2019-20 Phoenix Suns

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

2019-20 Phoenix Suns

Post by azcat49 »

Will they be any good in Ayton's second season? They have Rubio who I am not sure is really any good and a bunch of wings that can score led by Booker.

The Mavs with Doncic seem to be closer to the playoffs then the Suns are and we know leadership is very suspect but you guys who follow the league, give us the state of the Suns for this season
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
JMarkJohns

Re: 2019-20 Phoenix Suns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azcat49 wrote:Will they be any good in Ayton's second season?y have Rubio who I am not sure is really any good and a bunch of wings that can score led by Booker.

The Kings with Doncic seem to be closer to the playoffs then the Suns are and we know leadership is very suspect but you guys who follow the league, give us the state of the Suns for this season
It depends on your definition of “Good”

They will be much improved and more competitive and not an easy W for opponents and should win more games by maybe 100% and still not be .500.

Kings have Beasley, but he’s only one piece.

Mavs have Doncic, and while it’s his team now, we have no idea what that means in terms of competitiveness. Porzingis is a thrice operated on C who has never in 3 seasons had more win shares or higher PER than Ayton did his rookie season.

Rubio is a great pass-first PG who defends at a plus plus level. His issue is outside shot. But he doesn’t need to be great. Just man the team. Let Booker score more in spot up (where his percentages are great) and feed Ayton in ideal places at ideal times.

Oubre, Bridges are two dynamic defenders. Each needs to hit their outside shot consistently, but each has that upside.

Tyler Johnson and Baynes provide veteran bench depth and leadership.

And young players like Saric and the second year and first year wings and guards all provide a hint of an elite skill.

It’s still a very young team. But last year prior to Tyler Johnson’s and Oubre’s injuries, the Suns played .500 basketball and competed nightly for an entire month. They keep those two and add Rubio, Saric and shooting.

My guess is they win 34 games, a 15 improvement.

But the potential is there for 38-42.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That’s more wins than I thought so there is hope. Thoughts on the coach? Didn’t they fire the Euro guy?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Looking like a championship team against Minnesota. At least according to my Twitter feed.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azcat49 wrote:That’s more wins than I thought so there is hope. Thoughts on the coach? Didn’t they fire the Euro guy?
They fired Igor, probably mostly because he was going to need time to grow and they didn’t have it, but also probably because he had lost the team or they weren’t interested in learning.

Monty is both a great person and a strict accountability type coach. Sort of a less quotable Bruce Arians.

His system was awful in New Orleans, but he has said he will adapt and let his dogs run free.

We shall see.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Off to a good start with a 124- 95 win over the Kings.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Impressive OT loss to a really good Nugget team without Ayton. To bad he is out 25 games but it looks like the suns are vastly improved if tonight is any indication
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Suns move to 2-1 and score 130 in regulation against the clips without Ayton. Need our NBA guys, clip, spiff and of course JMark to chime in on what they see early from the suns
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:Suns move to 2-1 and score 130 in regulation against the clips without Ayton. Need our NBA guys, clip, so if and of course JMark to chime in on what they see early from the suns

They didn't have Rubio either. They are one blocked layup from being 3-0 and they have played two of the best teams in the Western Conference.
-JB
wooha

Post by wooha »

azcat49 wrote:Suns move to 2-1 and score 130 in regulation against the clips without Ayton. Need our NBA guys, clip, so if and of course JMark to chime in on what they see early from the suns
This looks like a completely different team. They play smart and hard, and already seem to have good synergy and cohesion. Scrappy defense, tons of assists from all positions... hard to not be very impressed so far.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Suns not doing more to defend Deandre while he's now being called a "bust" marks them as a trash organization. Sorry folks, just my opinion.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not sure if the Suns will win this one against Utah but man they play hard. Not sure they can sustain that effort over 82 games but I am impressed. Just wish Ayton was on the floor.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Dammit. Be nice if we could get a call at home in the 4th.

Gobert gets the Jordan treatment.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Suns win again. Damn.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sixers game, and my first time watching Phoenix play this season. I'm rooting against them, which Frank Kaminsky makes easy. But my question is: How on earth is Frank Kaminsky still on an NBA team? He looks like a completely helpless doofus against NBA players. But he's such an on-the-court embodiment of Sarver that he's perfect for the Suns. I hope he's the new face of the franchise.

Free Deandre!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wow. Awful officiating on that tripping call.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Suns look like a mentally and physically tough, defensive-oriented team.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They play so together and defensively they play great help defense and they play hard. They move the ball really well and while Baynes was a stiff at WAZZU he looks like a guy who would make you forget Ayton right now
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49 wrote:They play so together and defensively they play great help defense and they play hard. They move the ball really well and while Baynes was a stiff at WAZZU he looks like a guy who would make you forget Ayton right now
After the remaining 18 games of the suspension, is there a world where Baynes and Ayton would be on the floor together for stretches?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:Sixers game, and my first time watching Phoenix play this season. I'm rooting against them, which Frank Kaminsky makes easy. But my question is: How on earth is Frank Kaminsky still on an NBA team? He looks like a completely helpless doofus against NBA players. But he's such an on-the-court embodiment of Sarver that he's perfect for the Suns. I hope he's the new face of the franchise.

Free Deandre!
When we lived in Tucson and adored the Nash/Stoudamire Suns I despised the Spurs for obvious reasons. Nowadays I love the Spurs and thank Satan himself that I can freely not give a fuck about the Suns solely because of Kaminsky. It's a narrow prejudice, I admit, but I just don't give a fuck.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Sixers game, and my first time watching Phoenix play this season. I'm rooting against them, which Frank Kaminsky makes easy. But my question is: How on earth is Frank Kaminsky still on an NBA team? He looks like a completely helpless doofus against NBA players. But he's such an on-the-court embodiment of Sarver that he's perfect for the Suns. I hope he's the new face of the franchise.

