Lakers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: Lakers

Post by MrBug708 »

Magic won the day yesterday, fell on his face today. No sense in trading for Leonard now, play the other kids with Lebron and the vets and hope for Leonard/Klay next year
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrBug708 wrote:Magic won the day yesterday, fell on his face today. No sense in trading for Leonard now, play the other kids with Lebron and the vets and hope for Leonard/Klay next year
Fell on his face by signing guys to one year deals?

Rondo is a better back up PG then whoever the lakers had. McGee is a decent back up center

Lance has been through battles

Lakers making money moves

Dubnations time is going to be over soon

Kawhi coming to the lakers...bank on it
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The rich get richer.

Good luck catching them LA.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Newportcat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Magic won the day yesterday, fell on his face today. No sense in trading for Leonard now, play the other kids with Lebron and the vets and hope for Leonard/Klay next year
Fell on his face by signing guys to one year deals?

Rondo is a better back up PG then whoever the lakers had. McGee is a decent back up center

Lance has been through battles

Lakers making money moves

Dubnations time is going to be over soon

Kawhi coming to the lakers...bank on it
It will, but when their tome is done, LeBron will be like 39
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:The rich get richer.

Good luck catching them LA.

Bad ass! I love cousins
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Do have some good points.

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

No they don’t.

Stern didn’t veto the Paul trade because of competition or Lakers.

The Hornets were NBA owned at the Times, meaning every owner owned 1/29th of them, and Stern was charged with two things: 1. Selling them for highest price, 2. Making sure they didn’t do anything to cause price to go down.

Throughout multi-sport history a team up for sale does two things and avoids 2 things.

Do
1. It cuts longterm costs
2. It acquire draft picks and young assets
Don’t
1. Acquire longterm costs
2. Acquire aging players

The hornets were receiving Dragic, solid deal, but a potebtial costly Free Agent in a year, Scola, who was so burdensome a contract, when trade failed, Houston waived and stretched his contract, and a measly Lakers first from a team with Kobe, Paul, Bynum who would be flipped for Howard, so, it was going to be a 28-30 type 1st....

For a generational, in-prime PG during a PG era.

Stern had no choice by to veto a trade where a franchise kept afloat by 29 other owners was increasing their costs while undercutting longterm equity of max price sale.

That and Boogie is a near 30-year old Big Man with average athleticism coming off an Achilles Tear that typically undercuts longevity. He sees a unique window to maybe win a title while rehabbing and playing back into shape with zero pressure or expectation in a season he’s only goin got be playing half of at the most.

It’s not a healthy, prime Boogie turning down 150 million to take a 5 million deal.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Gilbert threw a fit and that was that. But they created a league to punish the bigger market teams (Lakers) and this is the mess we have. It's almost as if the NBA is run like California, but it is what it is.
Last edited by MrBug708 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Not a single Lakers fan bitched about LeBron not taking 250 million or more from Cleveland to take a 100 million discount to sign with LA.

Gotta stop this petty shit.

Warriors aren’t fucking around and know how to not fuck around better than everyone. They are the 1980s Lakers/Celtics, 1990s Yankees, 2000 Patriots.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

MrBug708 wrote:Gilbert threw a fit and that was that
28 owners were not paying more money for the Lakers to steal Paul in a history bucking trade that made the Hornets less attractive for sale, which undercut all their investments.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Exactly, rumors are boogie won’t be ready until late in the season

And also how does he even fit that team at all

I think it’s a pick up that could hurt them. They don’t need help or another all star. Boogie wants touches to earn another big deal

I’m fine with the NBA though I am a die hard laker fan and feel like I am supremely blessed m
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
28 owners were not paying more money for the Lakers to steal Paul in a history bucking trade that made the Hornets less attractive for sale, which undercut all their investments.
The owners were indifferent, Gilbert was the only one vocal about it.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

