HiCat

Re: Coach Kerr

Post by HiCat »

Matt Muehlebach: What he'll say to Steve Kerr...once he gets a hold of him

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/2934 ... old-of-him
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never thought Luke was all that bright, but very cool, and really hope he succeeds.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Luke is very bright. He's just soft-spoken and has his dad's deliberate delivery on top of a surfer boy accent. So he may come off as slow.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Luke was aces on Sportscenter just now. Funny and cool.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Starting to get a little worried about Steve. How bad are these head aches?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Jefe wrote:Starting to get a little worried about Steve. How bad are these head aches?
He had back surgery. Rehab is a process. Standing for an entire NBA game plus practice, plus general life is taxing.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So Luke was named coach of the month and has zero official wins

Well done NBA
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Well its the spinal fluid leak which is why hes still out. Just found this

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/24 ... Than-Later" target="_blank
The Golden State Warriors have played extraordinary basketball with Luke Walton as head coach, but the plan continues to be for Steve Kerr to return as soon as he's ready.

Kerr is expected back sooner rather than later.

The running joke around the Warriors, however, is Kerr will wait to return until the team has lost a game.

"Luke is a genuine guy," Draymond Green said. "He's the same guy he was as an assistant coach, and guys respect that. It goes a long way, for sure."

"We've been preparing for this with the core that we've had for the last four years," Curry said. "When Coach [Mark] Jackson was here, things started to change and we started to show some promise and we learned some lessons in failure that were invaluable for us. And then we all come back better players this year individually and as a team, so the confidence and belief was at an all-time high in training camp after a championship run. It should be, but it wasn't a false confidence because guys had come in and really worked over the summer and put themselves in a position to try to do it again."
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/ ... =fb-mobile" target="_blank
BOSTON — A dude named “Q” has become the Curry Whisperer.
Both figuratively and literally.
Warriors assistant coach Bruce Fraser, nicknamed “Q” in the mid-1980s, doesn’t do a lot of talking, but when he speaks, it has the ability to inch Stephen Curry’s jump shot ever closer to perfection on court — or has the All-Star point guard covering his laughter with a towel off the floor.
“I should probably start a chronicle” of what Fraser says, Curry said. “The topics go all over the place. We cover everything. It’s like having two sets of eyes out there watching the whole arena and everything about the game.
“There’s a lot to talk about.”
Fraser and Curry invariably have a gazillion things to discuss, but Fraser didn’t push it right away. When he accepted a job on head coach Steve Kerr’s staff last season, Fraser went into the inquisitive role that earned him the nickname “Question Man” — shortened to “Q-Man” and eventually “Q.”
Unlike when he got saddled with the nickname in college with Kerr at the University of Arizona, Fraser, after coaching under Lute Olson, Larry Brown and Quin Snyder, now has most of the answers he used to seek. He still wasn’t going to begin shoving those answers at Curry.
“When you start working with someone like that, if you all of a sudden have all of these ideas, your first idea better be right” Fraser said. “You don’t want to guess. In a good way, our relationship grew, and Steph was receptive to what I saw.”
Fraser could have been more assertive or mandated things from Curry. Fraser’s long resume holds more water than Curry’s splash.
Fraser has worked with Michael Jordan, Reggie Miller and Steve Nash. When Kerr, one of the best shooters the game has seen, found himself in a slump, he wouldn’t have considered calling anyone else.
In that episode, Fraser flew to Portland, but didn’t want Kerr to pick up the airfare, hotel bill or food costs. Fraser simply wanted Kerr to shoot better and suggested a never-before-tried drill to do it.
“I’ve worked with some of the best,” Fraser said. “I don’t want to sound arrogant, but I’ve got a good feel for the shot.”
Kerr wasn’t playing many minutes. When he was in, he’d get a shot or two. Then, he’d return to the bench.
So, Fraser had Kerr re-enact his usual 48-minute game without Kerr realizing it. The two would chat on the sideline for six minutes and then Fraser would jump up and pass Kerr a ball at the three-point arc.
Make or miss, Fraser would go back to the bench. Sometimes, he’d start reading a newspaper or start asking Kerr about his family. After 12 minutes passed, he’d dart for the ball, shuttle it to Kerr for another three-pointer.
He was bringing Kerr’s game days to life in practice, and that’s exactly what Fraser does for Curry now.
People play Curry to drive right, so Fraser drills the left; people are running Curry off the three-point arc, so Fraser has Curry shoot from 30 feet; and people are showing, blitzing or double-teaming Curry on pick-and-roll sets, so Fraser finds answers.
If you’ve ever seen Curry give up the ball to a teammate when he’s double-teamed and then race to a spot where a pass can be returned to him, you’ve seen Fraser’s handiwork.
“I just haven’t ruined him,” Fraser said.
No, he has made Curry a lot better.
Curry was the league MVP in 2014-15. This season, he’s scoring a league-high 32.2 points per game on career highs in field-goal shooting (52.9 percent) and three-point shooting (46.3).
“He’s been big,” Curry said. “You need that kind of inspiration on a day-to-day basis to try to figure out how you’re going to get better and keep things fresh. He’s great at just giving me little nuggets. It’s kind of like a pep talk. He knows my mood, the look on my face or my body language. He knows what to say to get me going.”
Fraser is remarkably intuitive, though Curry probably would have settled for merely somewhat consistent. Curry had four personal assistant coaches in his first four season: from Keith Smart to Stephen Silas to Jerry Sichting to Michael Malone.
Fraser, who sometimes juggles three balls while passing Curry another one — just to keep the point guard in rhythm during pregame warm-ups — is here for the long haul. He’s one of Kerr’s best friends, and showed his “company man” status perfectly during the interview for this story.
When interim head coach Luke Walton arrived for a previously scheduled question-and-answer session in a hotel lobby, Fraser yielded the floor to Walton. Fraser sat silently for 10 minutes, and once Walton was done, Fraser asked: “Do you still want to talk to me?”
Of course, everyone wants to talk to the man who whispers to Curry during fourth-quarter blowouts and has the face of the league covering that face with a towel.
“I don’t know if I should be called the Curry Whisperer, but I think we have a relationship that is pretty genuine, true and pure,” Fraser said. “We could be talking about anything — something that’s happening in the game with him, a player, a tendency or a guy who fouls all the time.
“Or, it might just be about the guy with the horrible yellow sweater in the fourth row.”
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't think he can keep it up, but it looks like Kerr's unbreakable record might get broken.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ESPN has him at .565 hitting 52 of 92