Free Deandre!
When we lived in Tucson and adored the Nash/Stoudamire Suns I despised the Spurs for obvious reasons. Nowadays I love the Spurs and thank Satan himself that I can freely not give a fuck about the Suns solely because of Kaminsky. It's a narrow prejudice, I admit, but I just don't give a fuck.
I swear, even if none of that stuff with Wisconsin ever happened, and I had no idea who he was in college, I would still hate that guy. He's clearly an assholeface, and he just flails around while demanding bail-outs from the refs.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Suns have a big game Monday night against the best team in the east, Boston. At 7-4, no doubt they have exceeded expectations.

I was told the other day that their coach, Williams, came to Phoenix because Jerry Colangelo asked him to go as a favor. I was told Sarver reached out to JC for help on a coach. Can anyone confirm this story?
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49 wrote:Suns have a big game Monday night against the best team in the east, Boston. At 7-4, no doubt they have exceeded expectations.

I was told the other day the their coach, Williams, came to Phoenix because Jerry Colangelo asked him to go do as a favor. I was told Sarver reached out to JC for help on a coach. Can anyone confirm this story?
I can't help with that, and this is the first I've heard of it, but it would be interesting. My guess would be that Colangelo is doing it out of loyalty to the Suns in all the organization's history, and not out of wet fondness for Sarver.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49

Re: 2019-20 Phoenix suns

Post by azcat49 »

Thx Longhorned. Looks like the info was credible. Nice to see JC helping and I was told that he promised Williams he would make it good if The experience ended up be a negative one. Sarvers rep is so bad in the league that he needed help of JC I guess.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Thx Longhorned. Looks like the info was credible. Nice to see JC helping and I was told that he promised Williams he would make it good if The experience ended up be a negative one. Sarvers rep is so bad in the league that he needed help of JC I guess.
Sarver's reputation is still bad because people dont see the big picture.

But his reputation is improving
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Thx Longhorned. Looks like the info was credible. Nice to see JC helping and I was told that he promised Williams he would make it good if The experience ended up be a negative one. Sarvers rep is so bad in the league that he needed help of JC I guess.

Curious what that big picture is? To suck and ruin one of the best franchises ever?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Curious what that big picture is? To suck and ruin one of the best franchises ever?
That Colangelo wasnt that good and he ran both the Suns and Diamondbacks into the ground financially. That the moves Sarver made were not that bad actually
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

People asking me to give feedback must not be aware I stopped watching the games until F Kaminsky is off the team.

I can only give statistical analysis.

Not watching games.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

That Colangelo wasnt that good and he ran both the Suns and Diamondbacks into the ground financially. That the moves Sarver made were not that bad actually
This is atrocious and I’ll not allow it.

If I see you defend your post above, I’ll make a special project of you until you weep from shame.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

JMarkJohns wrote:People asking me to give feedback must not be aware I stopped watching the games until F Kaminsky is off the team.

Not watching games.
That's too bad. You're missing some great basketball.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:People asking me to give feedback must not be aware I stopped watching the games until F Kaminsky is off the team.

Not watching games.
That's too bad. You're missing some great basketball.
I don’t know how, but I’ve been able to simultaneously yell at the screen while Kaminsky is in the game and hope his face falls into the wood, while enjoying the solid basketball the Suns play. It’s as easy to root for them as it is to root against Kaminsky, even though I wanted to root against them because of Kaminsky.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kevin Love might be available. He is owed 120m and is 31. Would you trade for him and put him next to Ayton?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:Kevin Love might be available. He is owed 120m and is 31. Would you trade for him and put him next to Ayton?

Nope
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just a few more games until Ayton gets this season started.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Up by 21 late in the 3Q and lost by 11 to the 15-23 Luke Waltons. Ouch
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've seen some stuff I disagree with about all-time Phoenix line-up. Here's the right way to do this:

Starters:
Dennis Johnson
Paul Westphal
Walt Davis
Charles Barkley
Deandre Ayton

Bench:
Steve Nash
Dan Majerle
Conny Hawkins
Larry Nance
Amare Stoudemire

Devin Booker
Richard Dumas at his very brief peak

That fantasy starting lineup would beat any actual lineup in NBA history, which is what you want for a list of all-time greats.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Ayton and the Suns are looking pretty decent early.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

WTF

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/19925 ... to-detroit" target="_blank

The Detroit Pistons and Phoenix Suns announced Wednesday that the Pistons agreed to buy the Northern Arizona Suns and plan to move the G League team to Detroit for the 2021-22 season.

The rebranded team will play in an arena that's currently under construction on the campus of Wayne State University.

The Pistons' current hybrid affiliation with the Grand Rapids Drive will continue through the 2020-21 season, while the Suns will continue to operate Northern Arizona next season.

Earlier in July, the Northern Arizona Suns announced they would be leaving Prescott Valley, Arizona, and moving to Phoenix. It's not clear how the Suns will replace their G League affiliate after selling the team.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

125 - 112 win over the Wizards

Deandre Ayton:
24 points, 12 rebounds, two triples, three assists, two blocks and just one turnover across 35 minutes. :shock:
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86 wrote:125 - 112 win over the Wizards

Deandre Ayton:
24 points, 12 rebounds, two triples, three assists, two blocks and just one turnover across 35 minutes. :shock:
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Great Game!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UofAlum05 wrote:Great Game!
Whoa, that shot was insane
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Suns look like a different team in the bubble. Can they make the playoffs?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Suns look like a different team in the bubble. Can they make the playoffs?
If Portland loses tonight the Suns will only be 1 game out of 9th spot.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Did they expand the playoffs or do they still need to be in the top 8 and if so are they going 82 games to determine seeding?