Lakers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCatInTheHat

Re: Lakers

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Regarding Imus. I fully realize that in his long radio career (almost 50 years), he said some wrong things. Pretty hard to rattle along as a fairly outrageous and prolific comedian and have zero problems. I just remember walking in New York City as a kid in the early 70's, and everybody had his show playing on WNBC. He was telling some story, and you could follow it as you went from shop to shop, because everybody had it on, which pretty much shows how he was received. That was a pretty neat experience.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I lived in NYC for a while when Stern started kicking Imus’ ass. Never really was a fan.

But back to your original point TC I didn’t get the sense the “NY” broadcast crew was favoring the Dubs that much and I’m usually aware of that kind of stuff. But I do agree Mark Jackson doesn’t provide any in depth insights. It always feels like he’s just along for the ride. And Van Gundy just likes to whine about calls.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Full transparency: they're like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears. So around the time of the first "Laykuhz", the sound goes way down, and I don't hang on every word. But I'd LIKE to be able to listen. Van Gundy is just an idiot; it's astonishing he was an NBA coach.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Glad I watched it on mute. It doesn't sound like I missed anything worthwhile
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

You haven't lived until you've heard:

Van Gundy~ "If I were an NBA player I wouldn't ......."
Jackson~ "I couldn't possibly imagine you as an NBA player."

It's absolutely riveting.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I agree with the talking heads: Dubs must win this game, and I want them to win.

But I'm an unabashed Spurs fan. Light it up Lonnie Walker!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Fucking Lonnie Walker.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Lonnie Fucking Walker!

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I apologize for saying this on the lower boards, but being LeBron's coach is like being Trump's lawyer.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

1 more.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Lonnie fucking Walker & Austin Reeves
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Say what you want about fading dynasties, but even to this day the Spurs generate player excellence the way the universe's engine of physics accretion generates planets. I hope I live long enough to witness another Spurs hegemony.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:40 pm Lonnie fucking Walker & Austin Reeves
Yup, that slippery white boy did the do.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Get that Spurs shit out of here Dove. Dynasty? With a measly 5 titles? Hah!

It’s blasphemy to use that term in this thread.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:06 pm Get that Spurs shit out of here Dove. Dynasty? With a measly 5 titles? Hah!

What was I thinking?

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:21 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:06 pm Get that Spurs shit out of here Dove. Dynasty? With a measly 5 titles? Hah!

What was I thinking?
All kidding aside, I have tremendous respect for what Pop accomplished in SA. He was a tremendous coach and his player development is almost unrivaled.

But back to the thread title. If you think I feel comfortable being up 3-1 to the Dubs you are quite mistaken. That team just oozes with confidence and will keep firing away. I expect a full on assault on Wednesday and if there is a game 6 back in LA the pressure will be huge on the Lakers.

Great chess match last night between Kerr and Ham. Kerr kept pick n' rolling on AD allowing the Warriors to get to the rim more effectively. Ham going after Steph and Thompson on D so their legs would tire in the 4th quarter.

This is a high intensity series which will only get crazier imo.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:30 pm Fucking Lonnie Walker.
Who the hell is Lonnie Walker?

Seriously... I had never even heard of him before yesterday
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:51 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:30 pm Fucking Lonnie Walker.
Who the hell is Lonnie Walker?

Seriously... I had never even heard of him before yesterday
Former first round pick by the Spurs out of Miami. Also was Mr Pennsylvania Basketball out of HS and was a McDonald's AA.
Lakers signed him to a 1 year deal after a couple of years with the Spurs.
Seems like a humble, nice kid who worked hard waiting for his opportunity - and then came up huge last night.

Also found this note that makes me want to root for him even more:

In June 2020, Walker revealed he had been the victim of sexual abuse by family members as an adolescent, and had grown out his trademark long hairstyle as a coping mechanism. In deciding to cut his hair, Walker described the act as having "shed my skin mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:06 am

In June 2020, Walker revealed he had been the victim of sexual abuse by family members as an adolescent, and had grown out his trademark long hairstyle as a coping mechanism. In deciding to cut his hair, Walker described the act as having "shed my skin mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually
Wow...

Oh come on ECC- that's not fair... trying to get me to a root for a Laker.... not cool bro.... not cool.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:23 am

Wow...

Oh come on ECC- that's not fair... trying to get me to a root for a Laker.... not cool bro.... not cool.
Laker nation would welcome you with open arms Ari. And I know you want to taste that Championship champagne so badly.

Are you really holding out hope that the proverbial Lucy will keep that Suns football in place for Charlie Brown?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:30 am
Alieberman wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:23 am

Wow...

Laker nation would welcome you with open arms Ari. And I know you want to taste that Championship champagne so badly.

