Official: "Holy Shit, Steph Curry!!!" Thread...

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: Official: "Holy Shit, Steph Curry!!!" Thread...

Post by Alieberman »

Is Steph the 1st superstar that is universally loved?

Lots of people hated MJ, Kobe, Lebron, P Manning, T Brady, Barry Bonds, ARod, etc. but I'm not sure even fans of opposing teams dislike Steph
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Alieberman wrote:Is Steph the 1st superstar that is universally loved?

Lots of people hated MJ, Kobe, Lebron, P Manning, T Brady, Barry Bonds, ARod, etc. but I'm not sure even fans of opposing teams dislike Steph
There are illogical outliers in all fanbases, but, even at Spurstalk the best, most knowledgable adore him.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Great question.

Yes. Wonder if going to a little school like Davidson-----vs UNC-CH or Duke -----had a little to do with the way he developed as a "real" public personality. Small school 45 mins or so from urban Charlotte, small classes, known for giving an education to students---- be they athletes or not. My perception is "prima donna" doesn't work well there.

Loved the "I'm BACK!" scream and look last night.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ESPN's Curry stats for this season:
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... mvp-season" target="_blank

Impossible to land on a single stat because each is a WOW. So, just a taste: his 3point % from the corners was 71.9!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Steph Curry and Willie Mays (not counting the racists) might be the most popular in my lifetime.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

and then...

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think Magic and Bird were both universally loved.

Racists aside, I think Dr. J was universally loved. The racists' problem with Dr. J, if I understand it, was that he played an unapologetically nontraditional game, where tradition had a certain style of play before the NBA was integrated. Dr. J dominated with a style that looked like urban playgrounds. Connie Hawkins would have had the same problem, but he was kept out of the limelight during his prime.

As for Wilt, nobody roots for Goliath.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Steph deserved the unanimous MVP, but it is insane that he's the first unanimous MVP in NBA history. Just within the last 20-25 years, LeBron being one vote short in 2012-13 (when the one vote went to CARMELO ANTHONY), Shaq in 99-00 (lost one vote to Allen Iverson) and Jordan in 95-96 and 1991-92 are all highway robberies.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Longhorned wrote:

Racists aside, I think Dr. J was universally loved. The racists' problem with Dr. J, if I understand it, was that he played an unapologetically nontraditional game, where tradition had a certain style of play before the NBA was integrated. Dr. J dominated with a style that looked like urban playgrounds. Connie Hawkins would have had the same problem, but he was kept out of the limelight during his prime.

A Connie Hawkins mention!

Man, I loved Connie Hawkins!

Possibly the most under-credited superstar in history.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Unreal!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RichardCranium wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

A Connie Hawkins mention!

Man, I loved Connie Hawkins!

Possibly the most under-credited superstar in history.
Glad to hear it. I agree.

This was my favorite book when I was a kid:

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Those hands man
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Merkin wrote:and then...

Oscar Robertson says Steph Curry shoots so well because modern NBA defenses are trash

"[Curry] has shot well because of what's going on in basketball today. In basketball today, it's almost like if you can dunk or make a three-point shot, you're the greatest thing since sliced bread...there have been some great shooters in the past...but here again, when I played...if you shot outside and hit it, the next time I'm going to be up on top of you. I'm going to pressure you with three-quarters, half-court defense. But now they don't do that. These coaches do not understand the game of basketball, as far as I'm concerned."

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/osca ... ash-022516" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oscar Robertson played against a bunch of 6'0" white guys who had no strength and bagged groceries in the off season.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

And if the Big O played today with access to modern nutrition and medicine, he'd still be one of the best players ever.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Chicat wrote:And if the Big O played today with access to modern nutrition and medicine, he'd still be one of the best players ever.
I think it was TNT where they were discussing comparing players from different eras. One person said they think Gary Payton would be able to lock up Curry. The other countered with the fact that Gary Payton never had to guard someone while trying to run through three moving screens like Golden State employs and is allowed to do by the refs.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

If Gary Payton got a little frustrated he would just quit and refuse to go back into the game. Anybody remember his last game in McKale?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

the real dill wrote:
Merkin wrote:and then...

Oscar Robertson says Steph Curry shoots so well because modern NBA defenses are trash

"[Curry] has shot well because of what's going on in basketball today. In basketball today, it's almost like if you can dunk or make a three-point shot, you're the greatest thing since sliced bread...there have been some great shooters in the past...but here again, when I played...if you shot outside and hit it, the next time I'm going to be up on top of you. I'm going to pressure you with three-quarters, half-court defense. But now they don't do that. These coaches do not understand the game of basketball, as far as I'm concerned."