As a lifetime Laker fan I’m pretty effing happy about the past few days. I didn’t think in a million years the LeBron rumors were true. I had thought PG13 was a lock. I was pretty shocked and pissed when he resigned with OKC. So I was even more shocked when LeBron decided on the Lakers after that. So I was tempering my expectations to something along the lines of the Lakers giving a max 3-4 year contract to Boogie and taking a year flyer on IT again... Gross. So yeah I’m happy. Their signings are pretty confusing to me, but stepping back and looking at it, I doubt they could have signed better players on short deals. They are all solid players and defenders, but all head cases and pretty poor shooters. But it’s all opening up for Kawhi and putting a lot of pressure on the Spurs. Definitely not happy about PG13 resigning and Randle leaving, but I think they are a trade away from being close to GSW in 2019. And they didn’t lose any of their young core other than Randle. Ingram is gonna be a stud.

And I’m really confused about the Cousins on the Warriors thing. They don’t need him, he’s somewhat of a risk and is a weird fit on that team. I guess it’s a low risk high reward thing for both sides. But he’s not gonna be able to showcase much for a big contract the next year on that team, I guess he’s ring chasing?? Reality is gonna hit the Warriors after this year with all of the huge contracts and I’m sure egos will eventually play a factor.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What really doesn't make sense is Rajon Rondo. Apparently LeBron dislikes him and they just created a competition/controversy at PG with Ball and his dad of course. Seems like a weird move.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

And I’m really confused about the Cousins on the Warriors thing. They don’t need him, he’s somewhat of a risk and is a weird fit on that team. I guess it’s a low risk high reward thing for both sides. But he’s not gonna be able to showcase much for a big contract the next year on that team, I guess he’s ring chasing?? Reality is gonna hit the Warriors after this year with all of the huge contracts and I’m sure egos will eventually play a factor.
5.3 million a great deal for the Warriors. Seems like the Lakers might have backed off for now maybe due to timing and questions about his injury. Boogie won't be ready to play (if all goes well) until Jan. - Feb. '19 or maybe even by the playoffs. Ditto on your thoughts re: ring and showcase. His next contract should be huge if the chess moves work out as planned.
ASUHATER! wrote:What really doesn't make sense is Rajon Rondo. Apparently LeBron dislikes him and they just created a competition/controversy at PG with Ball and his dad of course. Seems like a weird move.
Playoff Rondo a very high IQ player. I'm guessing that Magic/ Pelinka ran this pick by Lebron before signing off on him. RR knows how to compete hard, has a dog mentality won't back down. Might be good for Lonzo (and other younguns) to learn a few tricks from a veteran who's been in big games.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At this point it's just hard to see the Lakers being anywhere near a title team. All the pundits on CBS sports radio I've been listening to seemingly have agreed that this move is far more about setting up his off the court interests and that basketball and winning are a secondary thing for LeBron.

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I’m curious what pace they are gonna run. Ball is better in transition, pushing tempo, and Rondo is a ball-pounder who stalls flow while he feels out. So is LeBron.

They could have two tempos, but gonna was hard to bench Ball and keep him happy long term, or have Ball push tempo alongside LeBron.

Lots of weird fits.

For Warriors, signing Boogie was as much making sure he didn’t ever help the Celtics or Rockets as much as it was securing whatever help he brings this year is for them. He was a wildcard. Now he’s their wildcard!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:At this point it's just hard to see the Lakers being anywhere near a title team. All the pundits on CBS sports radio I've been listening to seemingly have agreed that this move is far more about setting up his off the court interests and that basketball and winning are a secondary thing for LeBron.
Which pundits? Because they are all wrong

Guys like Lebron don't turn off their competitive nature. Sure I agree I do not see the Lakers being a title team this year unless they get Kawhi. But they sure as heck will be one next year as they will get either Kawhi or Klay or Jimmy Butler in free agency or other pieces because guys will want to play with Lebron and the Lakers. The Lakers are the best brand in the NBA and clearly have strong management now running the show so they will attract great talent around him. Yes was it smart for him to join the lakers given the ability to grow his brand. But to say Lebron feels winning is now secondary is just dumb.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Klay Thompson! now this would be cool...but maybe only dreaming at this point.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersp ... Lakers-NBA" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:At this point it's just hard to see the Lakers being anywhere near a title team. All the pundits on CBS sports radio I've been listening to seemingly have agreed that this move is far more about setting up his off the court interests and that basketball and winning are a secondary thing for LeBron.