Kerr finished at .573 hitting 114 of 199

He needs 100 makes to be considered and only has 16 games left unless they play well in the tourneys.

Interesting tidbit on Kerr:
Time and time again for nearly 25 years, Kerr has received praise for making a record 57.3 percent of his shots from beyond the arc for Arizona’s 1987-88 Final Four squad. Deep down, though, Kerr is peeved that he didn’t perform even better.

If only it wasn’t for that blasted game against Oklahoma.

“It’s the only game I played that I still think about from time to time,” Kerr said of the Wildcats‘ national semifinal loss to the Sooners in Kansas City. “What happened that night still bothers me.”

Kerr entered the contest shooting an eye-popping 59.9 percent (112-for-187) on the season before making just two of his 12 3-point attempts in what ended up being his final college game.

“I can’t help but that think, if I’d shot my normal percentage, we’d have won the game and gone on to win the championship two nights later,” Kerr said. “I guess you remember your failures more than your successes.”
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Thanks for reminding me of that one, Jefe. It's worse than 2005 for me.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That loss made me cry, literally. But I was only 5, so I have that excuse.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

rgdeuce wrote:That loss made me cry, literally. But I was only 12, so I have that excuse.
Fixed for me. Hated that day.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You guys suck. Making me re-live the worst loss ever and making me feel old at the same time? Bastards.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:Thanks for reminding me of that one, Jefe. It's worse than 2005 for me.
Yes, that was the worst. I'm lucky I didn't get in deep shit at work. I was serving tables. Not only were my tables sitting while I was watching that unfold in the last 4 minutes in the bar, they had to wait another 15-20 minutes while I went outside to smoke a cigarette because my world felt like it was going to end. I've only smoked 3 times in my life. First was experimental, 2nd I was wasted and wanted to see what menthol was like, and this was number 3. Got back and got nothing but dirty looks, empty drinks, empty plates just chilling on their table :lol: :lol:
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Sounds awful. Glad I was too young to remember that one
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

