[youtube]j6Sos3q6ASo[/youtube]
Jefe

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by Jefe »

Woh, CJ Fair undrafted
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:All this talk about drafting a guy who can help a team win a championship...who was the last player that won a championship with his original team. Dwayne Wade? I mean, nobody sticks with their original team anymore.

I mean, you need to get established NBA players to win in the league. No player from a draft is gonna make a team win. FA is what the NBA is all about.

Draft night is about getting your shot. It is really the only NBA thing I am interested in, and only because it is the loss of the age of innocence...the players I watched (well most of them) play in college, I will no longer be watching.
Not really. All five of the last five Champs have had at least one of their top 3 players be a draft pick. At least three have had their best player be an original draft pick. The Celtics, it depends on where you rank Pierce in the big 3.

Plus, the free agency market is skewed. Certain franchises (Milwaukee, Charlotte, NO, etc) just aren't going to attract big time free agents. Drafting well and flipping assets is their shot at being good.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

NYCat wrote:Payne to Atlanta
Really, really like what the Hawks are doing. I have them pegged for making a run at home court this season. Shooting at all 5 positions, two very good players on amazing contracts (Horford & Millsap) and a TON of cap space. Love the Payne pick and I think they are a move away from being in the ECF. Remember, they were 3rd in the East before Horford went down.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Really, really like what the Hawks are doing. I have them pegged for making a run at home court this season. Shooting at all 5 positions, two very good players on amazing contracts (Horford & Millsap) and a TON of cap space. Love the Payne pick and I think they are a move away from being in the ECF. Remember, they were 3rd in the East before Horford went down.
So they're a borderline playoff team in the West?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

JMarkJohns wrote:It's all about asset acquisition right now.

They'll suck again next year, but end up with a top-3 in a solid draft, likely go for a true PG or SF.

Outside of not trying to acquire Hood, I think their draft was pretty perfect.
Hinkie is smart, he knows that he has the time to rebuild on his own plan and they the easiest way to turn the 76ers into a strong team is to collect assets. Either they pan out and he finds a star or he has a TON of young talent that could entice another team to sign and trade him a star.

I liked the Noel pick and I like the Embiid pick even more. I am not sold on MCW, but taking Embiid at 3, even with his injury concerns, is the perfect move for them. I know they wanted Wiggins, but if you told 76ers fans they would walk away with Embiid, even with health concerns, I think they would take it.

Hinkie is playing for the future. You need a star to compete in the NBA and the most likely way to land one if via the draft.
Last edited by TucsonClip on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Right now? Yes. Lets see what happens in free agency and how they use their cap space. Have been a Budenholzer fan for years and Ferry is the perfect front office fit for him. They are on the same page and have been able to compile a roster that fits perfectly with his/the Spurs system.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Right now? Yes. Lets see what happens in free agency and how they use their cap space. Have been a Budenholzer fan for years and Ferry is the perfect front office fit for him. They are on the same page and have been able to compile a roster that fits perfectly with his/the Spurs system.
I'm just joking. Since they abandoned the Josh Smith era, I've liked what the Hawks are doing too.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

15 Who Made Bad NBA Draft Decisions
1. Jahii Carson, Arizona State Sun Devils
This one always baffled me because the athletic point guard made his intentions clear before the start of the season despite the fact that virtually no NBA evaluators had him anywhere near the first round. Carson went undrafted and will almost certainly wind up overseas or in the D-League instead of spending another year in college trying to show NBA teams he could mature and work his way into the second round (and potentially receive a guaranteed deal) a year from now.
8. Nick Johnson, Arizona Wildcats
Carson and Johnson played AAU ball together not all that long ago. I understand Johnson’s thought process that he isn’t going to grow between this year and next season and likely won’t have a better season than he had as a junior. However, Johnson could have gotten his degree and potentially hung Arizona’s second national championship banner. Johnson wound up going 42nd to the Houston Rockets, and while he has a chance to make the team, it’s not going to be an easy task.
15. Alex Kirk, New Mexico Lobos
I never quite understood this one. Kirk needed to come back for another season in college, but maybe he’d had enough and was ready to take the next step -- even if it means having a minimal chance of playing in the NBA.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-go ... fresh=true
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Gotta love Jeff Goodman. Or you don't. I don't .
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Save for college experiences, it was unlikely Johnson's stock would improve, as he wouldn't have had the stats from a lesser offensive usage and would have played even less PG than last year. Unless he grew 2 inches or more or became Salim as a senior, it just isn't realistic to think his range next year was any better than his 25-45 range this year.

But let's say he improves his stock by 5-10 positions, where is the difference? Still 2nd-Round. Still fighting for a contract?

This wasn't a Grant Jerrett foolishness.

I'd said all along I heard Houston, San Antonio, Miami were interested to a degree along with Phoenix. Miami traded for the PG like I said, San Antonio had the perfect player slip to them, Phoenix did what I said they were at 27 and went draft/stash, and Houston took Johnson, but in the 2nd, not 1st to save guaranteed money for FA.

Johnson will likely get the vets minimum over 3 years.