Guys like Lebron don't turn off their competitive nature. Sure I agree I do not see the Lakers being a title team this year unless they get Kawhi. But they sure as heck will be one next year as they will get either Kawhi or Klay or Jimmy Butler in free agency or other pieces because guys will want to play with Lebron and the Lakers. The Lakers are the best brand in the NBA and clearly have strong management now running the show so they will attract great talent around him. Yes was it smart for him to join the lakers given the ability to grow his brand. But to say Lebron feels winning is now secondary is just dumb.
This
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

HiCat wrote:Klay Thompson! now this would be cool...but maybe only dreaming at this point.

This is why the Lakers are not going to trade the farm away for Kawhi. I honestly think Klay would be a better fit in some ways as he breaks up the Warriors and provides the shooting Lebron needs.

Klay would be the perfect compliment to Lebron and I could see him enjoying a new challenge. Teams don't stay together forever. Guys get old, bored, etc. Also, Warriors would have to pay a monster luxury tax check to keep him

I would bet a lot of money that either Klay or Kawhi is wearing a Lakers jersey in 2019
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

This
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Incorrect. It's the general consensus of pretty much the entire nation outside of delusional Laker fan.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Incorrect. It's the general consensus of pretty much the entire nation outside of delusional Laker fan.
Can you provide any links? I listen to a lot of sports talk radio and not one single person I have heard has said that LeBron doesnt care about winning or anything close to that
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

If I remember correctly there are quite a few requests for proof outstanding for you Machina. So how 'bout you hop on that?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Newportcat wrote:
HiCat wrote:Klay Thompson! now this would be cool...but maybe only dreaming at this point.

This is why the Lakers are not going to trade the farm away for Kawhi. I honestly think Klay would be a better fit in some ways as he breaks up the Warriors and provides the shooting Lebron needs.

Klay would be the perfect compliment to Lebron and I could see him enjoying a new challenge. Teams don't stay together forever. Guys get old, bored, etc. Also, Warriors would have to pay a monster luxury tax check to keep him

I would bet a lot of money that either Klay or Kawhi is wearing a Lakers jersey in 2019

Ditto this! Seems like Klay T is seriously underpaid given the rings. Interesting.

https://hoopshype.com/player/klay-thompson/salary/" target="_blank
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

scumdevils86 wrote:If I remember correctly there are quite a few requests for proof outstanding for you Machina. So how 'bout you hop on that?
Asking for receipts in one thread while refusing to provide them in another is peak Machina.
Formerly McLurvin
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

JMarkJohns wrote:
The league had a buyer lined up (Benson) and the GM (Demps) was running a team owned by the league. The CP3 trade clogged the balance sheet which was set up for a sale after, instead of collecting assets and clearing said balance sheet.

Thats the story. Dont let anyone tell you any different. Although, im sure I/JMJ will have to repeat this again for the millionth time.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Incorrect. It's the general consensus of pretty much the entire nation outside of delusional Laker fan.
Can you provide any links? I listen to a lot of sports talk radio and not one single person I have heard has said that LeBron doesnt care about winning or anything close to that
I would personally like to see the links too because nothing I have read has said Lebron is done winning and is totally focused on his post basketball career. Not one thing I have read has said anything like the Lakers are giving up too, not trying to aggressively pursue talent around him, etc.

If you think Lebron James no longer wants to or cares about winning Titles, I am really shocked at that level of stupidity
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I would personally like to see the links too because nothing I have read has said Lebron is done winning and is totally focused on his post basketball career. Not one thing I have read has said anything like the Lakers are giving up too, not trying to aggressively pursue talent around him, etc.

