got into Z's dancing, etc.

10. Ennis can find the open man and, at times, manipulate spacing. He gets a jumper, he'll stick in this league.

PG: Bledsoe (24), Thomas (24)
SG: GDragic (34), Bledsoe (10), Green (4)
SF: Tucker (25), Green (18), McMorris (5)
PF: MkMorris (30), McMorris (13), Randolph/Toliver (5)
C: Plumlee (25), Len (23)

That's a 9-man rotation + a breathers worth of minutes from Randolph/Toliver.

Gonna be hard for ZDragic, Goodwin, Warren to see minutes. There might be a 10-15 mpg role for either Z, Goodwin or TJ, but even that's a stretch.

But depth is incredible.

I'd like to see Suns sign Prather. Seems like he could develop similar to Tucker has with time. Really hustled, got in the grill of Tucker/Green, and while he didn't score, shot looked solid in warmups.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-w ... ning-frye/
There was a player who did leave. Unfortunately for the Suns, he might’ve taken their one hope of continuity along with him. Dragic became the team’s undisputed best player, Bledsoe remains their best chance at a future superstar, and Markieff Morris was the team’s unexpected breakout player. But Frye might’ve been the most valuable player to the operation last season.
Interesting analysis farther into the article.
wooha

Post by wooha »

JMarkJohns wrote: Len still looks like Len. :/
And still has the same bone density it seems. Another broken finger.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

My friend joked, "some guys can't catch a break. But Len catches all of them."

It's weird to have the feeling of a lost cause before the second season even begins.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:My friend joked, "some guys can't catch a break. But Len catches all of them."

It's weird to have the feeling of a lost cause before the second season even begins.
I think there's a risk on taking a big man so early in the draft, and there were decent backcourt assets that the Suns passed on to take Len. Since the Suns were going to take a risk, I still think they might as well have taken a risk on Noel.