Are you really holding out hope that the proverbial Lucy will keep that Suns football in place for Charlie Brown?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh I know how this will probably end for the Suns... but I can't get off this train!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You knew after Kerr whined about flopping fouls the game was going to be called differently last night.

The Lakers need to show up big time Friday night, that's for sure.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:20 am You knew after Kerr whined about flopping fouls the game was going to be called differently last night.

Will Anthony Davis be walking on his own by then?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:14 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:20 am You knew after Kerr whined about flopping fouls the game was going to be called differently last night.

Will Anthony Davis be walking on his own by then?
If he isn't we are in big trouble.

Ham better be telling his team to be as aggressive as shit because the Dubs are going to be coming hard tomorrow night.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

If AD has a concussion he needs to sit it out, but I couldn't see that much contact. LeBron is gonna have to man up and take some bruising. Draymond is such an important influential player. I'm really starting to hate is perpetually open word hole. I bet he emerged from the womb mid bitch-talking the midwife.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Can't watch the game tonite so any comments will be appreciated. Being down 10 points ain't much for a high octane offense like the Dubs, but right now it looks like they can't hit water from the beach.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:15 pm Can't watch the game tonite so any comments will be appreciated. Being down 10 points ain't much for a high octane offense like the Dubs, but right now it looks like they can't hit water from the beach.
Would of been 7
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Schroder just got ejected for his 2nd technical foul
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Nuggets in 6
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It’s going to be another Lakers Celtics Finals isn’t it?

I hate being a Suns fan
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I sure don't want LeBron to win the Conference, but damn, he puts up 10 for 14 and damn near posts a triple double. We'll see what the Lakers' defense does against Nikola.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Dubs took 37% more shots than the Lakers; out rebounded the Lakers, and lost by 21.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

6-0 at home during the playoffs. Just like the old days.

Lakers played like a team desperate not to go back to the Bay Area. Oh, and thank you Klay Thompson for all of the bricks.

Denver will be tough so we will see if this team can keep rolling.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

The Lakers started with exactly the defensive gameplan I wanted to see, by blanketing Curry even when he was away from the ball. A combination of Schroder, Reaves, and James stayed on Curry at all times. Only time it broke down and Curry was able to start landing daggers was when briefly guarded by Hachimura toward the end of the first half. Curry ultimately finished with 32 pts, but those were points he was worked to the max for.

On top of keying in on Curry, it sure helped that other than DiVincenzo the rest of the Warriors were cold - Thompson (3-19), Poole, Green, and Wiggins.

And this is overly obvious to say, but the Lakers are a completely different team with Davis on the floor. Davis owned the boards; he challenged for the rebound on every last shot at either end, for a total of 20 Rebs. With him on the bench, the Warriors were grabbing noticeably more boards.

See you later Steph - plenty of time to uncork a red blend at your wife's Vegas restaurant.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Nikola out rebounding the entire Laker team?

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Did the Lakers forget how to play defense?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Nikola hitting a fall away 3 at the buzzer, sure no problem
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Nikola's a flopper, lol
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Are they playing AAU ball, no defense? Just an incredible amount of scoring.

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Nice comeback try but came up short.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I would be shocked if the Lakers get by Denver.

Denver is really good at every position and is playing really well. I expect Denver to win it all
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Alieberman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:25 am I would be shocked if the Lakers get by Denver.

Denver is really good at every position and is playing really well. I expect Denver to win it all
I’d agree except for the fact that Lakers completely figured them out in the second half and nearly pulled off the upset. If I’m a Nuggets fan, I’m worried.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Game 2 will be telling. If the Lakers take what they did in the second half and beat the Nuggets tomorrow night then it's anybody's series.

What worried me about LA was the first half lack of effort as well as getting dominated on the boards: 47-30 for the game and 15-5 on the offensive glass. That must change for them to have a chance.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Yeah, I think Denver just let off the gas and let the Lakers back in it. Game 2 will indeed be telling. Lakers still have a 5-10% chance to pull it off. Denver really shots the ball well from distance and they get after the boards. Of course Jokic is special so if you can limit him in some way you have a chance
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Lakers need a guard like Murray. Dude is a stud
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Maybe not let that guy shoot?

Lakers choked that game away and probably the series.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Lakers could also benefit from some *more O boards.

* edit

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Lebron has missed 19 consecutive 3-pointers in the fourth quarter dating back to Game 2 of the opening round of the playoffs. Tough to win against better competition when one of your best player can't deliver when it matters. Murray on the other hand scored 23 in the 4th qtr last night. It was his fourth career 20-point fourth quarter in the playoffs, which also registers as the most of any player in the last 25 seasons.