He's Back!!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

And in related news...
8. Luke Walton is about to get PAID

This became clear during the Warriors' winning streak, and it only became more certain once we found out that the Knicks will be added to the sweepstakes with the Lakers. If I were Luke Walton's agent, I'd already be drafting a list of demands, just to see how far we can push the bidding. Ideas:

• Unlimited use of a yacht. (Note: Does not need to own a yacht. Everyone knows it's better to know a yacht owner than own one yourself. Nevertheless ...)

• Naming rights for said yacht.

• Right to hire the 2001 Arizona Wildcats as advisers (Loren Woods, Eugene Edgerson, Gilbert Arenas, etc.)

• Team of bodyguards.

• Flock of doves to introduce him at every press conference, like a John Woo movie.
Helicopter to and from every game.

• Personal chef

• Everything on this DJ's tour rider, used to furnish the coach's office before every away game.

• Every paycheck is delivered in cash, in a gym bag, like Ricky Roe in Blue Chips.

• Speaking of Ricky Roe, Bill Walton needs a new tractor.

Those are just a few suggestions. He's got another few months to fine tune everything before it's time to talk to the Knicks and Lakers. It's good to be Luke Walton, and it's good to be Luke Walton's agent.
Helicopter to and from every game.

• Personal chef

• Everything on this DJ's tour rider, used to furnish the coach's office before every away game.

• Every paycheck is delivered in cash, in a gym bag, like Ricky Roe in Blue Chips.

• Speaking of Ricky Roe, Bill Walton needs a new tractor.

Those are just a few suggestions. He's got another few months to fine tune everything before it's time to talk to the Knicks and Lakers. It's good to be Luke Walton, and it's good to be Luke Walton's agent.
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/02/10/stephe ... ar-weekend
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Great article on the struggle and pain Steve went through to get back to coaching the Warriors this year.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15148 ... just-stand" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Congrats Steve on being named NBA Coach of the Year!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Luke should be the co-recipient.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Lute Olson made an appearance
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Luke should be the co-recipient.
Something better:
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

God I hope not. He essentially rolled the ball out there. The game plan was already part of the team, players knew their roles and policed themselves and the culture was there. I can't imagine Luke even bothered to show up to practice. He'll get a head coaching job but unless the Lakers feel like tanking one more year, I'd just as soon hire someone like Van Gundy.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:Luke should be the co-recipient.
He got 8th in the voting, which is pretty impressive considering he's not even a real coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:God I hope not. He essentially rolled the ball out there. The game plan was already part of the team, players knew their roles and policed themselves and the culture was there. I can't imagine Luke even bothered to show up to practice. He'll get a head coaching job but unless the Lakers feel like tanking one more year, I'd just as soon hire someone like Van Gundy.
Youve done an excellent job here assuming a ton of bullshit. Kudos....
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:God I hope not. He essentially rolled the ball out there. The game plan was already part of the team, players knew their roles and policed themselves and the culture was there. I can't imagine Luke even bothered to show up to practice. He'll get a head coaching job but unless the Lakers feel like tanking one more year, I'd just as soon hire someone like Van Gundy.
What a pile of made up garbage post.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:
He won with the defending champion and and MVP. Ernie Kent or Josh Pastner wouldn't have been able to screw that up. Walton may indeed be a solid to gread coach but I'd rather see if he can actually coach on someone else's terrible team before he gets hired here. If he's smart, he rides out the Warriors good times for an even bigger payday and and bettw3 situation so his first coaching stint doesn't become his last.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Me too, Bug, but mostly because I'd hate to see someone I like coaching the Lakers.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Any time you replace a Sun Devil with a Wildcat it's a good thing.
-JB
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'd rather just sell the team to anyone
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
He won with the defending champion and and MVP. Ernie Kent or Josh Pastner wouldn't have been able to screw that up. Walton may indeed be a solid to gread coach but I'd rather see if he can actually coach on someone else's terrible team before he gets hired here. If he's smart, he rides out the Warriors good times for an even bigger payday and and bettw3 situation so his first coaching stint doesn't become his last.
And how easy would it have been for him to just not show up, like you assumed he did. How easy would it have been to just roll the ball out there and just hope that there's no complacency after winning a championship, and that all the other teams would just forget the Warriors are the defending champs and would just roll over for them.