If you think Lebron James no longer wants to or cares about winning Titles, I am really shocked at that level of stupidity
I did hear today on Fox Sports Radio that LeBron is invested in LA for non basketball reasons but they still said he was focused on winning and being the best he could
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I did hear today on Fox Sports Radio that LeBron is invested in LA for non basketball reasons but they still said he was focused on winning and being the best he could
I think its smart for Lebron to be in LA for his post career and to continue to grow his brand. I feel the same way about Mike Trout eventually playing for the Yankees, he should do it for many similar reasons. Lebron loves LA, his wife loves LA, and his family loves LA. It is a great place to live and if you are interested in building your brand being in a major market to me is important especially with the connections being a part of the Lakers will get you. Very similar reasons to why Shaq left Orlando.

But, he also trusts the Lakers to do everything in their power to surround him with talent and be focused on winning. He also trusts that the Lakers pitch with him on the team and Magic in charge will be very enticing with guys like Klay or Kawhi or Jimmy Butler etc.

Its a win-win situation and surprised it took this long for the Lakers to get a star player. I guess it really wasn't that long as they weren't getting anyone at the end of Kobe's career. Teams like the Lakers never stay down forever, just like the Yankees. Their brands are too big and the opportunities to make money outside the sport too great while knowing they are with franchises who only care about winning championships and doing everything possible to make it happen.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Lebron's brand going forward is still dependent on him winning, so coming and mailing it in would be counter-productive as well as unlike him.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

This is a good article from SI on his decision

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/07/02/lebro ... ic-johnson" target="_blank

The writer usually has the closet access to Lebron and his camp
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Lakers now have $38M in cap space...and Lebron James

Parades are coming to Figueroa soon!!!!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Just remember, it's primarily about setting up his post basketball entertainment empire, not basketball, and you won't be disappointed. Winning a title in LA is like the 4th thing on his to do list.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Just remember, it's primarily about setting up his post basketball entertainment empire, not basketball, and you won't be disappointed. Winning a title in LA is like the 4th thing on his to do list.
According to you. Not LeBron.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Just remember, it's primarily about setting up his post basketball entertainment empire, not basketball, and you won't be disappointed. Winning a title in LA is like the 4th thing on his to do list.
It's common sense.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
It's common sense.
I’d love to see someone suggest that particular kind of “sense” to Mr. James.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

His post basketball career was already set up well

This is about him building another team into NBA champions to leave his legacy that way. He can’t pass Jordan for rings but he can take three separate teams to NBA championships

Sure great side benefit of being in LA is for his post b-ball career but guys with the talents of lebron at the peak of their game can’t just shut it off
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Will have more money that Jordan, but money can’t buy a killer instinct come nut-cutting time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I like Lebron, and credit to him for thinking about how to set up his post basketball career.

Just with MJ and Kobe, those guys just wanted to kill you on the court. Lebron, when on is unstoppable, just not every game.

MJ still GOAT imo.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I like Lebron, and credit to him for thinking about how to set up his post basketball career.

Just with MJ and Kobe, those guys just wanted to kill you on the court. Lebron, when on is unstoppable, just not every game.

MJ still GOAT imo.
Can you point to a game that Lebron, a guy that has dragged his team to 8 NBA Finals in a row, has taken off?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CalStateTempe wrote:nut-cutting time.
:lol:
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I think MJ was a better basketball player. I thing LeBron, on top of being the greatest player of his generation, is an exemplary human being. Give me LeBron any day of the week.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Lakers looking a little better...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:Lakers looking a little better...
And yet they’re positioning themselves to fire Luke.

If Lebron could drag Tyrone Lue to multiple finals, he couldn’t do the same with Luke Walton?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Magic needs to calm down. Luke was handed basically a brand new team and is trying to figure out. Its embarrassing how quickly coaches get fired in the NBA
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Luke is neither Magic nor Lebron's guy. He was never going to make it past this year barring a run to the WCF. They are going to grab Tyson, now they need to figure out a way to get a shooter on the team for KCP and/or Beasley.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

True. Tyson is a great pick up but they do need a shooter badly. KCP has been a big disapoint though I do like Josh Hart long term but seems like he will only peak as a solid guy off the bench

Hearing rumors that Durant to the lakers is not as improbable as many think...