Sam Hinkie steps down

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Sam Hinkie steps down

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

With a really martyrish letter of resignation.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15150 ... operations" target="_blank
Alieberman

Re: Sam Hinkie steps down

Post by Alieberman »

That's going to be a tough act to follow
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Not part of the process
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Bryan Colangelo is taking over. Sounds like a good move for the sixers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

There's really only so many years in a row you can be the worst team in the league before it's an issue.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

You can't trust a process you can't control.

All those years of being awful and no top picks.

Too many injured upside picks.

Too many big man picks.

No quality guard picks after MCW who is quintessential good player on bad team.

Such a shame.

Curious to see a Colangelo-run team. He always had a very traditional vision, though he did dabble with small ball, stretch fours and multiple ball-handlers.

Not sure how a Okafor or Noel fit in a Colangelo vision. Embiid and Saric, maybe. Going forward a Simmons or Ingram, definitely, Smith is handpicked, and McConnell is a solid PG with a good contract and solid enough upside. After that, who knows.

They do have a few assets.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What does this mean for TJ?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Merkin wrote:What does this mean for TJ?
Colangelo's love guards.

My guess is TJ is elsewhere next year, but I think he's proven his value to justify a role on another team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It probably isn't good, but may not be bad.

Hinkie was all about acquiring assets and not stressing actually winning. TJ would not have gotten the PT he did if it wasn't for that approach. If TJ is going to have a significant NBA career, it is as a bench guy.

Really, this hastens the transition for TJ into what his realistic long term role in the league is. He isn't a starter on a good team. Now that Philly may actually factor in winning, his role will be more of what it should have been from the beginning, which is a backup and high character guy.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Hinkie was all about acquiring assets and not stressing actually winning. TJ would not have gotten the PT he did if it wasn't for that approach. If TJ is going to have a significant NBA career, it is as a bench guy.

Really, this hastens the transition for TJ into what his realistic long term role in the league is. He isn't a starter on a good team. Now that Philly may actually factor in winning, his role will be more of what it should have been from the beginning, which is a backup and high character guy.
If he spends the offseason working on his spot up or pull-up perimeter shot, he'll have a 10 year career.

Other teams wanted to draft him in 2nd round and he told them thanks, but he was going to roll the dice with Philly. He's proven plenty with that opportunity. Improve a bit more, and he'll be a valued asset for a contending team as backup PG. Maybe not next year. But he's done enough to land another roster spot.

A team like Memphis makes a ton of sense. Toronto. San Antonio. He'll have options.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If he spends the offseason working on his spot up or pull-up perimeter shot, he'll have a 10 year career.

Other teams wanted to draft him in 2nd round and he told them thanks, but he was going to roll the dice with Philly. He's proven plenty with that opportunity. Improve a bit more, and he'll be a valued asset for a contending team as backup PG. Maybe not next year. But he's done enough to land another roster spot.

A team like Memphis makes a ton of sense. Toronto. San Antonio. He'll have options.
I agree with that a good bit. A backup PG role is one he could fill for a while with the right organization.

I think I've said this a few times before, but good organizations want 8-12 roster spots filled with high character, low maintenance types. That is TJ's role. I think he showed enough that he will draw interest on the market for that spot.

Also, you're dead on with the shooting. If he can be a consistent, solid shooter, the rest of it is already there.