Yeah, Luke Walton did the job that any old idiot could have done. He only coaches in a league where players regularly tune out coaches and half-ass things after they get a big contract or a ring, and even sometimes when they don't have those things.

It's ok Bug. Your Arizona Derangement Syndrome seems to have flared up again. Go home, watch two Dan Gadzuric highlights, and then call us in the morning.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

What does Arizona have to do with anything? Once they hit the league, I could care less where they played. I rooted for him hard as a Laker. I'd feel the same way about hiring Earl Watson too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:What does Arizona have to do with anything? Once they hit the league, I could care less where they played. I rooted for him hard as a Laker. I'd feel the same way about hiring Earl Watson too.
I was trying to find a reason for your delusion as far as what Luke had to do to take over from Kerr and the credit he deserves for not only keeping that team focused on defending their championship, but in putting up some amazing records (16-0, 39-4). The fact that you think just anyone could do the same thing I attributed to you thinking Walton is some sort of scrub due to his Arizona connection. Since that's not true, you must just be ignorant. I still think the rivalry reasoning is a better look, but hey, you're the one who has to wear it...

I'm a Lakers fan too. I also would like to see other candidates ahead of Luke. First because he lacks experience. Second because I don't like the Triangle Offense, especially with how that would fit the current personnel. The job he did with Golden State this season is reason #1 I would want him as the coach.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

No. I think the job Walton did was overstated and anyone with basketball background could do it. He did a great job filling in, but he kept a well oiled machine exactly as it was. That alone does not qualify him as a coach in my opinion. He might be a legendary coach but at this point I don't feel like he did a better or worse job than any other basketball coach would have done. The fact that people think that job alone qualifies him annoys me. It isn't rational probably but I don't think any coach could have screwed that up and I bet most people would agree. If that's the case then the lone qualification for his hiring is ridiculous. Pretty sure he wouldn't have done any different then. Am I wrong? Maybe? Am I off base? Probably not. I give him all the credit in the world for what he did with GS. Perhaps he's a better coach than Kerr is.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So then I take it that Kerr is also vastly overrated? I mean, this well-oiled machine got Mark Jackson fired but yet turned a guy with no coaching experience into a world champion and coach of the year. Maybe both the Lakers and Warriors should save a bunch of money and have no coaching staffs at all.....

By the way, watching you contradict yourself from one thought to the next is fun. "Am I wrong? Maybe. Am I off base? Probably not." :lol: Don't they mean the same thing? You give him all the credit in the world . . . for doing what anyone with any basketball background would have done? That's not "credit". It's a piss poor attempt at a backhanded compliment where you got confused, doubled back, but still ended up contradicting yourself again. The mental gymnastics it took for you to formulate these posts anoints you the Olga Korbut of this board. Keep practicing those gold medal splits...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I give Steve Kerr the same credit I gove Phil Jackson for taking over for Del Harris. I'm not sure why you are bringing up Kerr to me, I think he's done a fabulous job creating the culture, brand, and winning formula there. He did such a great job that Walton was able to sustain it.

I give Walton credit for sustaining what was in place already. I don't feel like sustaining the defending champion is enough to warrant the Lakers job.

If I sound confused I apologize. My 9 month old is fighting croup and I've gotten 6 hours of sleep in two days.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

If Miller ever leaves I hope we go hard after Luke.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

If nothing else, props for the Olga Korbut reference!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Young Steve! We tried to get him to dunk at his camp every year and he never would. He kicked my ass in a free thow comp though
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Just got tossed from the Sac game. Came nearly to center court. Screaming at the ref, "That's BULLSHIT! That's bullshit! FUCK you! FUCK you!" Lost his shit. It was awesome. Fiery!