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/osca ... ash-022516" target="_blank
TM knows infinitely more about basketball and the NBA than I do, but what an insult to NBA head coaches. My guess is they understand the game of basketball. And to my eye, Curry is getting all kinds of pressure, with defenders draped on him like a shirt on both sides of the court. Like most point guards, Curry is able to shake his defender. But unlike any player I've ever seen, he's able to shake his defender for a fraction of a moment and quickly release from a hole in the atmosphere and nail the contested 3-pointer over and over and over again.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Curry's true talent is the combination of ball-handling and shooting. As LH points out, he's got a quick, accurate release. Pair that with an insane ability to dribble and it's impossible for defenders to stop. I've seen guys stick with him through four different moves only to be caught leaning on the fifth juke and it's over. That's not bad defense. That's exceptional and unprecedented offense. Give the man his due.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Curry's true talent is the combination of ball-handling and shooting. As LH points out, he's got a quick, accurate release. Pair that with an insane ability to dribble and it's impossible for defenders to stop. I've seen guys stick with him through four different moves only to be caught leaning on the fifth juke and it's over. That's not bad defense. That's exceptional and unprecedented offense. Give the man his due.
The level of at-oneness or Zuhandenkeit or whatever when dribbling is amazing. In a totally controlled way, he's able to let the behind-the-back ball bounce far from his axis, and seemingly on the verge of being out of his own reach, enticing defenders' lunges and instantly clearing space if they hold ground. Not that it would matter as much if he wasn't so absolutely deadly with the off-balance, quick shot in motion off the dribble. I don't know if there's a comparison to any player in history.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:Curry's true talent is the combination of ball-handling and shooting. As LH points out, he's got a quick, accurate release. Pair that with an insane ability to dribble and it's impossible for defenders to stop. I've seen guys stick with him through four different moves only to be caught leaning on the fifth juke and it's over. That's not bad defense. That's exceptional and unprecedented offense. Give the man his due.
Yes. As an old fart, I denounce the Big O's analysis. Game was a lot less physical in his era. Watch some old YouTubes of those games. A touch was a foul. Scores were higher.

There were no Currys back then. Barely anyone who would crossover on the dribble. Earl Monroe was semi-revolutionary with his spin move (went to the playground and practiced it incessantly ... just thought it was the coolest thing ever).
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

he ain't human
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

gumby wrote:
Yes. As an old fart, I denounce the Big O's analysis. Game was a lot less physical in his era. Watch some old YouTubes of those games. A touch was a foul. Scores were higher.

There were no Currys back then. Barely anyone who would crossover on the dribble. Earl Monroe was semi-revolutionary with his spin move (went to the playground and practiced it incessantly ... just thought it was the coolest thing ever).
Earl the Pearl was fun to watch.

Curry has the best combination of handle and shot I have ever seen. Not even close. And he's clutch.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I remember watching prime Nash thinking he had perfected playing basketball counter-intuitively - meaning he was so wrong it was right. Shooting off the back foot, over dribbling, jumping to pass, but being in complete awe that he was so comfortable doing things we've all been taught not to do, and that he was so effective/efficient doing so.

In many ways Curry is similar, but to the enth degree. He's not as "wrong" as Nash, but he plays unlike any player you will ever play against. There's just literally no way to practice for him. Nobody has a tighter handle, nobody has a quicker release, nobody has a more accurate shot, nobody has faster in the moment instincts and reactions to what he sees, or anticipates.

But even his shooting is so counter-intuitive in that nobody else takes those shots.

How can you prepare for it, even if you know it's coming, if you can't react faster, or have no idea what's coming next?

He plays the defender like a yo-yo master.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Curry is the ultimate example of someone who you just have to deny or hope he misses. It doesn't matter if the only shot he creates is a contested 25 footer. He'll knock that contested 25 footer down. He'll throw 5 or 6 fakes just to get there, but if he gets there, he isn't going to miss many. Good shots for him are shots that don't get blocked.

The fairest point in sort of chipping at him historically is the way he benefits from the tightest whistles on handchecks in NBA history. Current refs are told to have tighter whistles than any time in the past. That plays to Steph's advantages. In the 90's, you could get really physical with him and bounce him around to exploit the fact he's small and relatively frail.

You just can't play Bad Boys style ball where you wear someone down under today's rules.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

That man is not human.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:40 pm That man is not human.
From what I understand, this video is edited somehow
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:47 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:40 pm That man is not human.
From what I understand, this video is edited somehow
SOROS STRIKES AGAIN!!!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He's a fucking freak.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:04 pm He's a fucking freak.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

..... and, that one trip to the stripe where he missed both free throws

~ Wilhoit's Law
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Tidy stat sheet.

Hanging Half a Hundred in a Game 7 is clutch as fuck.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The baby-faced assassin.

~ Wilhoit's Law